ADVERTISEMENT

Shots Fired in Iowa City?

Lockdown at City High only due to an anonymous report of something that sounded like gunshots in a nearby neighborhood. Lockdown only lasted 10 minutes.

This is how I feel about making comments on yet another shooting (or alleged shooting):

friends-phoebe-buffay.gif

Hope @lucas80 can shelter in place at Shakespeare's, safe from the shooter and his wife's OCD...
If I was at Shakes and eating a plate of their smoked wings with Carolina Gold sauce I wouldn’t flinch if shots were fired in the parking lot.
Not the normal neighborhood for shots fired. Town & Campus apartments and I’d believe it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThorneStockton
pulled from a friend's facebook:

There was a series of what sounded like gunshots outside my house moments ago and now there's a police officer walking up and down the street with an assault rifle with 5-8 others knocking doors

• Sad
Reactions: BrianNole777
How is Shakespeares? Haven’t made it over there yet.
Food?
Drink specials?
Solid crew of regular alcoholics in the afternoon and evening. Great place to watch women’s hoops. Depending on the day of the week half of the Hy-Vee crew may be in there chasing away the shakes. The food is solid. Fantastic set of long time staff. The owner is usually present and involved with making you a satisfied customer through the dinner hour.

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
pulled from a friend's facebook:

There was a series of what sounded like gunshots outside my house moments ago and now there's a police officer walking up and down the street with an assault rifle with 5-8 others knocking doors

It was two pops, and then 5-6 quick pops in succession. Definitely sounded like gunshots. Police were all over the area between Moinginside and 7th Ave. Still haven’t heard yet what the deal was.

How is Shakespeares? Haven’t made it over there yet.
Food?
Drink specials?

It’s a good east side towny bar. Food is just your usual bar fare but it’s good. A lot of people kind of shit on the tenderloin but it’s actually one of my favorites in town. Susie (owner) is directly involved and keeps the place running tip top. If Roger is tending bar - don’t ask him to do two things at once as you’ll likely get neither done! (Just kidding Roger if you’re reading, you’re a nice and good human!)

Crowd can be a little “different” but it’s a towny bar so you get what you’d expect. Evidently you can run into HORTers like me and @lucas80 there so it’s clearly the place to be.

It’s a good east side towny bar. Food is just your usual bar fare but it’s good. A lot of people kind of shit on the tenderloin but it’s actually one of my favorites in town. Susie (owner) is directly involved and keeps the place running tip top. If Roger is tending bar - don’t ask him to do two things at once as you’ll likely get neither done! (Just kidding Roger if you’re reading, you’re a nice and good human!)

Crowd can be a little “different” but it’s a towny bar so you get what you’d expect. Evidently you can run into HORTers like me and @lucas80 there so it’s clearly the place to be.
I've also been known to patronize the place from time to time as well!

• Love
Reactions: Hawki97
I've also been known to patronize the place from time to time as well!
Are you the old guy with the eye patch and the walker? Drives an old green Ford Ranger, and shuffles out to the lot, pitched the Walker in the cargo bed, then drives off?
I’ve always felt that’s a man with stories to tell.

Are you the old guy with the eye patch and the walker? Drives an old green Ford Ranger, and shuffles out to the lot, pitched the Walker in the cargo bed, then drives off?
I’ve always felt that’s a man with stories to tell.
Sorry, not me. I'm not nearly as interesting as he is!

Of course I poured the foundation circa 1972 when the original bar was called " the Annex " I believe. There was also an " Annex " in downtown somewhere but I don't recall where. I guarantee Mike McC______ is usually occupying the corner barstool most days...

Of course I poured the foundation circa 1972 when the original bar was called " the Annex " I believe. There was also an " Annex " in downtown somewhere but I don't recall where. I guarantee Mike McC______ is usually occupying the corner barstool most days...
Wasn't it down by the RR tracks? Was it where the Club Car is at, across from Neuzil Law?

ciggy is the one reading the paper and lucas is the one complaining about his wife being right all the time.
She is there with me most times. Poor form to complain while she's sitting there, unless you are Northern and follow it up with the back of your hand.

Reactions: millah_22
Unfortunately my go to IC tavern historian, Tucker Slade died last year or I could get the answers to all these questions. He and his wife played in the Riverside euchre tournaments most weeks. RIP Tucker...
I'm pretty sure the owner back then was Teddy McGlaughlin? And, he moved it to 1st Avenue. My dad frequented both locations. I remember a few lost days playing pinball while my dad tied a load on. Not a shock I turned out the way I did.
Teddy loved the Cubs as I recall, and sponsored a lot of bus trips to Wrigley. We'd stop on I-88 at a toll plaza and he'd pull out a few coolers. Turkey sandwiches and brick cheese, and beers for the dads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT