ADVERTISEMENT

Serious thread about 2018

HawkNole09

HR MVP
Sep 20, 2009
I think this year comes down to three things:
1) Pace of development for the LB unit during the first half of the season
2) Progress of the WRs becoming consistent, reliable targets (in the right place at the right time)
3) Wisconsin.

If we can check off all three this can be a special season. Usually there’s a unit or two that you can look at and say — we’re probably going to struggle a bit here. But this year I think all the pieces, all the athletes are there. Even at LB — the guys probably have the athletic upside compared to the guys we had last year.

Also, unrelated — BF had a really difficult 1st year. The run game was abysmal mostly. We sure couldn’t run when we wanted to. And BF only had one reliable target on the perimeter. He did, as a result, throw over the middle 1/3 of the field more than we’d seen in the last 10-15 years. And that, I think will pay dividends this year as we run the ball a little better and have players with experience and athleticism on the outside. I hope it’s not too much to ask for the offense to be 10-15% better than they were last year.

So let’s get down to a serious discussion. What’s it going to take to paint the BTCG Black and Gold?

Reactions: David1979
Need Stanley to avoid a sophomore slump and have LB's produce to a mediocre level at least.

Winning more games then Wisconsin. :)
giphy.gif

Reactions: texashawkeye87
Hard to argue with the OP.

Two things that I would add would be the interior OL and the RB position. I think that we know the floor of the WR position. Last year Iowa had nobody with any experience, other than Vande Berg coming off of a significant injury. This year Iowa has everyone back except Vande Berg. If Iowa has normal player development out of the second year WRs, and Easley plays like he did last year, I think we will be significantly better at WR than we were last year.

Last year, the interior OL was veteran while the tackles ended up being brand new. This year, it is just the opposite. This tackle tandem has the potential to be great. The interior OL needs to have health and continuity.

I like the RB potential, but Wadley was an extraordinarily elusive back in space. He will be missed in the passing game. But if the new RBs can be solid in space, while running more effectively inside, I think that the offense can be very good.

On the defensive side, I understand that Iowa is replacing Josh Jackson, but the secondary does not concern me. I think that defensive success is tied almost exclusively to the development of the LB corps.

It still boggles my mind how a team blows out Ohio St one week with a stellar game plan and then lays a total turd at Madison with a horrible conservative game plan. Help me understand this phenomenon other than "that's football".

Wisconsin’s defensive coordinator definitely had a better game plan than Ohio State’s.

It still boggles my mind how a team blows out Ohio St one week with a stellar game plan and then lays a total turd at Madison with a horrible conservative game plan. Help me understand this phenomenon other than "that's football".
youth played a huge role in last years teams ups and downs. last years team saw a total of 13 1st year starters, OL Levi started at RT in the bowl win over BC while Wirfs started at LT.

the middle of the OL as some make it out to be
RSJR Levi has been the backup at RG behind Welsh since his RSFR year
SR Renders was has been the starting LG and he started at center last season when Daniels was hurt,
SR Reynold was the backup to Renders and started at LG when Render played C

as far as the comment about nobody is as fast as Jewell or any of the other LB'rs, is a totally false statement.

I remember many on here wanted Bower yanked because he was the worst LB on the team
Niemann is being replaced by his younger brother.
if the coaches can turn a pair of 2* and a walk on into NFL caliber players. I am anxious to see what they can do with 3* players
Nick is a RSSO 6'3 233 lbs
Mends is a RSJR 6'0 235 lbs
Welch is a JR 6'4 235 lbs

SO its not like they will be starting FR/RSFR this time around. nor are they small .

Reactions: JoelBittner
Simple, OSU was not that good. I went to the OSU game, totally expecting Iowa to win. I expected it while my hawk friends did not.

youth played a huge role in last years teams ups and downs. last years team saw a total of 13 1st year starters, OL Levi started at RT in the bowl win over BC while Wirfs started at LT.

the middle of the OL as some make it out to be
RSJR Levi has been the backup at RG behind Welsh since his RSFR year
SR Renders was has been the starting LG and he started at center last season when Daniels was hurt,
SR Reynold was the backup to Renders and started at LG when Render played C

as far as the comment about nobody is as fast as Jewell or any of the other LB'rs, is a totally false statement.

I remember many on here wanted Bower yanked because he was the worst LB on the team
Niemann is being replaced by his younger brother.
if the coaches can turn a pair of 2* and a walk on into NFL caliber players. I am anxious to see what they can do with 3* players
Nick is a RSSO 6'3 233 lbs
Mends is a RSJR 6'0 235 lbs
Welch is a JR 6'4 235 lbs

SO its not like they will be starting FR/RSFR this time around. nor are they small .

Bingo I'm not that worried about the interior ol. Render is solid and loves the center position, Reynolds is solid as well and played quite a bit. If Levi can get healthy and stay healthy we have a very capable starting 5. It's what's after that that is worrisome.

Gersonde will be an above average punter.

Stanley will be better.

WR's will be better but that's not saying much. Smith and ISM are the keys. Easley is a good player.

Corners are good but I'll feel better if Rugamba has a rebound year. Hankins is our next great one. Great freshman class watch out for Terry Roberts.

Safeties are the best at Iowa in my memory. Again another great freshman class. Craddieth and Brents wow.

LBers is a sore spot, talent but green. Could be a good unit by bowl season. My sleeper is Colbert.

TE's the best in the BIG and comparable to any unit in the country. Nate Wieting is often overlooked.

RB's are decent maybe IKM emerges. Adding Sargeant was a very good move. Love what his juco coaches say about him. Fullbacks are tough.

Dl is good if Matt Nelson comes back healthy which I think he will. Can't wait to see AJ and A Nelson this year.

BF will be more comfortable this year. I see a more wide open approach.

There's my overly optimistic outlook.

Bingo I'm not that worried about the interior ol. Render is solid and loves the center position, Reynolds is solid as well and played quite a bit. If Levi can get healthy and stay healthy we have a very capable starting 5. It's what's after that that is worrisome.

Gersonde will be an above average punter.

Stanley will be better.

WR's will be better but that's not saying much. Smith and ISM are the keys. Easley is a good player.

Corners are good but I'll feel better if Rugamba has a rebound year. Hankins is our next great one. Great freshman class watch out for Terry Roberts.

Safeties are the best at Iowa in my memory. Again another great freshman class. Craddieth and Brents wow.

LBers is a sore spot, talent but green. Could be a good unit by bowl season. My sleeper is Colbert.

TE's the best in the BIG and comparable to any unit in the country. Nate Wieting is often overlooked.

RB's are decent maybe IKM emerges. Adding Sargeant was a very good move. Love what his juco coaches say about him. Fullbacks are tough.

Dl is good if Matt Nelson comes back healthy which I think he will. Can't wait to see AJ and A Nelson this year.

BF will be more comfortable this year. I see a more wide open approach.

There's my overly optimistic outlook.

Yessssss Terry Roberts is a major sleeper

Simple, OSU was not that good. I went to the OSU game, totally expecting Iowa to win. I expected it while my hawk friends did not.

I’d like to be ‘not that good’ losing 2 games all season. Last time I checked OSU beats us, often soundly, just about every time we face them.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
I’d like to be ‘not that good’ losing 2 games all season. Last time I checked OSU beats us, often soundly, just about every time we face them.

Yeah I'd take their down years. Of course they couldn't compete in the mighty big 12o_O

Reactions: And1Hawk
these are the listed backups on the OL
LT 4* RSFR Kallenberg 6'6 295 lbs
LG RSFR Kirkpatrick 6'5 290 lbs a converted DL
C RSSO Banwart 6'4 295 lbs
RG RSJR Landen Paulson 6'5 305 lbs
RT RSSR Ferguson 6'4 315 lbs

the left side is young but the right side has the experience. so yes there is a concern on the backups. the key will be how that rotate the players in and out during the season to keep them fresh and yet give the younger Players experience.

but with me I don't worry about the OL as KF still has a strong influence on these players development. one more thing they are no longer are bringing players that need to have 60-70 lbs on to become OL.

Reactions: iamia
Anyone who "expected" Iowa would beat OSU should join the NWS and predict weather. I expected the game to be over by halftime. It was a great, but unexpected moment in Hawkeye history.
But by CyClown logic, Iowa beat them at their place and because every team in the Big 12 besides Kansas is better than every team in the B1G, Iowa should naturally have been able to beat OSU.

That's easy. tOSU came out and tried to play us straight up. While our freshman tackles had a nice skill set, they were still really green. They were thrown no curve balls so they could just do what they know how to do.

Wisconsin, on the other hand, came out defensively and really mixed things up. They stunted, blitzed, disguised where the rush was coming from and the offensive line simply could not cope. It's possible they benefited from the tOSU tape and figured they needed to do that, or maybe their DC was just that savvy.

Regardless, Iowa's O-line last year was not mature enough to handle a really varied and creative front 7 and that's why Wisconsin shut Iowa down. In the absence of injuries forcing us to play two freshman on the 0-line, I'd be really surprised if they can be that disruptive this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT