ADVERTISEMENT

Should churches be allowed to obtain wealth.

Brian, methinks you’re getting caught up in semantics here. Even From a catholic perspective, there is a fair distinction between being open to believing in god (the vernacular agnostic) and rejecting god (the vernacular atheist).

There's alot of overlap between the two. A person can crossover between agnostic and atheist every day.

There are agnostic atheists, too. It's all very complex.

Well, that seems uncalled for. Why are the funds I use to pay the painter not on your "double-tax" radar?
Holy shite asshat!

I see I need to take it from the top with you:
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Uh huh...and what are you getting from your "donation" to the church? Nothing at all? They call that Sunday meeting a "service", no?
I may have to go back and reread your stance, but what does anyone personally gain from any donation? I gain nothing from donating to charitable organizations. However, each charitable organization benefits from my donations to further their cause. In the case of my church, my donations pay for the facility, the staff, and their many many outreach and mission programs. This has been the case for generations, churches have been behind our world's most benevolent actions since before our country was even born; hospitals, shelters, outreach programs, and the list goes on.

Sure, there will ALWAYS be cases of abuse, but again, punish the abuser, not the cause. If some senior exec embezzled a bunch of money from the Red Cross, is that indicative of the Red Cross's charter or that person? Just because Joel Osteen is a multi-millionaire doesn't mean my pastor is crooked.

I realize I may be wrapping you up in my response unnecessarily, so let my comments apply or not where necessary. I'm probably thinking more out loud than anything.

• Love
Reactions: BrianNole777
I may have to go back and reread your stance, but what does anyone personally gain from any donation? I gain nothing from donating to charitable organizations. However, each charitable organization benefits from my donations to further their cause. In the case of my church, my donations pay for the facility, the staff, and their many many outreach and mission programs. This has been the case for generations, churches have been behind our world's most benevolent actions since before our country was even born; hospitals, shelters, outreach programs, and the list goes on.

Sure, there will ALWAYS be cases of abuse, but again, punish the abuser, not the cause. If some senior exec embezzled a bunch of money from the Red Cross, is that indicative of the Red Cross's charter or that person? Just because Joel Osteen is a multi-millionaire doesn't mean my pastor is crooked.

I realize I may be wrapping you up in my response unnecessarily, so let my comments apply or not where necessary. I'm probably thinking more out loud than anything.

Excellent post!

@tarheelbybirth you're a high school teacher, right?

Since 5% of teachers have been accused of abusing students (maybe more) should we stop supporting ALL teachers and schools??

Maybe we should end all public schools since 5% of teachers are abusing students?!

Let me know the Republican agenda that takes care of children after they're born. The number one killer of children is a non-starter to fix for Republicans. How about mental health? Nope. Children in poverty or homeless? Nope. Funding pre-school or their public educations? Nope. Feeding them? Nope.

Basically, STFU.
Why kill them when we can really make them suffer?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Excellent post!

Since 5% of teachers have been accused of abusing students (maybe more) should we stop supporting ALL teachers and schools??

Maybe we should end all public schools since 5% of teachers are abusing students?!
Except for the fact that men who supposedly represent the God of the Bible would be held to the highest standards. Divine standards at that.
NO CLERGY and I do mean NONE should be getting a salary for teaching the word of God.
And before you go asking...Jehovah's Witnesses are entirely funded by VOLUNTARY donations. Collections are never taken, the men who are in positions of teaching do NOT get paid. Most have full time jobs to support themselves and their families.
Churches have an exuberant amount of wealth and while you may claim they do some good with missions etc, they spend far more paying their hierarchy and trying to put on a show with fancy churches. Too bad they don't spend enough time actually teaching scripture. Course they're busy preaching a social sermon or supporting politics.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Except for the fact that men who supposedly represent the God of the Bible would be held to the highest standards. Divine standards at that.
NO CLERGY and I do mean NONE should be getting a salary for teaching the word of God.
And before you go asking...Jehovah's Witnesses are entirely funded by VOLUNTARY donations. Collections are never taken, the men who are in positions of teaching do NOT get paid. Most have full time jobs to support themselves and their families.
Churches have an exuberant amount of wealth and while you may claim they do some good with missions etc, they spend far more paying their hierarchy and trying to put on a show with fancy churches. Too bad they don't spend enough time actually teaching scripture. Course they're busy preaching a social sermon or supporting politics.

How often do you go to other churches and listen to sermons?

At mine (I rotate 4) every sermon is about Scripture. I've heard very few about politics.

How often do you go to other churches and listen to sermons?

At mine (I rotate 3) every sermon is about Scripture. I've heard very few about politics.
i talk to enough people that tell me it's one of the main reasons they left the church. No substance to their teaching and a bunch of politically slanted rhetoric. Probably why churches are hemorrhaging members.

Should they be allowed to accumulate wealth? Absolutely.
Should they be taxed on that wealth? Damned skippy!

I can honestly say I've not experienced that in any of the churches I've been to in the last 20+ years sans one little Southern Baptist Church in Leon Valley, TX. It was pretty bad too.

If a pastor can't draw a salary, how does he live? Pastors have lives and expenses just like the rest of us and a lot goes into running a church not to mention our pastor is in the office every day with set counseling hours as well.

It may behoove you to take some weekends traveling around your area to attend some local churches...I'd avoid the really big ones who are focused on production and TV audiences.

Here's a sermon from our head pastor as an example, they feel more like Ted Talks:

You continually try and view a Republican through the lens of a left leaning statist.

Leftists view successful government policy by how many new laws were created or how much money was spent. All those things do is continually take more and more freedom from the citizens.
Says the guy who is complaining about lefties trying to describe Republicans.

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4
i talk to enough people that tell me it's one of the main reasons they left the church. No substance to their teaching and a bunch of politically slanted rhetoric. Probably why churches are hemorrhaging members.
You can laugh all you want, however a lot of people on here would agree with me. If they were religious why are they no longer going?
The church hasn't met the spiritual needs of their congregations. Why? Because they teach doctrines of men and not of God. And I see enough sermons to know they are more interested in social reform and political agendas than actually teaching scripture. Or they teach falsehoods that keep people in confusion and fear about who God really is.

what were their costs? how much free testing and stuff did they give away? I wouldn't call keeping your doors open and providing health care a political activity.

But you call keeping your doors open and providing a place to worship, amongst many other charitable things in their community, a political activity?

You're full of shit. Iowa and Kim Reynolds has done several things to take care of people after they're born. You ignore them. You refuse to learn. That's a you problem.
Holy crap! You believe this. Another rightie who tells us to ignore how Republicans vote.

You can laugh all you want, however a lot of people on here would agree with me. If they were religious why are they no longer going?
The church hasn't met the spiritual needs of their congregations. Why? Because they teach doctrines of men and not of God. And I see enough sermons to know they are more interested in social reform and political agendas than actually teaching scripture. Or they teach falsehoods that keep people in confusion and fear about who God really is.
You are taking a very United States view at a truly global situation. Globally, the church is growing. In some areas quite tremendously.

You are taking a very United States view at a truly global situation. Globally, the church is growing. In some areas quite tremendously.
Our little church that pre-2020 was meeting in a hotel banquet hall is growing so fast we can't keep up, despite adding another service time and we've had two plant churches.

But I do think that's abnormal for most of America where church attendance is declining.

what were their costs? how much free testing and stuff did they give away? I wouldn't call keeping your doors open and providing health care a political activity.
Funny. You could be talking about the Catholic Church. Except add feeding the poor, shut ins, natural disaster victims, homeless and more when you’re talking about the church though. Are those political activities?

Our little church that pre-2020 was meeting in a hotel banquet hall is growing so fast we can't keep up, despite adding another service time and we've had two plant churches.

But I do think that's abnormal for most of America where church attendance is declining.

Same here. My church is experiencing explosive growth too, but that is primarily a function of population trends in my area. That being said, we are growing organically as well which is awesome.

Excellent post!

You probably don't want to go there but maybe you do have evidence of the highest authorities knowingly and systematically moving abusive teachers from school to school for decades while covering up their misdeeds. I know you'll have a tough time naming school districts sitting on vast wealth while declaring bankruptcy in the face of lawsuits.

You probably don't want to go there but maybe you do have evidence of the highest authorities knowingly and systematically moving abusive teachers from school to school for decades while covering up their misdeeds. I know you'll have a tough time naming school districts sitting on vast wealth while declaring bankruptcy in the face of lawsuits.

I'd love to go there.

Public schools have covered up sexual abuse systematically and have teachers unions protect the teachers. An estimated 1 in 10 students in a public school will he subjected to abuse by a teacher.

Does this mean we should stop supporting public schools because 5-10% of teachers abused kids??

Last edited:

You gain nothing from a charitable donation to an entity that doesn't affect you in any way. Paying "dues" at a church gives you access to a myriad of services and facilities whether you avail yourself of them or not. Truth is I have no problem at all with the vast, vast majority of churches but the idea that taxing their wealth is double taxation is idiotic. If you don't like the idea of taxing the church, fine. Stop making their donations tax-deductible.

The truth is most churches wouldn't meet the most basic percentages that we use to judge other charitable organizations. The largest portion of their donations - by far - go to facilities, personnel, and administrative expenses. If you want your donations to actually do some good, give them directly to highly rated charitable organizations that spend 80+% of their money on their actual mission. Otherwise, you're just paying for a seat on Sunday.

Agnosticism is basically atheism because agnostics lack belief in God.
This is completely wrong. Agnostic questions God's existence but don't state they know the answer. Atheists deny God's existence.

Don't lump me in with those spineless pvssies who can't make a decision.

This is completely wrong. Agnostic questions God's existence but don't state they know the answer. Atheists deny God's existence.

Don't lump me in with those spineless pvssies who can't make a decision.

No one "knows" the answer.

It's a question of belief.

A person that lacks belief in God would be an atheist.

Last edited:
You gain nothing from a charitable donation to an entity that doesn't affect you in any way. Paying "dues" at a church gives you access to a myriad of services and facilities whether you avail yourself of them or not. Truth is I have no problem at all with the vast, vast majority of churches but the idea that taxing their wealth is double taxation is idiotic. If you don't like the idea of taxing the church, fine. Stop making their donations tax-deductible.

The truth is most churches wouldn't meet the most basic percentages that we use to judge other charitable organizations. The largest portion of their donations - by far - go to facilities, personnel, and administrative expenses. If you want your donations to actually do some good, give them directly to highly rated charitable organizations that spend 80+% of their money on their actual mission. Otherwise, you're just paying for a seat on Sunday.
Not quite fair since their operations are a separate exempt purpose in addition to charity

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT