ADVERTISEMENT

Should churches be allowed to obtain wealth.

Sure. Tax them.

Planned Parenthood had $1.3 Billion in tax exempt revenue last year. Them too, right? Or is their “political agenda” ok?
Was it a tax exemption that was approved by Congress? Did the exemption violate any constitutional prohibition?

The belief by most here seems to be that religious organizations are getting exemptions that are inappropriate -- because of religion. That doesn't mean all exemptions are inappropriate.

This is completely wrong. Agnostic questions God's existence.
What is this thing you are questioning the existence of?

I suggest that if you can answer that question, you would be able to say with reasonable certainty that the thing you've identified either does or doesn't exist.

It's only because some folks allow "God" to be ill-defined that you can leave the door open to the existence of God.

There are lots of definitions of "God" that are plausible enough - such as "that which began the universe" - but are pretty useless. I mean, sure, you can call the Big Bang "God" if you want to, but so what?

Similarly you can say that God is a dude with magical powers who lives on Mt Olympus and occasionally meddles in the affairs of man. And then you can go to Mt Olympus and look for him. At some point, you'll probably conclude that he doesn't exist, although some will doubtless claim you just missed him.

You could say that a round-square is God. In which case you could rule out his existence as a logical contradiction.

You could say, as some cultures have, that the Sun is God. In which case God definitely exists. But again, so what? How does that guide your life or explain what happens when you die?

So . . . just what is this God thing that you are leaving the door open to?

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Was it a tax exemption that was approved by Congress? Did the exemption violate any constitutional prohibition?

The belief by most here seems to be that religious organizations are getting exemptions that are inappropriate -- because of religion. That doesn't mean all exemptions are inappropriate.
The OP used "furthering a political agenda" as a reason to disqualify them from a tax exemption. My point was we wouldn't have many institutions with tax exempt status if that was the pre-requisite.

Reactions: abby97
If the “wealth” is being used for good causes, such as feeding, medicating and educating the poor, I’m okay with the churches obtaining “wealth”. A couple examples would be the Mormons spending a lot of money on food and rehab to save my alcoholic friend’s life and the Catholic parish in my neighborhood that feeds hundreds of families.

If the “wealth” is being used so guys like Joel Osteen can live in mega mansions and have a car collection, yeah, that should be taxed.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Why should churches be allowed to sit on huge amounts of cash and be allowed tax exempt status? To further a political agenda. I have a rich catholic sister who I asked u think jesus js hanging out with u.. show me where he is frolicking with the rich on a beach somewhere
The entire tax law needs to be we-examined and retooled. “Non-profits” should not be allowed to act as depots for cash and property.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT