ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question: Would a low scoring loss to Nevada force Kirk Ferentz to fire his OC?

Nashville_Hawkeye

HR All-American
Dec 31, 2015
Nashville
Been a fan since 1964 and have been a huge Kirk Ferentz through the years. That said, these first two weeks are about as ugly as I've seen it. Do you think a low scoring loss to Nevada forces Kirk Ferentz to fire his son/OC? If not what will it take? Is Kirk on the hot seat, and will he get the ax if Iowa goes winless (or has 2 or fewer wins) in B10 play, which I think based on the first two games is a real possibility? Hate seeing our FB team look this bad! :(

He would never do it!
Nevada is probably the least talented team Iowa will play in 2022. I think there's a chance that after the season Brian Ferentz takes a job at a G5 or other school.

It's good for a coach to learn from different bosses. Look at Bob Stoops. Worked for Hayden Fry as a GA, Bill Snyder at K-State, and Steve Spurrier at Florida. He learned enough to win a national championship.

Serious answer:
There is little to be gained by firing Brian during the season. For this year, there is little that a staff change could do to improve our win total. The best we can do for this season is to continue to work the plan and try to incrementally improve. (The depressing part is that incremental improvement isn't enough to make this season successful).
At the end of the season, I suspect Brain will essentially be fired (He might leave "to pursue other opportunities"). I hope that this occurs quickly and does wait for the February signing date.

Kirk is not on the hot seat. He has earned the right to have at least one crappy season. Even at 2-10, he will get to run the program.

For me, even if I try to write off this season in my mind, I worry about how we can take a big step forward on offense in 2023. I don't know if Kirk is willing to make the strategic/structural change in how Iowa operates. A better quarterback, improved offensive line and average receivers is not going to be enough for Iowa to win at the level that Kirk (and Hayden) has made us accustomed to.

In my opinion, the big step forward in 2023 would need to come from a new offensive mind, hitting the portal for a few talents, and most importantly a change in the overall mindset on complimentary football. We have to accept that a more high powered offense will occasionally put the defense in a bad position.
I have thought for years that Kirk's ideal final score for every game is Iowa 18- Opponent 16. 17 points as the fulcrum does not allow us to recruit and utilize talented offensive skill players. That 17 point fulcrum needs to change to something like 27. That is a huge mental change for Kirk to make, I don't know if he can do it.

PS: I'm a huge Kirk fan and it has been amazing what he has done at Iowa over 23+ years.

Answer to your first question: No

For the rest of the OPs post, I submit the following: The offense will improve week to week from here on out. And, 3-4 weeks down the road, we'll be able to describe the offense as 1) improved significantly over the first two games, 2) Serviceable and somewhat complimentary to the Defense and Special teams, 3) As compared to the Nation....below average, but at least not in the bottom 10.

By the end of the season, the Offense will rank in the 85-95 range nationally.

None of that get's anyone fired.

First off, Brian reports to Barta, not Kirk. So technically speaking he has no unilateral power to fire him. Secondly, Kirk himself is virtually untouchable. Barring an act of terrorism, or being caught in a drunken orgy at the tri-Delts house, he is unfireable. So there is definitely no on-field loss....not Nevada or Iowa State or Iowa Western CC or Des Moines Hoover...that would be egregious enough to coerce changes of any kind.

Soooo....we all might as well settle in and either find SOME way to enjoy these games, or find SOMETHING ELSE to do with our Saturdays.

First off, Brian reports to Barta, not Kirk. So technically speaking he has no unilateral power to fire him. Secondly, Kirk himself is virtually untouchable. Barring an act of terrorism, or being caught in a drunken orgy at the tri-Delts house, he is unfireable. So there is definitely no on-field loss....not Nevada or Iowa State or Iowa Western CC or Des Moines Hoover...that would be egregious enough to coerce changes of any kind.

Soooo....we all might as well settle in and either find SOME way to enjoy these games, or find SOMETHING ELSE to do with our Saturdays.

Here’s how to enjoy these games:

aece030a-2b30-4dca-80f2-706863d72dd7_text.gif

I would think Brian would want to leave on his own. His reputation is being tarnished and there’s nothing to gain by staying here.
The only thing is that if Brian moves on, grandma & grandpa won’t be able to see the grandkids as often (if Brian has kids).

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
Serious answer:
There is little to be gained by firing Brian during the season. For this year, there is little that a staff change could do to improve our win total. The best we can do for this season is to continue to work the plan and try to incrementally improve. (The depressing part is that incremental improvement isn't enough to make this season successful).
At the end of the season, I suspect Brain will essentially be fired (He might leave "to pursue other opportunities"). I hope that this occurs quickly and does wait for the February signing date.

Kirk is not on the hot seat. He has earned the right to have at least one crappy season. Even at 2-10, he will get to run the program.

For me, even if I try to write off this season in my mind, I worry about how we can take a big step forward on offense in 2023. I don't know if Kirk is willing to make the strategic/structural change in how Iowa operates. A better quarterback, improved offensive line and average receivers is not going to be enough for Iowa to win at the level that Kirk (and Hayden) has made us accustomed to.

In my opinion, the big step forward in 2023 would need to come from a new offensive mind, hitting the portal for a few talents, and most importantly a change in the overall mindset on complimentary football. We have to accept that a more high powered offense will occasionally put the defense in a bad position.
I have thought for years that Kirk's ideal final score for every game is Iowa 18- Opponent 16. 17 points as the fulcrum does not allow us to recruit and utilize talented offensive skill players. That 17 point fulcrum needs to change to something like 27. That is a huge mental change for Kirk to make, I don't know if he can do it.

PS: I'm a huge Kirk fan and it has been amazing what he has done at Iowa over 23+ years.

We stick with Petras, but Kirk fires his son? Not likely.

Not immediately, nor should he. No one game should be determative.

At end of debacle season, maybe.
I think the frustration is that the offense had a debacle season last year, and this year is starting even worse. It’s understandable that no offensive staff changes were made, but I don’t understand not getting offensive lineman, receivers, and quarterbacks in the portal or juco. Nebraska brought in seven guys in those spots, including their stud qb from Texas and stud receiver from LSU.

Last edited:
The offense has been horrible EVERY year under Brian and has steadily declined every year. If it is not Brian's fault (Captain Kirk makes the calls), he is only severely tarnishing his ability to get a coaching job anywhere else as he looks like a total buffoon at Iowa.

For the rest of the OPs post, I submit the following: The offense will improve week to week from here on out. And, 3-4 weeks down the road, we'll be able to describe the offense as 1) improved significantly over the first two games, 2) Serviceable and somewhat complimentary to the Defense and Special teams, 3) As compared to the Nation....below average, but at least not in the bottom 10.

Petras better develop a bit better “aim” then because when plays actually develop he airmails it to the stands. We will see….I hope they do get better but they seem so inept now it may be too late for this season…

This offense isn’t getting better. We’ve played nothing but bad teams so far and it has gotten even worse than last year, and the level of competition after today will only get better. I’m sure Kirk and Brian are hoping beyond all hope their boy Petrash looks better today, which will validate their decision to keep playing the worst qb in football for the rest of the year.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145

No one game? Have you watched Iowa’s offense since he took over? It’s been awful, and now resides at the bottom of the nation. You sound like Kirk, don’t quite have the body of work yet to make a change lol. Yeah let’s give the idiot some more time to learn on the job. Brilliant

Just to get to 90th place, the offense would have to improve its average to 360 yds/game from around 160 yds/game. To make up for the bad start Iowa would have to average just over 400 yds/game for the rest of the season, including conference games against tough defenses of WI and Michigan...There's just no statistical way to get there.

What would "force" KF to make ANY change? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He is the ultimate authoritarian ruler. He answers to no one, and he'll always put family first. There's a lot of that going around these days.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Yes it has been a tough ride. I am just hoping that we can get to 95 in the country on some stats.

I think the frustration is that the offense had a debacle season last year, and this year is starting even worse. It’s understandable that no offensive staff changes were made, but I don’t understand not getting offensive lineman, receivers, and quarterbacks in the portal or juco. Nebraska brought in seven guys in those spots, including their stud qb from Texas and stud receiver from LSU.
You may want to use a better example than Nebraska if you want to support your premise. Michigan State last year would be a good choice

I assume sarcasm, because there's almost 0 chance that the offensive rank will improve playing OSU, Mich., Minnesota and Wisconsin while the early-season co-bottom-feeders stop playing the big universities for paychecks and start playing competition at their own levels in conference play.

I'll give you three have been some injuries, but Iowa was almost dead last last year even with those injured players available on the roster. So I doubt they improve without major shifts in offensive philosophy and QB play.

I'm really confused. Why wouldn't winning 0 Big Ten games be considered "cause" when firing a coach for buyout purposes? Or hiring your son against university nepotism policies?

Been a fan since 1964 and have been a huge Kirk Ferentz through the years. That said, these first two weeks are about as ugly as I've seen it. Do you think a low scoring loss to Nevada forces Kirk Ferentz to fire his son/OC? If not what will it take? Is Kirk on the hot seat, and will he get the ax if Iowa goes winless (or has 2 or fewer wins) in B10 play, which I think based on the first two games is a real possibility? Hate seeing our FB team look this bad! :(
No!

You may want to use a better example than Nebraska if you want to support your premise. Michigan State last year would be a good choice
Why? Nebraska’s offense has scored 28, 38, and 42 points through three games. Iowa is averaging 5 points a game. Palmer and Thompson have been great for them.

I don't think BF will be fired mid-season, either, but don't pretend that we're dealing with a problem that's been going on for only a few games. We're witnessing a multi-year decline coming to a head.

Brian is not going to get fired. No chance that will ever happen. What will happen is Kirk will make some phone calls and inform Brian that it is in his best interest to take a job at Bowling Green or some place like that.

That's a very bold prediction. Right now, the #95 offense is averaging 361.5 ypg. Iowa's offense has been so bad the first two games that they would need to average 402.2 ypg over the next ten games to make that happen.
Not only that be we will be seeing much better defenses. I hope we do not very likely

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT