ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost will return for fifth season as Husker football coach with restructured contract

I wondered how they were going to keep him. This makes sense because they get a restructured deal with I am assuming a lower buyout. However, it seems to just be delaying the inevitable. I am imagine there will be some more transfers and it is going to be hard to get guys to bring in because he is a dead man walking.

• Haha
Reactions: Golf_Bravo_Romeo
Frost salary goes down $1m and the buyout after next year halves from $15M to $7.5M.

They saved $8.5M and will fire him next year.

• Haha
A big part of the decision to bring back boy wonder has to do with the schedule next year. The fighting snack cakes have an extremely favorable schedule next year. Two FCS teams, one bad and one average. They cede the loss to Oklahoma, their crossover games include Indiana and Rutgers. If that idiot can't put together a winning record next year he never will.

• Haha
Yes, there has definitely been progress made. The defense is a lot better, the lines have developed and he has brought in talent.
However, so many one score losses over four seasons points to a coach that runs an undisciplined football program. He has yet to control stupid penalties, fix chronically poor special teams (other than Culp in ‘20) or stop turning the ball over.
Not to mention that he has the character quality of Steve Alford. Throwing players under the bus, blaming Mike Reilly for the state of the program when he took over and bringing in an alleged sex offender are just some of the ways that he has shown deficient character. Not to mention Clapgate, trying to get out of playing Oklahoma and his team’s violation of Covid policies by practicing last year.
Trev Albert is just prolonging this train wreck to lower the buyout and not look like the bad guy. He also knows that with LSU and USC already looking for coaches, that he has very little chance of landing a name coach.
Yes there D has made progress and has been good this year. However look at how many seniors and 4th year juniors (since Nebraska is only school who incorporates free covid year already) they have on there. Depending on Daniels and Taylor-Britt if they both leave among the seniors they won't be returning a ton of starters on D kind of like Iowa St this year. So you'll probably see some regression on that side of the ball next year since they are so senior laden. Also on offense you have a 4th year starting QB. As much as Martinez has struggled do they really think they will get better play next year if he doesn't come back for a 5th year of misery? Which all leads to the $64,000 question. What does he need to do to secure a 6th season or more. Making a bowl game good enough with 6 wins? Going 7-5, 8-4 or better?

• Haha
If not for NCAA losing it's collective mind since Covid and granting extra year eligibility to everyone than Nebraska's defense would have sucked like it's offense this year.

Their defense would have lost a major part of their good players - guys with 5 to 7 years experience including their leader in tackles, setter of the defense and overall biggest Husker brainwasher JoJo Dohman....who if he had any brain would call it a season, heal his injury and get ready for the NFL where he should get drafted fairly high....but he'll play on and risk bigger injury and NFL status for a Coach that just threw 4 coaches under the bus (he didn't have to).

Adrian Martinez has played with broken jaw most of season....again if he had any brain he'd call it a season, get his jaw fixed and figure out his future, because local Husker media has been laying it out for next year that Frost needs to go out and get a new QB. Frost no doubt will be first in line to talk to Rattler next January and other QBs in portal for sure ..but Oh he'll sweet talk Adrian to come back for extra year (for insurance only as backup).

Count me in the column of folks who would love to see Nebraska never win again, but as others have pointed out, they are improving. You can point to coaching if you want to as the reason for the gaffes that caused them to lose the close ones this year--be it Martinez trying to do too much, or special teams, or whatever, but they are right there.
I REALLY hope I'm wrong, and we get our $hit figured out, but I think we'll need to get 4 turnovers to pull out a win in Lincoln. Thankfully that's not a tough number if Martinez is in the right mood, but I can see us losing by two scores pretty easily. Again, I hope to hell I'm way off and it's another laugher in our favor, but this is one of four remaining games that scares me.
People are talking about their defense improving but it is a majority of seniors and juniors. Three of those seniors are 6 year guys. When you're 24 playing against 18 year-olds sometimes, yeah, you're probably going to look better.

• Haha
I hate to agree with you but I also feel they’re turning the corner. The head scratcher is they’ve been competitive in every game regardless of opponent. Personally I think it comes down to Martinez trying to do more than he’s capable of.

At some point you actually have to turn that corner though. I mean they've hung with good teams, but also they lost to Illinois. That's not turning the corner. They are probably going to finish under .500 and not make a bowl for the 5th straight season.

As an example, since ISU went to a bowl in 2000, they haven't gone 5 years in a row without a bowl. I'm not saying Frost is the wrong guy, or that he shouldn't be retained, but he's had plenty of time to put a team that at least can win 50% of their games on the field.

At some point you actually have to turn that corner though. I mean they've hung with good teams, but also they lost to Illinois. That's not turning the corner. They are probably going to finish under .500 and not make a bowl for the 5th straight season.

As an example, since ISU went to a bowl in 2000, they haven't gone 5 years in a row without a bowl. I'm not saying Frost is the wrong guy, or that he shouldn't be retained, but he's had plenty of time to put a team that at least can win 50% of their games on the field.

Correct. They play stupid, undisciplined football. It's the same story every year. Sure their talent is fine, but it's not good enough to overcome the crap they consistently do.

• Haha
People are talking about their defense improving but it is a majority of seniors and juniors. Three of those seniors are 6 year guys. When you're 24 playing against 18 year-olds sometimes, yeah, you're probably going to look better.

The reason the defense is better is because of the LBs...Henrich, Reimer, Nelson, Tannor, JoJo. Only one is a SR.

• Haha
The reason the defense is better is because of the LBs...Henrich, Reimer, Nelson, Tannor, JoJo. Only one is a SR.
"Juniors" on Nebraska's roster are Seniors on everyone elses. Only school in the country that decided to repeat their class listing from last year. Martinez is listed as a "junior," even though this is his 4th year as a starter.

"Juniors" on Nebraska's roster are Seniors on everyone elses. Only school in the country that decided to repeat their class listing from last year. Martinez is listed as a "junior," even though this is his 4th year as a starter.

You also said the defense and somehow resort back to Martinez..with or without Covid year our best two defenders aren't seniors.

Reimer is in his 3rd season - that would be a Jr
Henrich is in his 3rd season, rs as a FR - that would be a SO (rs)
Tannor also would be a true SR, JoJo was only one who came back as a super senior.

Hankins and VanValkenburg super seniors for Iowa.

• Haha
You also said the defense and somehow resort back to Martinez..with or without Covid year our best two defenders aren't seniors.

Reimer is in his 3rd season - that would be a Jr
Henrich is in his 3rd season, rs as a FR - that would be a SO (rs)
Tannor also would be a true SR, JoJo was only one who came back as a super senior.

Hankins and VanValkenburg super seniors for Iowa.
He's using one player as an example. Yet the players you list Reimer and Henrich are listed as Soph. and Freshman on the roster. And doesn't take away the fact good portion of your D is full of 4th yr juniors and 5/6th Srs. Your ENTIRE roster has incorporated the free covid year. The only school that has done so. But hey Frosty is coming back for a 5th year so all is well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT