ADVERTISEMENT

Self-harm at ‘all-time high’ among Iowa LGBTQ youth

I wish this was a subject that we could all start from a place where we all agree that suicide is a tragedy. But, given the vitriol aimed at LGBTQ kids, and the political gain that the most shallow of leaders see in exploiting fear and anger, I am not sure that a lot of people in this thread value the life of an LGBTQ youth the same as other members of society.
Do some of you think a veteran with PTSD who commits suicide should have toughened up and shouldered through the pain? The indebted farmer made bad choices, so his suicide was his own fault and not worth concern? Some of you need to look inside as to what causes suicide, and how you view it.

Last edited:
Where exactly do gays, in America, have to keep it under wraps?
Where I work. Not talking about drag parades, either. 20+ years there’s never been an openly gay person. I once witnessed two VPs stand next to a competent person we’d hired, who word got out was a lesbian, and they proceeded to loudly talk about how disgusting gays are. She took the hint and quit.

Where I work. Not talking about drag parades, either. 20+ years there’s never been an openly gay person. I once witnessed two VPs stand next to a competent person we’d hired, who word got out was a lesbian, and they proceeded to loudly talk about how disgusting gays are. She took the hint and quit.

Did she sue?

That could have been a lawsuit.

Sounds like you work for a very bigoted company.

I work and have worked with many openly gay people and it’s never once been an issue. I also live in a red state and I’ve never seen any open discrimination in public

I wish this was a subject that we could all start from a place where we all agree that suicide is a tragedy. But, given the vitriol aimed at LGBTQ kids, and the political gain that the most shallow of leaders see in exploiting fear and anger, I am not sure that a lot of people in this thread value the life of an LGBTQ youth the same as other members of society.
Do some of you think a veteran with PTSD who commits suicide should have toughened up and shouldered through the pain? The indebted farmer made bad choices, so his suicide was his own fault and not worth concern? Some of you need to look inside as to what causes suicide, and how you view it.
(Taking queue from the Israel threads)- Do you have a link showing that people want LGBTQ people to kill themselves?

Is it illegal? No.

Are they risking being harassed or attacked, or being called “groomers”? Yes.
Worse than 10 years ago? 20? 30?

Give me a break. I live and work in small town Northwest Iowa and there are several gay couples in our community. I work directly with at least 2 of them.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Worse than 10 years ago? 20? 30?

Give me a break. I live and work in small town Northwest Iowa and there are several gay couples in our community. I work directly with at least 2 of them.

I’m glad that “several” gay couples are able to live in your community without being murdered. Have a cookie.

Worse than 10 years ago? Yes. IMO, tolerance of LGBT peaked around 2015. Since then, there has been an explosion of right-wing demagogues who are reviving the tried-and-true tactic of conflating LGBT with child molesters.

I’m glad that “several” gay couples are able to live in your community without being murdered. Have a cookie.

Worse than 10 years ago? Yes. IMO, tolerance of LGBT peaked around 2015. Since then, there has been an explosion of right-wing demagogues who are reviving the tried-and-true tactic of conflating LGBT with child molesters.
Murdered? Were we talking about murder dipshit. Learn to read.

I think alot of that is due to the transgender explosion which has only happened the last few years.

Where exactly do gays, in America, have to keep it under wraps?
As noted in an earlier reply, look at what I quoted. I was responding very specifically to someone who said it is all ok “as long as they keep it within the confines of their own home”. Clearly nobody is arrested for holding hands or kissing in public, but there’s still a mindset out there I was responding to. If that’s not you, awesome.

Reactions: BelemNole
(Taking queue from the Israel threads)- Do you have a link showing that people want LGBTQ people to kill themselves?
Want them to, or don't care if they do? There is a distinction. The lack of concern leads me to believe it's the latter. Notice any new programs or even a study underway in Iowa to get to the cause and apply solutions?

Reactions: hawkifann
Sounds like you work for a very bigoted company.

I work and have worked with many openly gay people and it’s never once been an issue. I also live in a red state and I’ve never seen any open discrimination in public
Is that your way of acknowledging bias still exists and my point was valid? I have lived in a red state and even at a large hospital my wife had medical professional co-workers who could not openly live together in a same sex relationship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT