ADVERTISEMENT

Should HROT Have a Politics-Free Day? Or a Religion-Free Day? Both?

A day without politics is like a day without taking a dump. Not healthy to keep that bottled inside.

You know anyone can do that pretty easy on their own. Let just let the market decide what threads people want to participate in and read.

Reactions: TexMichFan
You know anyone can do that pretty easy on their own. Let just let the market decide what threads people want to participate in and read.

Exactly. If people aren't interested in the topic, they'll ignore it and it will fall down the page.

And people can always post non-political/religious posts. Is anybody having relationship problems? Those are fun.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Yep, like all liberals, the OP is just interested in controlling people rather than letting people choose for themselves what to say, read or reply to.

Reactions: sijoint and IMCC965
Ha.

At least I hope that was intended as humor. It would be pretty sad if you actually believed that.

Not that the Republicans don't do it, too.

Democrats want to regulate your wallet, your weapon of choice, what sort of light bulbs you're allowed to have, and - my biggest pet peeve - what you must be tolerant of (and you must be intolerant of intolerance).

Republicans want to regulate your bedroom, your womb, and whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. And don't get me started on what you're allowed to put in your body.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
The news changes from day to day on the politics and current events so I don't see a need there.

Some of the religious posts can be a tad redundant and don't bring anything new to the discussion.

The news changes from day to day on the politics and current events so I don't see a need there.

Some of the religious posts can be a tad redundant and don't bring anything new to the discussion.
I think both genres have a tendency to fall into the same-old, same-old after a while. But they are usually begun based on different stories and perspectives.

I don't trust myself to stick to it. What if Big Ben comes out and admits he is actually a serial killer on a non politics day?
Admit it? He would probably make up a story that he used to be a killer and that's how the Lord led him to medicine. And evangelicals would eat it up as a redemptions story and nominate him for sure.

See? I got to have religion and politics.

Reactions: The Tradition
It will be interesting to see if this week's media blitz against him shows up in the polls.

See? I got to have religion and politics.
Here's you go:

12074519_10153376951818025_3613829252679095415_n.jpg

Yep, like all liberals, the OP is just interested in controlling people rather than letting people choose for themselves what to say, read or reply to.

Ha.

At least I hope that was intended as humor. It would be pretty sad if you actually believed that.

Not that the Republicans don't do it, too.
In case you hadn't noticed, I was asking a question and looking for a consensus. That's about as far from being "just interested in controlling people" as you can get.

In case you hadn't noticed, I was asking a question and looking for a consensus. That's about as far from being "just interested in controlling people" as you can get.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Even if there's a "consensus" it doesn't make the proposed action correct.

What do you think? If we wanted to do it, would people respect it?

THere is a law...a guarantee in the US Constitution that "we the people" enjoy the right of freedom of religion. That means....we can practice whatever religion we want or choose NOT to practice any religion at all, free from retribution of any kind. This guarantee does NOT permit those who choose to practice their religion to use this practice to discriminate against others. Period.

I fail to see the confusion here. IF one has a business that is open to the public, I believe it is against the law to use their religious beliefs to deny services and or products that they routinely provide to others based on the customers race, religion, sexual preference.

I don't even see how this might be "unfair". This is America. That is the way we do things here........The religious fundies are acting like they are living Europe....or the Middle East in their interpretation of their "religious rights." I can't believe that smart and intelligent men, like Cruz, Jindal and Huckabuck even argue this point.

America is a great country. It is at its greatest when religion is left out of the discussion. Religion is truly nothing more than an opiate for the masses.

THere is a law...a guarantee in the US Constitution that "we the people" enjoy the right of freedom of religion. That means....we can practice whatever religion we want or choose NOT to practice any religion at all, free from retribution of any kind. This guarantee does NOT permit those who choose to practice their religion to use this practice to discriminate against others. Period.

I fail to see the confusion here. IF one has a business that is open to the public, I believe it is against the law to use their religious beliefs to deny services and or products that they routinely provide to others based on the customers race, religion, sexual preference.

I don't even see how this might be "unfair". This is America. That is the way we do things here........The religious fundies are acting like they are living Europe....or the Middle East in their interpretation of their "religious rights." I can't believe that smart and intelligent men, like Cruz, Jindal and Huckabuck even argue this point.

America is a great country. It is at its greatest when religion is left out of the discussion. Religion is truly nothing more than an opiate for the masses.

Uh, Chic-Fil-A will sell you a chicken sandwich whether you're straight, gay, trans, bi, Christian, Buddhist, Atheist, whatever. But if you want them to make a chicken sandwich that says, "Happy Wedding Dave and Mike" written in mayonnaise, Chic-Fil-A should have the right to refuse such a request.

I read one of these gay wedding cake stories where the sincere Christian baker actually offered to make the gay wedding cake, and teach the "groom and groom" how to write the message they wanted on the cake and provide the tools to do so, but even this compromise was a bridge too far for the activists.

Uh, Chic-Fil-A will sell you a chicken sandwich whether you're straight, gay, trans, bi, Christian, Buddhist, Atheist, whatever. But if you want them to make a chicken sandwich that says, "Happy Wedding Dave and Mike" written in mayonnaise, Chic-Fil-A should have the right to refuse such a request.

THat is your opinion. In Europe, they could. In the USA, I don't know how ethical it is. But anyone who eats ChicFilet probably needs their head examined.
In Ioway this all is rotating around the Odegaard situation.....Origibnally, they were a public entity who publicly refused to serve a gay wedding based on their religious beliefs. You can't do that. Its against the law. Now, they could have made the whole situation really unpleasant for "the couple" and blamed it on a bad day. But you cannot deny service/discriminate (in a public establishment) based on religious beliefs.
Since then, these folks have made their business "a church"....and they have an out. Personally, I think folks who use their religion for such a purpose are not very religious....and even less smart. But it is their decision. The 1st Amendment was never written to protect the religious evangelicals...it was written to protect "we the people."

I read one of these gay wedding cake stories where the sincere Christian baker actually offered to make the gay wedding cake, and teach the "groom and groom" how to write the message they wanted on the cake and provide the tools to do so, but even this compromise was a bridge too far for the activists.
Yep, activists are crazy for insisting on equality that way. Just bonkers.

THat is your opinion. In Europe, they could. In the USA, I don't know how ethical it is. But anyone who eats ChicFilet probably needs their head examined.
In Ioway this all is rotating around the Odegaard situation.....Origibnally, they were a public entity who publicly refused to serve a gay wedding based on their religious beliefs. You can't do that. Its against the law. Now, they could have made the whole situation really unpleasant for "the couple" and blamed it on a bad day. But you cannot deny service/discriminate (in a public establishment) based on religious beliefs.
Since then, these folks have made their business "a church"....and they have an out. Personally, I think folks who use their religion for such a purpose are not very religious....and even less smart. But it is their decision. The 1st Amendment was never written to protect the religious evangelicals...it was written to protect "we the people."

So, if you're a Jewish baker, should you be required to make a Nazi cake?

If it happens, I would suggest Thanksgiving as the day. We all should be distracted enough by family, food and football to not miss HROT politics.

If it happens, I would suggest Thanksgiving as the day. We all should be distracted enough by family, food and football to not miss HROT politics.

Thanksgiving is good. I'll be too busy arguing with my stupid in-laws to bother with you people.

Do you seriously think a Palestinian would go to a Jewish baker and have him bake him a cake?
If my uncle was a woman, would be be my aunt?

Then why do gays go to Christian bakers to get a wedding cake? I mean, aren't they afraid they'll get a lousy cake?

"Ooops... I accidentally added a cup of salt instead of sugar. Oh, well. Let that be a lesson to them about Sodom and Gomorrah."

If I was looking to purchase a wedding cake, I'd want to hire someone who was, you know, excited about working for me?

Reactions: SailorJerryHawk
Then why do gays go to Christian bakers to get a wedding cake? I mean, aren't they afraid they'll get a lousy cake?

"Ooops... I accidentally added a cup of salt instead of sugar. Oh, well. Let that be a lesson to them about Sodom and Gomorrah."

If I was looking to purchase a wedding cake, I'd want to hire someone who was, you know, excited about working for me?

To make a point? Trad....people aren't perfect. Christians are not perfect. Jews are not perfect. Muslims are not perfect. Athiests are not perfect. Hell, gays are not perfect either.
I really don't think this issue is worth pickin' a fight over. You can't win. Unless you wanna play the victim card. Is it worth it? You can as right as you want to be and still be wrong/.

To make a point? Trad....people aren't perfect. Christians are not perfect. Jews are not perfect. Muslims are not perfect. Athiests are not perfect. Hell, gays are not perfect either.
I really don't think this issue is worth pickin' a fight over. You can't win. Unless you wanna play the victim card. Is it worth it? You can as right as you want to be and still be wrong/.

The point is this: at some point, forced equality becomes as tyrannical as forced segregation. It is better that people be able to do business with whom they desire to contract with, rather than the government mandating everybody do business with everybody. "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" should be the way a private business is allowed to operate. If the community doesn't like that, then they're free to speak out or boycott, but using the force of government is wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT