ADVERTISEMENT

Should BOTH Head Coach Urban Meyer AND Athletic Director Gene Smith be FIRED?

The longer this drags out, the more likely this scumbag will remain as coach.

I have zero confidence that there is anyone in that OSU foodchain who is willing to do the right thing and actually hold someone accountable.
Yeah, it's annoying how investigations take more than a few hours to complete... They're wasting time gathering information and evidence from all parties. We need more people like you, Chode - an expert after reading the breaking news feed from your phone!

If they conclude the investigation and he didn't report the abuse, then he should absolutely be fired. Still think we are missing some info.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
One of the things I would point out about all this is the fact that this mess is not happening at "an" Ohio state university; it's happening at THE Ohio State University--the one and only. Glad those folks have been making that clear all these years. Comes in mighty handy about now.

I'm guessing he was caught off guard. Bad decision on his part.

The whole thing stinks including urban

I'm not sure I want any HR department sifting through a divorce to decide whether to for someone or not. Maybe of charges are avtually filed and someone is convicted.

And the accusation is once again all that is needed. All of this was supposed to mean that this coach was immediately fired...

I don't know if she lied or not. The presumption though seems to be that this guy is guilty because his ex-wife is talking trash about him. Women lie all the time in divorce and custody fights.
The husband acknowledged in a text of picking her up by the throat and strangling her, also did it once while one of the kids was hanging onto the mom's leg.

Seriously ~ she an R.N., licensed in the State of Ohio! She's a Mandatory Reporter for any abuse that comes to her attention, and will lose her Nursing license if she failed to comply with mandatory reporting protocol; she better have dotted every "I" and crossed every "t," and I don't mean "pillow talk" with UM. She needs her own lawyer!

Look I'm not a Lawyer, I was just stating what was said by a lawyer on TV. The incident was reported to Gene Smith by the Powell police dept, but there were no charges filed and no arrest, then Courtney had the files closed, so even if OSU tried to do an in-depth investigation, they did not have the power to open closed or sealed police reports or cases.

Gene called Zach, who was out on the road recruiting and told him to come back to Columbus immediately and explain to Gene what happened. Urban was notified after Gene knew of the incident and he told Zach, if he found out that Zach was not being honest with what he told Gene, he would be fired. Since the Police had nothing really to incriminate Zach with because Coutney didn't file charges, Gene nor Urban cannot fire someone because of accusations or assumptions of a criminal act without full knowledge of a police report.

The thing that bothers me is the fact that she told her family and his family about being abused and they both told her not to press charges against him because he would lose his job.....let that sink in..her own flesh and blood didn't care if she was being abused, they didn't want her to lose the money she was getting from Zach because of the divorce....but everyone thinks this is Urban's fault, he didn't abuse her, Zach did or whatever happened between him and his wife.

If anything her family and the Powell Police Dept need to be held accountable also for their actions or lack thereof. I will agree Urban did not do himself any favors in how he handled this, but he did what he was supposed to do and he should've fired Zach a longtime ago ,but Urban should be suspended for his failure at BIG media days, but I will leave that up to the OSU governing body to decide, if they fire him, then they fire him, if he stays then he stays......We will still be Ohio State and I will continue to support and be fan of Ohio State no matter who the coach is or isn't.

Serious question: Does domestic abuse qualify as sexual assault? I keep seeing that Meyer’s contract has a clause involving a requirement to report sexual harassment, sexual assault, and sexual exploitation. Does beating one’s spouse really fit any of those? If so, those are some seriously wide interpretations. If not, Meyer is in the clear.
Or is there more in the contract that I’ve not seen reported?

I don't have enough info to determine if Urban should be fired or not either, but I do find myself wondering if he handled everything properly, what was his motivation for lying at the Big Ten meetings?

I really don't have a way of knowing what he was thinking there, but it is plausible that he was surprised by the topic and wasn't prepared to explain it and punted, and whiffed, on the spot. It's also possible that he anticipated it and thought he could get away with stonewalling and it blew up on him. Who knows.

He did appear to be a little miffed at the question, so maybe he was annoyed by it and reacted accordingly, who knows. It may be so simple as UM may still feel a compunction to keep a sensitive subject private about someone that he has a relationship with.

Personally, if I was being questioned publicly about one of my ex-employees that was in such a spot, I would be EXTREMELY careful and guarded about what I said. I don't think I would straight up lie about it, but I would likely give a very good "non-answer"...as much to protect the people involved as anything.

The husband acknowledged in a text of picking her up by the throat and strangling her, also did it once while one of the kids was hanging onto the mom's leg.

Are you sure about this? ^^ Because the text exchange that I saw about this apparent episode was not that clear. He did appear to acknowledge wrong doing on his part, yes, but it was in response to 3 or 4 statements. Which one, or combination, or all, of them was he acknowledging? That is not clear from what I saw.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
Look I'm not a Lawyer, I was just stating what was said by a lawyer on TV. The incident was reported to Gene Smith by the Powell police dept, but there were no charges filed and no arrest, then Courtney had the files closed, so even if OSU tried to do an in-depth investigation, they did not have the power to open closed or sealed police reports or cases.

Gene called Zach, who was out on the road recruiting and told him to come back to Columbus immediately and explain to Gene what happened. Urban was notified after Gene knew of the incident and he told Zach, if he found out that Zach was not being honest with what he told Gene, he would be fired. Since the Police had nothing really to incriminate Zach with because Coutney didn't file charges, Gene nor Urban cannot fire someone because of accusations or assumptions of a criminal act without full knowledge of a police report.

The thing that bothers me is the fact that she told her family and his family about being abused and they both told her not to press charges against him because he would lose his job.....let that sink in..her own flesh and blood didn't care if she was being abused, they didn't want her to lose the money she was getting from Zach because of the divorce....but everyone thinks this is Urban's fault, he didn't abuse her, Zach did or whatever happened between him and his wife.

If anything her family and the Powell Police Dept need to be held accountable also for their actions or lack thereof. I will agree Urban did not do himself any favors in how he handled this, but he did what he was supposed to do and he should've fired Zach a longtime ago ,but Urban should be suspended for his failure at BIG media days, but I will leave that up to the OSU governing body to decide, if they fire him, then they fire him, if he stays then he stays......We will still be Ohio State and I will continue to support and be fan of Ohio State no matter who the coach is or isn't.
I'm not a lawyer either. I was just pointing out that Shelley Meyer was a nurse, OSU employee, and the person who was notified by the victim that Zach Smith, another OSU employee, was alleged to have committed spouse abuse. Shelley Meyer (OSU employee) knew Zach Smith (OSU employee) may have committed spousal abuse, and the connection of these two people may meet Title IX reporting requirements; not the connection between victim (non-OSU employee) and Shelley Meyer (OSU employee). That's all.

Seriously ~ she an R.N., licensed in the State of Ohio! She's a Mandatory Reporter for any abuse that comes to her attention, and will lose her Nursing license if she failed to comply with mandatory reporting protocol; she better have dotted every "I" and crossed every "t," and I don't mean "pillow talk" with UM. She needs her own lawyer!

So, in summary:

* This is not a Title IX issue
* The police filed 9 separate reports on Zach Smith since 2012; the police were well aware of him

* Shelley Meyer (an RN) was required to report the abuse to her superiors and to the police

* Zach Smith was never charged with any crimes

So, what is Urban guilty of other that bad judgment? For example, what if Urban had suspended Zach Smith in 2015 with mandatory counseling where if anything happened again it would lead to immediate firing? In this case, you are getting your employee help but you are also making it zero tolerance.

I can see the AD getting fired...he is expendable.

But Meyer? Not happening. He MIGHT get some sort of slap on the wrist, but I would be surprised if it is anything more than that.
yeah, i heard on ESPN radio last night (2 guys talking) that Gene Smith might take the bullet on this and UM might survive

I can certainly see why OSU appointed this "Committee" to oversee the investigation ~ it's really just a "tent" to stall for time, because this mess reeks! BTW, who in their right mind can believe anything Zach Smith has to say? He has zero credibility.
What I find funny is UM lied at B1G media days and then people turn around and say, "well, it's not a crime to lie to the media."

Good grief! LOL

Yes, that's what UM, and his lawyer want. That said, I don't know how you can implicate the AD without also implicating UM; they'd have to go down together. But I can see a way that the AD can isolate himself if UM goes down.
if UM did not notify Gene Smith of this, I can see how the AD survives

I'm not a lawyer either. I was just pointing out that Shelley Meyer was a nurse, OSU employee, and the person who was notified by the victim that Zach Smith, another OSU employee, was alleged to have committed spouse abuse. Shelley Meyer (OSU employee) knew Zach Smith (OSU employee) may have committed spousal abuse, and the connection of these two people may meet Title IX reporting requirements; not the connection between victim (non-OSU employee) and Shelley Meyer (OSU employee). That's all.
One thing I have to say is Title IX is much more complicated than we probably know. It deals with federal funding, too, so who knows what the reporting requirements are. I can see it both ways; the victim was not a student or employee (so maybe its not Title IX) but the alleged abuser (and those who knew about it) are.

Do you have a link for this timeline you created?

If what you say is true (and not hearsay), maybe it was just all bad judgment by the AD and Meyer? IMO, if no police charges were filed and Title IX was not part of this, what should have happened is this:

* Zach Smith suspended indefinitely with pay
* Mandatory counseling for Zach Smith
* Zero tolerance policy. ANY serious police charge (would have to be defined; OWI, another domestic violence report, etc) would result in immediate termination.

Thoughts? Should I be THE OSU AD? ;)

I really don't have a way of knowing what he was thinking there, but it is plausible that he was surprised by the topic and wasn't prepared to explain it and punted, and whiffed, on the spot. It's also possible that he anticipated it and thought he could get away with stonewalling and it blew up on him. Who knows.

He did appear to be a little miffed at the question, so maybe he was annoyed by it and reacted accordingly, who knows. It may be so simple as UM may still feel a compunction to keep a sensitive subject private about someone that he has a relationship with.

Personally, if I was being questioned publicly about one of my ex-employees that was in such a spot, I would be EXTREMELY careful and guarded about what I said. I don't think I would straight up lie about it, but I would likely give a very good "non-answer"...as much to protect the people involved as anything.
UM could have easily said "I have no comment over personnel issues at this time."

Reactions: amahawk
Do you have a link for this timeline you created?

If what you say is true (and not hearsay), maybe it was just all bad judgment by the AD and Meyer? IMO, if no police charges were filed and Title IX was not part of this, what should have happened is this:

* Zach Smith suspended indefinitely with pay
* Mandatory counseling for Zach Smith
* Zero tolerance policy. ANY serious police charge (would have to be defined; OWI, another domestic violence report, etc) would result in immediate termination.

Thoughts? Should I be THE OSU AD? ;)

Zach Smith was fired on the 23rd... That is what was reported today on the news and radio about how it went down. I'm a fan and I wouldn't want to be the AD..too much bullshit..lol

UM could have easily said "I have no comment over personnel issues at this time."

It really doesn't make much sense. He went into such details, such as "not only don't I know, I called the office and no one there knows anything either." If he knew the police were involved wouldn't he know there was a record, easy to verify. Also, he freely admitted that he knew about 2009 which was about the same situation, arguably.

It really doesn't make much sense. He went into such details, such as "not only don't I know, I called the office and no one there knows anything either." If he knew the police were involved wouldn't he know there was a record, easy to verify. Also, he freely admitted that he knew about 2009 which was about the same situation, arguably.

yeah, he should have just said "no comment." he just dug himself a huge hole.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Just what I thought:

"Deborah Wilson, psychologist and Title IX committee member at Southern Arkansas University, told WOSU's All Sides with Ann Fisher that if Shelley (Meyer) didn't speak up, it could constitute a Title IX violation."

http://radio.wosu.org/post/title-ix-poses-concern-urban-meyer-scandal#stream/0

"Ohio State's sexual misconduct policy otherwise requires all faculty members (Shelley Meyer) to report sexual misconduct, including domestic violence, when it involves staff (Ass't Coach Zach Smith) or students. Under the policy reports must be made within five days."

Courtney Smith told faculty member Shelley Meyer that faculty member Zach Smith committed domestic violence ~ mandatory reporting!

There's another aspect of this I hadn't seen mentioned. It's my understanding that Ohio is a mandatory arrest state for domestic abuse. That means if the police have probable cause they must arrest, regardless if the victim presses charges or not. So evidently the police determined they didn't have such probable cause after reviewing the evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: amahawk
There's another aspect of this I hadn't seen mentioned. It's my understanding that Ohio is a mandatory arrest state for domestic abuse. That means if the police have probable cause they must arrest, regardless if the victim presses charges or not. So evidently the police determined they didn't have such probable cause after reviewing the evidence.

You're right it is...This thing has gone from a serious issue to an episode of Jerry Springer!!...smh..

Just what I thought:

"Deborah Wilson, psychologist and Title IX committee member at Southern Arkansas University, told WOSU's All Sides with Ann Fisher that if Shelley (Meyer) didn't speak up, it could constitute a Title IX violation."

http://radio.wosu.org/post/title-ix-poses-concern-urban-meyer-scandal#stream/0

"Ohio State's sexual misconduct policy otherwise requires all faculty members (Shelley Meyer) to report sexual misconduct, including domestic violence, when it involves staff (Ass't Coach Zach Smith) or students. Under the policy reports must be made within five days."

Courtney Smith told faculty member Shelley Meyer that faculty member Zach Smith committed domestic violence ~ mandatory reporting!

What are the chances that at the end of this investigation that Shelley Meyey, Urban Meyer and Gene Smith are all fired? It seems that they all knew and were required to report this to the Title IX office; instead, they did nothing

What are the chances that at the end of this investigation that Shelley Meyey, Urban Meyer and Gene Smith are all fired? It seems that they all knew and were required to report this to the Title IX office; instead, they did nothing

Like all decisions when someone’s problems exceeds their talents then they are gone. That assessment will be made.

Reactions: Franisdaman

From what has been reported , The Powell PD informed the OSU Athletic Department of the incident, but no charges were filed. Urban was made aware of the incident and reported it to Gene, who called Zach Smith back to Columbus, because he was out on a recruiting trip and asked him his side of the story.
Since the Police notified the athletic dept and Urban sent the info he had to Gene and Courtney Smith was not a student or employee of the University and Zach was not charged with any crime, the Title IX office did not necessarily need to be involved.

This whole thing is a dumpster fire between Courtney and Zach, I don't blame Urban for not getting involved with those two idiots...

From what has been reported , The Powell PD informed the OSU Athletic Department of the incident, but no charges were filed. Urban was made aware of the incident and reported it to Gene, who called Zach Smith back to Columbus, because he was out on a recruiting trip and asked him his side of the story.
Since the Police notified the athletic dept and Urban sent the info he had to Gene and Courtney Smith was not a student or employee of the University and Zach was not charged with any crime, the Title IX office did not necessarily need to be involved.

This whole thing is a dumpster fire between Courtney and Zach, I don't blame Urban for not getting involved with those two idiots...
I thought that in the 2009 incident that both Urban and his wife counseled the Smith's extensively. Have you ever read that? I also read Earle Bruce personally talked to the wife after that incident.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Since the alleged victim is neither a student nor an employee, is it for sure the Title IX office did not have to be notified? If so, that might save all their butts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the bottom line is:

* Did Urban properly report what he knew to the right people? Evidence looks like he reported info to Gene Smith, the AD. Did Urban do enough? If not, what should he have done (examples: suspended Zach Smith? Mandatory counseling?) and is it a fireable offense? Or should Urban be suspended as a result? Lets face it, Buckeye fans care about Urban's fate and Urban's fate only; they could care less if Gene Smith and Shelley Meyer get fired.

* Did Gene Smith report what he knew to the right people? If not, is it a fireable offense?

* Did Shelley Smith report what she knew to the right people, especially since she is both an OSU employee and a medical professional? Was she required to report to both the police and the OSU Title IX office? If she did not properly report what she knew, is it a fireable offense?

Last edited:
I thought that in the 2009 incident that both Urban and his wife counseled the Smith's extensively. Have you ever read that? I also read Earle Bruce personally talked to the wife after that incident.

I did hear that they were counseling them during that time. Earle Bruce's daughter was interviewed and she stated that Earle went down to talk with Urban and Zach and he never spoke with Courtney, so then Brett Mc Murphy who reported that Earle told her to drop the charges, had to remove that from his facebook page, because it didn't happen. It has been a he said/she said soap opera ever since....

Since the alleged victim is neither a student nor an employee, is it for sure the Title IX office did not have to be notified? If so, that might save all their butts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the bottom line is:

* Did Urban properly report what he knew to the right people? Evidence looks like he reported info to Gene Smith, the AD. Did Urban do enough? If not, what should he have done (examples: suspended Zach Smith? Mandatory counseling?) and is it a fireable offense?

* Did Gene Smith report what he knew to the right people? If not, is it a fireable offense?

* Did Shelley Smith report what she knew to the right people, especially since she is both an OSU employee and a medical professional? Was she required to report to both the police and the OSU Title IX office? If she did not properly report what she knew, is it a fireable offense?

As far as we know...Urban reported what he knew to Gene Smith. Urban does not have the power to order anyone to go to counseling, plus they were already separated, he could've suggested that Zach go get help, but that's up to Zach. They really didn't have anything to suspend him on because he wasn't charged with a crime and Urban doesn't have the power to order the police to open a sealed case , as it was told that would be considered tampering.

We know Gene called Zach and made him come back to campus and explain what happened and that's all that was said about that.

It was also mentioned that Shelley's gig with OSU started after 2015, so I'm not sure and I haven't heard anything about her being involved in the investigation.

Again, the police are the ones who let OSU know about the incident and that there were no charges or arrests made..

As far as we know...Urban reported what he knew to Gene Smith. Urban does not have the power to order anyone to go to counseling, plus they were already separated, he could've suggested that Zach go get help, but that's up to Zach. They really didn't have anything to suspend him on because he wasn't charged with a crime and Urban doesn't have the power to order the police to open a sealed case , as it was told that would be considered tampering.

We know Gene called Zach and made him come back to campus and explain what happened and that's all that was said about that.

It was also mentioned that Shelley's gig with OSU started after 2015, so I'm not sure and I haven't heard anything about her being involved in the investigation.

Again, the police are the ones who let OSU know about the incident and that there were no charges or arrests made..
Thanks for the thoughtful discussion. A lot of times outsiders come on here with a ton of attitude when defending their program.

Do we know for sure that Title IX is not part of this case? You might recall the recent Gopher football scandal where 10 players got suspended (and several were expelled) by the Title IX office even though the police investigated a gang rape and filed no charges. Just because the police do not file charges does not mean that the Title IX office does not have to be notified. In the Gopher case, the Title IX office made a judgment call that an assault probably did happen and they severely disciplined 10 players as a result. Heck, the Minneapolis Star Tribune had all 10's pictures (mug shots) on the front page and of course the accuser is never identified. Like I said, if Title IX is not relevant to this case, then it probably saves all 3 butts.

From an outsider looking in:

* I think Urban Meyer's job will ultimately be saved because it will be rationalized/explained to the public that he did everything he could (was required) have done

* If nothing else, Urban is guilty in using poor judgment. Urban knew about Zach's behavior since at least 2009; Urban can't force Zach to counseling; he can, however, suspend Zach with pay and if counseling does not occur, he could then fire him as a result. Urban can fire any of his staff at any time for whatever reason. Personally, i think suspension should have been an option and not suspending Zach and not having counseling be part of being reinstated was a poor judgment call on Urban's part.

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion. A lot of times outsiders come on here with a ton of attitude when defending their program.

Do we know for sure that Title IX is not part of this case? You might recall the recent Gopher football scandal where 10 players got suspended (and several were expelled) by the Title IX office even though the police investigated a gang rape and filed no charges. Just because the police do not file charges does not mean that the Title IX office does not have to be notified. In the Gopher case, the Title IX office made a judgment call that an assault probably did happen and they severely disciplined 10 players as a result. Heck, the Minneapolis Star Tribune had all 10's pictures (mug shots) on the front page and of course the accuser is never identified. Like I said, if Title IX is not relevant to this case, then it probably saves all 3 butts.

From an outsider looking in:

* I think Urban Meyer's job will ultimately be saved because it will be rationalized/explained to the public that he did everything he could (was required) have done

* If nothing else, Urban is guilty in using poor judgment. Urban knew about Zach's behavior since at least 2009; Urban can't force Zach to counseling; he can, however, suspend Zach with pay and if counseling does not occur, he could then fire him as a result. Urban can fire any of his staff at any time for whatever reason. Personally, i think suspension should have been an option and not suspending Zach and not having counseling be part of being reinstated was a poor judgment call on Urban's part.

Yeah, I'm trying to prove to the world that not all Buckeye fans are the devil..lol

I'm not really sure on the Title IX thing, but it hasn't been mentioned that much during the investigation, so I'm not sure if it's being brought up.
I agree Urban handled this poorly and I think he heard Mc Murphy wrong and kind of lashed out at him, when he should've just said "no comment" and moved on.
As far as the whole Zach situation is concerned, with all the stuff that's come out that happened between them two and now her mom is saying he didn't abuse her and some friends and family members are saying the same thing, I get why Urban probably steered clear of that situation, because that was a toxic relationship that had ended in divorce and they still couldn't get along, I think Meyer was hoping after they got divorced that the situation would correct itself, but unfortunately it didn't and here we are.

Yeah, I'm trying to prove to the world that not all Buckeye fans are the devil..lol

I'm not really sure on the Title IX thing, but it hasn't been mentioned that much during the investigation, so I'm not sure if it's being brought up.
I agree Urban handled this poorly and I think he heard Mc Murphy wrong and kind of lashed out at him, when he should've just said "no comment" and moved on.
As far as the whole Zach situation is concerned, with all the stuff that's come out that happened between them two and now her mom is saying he didn't abuse her and some friends and family members are saying the same thing, I get why Urban probably steered clear of that situation, because that was a toxic relationship that had ended in divorce and they still couldn't get along, I think Meyer was hoping after they got divorced that the situation would correct itself, but unfortunately it didn't and here we are.
is there a current restraining order on Zach Smith? if so, how does he see his kids? he has at least 1 kid, correct?

it is interesting that this is about what happened in 2015, they were divorced in 2016, and this all comes out in 2018.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT