ADVERTISEMENT

Scottie Scheffler thrown in cuffs on his way to PGA Round 2

Why tf did he drive away when I’m guessing the cop told him to stop.
Guessing he shouldn’t have been stopped but he was and thought he was above the law.
Maybe he didn’t know he was there? If the cop was grabbing any other door handle besides the driver’s, he might not have known.

Reactions: tumorboy
Somebody is going to end up with egg all over their face on this one once the body cam footage comes out. Dickhead entitled golfer or out of control meathead cop? Place your bets!
Well it could have been two sides. Scottie had witnessed every other player pass on by. Perhaps the cop didn’t realize the tournament players were allowed. And he decided it was Gandalf time. No more shall pass. And things just escalated from there.

I get that the cop is processing a scene involving a death, and that the 'usual rules' for traffic management may not apply under those circumstances. But this - and particularly the felony assault charge - is just overreach. I would imagine that the pga, and perhaps more importantly, the president of Valhalla, is having a conversation with the mayor and chief right about now.

Maybe he didn’t know he was there? If the cop was grabbing any other door handle besides the driver’s, he might not have known.
In addition to that it was dark and raining out with police lights flashing/glaring on windows. If he had the radio or music on there's also a chance he didn't hear any verbal commands to stop right away until they were yelling. Again, seems like a huge overreaction. Cop could have said didn't you hear me or why did you drive around and then listen to the response to see if it made sense. Hell, maybe give him a ticket, but immediately pulling him out of the car, pushing him up against it and yelling at him while you arrest him is a bad look. Then, to put all of those trumped up charges is laughable.

They had already allowed other players to go through. He, and other players, had already been permitted to go around the police on the other side of the accident. It's not like Scheffler was the first on the scene.
What others did is irrelevant. Did you witness everything that happened for this specific interaction? We’ll know the full story at some point.

He didn’t fight, they didn’t rough him up. I’d imagine charges won’t end up as bad as reported now.

Why would you put accident in quotes. A person was hit and killed.

It was tongue in cheek thinking the PGA was throwing a bone to their #1.

This was before hearing the true amount of volunteers, players and fans stuck in traffic

In addition to that it was dark and raining out with police lights flashing/glaring on windows. If he had the radio or music on there's also a chance he didn't hear any verbal commands to stop right away until they were yelling. Again, seems like a huge overreaction. Cop could have said didn't you hear me or why did you drive around and then listen to the response to see if it made sense. Hell, maybe give him a ticket, but immediately pulling him out of the car, pushing him up against it and yelling at him while you arrest him is a bad look. Then, to put all of those trumped up charges is laughable.
GIF by South Park

As stated, there was a separate accident close by, shouldn’t he be a bit more cautious and aware of his surroundings instead of blaring his radio and flying by police.

I'm fully aware of this... if you cant see police overacted you have blinders on. Other golfers did the exact same thing as he did.
Thinking the officer may have been a noob. And plain wasn’t aware. And decided someone needed to step up.

Reactions: TennNole17
Scottie said to the arresting officer, “I did not know you were a police officer.” With that rain gear on is it possible he thought the guy was just a nut walking in and out of traffic?

Probably, but you'd think a Sgt or Supervisor would have set things straight. To haul him in and and all of these BS charges just doubles down on stupid.
Cops will do that. I remember a Milwaukee Bucks player was parking illegally at a drug store. Going in and out. It turned into a circus involving about 6 police officers eventually tasering him and roughing him up some. All on body cam mind you.
On duty guy threw every charge they could get at him. Turned out to have a lot of egg on officers face. They went on their Facebook feeds bragging about the arrest and interaction. That could have been settled with giving him a ticket and moving on. Instead of making an example out of him. Cost us tax payers a couple million. All because some cops got their egos hurt.

Last edited:
Makes sense what happened.

Scottie got there and saw the traffic like there usually is for fan parking and he did what players do and head to their own entrance.

He had no idea there was an accident and assumed the cops were the event parking people. So he was like “GTF out of the way and let me through I’m one of the players.” Not knowing it was an actually LEO traffic situation caused by an accident.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT