ADVERTISEMENT

Should BOTH Head Coach Urban Meyer AND Athletic Director Gene Smith be FIRED?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
They gone?

Can anyone tell me how the Ohio State AD would have not known about the 9 police reports on Zach Smith that date back to 2012? And why nothing was ever reported to the Title IX office?

Wouldn't the Ohio newspapers be all over these NINE police reports?

Why isn't the OSU AD in deep trouble, too?

LINK to the Related Story: https://cbssports.com/college-footb...tic-violence-incident-involving-ex-assistant/

Additional Story:

Urban Meyer placed on leave as Ohio State investigates what he knew about alleged abuse

Paul Myerberg, USA TODAY

Published 5:32 p.m. CT Aug. 1, 2018
Updated 5:43 p.m. CT Aug. 1, 2018

Offensive coordinator Ryan Day will be the team's acting head coach during the investigation.

LINK to Full Story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...io-state-admit-abuse-investigation/883163002/

Last edited:
Will Urban still make the Hall of Fame?

Meyer holds a career record of 177-31, which includes earlier, two-year stints at Bowling Green and Utah.

His final team at Utah, in 2004, went 12-0 and won the Fiesta Bowl.

In the history of the FBS, just three coaches have done better than Meyer’s 85.1 winning percentage.

Meyer has won 3 national championships; 2 at Florida, 1 at The Ohio State University.

I'm thinking the issue is already becoming a problem and he will be let go. He has slithered out of bad situations in the past, but this one is full blown so I don't know if he can be absolved of responsibility here.

I'm sure you afford him due process, but if they are investigating claims that others knew they can start with the facebook post showing the text messages.

It will be interesting to see if others on the staff are allowed to skate and if they players are held to their commitments. Will the school be punished too?

No comment from the league office. Cash cow. I'm assuming whatever O$U finds will be okay with league.

What are the exact steps that are required?

So, Urban's wife is told about an assistant beating up the wife. Allegedly Urban was in the know. To whom is he to report what he knows? I am guessing 2 places:

* The police, so that it can be officially reported, a case # assigned, and an investigation to follow.

* The OSU Title IX office, so that they can investigate.

And then you tell your AD that you fulfilled your requirements and you look at suspending the coach?

Am I correct on all of the above?

Anything I am missing?

I don't understand why he would continue to protect a guy that's an assistant coach like that. Loyalty? Oddly misplaced as assistant coaches are a dime a dozen

Reactions: Franisdaman
I'm sure you afford him due process, but if they are investigating claims that others knew they can start with the facebook post showing the text messages.

It will be interesting to see if others on the staff are allowed to skate and if they players are held to their commitments. Will the school be punished too?

No comment from the league office. Cash cow. I'm assuming whatever O$U finds will be okay with league.

Not sure what the league office is supposed to say at this point. We hate domestic violence? Schools hire and fire coaches, not conferences.

If Urban is fired, everyone on current staff will be shown the door as well if they were here in 2015 when it happened.

Looks like they could fire him with cause.

From ESPN.com

Meyer's contract extension signed in April includes language requiring him to report any violations by staff members of Ohio State's sexual misconduct policy to the university's athletics Title IX coordinator. Also, as an Ohio State employee who supervises others, Meyer is required by the university's sexual misconduct policy to report knowledge of domestic abuse by a university employee. According to the policy, "An individual need not be charged with or convicted of a criminal offense to be found responsible for domestic violence pursuant to this policy."

Last edited:

Meyer holds a career record of 177-31, which includes earlier, two-year stints at Bowling Green and Utah.

In the history of the FBS, just three coaches have done better than Meyer’s 85.1 winning percentage.

Meyer has won 3 national championships; 2 at Florida, 1 at The Ohio State University.

No. Everything he has accomplished is now garbage. Always knew this guy was a slime ball, just like the state of his Florida program when he was "too sick to continue" and bailed. What a joke. He will be fired, and should go crawl in a hole and just go away.

This is totally spitting in the face of everything that College Athletics should be about. If I read something like this about KF, it would seriously break my heart.

In no way would I accept this level of shame for any number of wins and National Championships.....and anyone who would, well they suck.

Actually I still think he should. He didn't do anything cheating wise on the field or playing players who shouldn't have been eligble like Tressel or Pete Carroll at USC with Reggie Bush situation. Just because he is a crappy human don't think it will stop him. List of Hall of Famers in multiple sports is full of scum bags. Point and case OJ Simpson is still in NFL Hall of Fame.

Actually I still think he should. He didn't do anything cheating wise on the field or playing players who shouldn't have been eligble like Tressel or Pete Carroll at USC with Reggie Bush situation. Just because he is a crappy human don't think it will stop him. List of Hall of Famers in multiple sports is full of scum bags. Point and case OJ Simpson is still in NFL Hall of Fame.

Murderer oj still in the hall of fame? Unbelievable

Good stuff thanks for posting!

QUOTE="Franisdaman, post: 5569451, member: 64945"]He gone?

Urban Meyer placed on leave as Ohio State investigates what he knew about alleged abuse

Paul Myerberg, USA TODAY

Published 5:32 p.m. CT Aug. 1, 2018
Updated 5:43 p.m. CT Aug. 1, 2018

Offensive coordinator Ryan Day will be the team's acting head coach during the investigation.

LINK to Full Story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...io-state-admit-abuse-investigation/883163002/[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Franisdaman
I guess I am confused. Cleveland.com reports that the Powell police filed nine incident reports between Jan. 1, 2012, and July 26, 2018, involving domestic issues between Zach and Courtney Smith. Those include multiple custody disputes, the allegation from Oct. 2015, and a 2017 incident in which neighbors saw Smith looking through the windows of his ex-wife's home and banging on her door at 1:30 a.m.

Regarding the 2015 incident: It was public knowledge; it must have been all over the newspapers. After all, Smith was arrested for felonious assault and domestic violence of his then-wife. Why didn't OSU fire him right then and there? Why didn't the AD insist on it?

More, from CBSsports.com:

McMurphy's entire report is obviously worth reading, but the pertinent information includes the following ...

• Courtney Smith's text messages with Meyer's wife, Shelley, who at one point during a 2015 exchange said, "I am with you! A lot of women stay hoping it will get better. I don't blame you! But just want u to be safe. Do you have a restraining order? He scares me." Courtney added that Shelley was a "frequent texter."
  • Courtney's communication with wives of other Ohio State assistants and staffers. McMurphy writes that those wives "and a number of Ohio State assistant coaches were aware of Smith's domestic violence issues." Speaking with McMurphy, Courtney said, "All the [coaches] wives knew. They all did. Every single one."
  • A change in the police report for the domestic violence incident on Oct. 26, 2015. Per the Powell Police report, a box was checked indicating Zach Smith had been arrested. However, in a revised report, that arrest box was no longer checked. The PPD told McMurphy "The terminology used by the Police Department was different in the original report (dated 10/26/2015) and inconsistent with what actually occurred."
  • Courtney telling McMurphy the following: "Zach once told me, if he ever got fired and this all comes out: 'I'll take everyone at Ohio State down with me.'"
Perhaps the most damning piece of information from McMurphy's report is an exchange between Courtney and Lindsey Voltolini in the weeks following the 2015 incident. Lindsey's husband Brian Voltolini is "considered one of Meyer's most loyal staff members," according to McMurphy.

Courtney: "[Zach's] trying to make me look crazy bc that's what Shelley is saying [he's doing]"
Lindsey: "[Urban] just said [Zach] denied everything"
Courtney: "I hope urban is smarter than that"
Lindsey: "[Urban] doesn't know what to think"
Courtney: "I don't really care. Ya know"
Lindsey: "Yeah, don't worry about urb"

LINK: https://cbssports.com/college-footb...tic-violence-incident-involving-ex-assistant/

In addition, if you listen to Urban on the matter it is pretty disgusting. Last week he had to preface the 2009 incident by saying "they were a young couple" as if domestic abuse was normal because they were a young couple. Then he said "what was reported to the police wasn't what happened" or something to that effect knowing damn well he sent people to talk her into dropping the charges. Guy is a POS scum bag.

So, it seems, Urb thought he could walk through this shit storm and not get any on himself? It doesn't make any sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT