ADVERTISEMENT

Self-harm at ‘all-time high’ among Iowa LGBTQ youth

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Lori Ampey has lost track of the number of times in the last year she has rushed to the hospital to hold the hand of a parent of a transgender child who harmed themselves, or sat next to a child — her arm wrapped around them — contemplating doing the same.

Ampey said she often takes panicked phone calls from worried parents and teens in pain searching for answers and acceptance in a shifting, polarized political environment where they feel targeted. As director for the LGBTQ+ Youth Center at Tanager Place in Cedar Rapids, Ampey sees firsthand the stress youth and young adults face daily.

“The self-harm is at an all-time high for sure,” Ampey said. “More kids (are) making frequent trips to the hospital.”

She shared an anecdote of a child who had been coming to the center since it opened four years ago. Their mother uprooted and moved the family to another community, feeling it safer to get farther away from what the family viewed as harmful political rhetoric against transgender and LGBTQ+ individuals. But, away from the center and its support network, the teen felt more isolated and attempted suicide.

Last month, the family moved back to Cedar Rapids, and last week was their first day back at the youth center.

“The mother said she saw a smile again on her child’s face that she hadn’t seen in eight months,” Ampey said.

Center sees growing need for support, safe spaces​

Ampey and Tanager Place Chief Executive Officer Okpara Rice said they’re seeing increased need for mental health and community-based support and programs for LGBTQ+ youth, particularly transgender youth, in the wake of passage of recent laws by the Republican-led Iowa Legislature banning gender-affirming care for minors and restricting LGBTQ education in schools.

“I don’t know that they understand the damage they’re doing,” Ampey said of lawmakers. “At the end of the day, it’s them that are making these kids feel unworthy and unloved and like they don’t belong on this Earth.”

A Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll from March found majorities of Iowans supported legislation to restrict how teachers can discuss gender identity or sexual orientation and ban gender-affirming care for transgender minors.

The center provides a safe and confidential environment for LGBTQ+ youth, families and allies, where children and teens can express themselves and find support among new friends and mentors, Ampey said. It offers support groups, mentoring programs, social gatherings, community service projects, health initiative classes, parent workshops, financial literacy, tutoring and career exploration.

The center serves dozens of families, with small groups of children and teens numbering anywhere from 12 to 20, and adult groups with anywhere from 31 to 57 members. It draws families from surrounding communities big and small, urban and rural — from Oelwein to Waterloo to Iowa City.

The Gazette reached out through Ampey to see if any would be willing to talk about their experiences and challenges posed by Iowa’s new law. Ampey said none were willing to talk on the record out of fear of being harassed.

The center recently started a support group for transgender youth and their parents, in response to the new Iowa law prohibiting the use of puberty blockers, hormones and surgeries to treat gender dysphoria for those under 18, regardless of parental consent.

“We need more programs for transgender youth,” Ampey said, adding “parents are scared” and grappling with how to access medical care “to help their child be comfortable with who they are.” She said many are traveling out of state to seek care in Illinois and Minnesota.

Health providers still are able to see LGBTQ children in their offices but cannot provide gender-affirming treatments. Medical professionals who violate the law could be subject to discipline from a state licensing board, and individuals can bring lawsuits against doctors who continue providing gender-affirming care.

The UnityPoint LGBTQ Clinic in Cedar Falls has partnered with and is referring children and their families to 13 clinics in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois to continue receiving care, the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier reported.

The Tanager Place center also recently hosted Pfund Foundation out of Minneapolis, which is working to raise money to help pay transportation costs for youth from North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa to receive care out-of-state. Money raised would also be used to cover tuition costs for remote schools that are welcoming to all gender identities in cases where students' local districts are not safe spaces for trans and queer youth, as well as cash grants to support organizations like Tanager Place.

Lori Ampey has lost track of the number of times in the last year she has rushed to the hospital to hold the hand of a parent of a transgender child who harmed themselves, or sat next to a child — her arm wrapped around them — contemplating doing the same.

Ampey said she often takes panicked phone calls from worried parents and teens in pain searching for answers and acceptance in a shifting, polarized political environment where they feel targeted. As director for the LGBTQ+ Youth Center at Tanager Place in Cedar Rapids, Ampey sees firsthand the stress youth and young adults face daily.

“The self-harm is at an all-time high for sure,” Ampey said. “More kids (are) making frequent trips to the hospital.”

She shared an anecdote of a child who had been coming to the center since it opened four years ago. Their mother uprooted and moved the family to another community, feeling it safer to get farther away from what the family viewed as harmful political rhetoric against transgender and LGBTQ+ individuals. But, away from the center and its support network, the teen felt more isolated and attempted suicide.

Last month, the family moved back to Cedar Rapids, and last week was their first day back at the youth center.

“The mother said she saw a smile again on her child’s face that she hadn’t seen in eight months,” Ampey said.

Ampey and Tanager Place Chief Executive Officer Okpara Rice said they’re seeing increased need for mental health and community-based support and programs for LGBTQ+ youth, particularly transgender youth, in the wake of passage of recent laws by the Republican-led Iowa Legislature banning gender-affirming care for minors and restricting LGBTQ education in schools.

“I don’t know that they understand the damage they’re doing,” Ampey said of lawmakers. “At the end of the day, it’s them that are making these kids feel unworthy and unloved and like they don’t belong on this Earth.”

A Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll from March found majorities of Iowans supported legislation to restrict how teachers can discuss gender identity or sexual orientation and ban gender-affirming care for transgender minors.

The center provides a safe and confidential environment for LGBTQ+ youth, families and allies, where children and teens can express themselves and find support among new friends and mentors, Ampey said. It offers support groups, mentoring programs, social gatherings, community service projects, health initiative classes, parent workshops, financial literacy, tutoring and career exploration.

The center serves dozens of families, with small groups of children and teens numbering anywhere from 12 to 20, and adult groups with anywhere from 31 to 57 members. It draws families from surrounding communities big and small, urban and rural — from Oelwein to Waterloo to Iowa City.

The Gazette reached out through Ampey to see if any would be willing to talk about their experiences and challenges posed by Iowa’s new law. Ampey said none were willing to talk on the record out of fear of being harassed.

The center recently started a support group for transgender youth and their parents, in response to the new Iowa law prohibiting the use of puberty blockers, hormones and surgeries to treat gender dysphoria for those under 18, regardless of parental consent.

“We need more programs for transgender youth,” Ampey said, adding “parents are scared” and grappling with how to access medical care “to help their child be comfortable with who they are.” She said many are traveling out of state to seek care in Illinois and Minnesota.

Health providers still are able to see LGBTQ children in their offices but cannot provide gender-affirming treatments. Medical professionals who violate the law could be subject to discipline from a state licensing board, and individuals can bring lawsuits against doctors who continue providing gender-affirming care.

The UnityPoint LGBTQ Clinic in Cedar Falls has partnered with and is referring children and their families to 13 clinics in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois to continue receiving care, the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier reported.

The Tanager Place center also recently hosted Pfund Foundation out of Minneapolis, which is working to raise money to help pay transportation costs for youth from North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa to receive care out-of-state. Money raised would also be used to cover tuition costs for remote schools that are welcoming to all gender identities in cases where students' local districts are not safe spaces for trans and queer youth, as well as cash grants to support organizations like Tanager Place.

Likely has to do with the fact that many many more kids are identifying as LGBTQ+

It seems to me that a decent proportion of those kids now identifying this had mental health issues to begin with. It attracts that sort. Think of like of it like sad angsty kids finding the Goth sub-culture.

Otherwise, it's never been a better time to be an LGBTQ kid -- acceptance undoubtedly is at an all time high.

I know you can’t speak about LGBQT stuff without being labeled a bigot-

But just from a data set, seems like a skewed headline. I don’t think if you got to the root of the issues with these kids, it would be GOP policy, or exclusion in general.

Kids in general have it awful today. You used to escape your bully at school by going home. Now media allows it to happen 24/7.

I know you can’t speak about LGBQT stuff without being labeled a bigot-

But just from a data set, seems like a skewed headline. I don’t think if you got to the root of the issues with these kids, it would be GOP policy, or exclusion in general.

Kids in general have it awful today. You used to escape your bully at school by going home. Now media allows it to happen 24/7.
Which part of the headline do you think is untrue?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Which part of the headline do you think is untrue?
Not untrue, perhaps exaggerated? The LGBQ in youth phenomenon is growing each year. It would make sense the numbers would grow.
Seems catered to a certain audience, but what isn’t these days I guess

Reactions: BrianNole777
Not untrue, perhaps exaggerated? The LGBQ in youth phenomenon is growing each year. It would make sense the numbers would grow.
Seems catered to a certain audience, but what isn’t these days I guess
  • Suicide attempts by LGB youth and questioning youth are 4 to 6 times more likely to result in injury, poisoning or overdose that requires treatment from a physician, compared to their straight peers, according to a CDC report.
  • LGB youth who come from highly rejecting families are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGB peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection.
Which part is exaggerated?

Likely has to do with the fact that many many more kids are identifying as LGBTQ+

It seems to me that a decent proportion of those kids now identifying this had mental health issues to begin with. It attracts that sort. Think of like of it like sad angsty kids finding the Goth sub-culture.

Otherwise, it's never been a better time to be an LGBTQ kid -- acceptance undoubtedly is at an all time high.
This is exactly the two points I was going to try to make. Numbers are much higher now and this is BY FAR the best time to be alive for that community.

• Wow

This is exactly the two points I was going to try to make. Numbers are much higher now and this is BY FAR the best time to be alive for that community

A full grown well adjusted adult who went through all of the steps and is happy in life. How terrible, and where is he being forced onto people?
She sure looks happy in that most recent photo, doesn't she... /sarcasm

stop-stop-it.gif

• Suicide attempts by LGB youth and questioning youth are 4 to 6 times more likely to result in injury, poisoning or overdose that requires treatment from a physician, compared to their straight peers, according to a CDC report.
  • LGB youth who come from highly rejecting families are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGB peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection.
Which part is exaggerated?
For one- I never in my post said wrong- by the way- I said skewed. And your follow up doesn’t change my opinion on that.

A subset of youth having increased bullying, self harm, or ostracizing won’t surprise me. Kids are mean little shits- they will always pick on those “different”.

For one- I never in my post said wrong- by the way- I said skewed. And your follow up doesn’t change my opinion on that.

A subset of youth having increased bullying, self harm, or ostracizing won’t surprise me. Kids are mean little shits- they will always pick on those “different”.
You said "exaggerated", I'm curious which part you see that way.

You said "exaggerated", I'm curious which part you see that way.
Exaggerated in that any subset of kids who is deemed different will be susceptible to increased self harm risk by inherent ostracizing. The only outlier here was your second bullet point where families isolate them. Which, you can’t account for shitty parents.

I’m curious why you are nit picking this? Clearly is a tailored headline, there’s greater risks at play for our kids.

That said- I will out myself as one of those thinking kids declaring themselves as part of the lgbq community are doing so because it’s the next subset of kids who are ‘different’. Don’t know where you fit in? Change gender, be non binary, whatever. Automatically makes you part of a community, regardless of those outsiders who will taunt you. Doesn’t help teachers and staff hanging flags in their room- which why tf does that belong in a classroom?

Whatever, get off my lawn and such.

Exaggerated in that any subset of kids who is deemed different will be susceptible to increased self harm risk by inherent ostracizing. The only outlier here was your second bullet point where families isolate them. Which, you can’t account for shitty parents.

I’m curious why you are nit picking this? Clearly is a tailored headline, there’s greater risks at play for our kids.

That said- I will out myself as one of those thinking kids declaring themselves as part of the lgbq community are doing so because it’s the next subset of kids who are ‘different’. Don’t know where you fit in? Change gender, be non binary, whatever. Automatically makes you part of a community, regardless of those outsiders who will taunt you. Doesn’t help teachers and staff hanging flags in their room- which why tf does that belong in a classroom?

Whatever, get off my lawn and such.
Really, you think my daughter is gay because it’s cool? Were you straight because it was cool?

Keep chopping them up and pumping them full of hormones, that's the ticket!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT