ADVERTISEMENT

Seating capacity of Fieldhouse?

Was there for the supposed last game against Minnesota. Triple OT loss, I believe. That place rocked! Had to start the next season back there again because CHA wasn’t ready until January
There's a radio show on Saturday mornings in the twin cities with Trent Tucker. Tucker talked about that game a few weeks ago, gophers on the B1G with that game or something

Speaking of small venues, the Seton Hall game is on ESPN2 right now. 1300 seats. Looks like the network has tapped into the livestream HUDL cam for the broadcast 😆

Reactions: BirdistheWord
There is a facility in Iowa City that would meet the needs of those that would like a smaller place to hold an Iowa basketball game, the "Xtreme Arena" would probably fit the bill.
Doesn't the woman's volleyball team play there?

The Armory had six basketball courts, iirc, always busy with pickup games. Is there a new facility on campus to help fill that demand for recreational ball? Or is the Rec Center - if that's what it's stilled - and the North and South gyms pretty much it?

Field House rocked and was a gazillion times better than Carver.

Loudest game ever was Iowa vs IU in 1981. IU had Isaiah Thomas & won the NCAA that year but Iowa beat them twice. My hands were numb from clapping.

Booby Knight got two Technicals and Isaiah got a Technical.

Last edited:
Reactions: drew_hawk
And todays youth think they have it better with their heads buried in a cell phone playing games or texting. I remember the knot hole seats at Kinnick, being an isle usher as a scout, sneaking a pony kegs into a game in college, I could go on and on.

Wouldn't trade the sixties and seventies for anything.
I was selling soda in the Kinnick stands when the famous streaker ran down the field, up the SW grassy corner, and right past me into a bathroom. I was maybe 14 at the time! Yes, they routinely had 14-18 year old walking thru the stands selling pop, popcorn, and hot dogs. We learned what weed smelled like at an early age, and also that people bought Coca-cola mainly to use as a mixer for whiskey. You sold more in the student section, but had to deal with drunks and students who thought it was funny to try and get out of paying. I usually stuck to the south end zone bleachers.

Also, they used to open the gates at the end of the 3rd quarter, and didn't care if people from the street walked in to watch the rest of the game for free. And they hardly cared if a kid snuck-in, as long as you didn't do it blatantly right in front of a Per-mar. With a $4 knothole ticket, you could sit anywhere in the south end zone (but they didn't sell them for every game). You could also take your season FB or BB ticket and get into Iowa Baseball games for free in the original baseball stadium next to the old Fieldhouse Armory building. Homers went onto Melrose Ave, and we went to the CWS in 1972 and won the BIG 10 that season. Oh, it was just glorious

Reactions: hawkirugged17
‘How bout a hamburger Bobby’
Ronnie Lester was at the free throw line when that guy yelled that. Ronnie cracked up so much he had to step back, compose himself, and then make the shot. My brother and I walked to this game, trudging thru a foot of snow to get to the Fieldhouse. Absolutely one of the best memories of growing up in IC was OUR version of IU's "Hamburger Game"

Field House rocked and was a gazillion times better than Carver.

Loudest game ever was Iowa vs IU in 1981. IU had Isaiah Thomas & won the NCAA that year but Iowa beat them twice. My hands were numb from clapping.

Booby Knight got two Technicals and Isaiah got a Technical.
That was the game that was moved to Sunday because of weather? Thomas took a swing at Krafsisan near the end of the game.

• Wow
Reactions: BirdistheWord
....compares with the old Fieldhouse. Whether it was the men's BB games, or pick-up games with students, or swimming in the biggest indoor pool in the US (at the time), or the long trophy case out front (Kinnick's Heisman was in it!), or just running around it as a kid (my brothers and I knew every damn inch of it), it was the best place on earth if you were an Iowa fan, especially if you were a kid

We snuck into Iowa BB games all the time--once even by cutting thru the Indiana locker room while Bobby Knight was giving a pre-game speech to his players
As a student my tickets in '76 didn't include the Indiana game. Sold out, tickets were scare b/c #1 Bob Knight was coming to town. My GF and I tried to coerce security to kindly let us in and we would gladly stand, but "not tonight". So we climbed the fire escape on the north side and wouldn't you know it, the door came open. What good fortune.

As a student my tickets in '76 didn't include the Indiana game. Sold out, tickets were scare b/c #1 Bob Knight was coming to town. My GF and I tried to coerce security to kindly let us in and we would gladly stand, but "not tonight". So we climbed the fire escape on the north side and wouldn't you know it, the door came open. What good fortune.
My dad took me and my brothers to that game, since he said it’d be the best college team ever that we’d be watching (he meant IU, lol). And he was right: the Hoosiers went undefeated in 1976

Anyway, we were walking down the concourse at halftime when a 2 x 4 fell down from the rafters and hit me right on the head, knocking me down. Didn’t get me full on, so of course we stayed and watched the rest of the game, though I did get a lump. In fact, leaving the game didn’t even enter our minds! Now I’d be in the ER for hours getting a CT scan or something. Anyway, totally worth it, even though we lost

Still have no idea where that 2 x 4 came from. It seemed weird at that time, too!

Attended a number of games while a student.
Sky king and Ronnie....woo hoo!
One snowed out postponement game vs IU was on a Sunday afternoon..I poached a seat in 1st row just down from IU bench...hawks won like 101-72...knight was raging..priceless!
Pretty sure it was our 1986-1987 team that was the first to ever put up 100 points against a Bobby Knight team. At the time we were #1 in the country and they were #3.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
My dad took me and my brothers to that game, since he said it’d be the best college team ever that we’d be watching (he meant IU, lol). And he was right: the Hoosiers went undefeated in 1976

Anyway, we were walking down the concourse at halftime when a 2 x 4 fell down from the rafters and hit me right on the head, knocking me down. Didn’t get me full on, so of course we stayed and watched the rest of the game, though I did get a lump. In fact, leaving the game didn’t even enter our minds! Now I’d be in the ER for hours getting a CT scan or something. Anyway, totally worth it, even though we lost

Still have no idea where that 2 x 4 came from. It seemed weird at that time, too!
5de52d44b2fc8a7fc6709383_wwe.png

Reactions: hawkirugged17
As for the home runs at the old field, that was left field. Behind the right field was the field that the HMB practiced on. I remember Fred Mims, if memory serves me correctly, crushed one home run that cleared Melrose Ave landing in The Melrose Circle dead end street.

Now you wait for an ambulance and probably get a hefty check. 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT