ADVERTISEMENT

Why would a coach want to be OC at Iowa: Challenge, success, be the next genius

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Man there is a lot of angst in the thread about Kirk searching for a new OC. I bet there are a lot of coaches who would want the challenge. Remember most all of them were college athletes and aggressive and loved the challenge and competition.

And turning the Iowa offense around to even being a good offense will make them a big success.

And then there is the genius label which I think is so effing lame when it comes to sporting figures and coaches. Geniuses are people like Prof Richard Feynman who figured out with his team how electrons will interact with each other which helped lead to the amazing computer and other electronics we have now, a theory called Quantum Electrodynamics.

But go ahead and call coaches like Saban a genius.

Saban was a genius in that he knew he had to keep up with the Jones in the SEC offensively. He also was genius to know in order to keep up with the Jones in the SEC he had to up his recruiting acumen.

He was very much a genius. Or not insane

Embracing change doesn't necessarily make you a genius but it sure helps

Man there is a lot of angst in the thread about Kirk searching for a new OC. I bet there are a lot of coaches who would want the challenge. Remember most all of them were college athletes and aggressive and loved the challenge and competition.

And turning the Iowa offense around to even being a good offense will make them a big success.

And then there is the genius label which I think is so effing lame when it comes to sporting figures and coaches. Geniuses are people like Prof Richard Feynman who figured out with his team how electrons will interact with each other which helped lead to the amazing computer and other electronics we have now, a theory called Quantum Electrodynamics.

But go ahead and call coaches like Saban a genius.
WlLE01.gif

A lot would depend on the level of control that Kirk is willing to give a new OC.

I'd be a lot more reluctant as a candidate if KF's expectations are no major changes in personnel or scheme. The idea that the same personnel and same game plans executing better would fix things is a fantasy. Kirk has a terrible read on what makes for a good qb, so I'd want him to stay hands off that decision.

Kirk Ferentz’s Iowa Hawkeyes just won ten games running the worst offense in college football.
If you believe that he thinks he needs to make any changes, or would hire someone who wanted to make changes, then I’m afraid you’re probably going to be very disappointed with the OC hire.

I've never understood this argument. People just don't take more difficult jobs for less money because it's a challenge. No one sees a "challenge" as super desirable, except fans desperate to manufacture any reason why a coach might defy all logic and make a downward career move.

Kirk Ferentz’s Iowa Hawkeyes just won ten games running the worst offense in college football.
If you believe that he thinks he needs to make any changes, or would hire someone who wanted to make changes, then I’m afraid you’re probably going to be very disappointed with the OC hire.
Yes.
In no way has he said or demonstrated by action that he wants significant changes on offense.
The most likely scenario is that whoever is brought in will be following the KF model: slow footed qb stuck in the pocket, wrs primarily as blockers, playing for field position rather than to score, etc. Still boring as hell, but hopefully enough tweaks to get them out of the cellar as one of the all time worst.

The bar for OC at Iowa is pretty low. All you have to do is not be terrible. If you do an average job, you'll be a hero.
I think it would be a great opportunity for an up and comer, but I seriously doubt Kirk would ever hire one. He's going to bring in someone who is approaching the end of their coaching career who just wants to collect a steady paycheck and do what he's told, just like Greg Davis did.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
The bar for OC at Iowa is pretty low. All you have to do is not be terrible. If you do an average job, you'll be a hero.
I think it would be a great opportunity for an up and comer, but I seriously doubt Kirk would ever hire one. He's going to bring in someone who is approaching the end of their coaching career who just wants to collect a steady paycheck and do what he's told, just like Greg Davis did.
Bingo. Can say that about the whole program. Bar is pretty low. No expectations, shut out Rutgers, let Nebraska beat themselves, beat an eventual 6-6 PennSt once in awhile. Lose only 28-0 to Michigan. Go to a toilet bowl. Good gig.

Bingo. Can say that about the whole program. Bar is pretty low. No expectations, shut out Rutgers, let Nebraska beat themselves, beat an eventual 6-6 PennSt once in awhile. Lose only 28-0 to Michigan. Go to a toilet bowl. Good gig.
Oh, Mr. Irrelevant making an appearance. Keep working on your no bowl streak…you insufferable douche.

Sorry but nobody is going to take a chance on Iowa just for the love of the challenge. Any exciting up and comer is going to look at what this team has been for the last 10 years and conclude that it would be somewhere between a dead end and career suicide. The reason were talking about guys like Chryst and Philbin is that they're established and likely past the apex of their careers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT