ADVERTISEMENT

Shameless, embarrassment Republicans taking credit for Infrastructure they voted against

Under which administration was the infrastructure bill passed and which party voted unanimously against it?

Pull your panties out of a wad and give credit where it is due.

Thank you fellow taxpayers,.. Hopefully the federal government is able to spend at least 50% of these hard earned dollars on actual infrastructure improvements.

Do you look at their policy...or just the letter by their name when you vote?

Do YOU look at their policy?

All I see on the Conservative side is discriminating against and bullying people who aren't straight and white.
And "moderate" conservatives who will not stand up to the extremists.

What do I see from Biden, et al?

• Major infrastructure bill passed (topic of this thread; during 4 years of Trump all we heard about was Infrastructure Week and got NOTHING)
  • Inflation Reduction Act - major long-term energy cost savings for Americans who will be able to purchase higher-efficiency appliances, etc and every dollar saved on energy goes to other goods/services
  • Full support for Ukraine against Russian aggression
  • Fair treatment of people who are unpopular minorities (pretty much what Jesus taught us)

What motivations are there to vote for whatever the alleged "Conservative platform" is?

Because I cannot see them standing for anything except tax cuts for the 1%-ers, bigotry against Americans who don't fit their view of a lily-white straight population and abortion bans.

This isn't a remotely close decision for me.

And NOW, Medicare drug price negotiations, something an overwhelming majority of Americans are FOR.

Why are you MAGAs against it?

Do you LIKE paying more for pharmaceuticals?
Do you LIKE Medicare drug prices that are un-competitive driving US deficit spending higher?

And NOW, Medicare drug price negotiations, something an overwhelming majority of Americans are FOR.

Why are you MAGAs against it?

Do you LIKE paying more for pharmaceuticals?
Do you LIKE Medicare drug prices that are un-competitive driving US deficit spending higher?

I do not have a problem with Medicare trying to get the best price.

I have a problem when you force a private company to give the government a price it wants.

I have a problem when you force a private company to give the government a price it wants.
Do you have a problem when a company forces the government to take the price it wants?

Because other nations negotiate pricing, and pay $0.10 or less on the dollar what Americans do.

Do you have a problem when a company forces the government to take the price it wants?

Because other nations negotiate pricing, and pay $0.10 or less on the dollar what Americans do.

Unfortunately some one has to make it profitable to put in the R&D on making the drug.

Yes you can pull up example where they were stupid...but for the most part pricing is going to reflect the cost of the research that went into that drug...and the cost of the research that went into every failed drug...and the cost of on going research.

Take the profit out and you are not getting the new drugs.

Take the tens of billions in marketing away, and they have loads more cash for more drug development.

They wouldn't market if they did not make money off the marketing...so they would actually have less cash to develop new drugs.

The thing I don't get about drug pricing is it is very similar to the pricing of other products.

An item that costs 25 cents to make, you find in stores for 20 bucks. Pretty common in plastics and such.

Who is claiming it cannot be profitable?

Those drug companies are selling the same drugs to Canada and Europe for $0.10 on the dollar for what they get here. And guess what? THEY MAKE A PROFIT ON THEM AT THAT PRICE POINT.

Yes...because they are making money off the raw materials while Americans pay the premium to fund the research.

Not saying it's right...just saying you get Canada and Europe drug prices in the US then someone is going to have to step in and spend the research money because drug companies will basically stop.

They wouldn't market if they did not make money off the marketing...so they would actually have less cash to develop new drugs.

The thing I don't get about drug pricing is it is very similar to the pricing of other products.

An item that costs 25 cents to make, you find in stores for 20 bucks. Pretty common in plastics and such.
You can't compare medicine to a plastic item at a store. The plastic item will have alternatives and will need to adjust to what the consumer is willing to pay. Pharma dictates their price and it is a necessity for many Americans.

Yes...because they are making money off the raw materials while Americans pay the premium to fund the research.
Which is why - IF the US government is given the same level playing field to negotiate pricing just like the rest of the world - Americans WILL NOT subsidize that "premium".

You seem to have trouble understanding this point.

Reactions: nelly02

Not saying it's right...just saying you get Canada and Europe drug prices in the US then someone is going to have to step in and spend the research money because drug companies will basically stop.

European companies were literally buying the negotiated rate products, repackaging them, and selling them back to Americans for LESS than what the drug companies would charge directly.

You can't compare medicine to a plastic item at a store. The plastic item will have alternatives and will need to adjust to what the consumer is willing to pay. Pharma dictates their price and it is a necessity for many Americans.

I get it...also get its a useless discussion when this comes up as nobody is going to change their view.

As anything...it is an easy fix.

Get someone to start their own drug company, spend the billion required to create the labs and hire the brightest minds, develop the new drugs before someone else, and then sell them for ten cents a piece. I have no problem with someone doing that.

I am like anyone else...have a prescription that I was paying 500 a month for that just timed out on its patent. Now I pay 4 bucks a month. Even worse would have been that last month when the manufacturer stopped making the name brand since it no longer had value...but the generics could not be manufactured yet.

I get it...also get its a useless discussion when this comes up as nobody is going to change their view.

Get someone to start their own drug company, spend the billion required to create the labs and hire the brightest minds, develop the new drugs before someone else, and then sell them for ten cents a piece. I have no problem with someone doing that.

I am like anyone else...have a prescription that I was paying 500 a month for that just timed out on its patent. Now I pay 4 bucks a month. Even worse would have been that last month when the manufacturer stopped making the name brand since it no longer had value...but the generics could not be manufactured yet.
Why do we need another drug company that receives federal funding? The government already funds research for the current ones without much of a ROI. Our government provides money for R&D and the American consumer pays the highest price.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Why do we need another drug company that receives federal funding? The government already funds research for the current ones without much of a ROI. Our government provides money for R&D and the American consumer pays the highest price.

Never said I agree with the government helping to fund then.

I am just saying it is easy to say it should be done differently...but then no one will put their wallet on the line to do it differently.

sounds like we need a more fundamental change to our health care system, huh?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Never said I agree with the government helping to fund then.

I am just saying it is easy to say it should be done differently...but then no one will put their wallet on the line to do it differently.
I get you. I just highly doubt a new drug company enter the market without federal assistance.

Reactions: Joes Place
Unfortunately some one has to make it profitable to put in the R&D on making the drug.

Yes you can pull up example where they were stupid...but for the most part pricing is going to reflect the cost of the research that went into that drug...and the cost of the research that went into every failed drug...and the cost of on going research.

Take the profit out and you are not getting the new drugs.
Lol.

sounds like we need a more fundamental change to our health care system, huh?

And yet those in the world that can afford to travel halfway around the world regularly visit such hot spots like Cleveland, Baltimore, and Rochester, Minnesota.

I like knowing that I have access to the best in the world. I would much rather go broke paying for the medical care I need than going dead getting the free health care.

In drugs, the actual hospitals, the entire system is based on money in the US. Need lots of money to pay the best to do the research, do the surgeries, etc.

Take the high pay out....and you are going to lose many of the brightest minds that decide to go to law school or work in a hedge firm. Many of the smart 20 year olds are going to go a direction in their life that creates the life style they want.

Even those that are not in it for the money need the money to pay for their ten years in school to become a surgeon.

And yet those in the world that can afford to travel halfway around the world regularly visit such hot spots like Cleveland, Baltimore, and Rochester, Minnesota.

I like knowing that I have access to the best in the world. I would much rather go broke paying for the medical care I need than going dead getting the free health care.

In drugs, the actual hospitals, the entire system is based on money in the US. Need lots of money to pay the best to do the research, do the surgeries, etc.

Take the high pay out....and you are going to lose many of the brightest minds that decide to go to law school or work in a hedge firm. Many of the smart 20 year olds are going to go a direction in their life that creates the life style they want.

Even those that are not in it for the money need the money to pay for their ten years in school to become a surgeon.
Have you ever lived in a country with universal healthcare? I have. You a making untrue assumptions. Also, pharma and hospital systems are very different.

I hear “ask your doctor” fifty times between Game Day, Fox Big Noon Kickoff, and the last PAC 12 after dark game every football Saturday. Something tells me those commercials aren’t cheap…
People from other countries always talk about how weird it is that we have commercials for medicine in America. A common point they make is, “isn’t your doctor supposed to tell YOU what to take?”

The government (For the people by the people) pays for a lot of the r&d the leads to these meds. Should we not own a percentage of that?

The government (For the people by the people) pays for a lot of the r&d the leads to these meds. Should we not own a percentage of that?

I personally think that the government shouldn't be doing the funding.

In the case that they are...seems it should be part of the process before they provide the funds that they will get the results at this price. I would have no problem with that.

I personally think that the government shouldn't be doing the funding.
The government is the only entity capable of doing the funding.
Few companies engage in "basic research" that leads to those discoveries.

The government is the only entity capable of doing the funding.
Few companies engage in "basic research" that leads to those discoveries.

Used to be my thought process on it...now I just prefer the government stays out of funding private business. Seems like a misuse of taxpayers dollars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT