ADVERTISEMENT

Sealey to PSU…

True story, the lower the population the bigger the litters are. I mainly do footholds for coyotes. Minnestoa Brand 550 offsets are my favorite. I do well, but every year, a few of them will show me how smart they are.
We try to set 4-6 footholds in 20’ circle around the bait…. A coyote will sometimes circle and smell the bait for a long time before they commit or take off. 9/10 times they’ll step in one of them that isn’t baited while investigating.

We try to set 4-6 footholds in 20’ circle around the bait…. A coyote will sometimes circle and smell the bait for a long time before they commit or take off. 9/10 times they’ll step in one of them that isn’t baited while investigating.
I've never trapped around a bait pile. Dirt sets, some drop down set, earth anchors, bait holes, lures, etc..

Reactions: Gobblin
I've never trapped around a bait pile. Dirt sets, some drop down set, earth anchors, bait holes, lures, etc..
Us either. We shoot them off bait piles….Skinned coons/gut piles/chicken coop droppings. Just scent lures for 550’s. Got a couple dumb enough to stick their heads in a 220 as well. Usually pups or adolescents. But snares in travel paths along fence lines seem to do best for us.

Cheap bag of dog food and set some of it out every couple days.. Set up near it some night and take bets if you will get more racoons or yotes. Thermals if you got them, if not settle for spotlights.

Last edited:
No, I'm from Iowa.
Minnesota Brand 550s are my favorite trap for coyotes
My old mans as well…. He’s a loyal national trappers convention goer every year…. You got an email or contact info you care to share?

They’re very hard to trap. Snares work best. We freeze gut piles and shoot them off them after deer season. Coyotes are tough though. The more you kill, the more they breed. My old man always says, If the apocalypse ever hits all that’ll be be left is the 3 C’s…. cockroaches, crows, and coyotes.
Your old man obviously forgot the 4th C - Carp.

Us either. We shoot them off bait piles….Skinned coons/gut piles/chicken coop droppings. Just scent lures for 550’s. Got a couple dumb enough to stick their heads in a 220 as well. Usually pups or adolescents. But snares in travel paths along fence lines seem to do best for us.
Agree, snares best. But footholds good too. Flat sets and urine/post sets better for the wise ones than dirtholes.

Reintroduce wolves. Won't eradicate coyotes but will help control them. Should be a popular plan in Iowa farm country. 🙂 It is quite enjoyable listening to them both at night where I live. Really freaks my new puppies out.
Young Amish kid from the family we get our eggs from shot an adolescent wolf 2 years ago during gun season down in our parts. Thought it was a big coyote. I’ve heard of other sightings as well.

Things keep going the way they are and we’ll have lion and wolf seasons soon in Iowa.

I think Iowa would be crazy not to go after the youngest Ferrari. As far as I know he’s never been in any trouble. If he’s ready to leave his parents at the house and be his own man then you definitely take him. Then watch him go win a title at 184/197
or however big he gets. The other two definitely not.

what weight class is Chittum? Could be not start this year at 149?

I think Iowa would be crazy not to go after the youngest Ferrari. As far as I know he’s never been in any trouble. If he’s ready to leave his parents at the house and be his own man then you definitely take him. Then watch him go win a title at 184/197
or however big he gets. The other two definitely not.

what weight class is Chittum? Could be not start this year at 149?
Tell me you know nothing in a single post…

Young Amish kid from the family we get our eggs from shot an adolescent wolf 2 years ago during gun season down in our parts. Thought it was a big coyote. I’ve heard of other sightings as well.

Things keep going the way they are and we’ll have lion and wolf seasons soon in Iowa.
There is a Wolf Sanctuary here in CO. Middle of no where. Took my Midwest Cuzs there several years ago

they’re in nice big pens. Wolves (mainly rescue) and Mixes (from dumb asses that try to domesticate them)

anyway the kooky guide was asked how to tell the difference from coyotes. Her response was “wolves look like wolves and coyotes look like coyotes “. Uuuh ok

There is a Wolf Sanctuary here in CO. Middle of no where. Took my Midwest Cuzs there several years ago

they’re in nice big pens. Wolves (mainly rescue) and Mixes (from dumb asses that try to domesticate them)

anyway the kooky guide was asked how to tell the difference from coyotes. Her response was “wolves look like wolves and coyotes look like coyotes “. Uuuh ok
I choose to see the positive in her response: she didn’t say wolves look like coyotes and coyotes like foxes. How 2022 is that?

Well it is the start of fishing season...I'm sure you'll catch plenty.
I think you have it backwards. He's the one who gets repeatedly caught. Mike Z eventually releases him but he's too stupid to realize guys like Grip only entertain him when they're bored. BTW, your nephew is a big dude! Very nice young man.

I think you have it backwards. He's the one who gets repeatedly caught. Mike Z eventually releases him but he's too stupid to realize guys like Grip only entertain him when they're bored. BTW, your nephew is a big dude! Very nice young man.

Thanks bro.

Right?

Regarding FS, here's snapshot of where things are today...

NLWC has nationally ranked FS guys:

57kg - #1
61 - 5
65 - 4,7
70 - 1
74 - 1,2
79 - 3
86 - 1, 3
92 -
97 - 1
125 -

6 of those are ranked in the top 10 in the world. This doesn't include guys that used to be in NLWC but left, being unable to break through - Megaludis, Joseph, Hall.

HWC has 2 nationally ranked guys:

65 kg - #9 Lugo
125 - 5 Cass

No one in HWC is ranked in top 20 world wide.

Hoping things pick up with the new facility, but right now, we are waaayyy behind NLWC. And their endowment was something like 10x that of the HWC.
3 of their #1 guys came from other universities Iowa, Ohio state, Cornell. They are searching out the best within their own program and outside….. hint hint

My dad and I have trapped Coon’s, possum’s, skunks and coyotes. Gotta shoot the skunks straight through the heart or it’s not fun. It’s also fun to chase coyotes on sleds. We have plenty of cats on both farms. They do keep the mice down for sure but they are a pain in the but sometimes. Dad has more patience for them(the cats) than I do. 🤣

Heard a lion roar one cold, calm morning while bowhunting. Took me a bit to gain enough composure to realize the sound came from the nearby roadside zoo. Funny thing is, never heard a roar before that time or since, but maybe has something to do with not hunting that property as much since the roar.

Reactions: el dub and Gobblin

If I remember right you are from SE Iowa maybe? Where abouts did this adolescent wolf get shot? Just curious because there were sightings of one years ago where I hunt and I think farmers lost livestock or sheep.

If I remember right you are from SE Iowa maybe? Where abouts did this adolescent wolf get shot? Just curious because there were sightings of one years ago where I hunt and I think farmers lost livestock or sheep.
About 6 miles NW of Cantril in Van Buren Co. The DNR had it full body mounted and is in the Van Buren Historical Society building.

Reactions: Herkuleez5
Heard a lion roar one cold, calm morning while bowhunting. Took me a bit to gain enough composure to realize the sound came from the nearby roadside zoo. Funny thing is, never heard a roar before that time or since, but maybe has something to do with not hunting that property as much since the roar.
Lol! I’ll never forget the first time I heard a bobcat scream. I was 15 and sitting under a tree in the spring gobbler woods with my 12 year brother.. The second time we heard it I scrambled for the decoy and we ran to the gravel road legit scared for our lives and headed back to grandma and grandpas for a pair of clean underpants. Lol

Lol! I’ll never forget the first time I heard a bobcat scream. I was 15 and sitting under a tree in the spring gobbler woods with my 12 year brother.. The second time we heard it I scrambled for the decoy and we ran to the gravel road legit scared for our lives and headed back to grandma and grandpas for a pair of clean underpants. Lol
Never heard or seen one, but a neighbor has trail cam pics of one I guess. Sounds like the same reaction a guy’d have hunting in the hills when the yotes sound off, making it seem like you’re surrounded prior to the dark trek back to the truck 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT