ADVERTISEMENT

Scuffle

This

One thing that totally confounds me is how does anyone ever beat Gilman? He handled Garrett twice last year. He owned him. Garrett to me looks invincible most of the time, yet Gilman was his Kryptonite.

Styles make fights. Gilman struggled with Conaway all three times they wrestled last year, but Garrett tosses Conaway around like a rag doll.

I believe it was this tread that some one was questioning John Smith being in his son's corner thinking it would violate NCAA rules that prohibit a team coach from being in the corner of a RSing team member.

After spending the past hour trying to get my pass word right (and watching TCU come from 31 points down to beat Oregon in triple OT ;-0 ) i thought I would put out there a possible loop hole in the rule. Is it possible that "coach Smith" can not sit in Joe Smith's corner but Joe Smith's father can???

Just a thought!
I don't think anyone questioned it. It was brought up as a reason another poster might be confused about a dad coaching another redshirt as opposed to team coaches.

Papa....I missed Hawkman's post when I was trying to get my password squared away. I posted because some were wondering and it was brought up during/after JoJo wrestled in another tournament (believe it was the CK in Vegas). Figured their had to be a reasonable explanation.

Papa, that is what I find is funny, you called yourself a coach. Your son couldn't be coach by a coach. Also, usually the other wrestlers from the team that is there everyday in the room help coach the wrestler or the undergrad in the room like Chris Perry coaching Joe Smith. Just got a good laugh about it, you sure were fast talking when they ask you who you were. I understand why you said what you said, I've been there and said the same thing. I found it as a funny moment, nothing else.

Sorry, Mike… Who ever sits in the corner and yells encouragement is coaching a kid. That person can't be part of the official team coaching staff if the athlete in question is redshirting. Unless, apparently, the official coach and corner man happens to also be the father of the athlete in question. PBS meets all the above requirements so Why in Oklahoma would he be nervous at that point you described?

I know we are only talking semantics. I agree that it should have been called, so really we are in agreement. I probably should not have even responded.

I also agree there are some obnoxious PSU posters, but for the most part they are decent. Much like the Hawk fans. Most of you guys are awesome!! (This is response to CFNiteHawk85's post.)
You must have been bad last year and Santa missed your house, because you are being far too generous to the pen state JoePa apologists who post here. Who are these good pen state posters?? I see a couple that are ok, most I'd rather not have to view. Isn't this why these boards are segregated by school in the first place?

For those that want to get a real feel for the other schools fan's real feelings towards Iowa, go themat.com or some of the other sites and fight that battle for a couple years. I commend the guys on here that still do it, but it was one fight I grew weary of after a couple years. This is the Iowa board for a reason. If I want pen state JoePa updates I know where I can go and get the same BS--though the posts on the pen state site are much as you'd imagine them to be when they are allowed speak freely amongst themselves--even from some of the "good guys" that grace us with their expert opinion and analysis.

Maybe some of this bad fan stuff is because hiding behind the computer just my opinion.
I don't go looking for a bad discussion of wrestling. Last time in St Louis about 8 or more Penn State fans that I had a chance to talk with where ok and enjoyed the convertsations with them..Now they where not very young or very old like me lol but would guess it late 40's or so. I personally enjoyed talking with GOLDBANGER he would admit that he was impressed with the Hawks history and even said our day will come again. I believe he did coach at one time in high school.

The feeling is mutual minnhawkeye, not making excuses for idiots, but you have to remember all the years we languished in the huge shadow cast by Iowa and Dan Gable, it makes people nuts (and jealous). I think the recent success of our program has made a lot of people previously quiet quite bold and agree that the anonymity of the internet is a contributor. I did coach high school wrestling in PA, we won two state team titles and a runner up in the team race. We are going to miss you in NYC this year but hopefully see you in Saint Louis. Good luck this year Hawks and BTW, can someone smack the Big Ten people, us not wrestling every year is BS!!

Not even sure why the OSU troll is on the Iowa board trolling an guy from Illinois cornering a Minny redshirt.
Way too many layers for me. This is a great environment with excellent wrestling. Enjoy the wrestling like others in attendance.
Because you post here and Minnesota doesn't have a wrestling board this year!

your correct
6658155_700b.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT