ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost will return for fifth season as Husker football coach with restructured contract

Looks like 4 coaches on offensive side of the ball just got canned including the OC. Frost now throwing his assistants under the bus just like he does with his players.
What quality assistant coaches and coordinators do they possibly think they are going to pull when the candidates know full well there is at least a 60% shot that will be a one and done year?

How is SF going to recruit when he is trying to keep his next round of super seniors, hitting the portal, and probably going to get canned in a year?

If I am an underclassman that is blocked I look to get the heck out of there as after next season you are looking at a probable coaching change and a coach brining in "his players" to replace you.

If I am a high school recruit there is no way I commit to Nebraska unless it is by far my top option.

This was a really dumb move by the Nebraska AD. Needed to pull the pin on this and start over as this solution just prolongs the inevitable for another season.

What quality assistant coaches and coordinators do they possibly think they are going to pull when the candidates know full well there is at least a 60% shot that will be a one and done year?

How is SF going to recruit when he is trying to keep his next round of super seniors, hitting the portal, and probably going to get canned in a year?

If I am an underclassman that is blocked I look to get the heck out of there as after next season you are looking at a probable coaching change and a coach brining in "his players" to replace you.

If I am a high school recruit there is no way I commit to Nebraska unless it is by far my top option.

This was a really dumb move by the Nebraska AD. Needed to pull the pin on this and start over as this solution just prolongs the inevitable for another season.
You hit the nail on the head and exact thing I was thinking. What assistant wants to come in for a job who could very well be losing in a year? Looking at other assistants who were let go or some unproven ones looking to take a chance. You aren’t going to get top notch quality coaches from other schools.

There is a reason for recruiting why Nebraska had gotten so few and no big 4* players because most can see the writing on the wall that odds of him being there in a few years is pretty low. and before todays news I’m sure some probably wondered if he’d even be there by the time they step foot on campus.

Funny how the article says Frost "hopes" to convince members of the "junior" class to return for their "5th, and sometimes 6th" seasons.

Nebraska is the only school in the country to demote their entire roster by one class year. This is Martinez' 4th year as the starter. He is listed as a junior. By keeping these guys around for so long, he's basically given up on his underclassmen and throwing away an entire incoming class. Shows you both how desperate he is, and what a disaster Nebraska football will be after next year.
I’ve noticed that with how they classify their players. I think they are the only school I can think of doing so. I’m sure lot of players are tired of him, the losing and looking to move on with their lives or follow wandale Robinson and go play for a school that can actually make a bowl game. Frost is banking on few guys coming back for their 5th year on the field and 2 on D cb Taylor Britt and Daniels. If he loses those 2 they lose bulk of their D already full of 5-6 year players.

Frost said, “They are all men of outstanding character and good coaches, but as we strive for better consistency and execution, we needed fresh ideas and voices on our offensive staff.” What assistant coach would want to move to fricking Lincoln, Nebraska and probably be fired along with Frost a year from now.

Pat Forde makes me laugh my ass off. https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/11/08/scott-frost-returns-nebraska-football-2022

Last edited:
Anybody else would be fired, but the the QB from the 90s! The funny part is their first five games next year besides Oklahoma aren’t exactly difficult. So it’s probable we hear about all this improvement and the right decision!

Nebraska HC Coach Scott Frost announced Monday that the Huskers have parted ways with 4 assistant coaches effective immediately.

Offensive Coordinator/wide receivers coach Matt Lubick Offensive line coach/run game Coordinator Greg Austin, RB Coach Ryan Held and QB Coach Mario Verduzco are no longer with the program.

Doesn't howdy-doody on roids call the plays? What a douche.
I actually thought Duvalle would be the first scapegoat cause that is a team loaded with Pussys.

• Haha
Reactions: ichawks
I may be in the minority, but I think NE is close to turning the corner. It doesn't take a sleuth to understand that they've been right in it with the best teams in the East -- played tOSU to basically a tie if their kicker had converted those 2 FG's, should have won at MSU, and was right there with Michigan. I'd prefer to see Frost get the boot so they have to start over with the HC position getting less and less desirable, but I'm concerned that he has it going in the right direction.

EDIT: Just read Forde's article in which he tries to debunk the "close losses to good teams" narrative. I don't think he did much to debunk the theory. They were pretty darn competitive with all of those teams despite many "experts" predicting otherwise. Forde notes the losses to Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota. Well, Illinois now has wins at PSU and Minnesota and is showing a pulse. Purdue blew out Iowa and beat an excellent MSU team. Minnesota won at Purdue. Those three teams aren't world-beaters, but they've proven capable of beating good teams.

Frost doesn't seem to have lost his team, and considering all of the extraordinarily frustrating losses this year that could so easily have been wins, that's a positive. I'd love for him to continue to struggle and I'm not predicting that he won't, but I think we're kidding ourselves if we try to pretend that there's no evidence that his program is making progress.

Last edited:
Perhaps this is Nebraska’s 21st-century lot in life: a fifth year for a guy who makes Bo Pelini and Frank Solich look like [Bob] Devaney and Osborne. Perhaps the Cornhuskers are settling for submediocre because they know that the 1990s are gone forever, and all that remains is nostalgia, dry and withered as an old corn husk.

I may be in the minority, but I think NE is close to turning the corner. It doesn't take a sleuth to understand that they've been right in it with the best teams in the East -- played tOSU to basically a tie if their kicker had converted those 2 FG's, should have won at MSU, and was right there with Michigan. I'd prefer to see Frost get the boot so they have to start over with the HC position getting less and less desirable, but I'm concerned that he has it going in the right direction.
I hate to agree with you but I also feel they’re turning the corner. The head scratcher is they’ve been competitive in every game regardless of opponent. Personally I think it comes down to Martinez trying to do more than he’s capable of.

If these coaches were so bad, why wasn’t this done a couple years ago? Saving his own ass.
Alberts knows he’s not doing any better than Frost. This little act buys him and Flop several more years. Those fans are so hopelessly stuck in the 90’s they’ll buy anything that indicates change is progressive and betterment.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
Trev just divulged the new contract layout. 4mil next year down from 5mil.

7.5 mil buyout, down from 15 mil.

Sounds like Trev has practiced negotiating skills at UNO.

I would never in a million years have guessed that Flop’s overall record is better than Bill Jennings’ was. I guess you learn something new every day…

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Alberts knows he’s not doing any better than Frost. This little act buys him and Flop several more years. Those fans are so hopelessly stuck in the 90’s they’ll buy anything that indicates change is progressive and betterment.
Restructured contract has significant lower buyout.

Frost said, “They are all men of outstanding character and good coaches, but as we strive for better consistency and execution, we needed fresh ideas and voices on our offensive staff.” What assistant coach would want to move to fricking Lincoln, Nebraska and probably be fired along with Frost a year from now.

Pat Forde makes me laugh my ass off. https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/11/08/scott-frost-returns-nebraska-football-2022
That’s awesome and very much true.

Reactions: obfuscating

EDIT: Just read Forde's article in which he tries to debunk the "close losses to good teams" narrative. I don't think he did much to debunk the theory. They were pretty darn competitive with all of those teams despite many "experts" predicting otherwise. Forde notes the losses to Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota. Well, Illinois now has wins at PSU and Minnesota and is showing a pulse. Purdue blew out Iowa and beat an excellent MSU team. Minnesota won at Purdue. Those three teams aren't world-beaters, but they've proven capable of beating good teams.

Frost doesn't seem to have lost his team, and considering all of the extraordinarily frustrating losses this year that could so easily have been wins, that's a positive. I'd love for him to continue to struggle and I'm not predicting that he won't, but I think we're kidding ourselves if we try to pretend that there's no evidence that his program is making progress.
I agree and our game with them had me worried from day one this year. I do think firing so many coaches at once will only make their continued climb even more difficult. Maybe they get lucky and happen to find the perfect fit at some of the positions but its not a very desirable situation unless you are someone who is a bit desperate.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
They had to throw some big red meat at their fan base. The meat will not be served in a bowl.

I like how Nebraska fans like to point to how long it took Ferentz to achieve success.

Ferentz year 4 = undefeated in the Big Ten
Frost year 4 = 3-7

LOL!
KF in 22 years has 10 years .500 or less in conference play. You take out the 3 scrub games that we play in non conference, thats not very good

• Wow
Reactions: ichawks
This tweets hilarious. How many coaches have they had since Osborne? I'm counting 6, yes they've really used restraint. :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT