ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU is a confident group.

When you read all the press coming out of Brookins, SD these days...they expect to come in here and beat Iowa. They are a confident team...especially the QB who returns to the fold this year after missing last year. He was saying they have one of the best offenses in FBS, FCS, or whatever league you want to discuss. It doesn't matter...they are going to score on everyone.

This kid was a good runner before the injury. As we all know...our LBs/Cash like to drop in coverage quickly and historically running QBs have given us fits because often we aren't accounting for the QB, unless he starts hurting us. I think this team is going to be a really good tune up for ISU. They are going to be able to challenge our defense...of that I'm sure.
They have nothing to lose.

I think the Hawks are fully aware of what happened in 2016 against NDSU. That was the 3rd game of the year after a National TV night game vs ISU. This is the opener and there is a significant sense of urgency in terms of offensive improvement backed by a much more physical ground game. This should be a perfect opportunity for play action to our TEs. SDSU is a damm good team at the 1-AA level but I believe we are going to physically handle them on both sides of the ball.

I have tried to evaluate this SDSU team and compare it to the NDSU squad that defeated Iowa in 2016. I expect this to be a good SDSU team, but I do not think that they are as good as the 2016 NDSU squad. The most notable difference, I think, is in the size of the SDSU front 7 on defense. The biggest SDSU starting linebacker is listed at 215 lbs. NDSU had a Butkus nominee middle linebacker who was 245 lbs, and two 290 lb DTs in front of him. The SDSU DTs are 6-1 270 and likely 6-4 280.

Offensively, the NDSU OL was massive. The guards were 331 and 322 lbs. SDSU has an experienced left side of the OL, but they are not as big. 305 for the LT, and a little under 300 for the LG. The right side of the line new to starting roles.

Simply put, I do not expect SDSU to maul us in the trenches like NDSU did. SDSU does have 2 large and experienced TEs, which will help them match up physically against Iowa. But I do not think that their OL can stymie our DL the way that NDSU did in 2016. Factoring in the TEs, I think that the skill players are fairly comparable between SDSU and NDSU, even though SDSU loses Pierre Strong and Chris Oladakun off of last year's squad.

Were any of you guys at the NDSU game jn ‘16? Coming off a west title and a rose bowl with a returning QB. I thought it would be easy too. We lost and they made us look bad in the process. I think Iowa will win but it will not be a cake walk. Close game in the 4th but some late rushing td’s and Iowa wins by 17.
I made some money that day, saw it coming a mile away and took NDSU and the points.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
We saw that the first half of CSU last year. PP chewed ass, made adjustments, and that was the end of that. It was however another indication of the offensive struggles to come. Fifty four yards rushing for a robust 1.7 ypc.
that was one game where it almost seemed like iowa had requested the refs to permit csu to mug us at will in the first half but call the game normally in the 2nd

Reactions: F5n5
Again ….a lot of very unintelligent fans on here. Could Iowa win easily…..sure! But probably not …..it has nothing to do with the Hawks not playing well. It has more to do with people underestimating a very good opponent. All of the players on this SD. Team years ago would have been division 1 players. They all have chips on there shoulders and the SD coaches will have them fired up. This is one reason why coaches don’t want there players on social media……the last think you want them to do is read crap like this and think they’ll be winning easily!
Did you watch any of the player interviews? Moss said they were preparing like they are playing OSU or Michigan! The team is not taking this game lightly.
As a fan, I am taking it lightly, I have that luxury. I’m expecting a lopsided Iowa victory! GO HAWKS!!!!!

Last edited:
I think they're going to be a tough out. They're good, they're experienced, and they have a culture of winning. They've got enough size to compete in the trenches, an effective dual threat qb, a really good tight end, and big receivers. Their defensive backfield might be their soft spot. Hopefully our passing game has gotten it together and can take advantage.

With their #1 tackler being a 6'1" 215 pound LB I don't see how we can't bully these guys with the run game. I'd make sure the Jack says hello to him for the coin toss lol

It’s natural to have confidence when the team you’re playing is a total nightmare on one side of the ball. Iowa should roll, but the degree of offensive ineptitude could mean anything could happen.

That said, I think the offensive improves enough, especially in the run game to take care of business comfortably.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
PS I’m pretty sure the other Dakota team that beat us a few years back, had won a few championships compared to this other Dakota team. . . They’re different teams all together, I can still remember feeling like Barta & Ferentz we’re feeling cheeky leading up to that whole meeting. It’s different now, recruiting and defense all together is on a different level. Can someone find the average weight and height comparison on the OL bc I feel like that was close on the other game and was very impressed with the OL from NDSU that one year not that I’m having 2nd thoughts or anything LOL :/

Nothing I've heard in the preseason makes me think the OLINE and SP are improved.
This is actually really concerning to me. August is usually the time when local media homers are going on and on about how great a team is doing at something this season compared to the last season. Instead I am hearing the same thing as you - offense continues to have struggles. When even the home town reporters can't paint a pretty picture about something....ouch.

PS I’m pretty sure the other Dakota team that beat us a few years back, had won a few championships compared to this other Dakota team. . . They’re different teams all together, I can still remember feeling like Barta & Ferentz we’re feeling cheeky leading up to that whole meeting. It’s different now, recruiting and defense all together is on a different level. Can someone find the average weight and height comparison on the OL bc I feel like that was close on the other game and was very impressed with the OL from NDSU that one year not that I’m having 2nd thoughts or anything LOL :/
SDSU's average for OL is 6'5" 301
Iowa's average for OL is 6'5.5" 301

• Sad
Reactions: cm8124 and amahawk
SDSU is no joke. They beat the brakes off D-1 CO state in their first game last year. A CO state team that later in the season iowa struggled with and only beat by 10. They need to be taken very seriously because they do have the capacity to beat iowa. I hate to beat a dead horse but please stop scheduling the best of the best FCS teams year in and year out. Does no good to beat them and looks awful to lose to them. I think iowa wins a close one but if the spread is double digits, I’d put my money on SDSU.

Reactions: Pepperman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT