ADVERTISEMENT

Sheryl Swoopes with some more incredible takes

Then she shouldn’t be employed, end of story. And just because someone played the game doesn’t make them an expert at interpreting it. Biggest fallacy in sports. Please tell me what she has ever said that points to her being a basketball genius. And anyone who would say publicly that Reese is better than Clark, or that Samuelson is the most valuable player on that team, obviously knows very little about the sport because no one who knows anything about it would say something like that publicly regardless of motivation. I don’t like LeBron, but I wouldn’t say some role player was better than him just because I don’t like him. People who know the game know enough to not say really stupid stuff.
First off, NO one ever said she was a genius. YOUR statement was that you know more about the game then she does, which I find highly unlikely. The really crazy thing is that you can't see, (I assume don't want to see) that this has zero to do with what she knows about basketball. If you honestly think that she actually thinks that Samuelson is the teams MVP then your clueless, and there is no reason to continue. Her statements are driven by her jealousy and the attached hatred about Clark. It has NOTHING to do with what she does, or does not know about basketball.
I'm fully aware that great players don't mean great coaches/ managers. I grew up loving Pete Rose because he was everyman, and turned in one of the greatest careers ever. Still his ego and bad habits led to his demise, and like Swoopes he was not a people person, and a poor manager.
At no point am I defended Swoopes, for her behavior. It reprehensable, and I was one of the first people on here who said she should be fired for her comments and for continuing her stupid attacks. Taking her comments (attacks on Clark) and generalizing them as lack of knowledge is totally missing why she's doing this. Thats as clear as the nose on your face...

Hit the 1st and 3rd PLAY buttons to listen to Sheryl.

College Accuse GIF

I think it is best to put Swoopes on ignore. She is not a CC fan and will probably never will be one. I think the best thing CC can do is ignore her, continue building her brand and playing at a superstar level.
Some of you seem to be missing a key element in all of this.

IF Caitlin is bothered at all it will only result in her playing even better. Look out WNBA.

CC22 living in her head rent free. Caitlin is seriously driving swoopes mad. We are witnessing an epic meltdown right in front of our very eyes.

Petty jealousy. Pathetic on Swoopes part. It would not surprise me to learn she has a low IQ. Some people just have an inability to learn from their mistakes. It occurs more often the dumber one is...

I can't believe people are still inviting her to their shows.

And it's crazy that she is the TV color commentator for WNBA games.

To Caitlin's credit she's staying above the trash talk. Nothing to be gained by wallowing in the sewer. She's established herself as a classy figure though she is combative and has an edge. It says much to stay in her lane and let the wanna bes pine for what they know is out of their reach, or the has beens who know their stars will be eclipsed by this superstar.

Which is probably driving swoopes even crazier than she already is. I mean the way swoopes is acting towards Caitlin is just bizarre. She really should be embarrassed. Caitlin goes about her business. It’s actually awesome.
Everything she says just makes things worse for her. It’s tailspinned so badly that I’m not sure it can be recovered at this point.

It makes me wonder if she was also an ass as a teammate back in the day and it just wasn’t discussed.

Everything she says just makes things worse for her. It’s tailspinned so badly that I’m not sure it can be recovered at this point.

It makes me wonder if she was also an ass as a teammate back in the day and it just wasn’t discussed.

she bullied as a head coach and got fired.

guessing she has bullied people on the Dallas Wings' staff as well (we know for a fact that she's not talking to her Dallas Wings' colleague, Nancy Lieberman)

every environment she enters becomes toxic. I am guessing the Wings/Bally Sports Southwest let her go (this was Sheryl's first year with Bally's, too)

First off, NO one ever said she was a genius. YOUR statement was that you know more about the game then she does, which I find highly unlikely. The really crazy thing is that you can't see, (I assume don't want to see) that this has zero to do with what she knows about basketball. If you honestly think that she actually thinks that Samuelson is the teams MVP then your clueless, and there is no reason to continue. Her statements are driven by her jealousy and the attached hatred about Clark. It has NOTHING to do with what she does, or does not know about basketball.
I'm fully aware that great players don't mean great coaches/ managers. I grew up loving Pete Rose because he was everyman, and turned in one of the greatest careers ever. Still his ego and bad habits led to his demise, and like Swoopes he was not a people person, and a poor manager.
At no point am I defended Swoopes, for her behavior. It reprehensable, and I was one of the first people on here who said she should be fired for her comments and for continuing her stupid attacks. Taking her comments (attacks on Clark) and generalizing them as lack of knowledge is totally missing why she's doing this. Thats as clear as the nose on your face...
Please explain to me why you feel it’s highly unlikely that I know more about basketball than she does. You know nothing about me. You’re putting an awful lot of faith into someone knowing more basketball simply because they played and had a failed coaching career. Regardless of her motivation, the things she has said has ruined any credibility she ever had, so to just assume she knows a lot about the game is a lot of guesswork.

Please explain to me why you feel it’s highly unlikely that I know more about basketball than she does. You know nothing about me. You’re putting an awful lot of faith into someone knowing more basketball simply because they played and had a failed coaching career. Regardless of her motivation, the things she has said has ruined any credibility she ever had, so to just assume she knows a lot about the game is a lot of guesswork.
Really? So lets play a game. Lets call it, "Whats more likely to be the truth". So Swoopes says that the Fever are winning because of the great play of KLS, and NEVER mentions Clark at all in the Fevers rise up the pecking order. So the question is, A). Is Swoopes who has been involved in the game at the highest level for almost all of her life, just an absolute idiot, who knows nothing about basketball, so watching the best player who's ever played in the womens game, and she just can't see her value as such. Or B). Swoopes knows very well how good Clark is but her jealousy and hatred has become so bad that she won't even acknowledge her existence? Stop for a second and forget what you've said to this point. Are you actually saying that A). Is the answer? Because thats been your argument to this point.

As for my "faith". Yes I'm saying that someone who was the games top player in college, an AA in college, a HOF player in the pro's, and coached at the D1 level (her issue as a "failed coach" was because she had issues dealing with people, not because she didn't know basketball) knows a lot more about the game then some dude posting on the internet. Sorry, but I don't care who's high school you coached or where you played ball, your resume as a player/ coach couldn't possibly have more knowledge of the game, unless your Phil Jackson or someone. That you Phil?

This has NOTHING to do with basketball knowledge, its about jealousy, and agenda. Sorry, you can't see that....

As noted above, Chris Williamson pulls the race card for anyone criticizing Swoopes' takes.

He calls Caitlin "your great white hope."

Here are the 2 main pictures on Chis Williamson's Twitter account (as you can see, he's an employee of CBS):

Ml7tn_La_400x400.jpg

1500x500
Nobody knows who Chris Williamson is... Clark has become a household name playing women's basketball. These two are not the same.

The reason women's basketball is the current hot-bed for negative racial politics is based on a lie. The lie is that these women were ignored because of their race and not because of the obvious reason - nobody gave a sh*t about women's basketball, particularly the WNBA. That's it.

Also, if it were a race thing, why did so many great white players, that preceeded Caitlin, not move the needle. You'd think the Great White Hope Society, if it existed, would have invested in Diana Taursi, Sue Bird, Rebecca Lobo, Kelsey Plum, and Breanna Stewart. But no such thing happened - they were largely ignored just like the black players.

So Caitlin's appears. She cuts to the front of the line without permission from the Mean Girl clique. And, she does not apologize for being being a white girl from West Des Moines. [See Paige Beuckers]

I'm trying to explain this to myself because it bothers me. But, I think this sums up the pettiness of where we are at with these fools.
This should be plastered on every social media site/app. This is as well said as anything I've ever read in 22 years on this board.

I get the feeling that when Diana Taurasi said this she had hardly, if ever, actually watched Caitlin play basketball.

Which makes me conclude that she was being very ignorant or very biased.

It may just have been ignorance.
Taurasi and Bird love Clark’s game. DT was talking about all rookies in general with her comments about the adjustments. Clark’s adjustment was just 10-15 games.

Taurasi and Bird love Clark’s game. DT was talking about all rookies in general with her comments about the adjustments. Clark’s adjustment was just 10-15 games.

She wasn’t talking about all rookies when she dismissively said, “I’d draft Paige Bueckers over Caitlin Clark, next question.” Like the entire UCONN cult, Taurasi was a hater and was predictably proven wrong. Now she’s doesn’t say anything.

She wasn’t talking about all rookies when she dismissively said, “I’d draft Paige Bueckers over Caitlin Clark, next question.” Like the entire UCONN cult, Taurasi was a hater and was predictably proven wrong. Now she’s doesn’t say anything.

I will always laugh at this ridiculousness.

You pick a line here and there and cherry pick what you want to hear so your player can be the victim…while ignoring that Taurasi probably reaped they highest praise she ever could on Caitlin and what her future looks like.

You pick a line here and there and cherry pick what you want to hear so your player can be the victim…while ignoring that Taurasi probably reaped they highest praise she ever could on Caitlin and what her future looks like.

She threw shade on Caitlin in an interview. It’s a fact.

He might have selected the best line, but he's not wrong. Taurasi and Geno were offended by the unbridled and massive adoration of Caitlin, but she said what she said, and he said what he said. Taurasi had the good sense to back peddle some, but Geno looks horrible in this.

Taurasi had the good sense to back peddle some

I get it…just think that people have way overblown a couple comments by Taurasi. Just because someone has a different opinion on who the better player is does not mean they have an issue with the other player.

I am willing to bet that at times it just got old being asked about Caitlin 24/7…probably got to the point they would be answering questions about Caitlin in their sleep. I never thought it was anything about Caitlin with some of these players answers…but more about what about all the other women that are damn good at this game also.

This is a year before in the National Championship game…same platform.

If you not think Taurasi saying Caitlin is basically the equivalent of the best point guard AND the best shooting guard in the history of the WNBA is extremely high praise…your insane.

Really? So lets play a game. Lets call it, "Whats more likely to be the truth". So Swoopes says that the Fever are winning because of the great play of KLS, and NEVER mentions Clark at all in the Fevers rise up the pecking order. So the question is, A). Is Swoopes who has been involved in the game at the highest level for almost all of her life, just an absolute idiot, who knows nothing about basketball, so watching the best player who's ever played in the womens game, and she just can't see her value as such. Or B). Swoopes knows very well how good Clark is but her jealousy and hatred has become so bad that she won't even acknowledge her existence? Stop for a second and forget what you've said to this point. Are you actually saying that A). Is the answer? Because thats been your argument to this point.

As for my "faith". Yes I'm saying that someone who was the games top player in college, an AA in college, a HOF player in the pro's, and coached at the D1 level (her issue as a "failed coach" was because she had issues dealing with people, not because she didn't know basketball) knows a lot more about the game then some dude posting on the internet. Sorry, but I don't care who's high school you coached or where you played ball, your resume as a player/ coach couldn't possibly have more knowledge of the game, unless your Phil Jackson or someone. That you Phil?

This has NOTHING to do with basketball knowledge, its about jealousy, and agenda. Sorry, you can't see that....
She said Clark played five years in college, she played four. She said Clark was 25, she was 22. She said Clark shot 40 times a game, she shot 22. These are all things I knew and she didn’t. Doesn’t sound like she knows much basketball at all. And she got the D-1 coaching job because she was a player, not because she ever proved she knew anything about the game or talent evaluation. I’m quite sure pettiness and jealousy plays a big role in some of the things she says, but I also think it’s not all just that…she (and many others) are given a level of credibility they don’t deserve simply because they played the game. If you think that all these old time players know more than anyone in the world about basketball simply because they played it, I don’t know what to tell you. Many people who know a ton about a certain sport simply choose to not go into coaching or broadcasting, but that doesn’t diminish their knowledge of the game.

She said Clark played five years in college, she played four. She said Clark was 25, she was 22. She said Clark shot 40 times a game, she shot 22. These are all things I knew and she didn’t. Doesn’t sound like she knows much basketball at all. And she got the D-1 coaching job because she was a player, not because she ever proved she knew anything about the game or talent evaluation. I’m quite sure pettiness and jealousy plays a big role in some of the things she says, but I also think it’s not all just that…she (and many others) are given a level of credibility they don’t deserve simply because they played the game. If you think that all these old time players know more than anyone in the world about basketball simply because they played it, I don’t know what to tell you. Many people who know a ton about a certain sport simply choose to not go into coaching or broadcasting, but that doesn’t diminish their knowledge of the game.
There really is no reason to continue this conversation, from my end anyway. If you are REALLY naive enough to think that Swoopes actually thought that Clark was 25 years old, (which wouldn't even be possible, even with covid), and can't understand that pretty much everything she has said has NOTHING to do with her basketball knowledge and is only because she is jealous, then whats the use. And now your actually saying that YOU know the reason she was hired as a D1 coach, because evidently you were on the committee who hired her I assume? And since you "supposedly" have all this coaching experience, just HOW would a new coach have "basketball experience" before they coached except to have played, and she evidently was considered the best player of her generation. But I'm sure your right that this should not have given her any resume too be hired as a first time coach?

Do you actually look at what your posting before you post it? Anyway, you win. I'm sure she doesn't know a thing about basketball, at least compared to your obvious vast knowledge. Sometime let us know where it is your coaching all those All Americans again. I'm sure that would be an interesting topic.

To put a pin in this, at NO point did I EVER defend anything that Swoopes said. She's a petty jealous has been. None of which has any relevance to what she does or does not know, or frankly how you supposedly compare to her......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT