ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Omicron and booster discussion

It all seems to be about a risk vs benefit and @haw-key seems to be somewhat at the balance point where the evidence doesn't trip the scales to one side or the other. So, given what we know or suspect, I think it becomes a mater of convenience really.

If you don't get the booster, you may (more than likely) get covid. This will likely result in several days of being ill, but could be worse, could be better. The timing of this event is unknown.

If you do get the booster, you may (more than likely) have bad side effects for a few days. The timing of the event is controlled by when you schedule the booster.

Possible Covid (unknown timing) vs Booster Side Effects (known timing)

That is all I can come up with for someone in your case right now without more data. Specifically data about how your cohort (booster & no booster) fare against covid.
You know, I love this point. Thank you for the solid post. And I hadnt considered this angle prior. That alone is the single best argument for receiving the vaccine in my case. At least I can control when I get sick even if the symptoms Id get from both are very similar. Assuming that I will get COVID which I guess is still in debate since we dont have data in my cohort as you suggest and I have wondered about.

Lastly, though I haven't asked all my colleagues, I get the feeling that the booster has not been as universally received as the initial series was by physicians/providers. So I suspect am am not the only one with similar consternation. Those that have told me they received it said they reacted in a similar way to the second shot. Nothing, mild symptoms, or significant symptoms depending on the individual. Which I was hoping I wouldnt hear. Hoping they'd all say, piece of cake :)

Do we know if it’s possible to get infected with Delta and Omicron at the same time? It seems like that could be a bad thing if the two hooked up in the same host
Yes it's possible and yes cross over does happen.

I've had pfizer shot 1 and 2, had covid, and just got my booster shot about an hour ago. To me it is worth getting the shots. The benefits by far outweigh any drawbacks.

No symptoms from the booster shot so far although I didn't really have any from the first two shots. I know some co-workers were hit hard by the booster shots so maybe I'm just lucky. They all had the moderna shot though.

The shingles shot is NOT on my to do list. Too many legit stories about bad side effects. Let us know how it works out for you!
Had both, it's great protection. Have a friend who nearly lost her eyesight from the shingles. Not worth the risk to avoid the shots, imo, and Shingrix is highly effective.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
The shingles shot is NOT on my to do list. Too many legit stories about bad side effects. Let us know how it works out for you!
I'd definitely think about it. The wife had shingles and it wasn't diagnosed when she initially went to the doctor.....anyway, she had an extremely miserable experience, severe pain. ....I got the shots and didn't have any issues.

Reactions: dandh
I'd definitely think about it. The wife had shingles and it wasn't diagnosed when she initially went to the doctor.....anyway, she had an extremely miserable experience, severe pain. ....I got the shots and didn't have any issues.
Yeah, my friend was off work for six weeks, suffered immensely and was lucky not to wind up blind. It convinced me instantly - went right away and got the old shingles vaccine. When Shingrix came out I got it also (both shots). No problem with either of the vaccinations.

Also am vaxxed and boostered for covid. Others can do what they want, but mitigating risk seems to me a good thing to do.

That being said, it's up to people to make their own decisions, imo.

If I get the shingles vac as planned later this week, it will mark my 7th vac this year: pneumonia, flu, tetanus and 3 Pfizer jabs. Zero bad reaction to any of these other than a sore arm with the flu. Some of the comment on the shingles have made me a little anxious, though the wife had zero reaction to the shingles jab...

What every happened to people who had the covid donating blood to be used in fighting covid? Thing of the past, like disinfecting the subways and busses...

Reactions: GOHOX69
Just got boosted Saturday, boyz. This third shot hit me the hardest in regards to symptoms. It didn't really hit me until 24 hours after the fact. Had some aches, fatigue, and a slight fever. I've had Moderna each time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT