ADVERTISEMENT

Secret Service Director Cheatle resigns in connection with Trump rally shooting

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
U.S. Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle resigned Tuesday in connection with the assassination attempt on former president Donald Trump in Pennsylvania, according to a copy of a letter sent to agency staff obtained by The Washington Post.

“As your Director, I take full responsibility for the security lapse,” Cheatle wrote. “In light of recent events, it is with a heavy heart that, I have made the difficult decision to step down as your Director.”

The attack was the first against a U.S. leader on the elite protective agency’s watch in more than 40 years. Cheatle, a veteran Secret Service agent, had called the security failure involving a gunman shooting from an apparently unsecured roof at a Trump presidential campaign rally July 13 unacceptable and acknowledged that “the buck stops with me.”

She initially had said she would not resign and would cooperate with investigations into the shooting. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said last week that he had “100 percent confidence” in her abilities as Secret Service director, and a spokeswoman for President Biden said he supported her as well.
At a House oversight hearing Monday Cheatle signaled that she hoped to stay on the job and believed she was the best person for the position. But several lawmakers in both parties disagreed, saying she failed to answer detailed questions about what went wrong at the Trump rally and had lost their confidence
Several Republican lawmakers called on Cheatle to step aside, saying they had lost confidence in her ability to lead the agency that safeguards U.S. and foreign leaders.

“Secret Service Director Kim Cheatle should resign immediately,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) wrote Monday on X.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) called for new leadership at the agency on Wednesday as Cheatle oversaw protective services at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee.
“Last week’s near-assassination of former President Trump was a grave attack on American democracy,” he wrote on X. “The nation deserves answers and accountability. New leadership at the Secret Service would be an important step in that direction.”
On Wednesday night, a group of Republicans furious over the assassination attempt trailed Cheatle through Fiserv Forum at the convention, demanding that she explain the security failures.

“This was an assassination attempt!” yelled Sen. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee, according to a video of the confrontation obtained by The Washington Post. “You owe the people answers! You owe President Trump answers!”

She and others expressed frustration that Cheatle did not answer their questions about the lapses.
“This is one of the greatest security failures in the history of the agency,” Blackburn said in a statement. “She can run but she cannot hide. She is a failed leader and she needs to immediately step down from her position.”
Trump, who has said he was struck by a bullet that “pierced” his right ear, wore a bandage over it as he attended the convention. The attack killed one man and gravely wounded two others.

The shooting was the first time in decades that a U.S. leader was attacked while under Secret Service protection. In 1981, a gunman fired at President Ronald Reagan in Washington, wounding the president and three others.
Top officials at the U.S. Secret Service repeatedly denied requests for additional personnel and equipment sought by Trump’s security detail in the two years leading up to the rally shooting in Pennsylvania, according to four people familiar with the requests.

Reactions: Torg and h-hawk
Honestly, one has to wonder WTH she bothered getting roasted yesterday for..
I mean, there’s no way she wouldn’t have been subpoenaed at some point regardless, right?

It’s remotely conceivable that a great performance might have saved her job, but from the bits I saw, she chose to dodge, offer non-responses more often than not.

Needed. Good riddance. Hopefully a new director can restore some sanity and results oriented perspective and leadership. Whether you like Trump or not...a 20 year old amateur getting 6-10 pretty clear, pretty close range shots off at a SS protected asset is RIDICULOUS.

Any success, or near success, on an effort like this would only serve to give hope to a future attacker that they could be successful too...at whatever target they chose.

Can Don Jr step in as interim Director?

As we saw on January 6th, the SS has been corrupt for awhile now.

The positive in a situation like this is it will lead to a complete review of protocols to keep those they protect safe. Obviously, everyone became way too comfortable without anything like this happening in so long.

I would imagine there will be some revisions to procedures and if you thought that $2BB annual budget (or whatever it is) was a lot, wait until you see what it becomes when the scope increases

The buck stops with her, so this is 100% the right outcome. BUT, she also wasn’t directly involved with the security plan at the rally. They need to go deeper and discover what/who is broken in their process that allowed it to happen.
The breakdown happened at a lower level, but I have my doubts that part will be pursued by congress. They got their television coverage. I do hope someone investigates further on down the line.

Which would only confirm she had no idea what she was doing or what the job was about.

Regardless she’s gone and it would be a smart move for the Administration to appoint the best most qualified veteran of the USSS to the position.
Not that her chances were good, but a better appearance might have given her an opportunity.

there’s always the rush to judgment to find the fall guy…before the investigation is complete.

I mean, there’s no way she wouldn’t have been subpoenaed at some point regardless, right?

It’s remotely conceivable that a great performance might have saved her job, but from the bits I saw, she chose to dodge, offer non-responses more often than not.
might have, but a very very different timing and a very very different testimony.

Reactions: sober_teacher

Jim Jordan has taught us those can just be ignored.

From the little bit I saw it appeared both Democrats and Republicans were united wanting her to quit.

She is a scapegoat. Nothing more, nothing less, shit runs uphill. She is paying the price for some communication lapses and delegating too much authority to local police departments. But lets get real here, as much of an issue is Trump continuing to do events in areas that increase the threat levels because he refuses to pay event bills. Also the department will likely have to increase its staff to be able to provide the perimeter that the politicians think was needed in this case. Ultimately she had no control over that.

“Last week’s near-assassination of former President Trump was a grave attack on American democracy,”

But not nearly as grave as the first trump presidency and no where close to what a 2nd trump presidency would be.
😂 you are such a fukin woman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT