ADVERTISEMENT

Should we put an end to Daddy/Daughter dances Mother/Son events?

So my wife just got back with the latest from the PTA board meeting tonight. There's a new board member this year and she's pushing hard for the end of daddy/daughter dances & mother/son events. Says it's not inclusive and she's sick and tired of "Christians" trying to push their views on everyone else (irony, I know). We're in Texas, so I'm sure you can imagine the push back.

Here are my thoughts. When my daughter was on the HS dance team, one teammate had lesbian parents. And each year for the daddy/daughter dance (we performed a routine at half-time), one of the mom's performed with her daughter. To my knowledge there was never any complaints and all us dads welcomed her to our chaos each of the four years.

The same can be said of my son's school. Regardless, if it's a mother/son or dad/daughter it's been open to many different scenarios--single parent, deployed parent, same-sex couple, etc., realizing each of those scenarios is a very small percentage.

Thoughts?
Your perspective is the reasonable perspective. Don't take it away from the kids because the adults have an agenda.

Let the record show I'm certainly not talking about this frack'n lunacy. What in the entire hell?! Once again, man loves religious ceremony and unnecessary, unbiblical procedure. I wish people in these situations would actually read through the Bible. It'd be a pretty great start to their Faith journey.
I read the headline and almost puked, literally made me feel sick for a second.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I read the headline and almost puked, literally made me feel sick for a second.
Ya, it'll take you aback for a second.

taken-aback-shocked.gif

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Well, here in Texas the lottery was supposed to "fix" all our educational financial woes. (yes, I'm chuckling as I type this).
Same here. It raises less money than a statewide 1/4 cent sales tax hike would have raised. And they cut the education budget after the lottery went into effect just like we knew they would. *rolling eyes*

• Angry
Reactions: alaskanseminole

'You are married to the Lord and your daddy is your boyfriend': Purity balls, in which girls 'gift their virginity' to their fathers until marriage, sweeping America​

Purity balls, in which a girl pledges to remain ‘pure’ until her wedding day, symbolically ‘marries’ God, and promises her father that she will remain a virgin until she's a wife, have become a phenomenon in America, now taking place in 48 out of the 50 states.

The balls resemble giant wedding ceremonies, with the girls - all around the age of 12 - wearing white gowns and dancing with their fathers who promise to ‘protect’ their daughter’s chastity.

During the ceremony, fathers present their daughters with purity rings, which they wear to symbolise their commitment to virginity.

article-2586036-1C77D03D00000578-160_638x689.jpg

5b32c98af4194.image.jpg

I've always found these pretty creepy as well. That said I don't think you should conflate them with father/daughter dances. They simply arn't the same thing.

The father/daughter dances don't seem to hurt anything and I think it's good for a child to get one on one time for fun with each parent and this can be a way for her to have that one on one time with her father.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Daddy-daughter dances are creepy? I took my daughters to them for years and it was one of their favorite events to go to. we all got dressed up I put on a suit and tie they were so much fun.
torbee has some weird opinions about the proper ways for parents to support and engage with their children and he is apparently pretty passionate about them. I remember him once saying that anyone who attends their children's sporting events prior to high school varsity level is a loser. I think he did make an exception for parent coaches though.

I've never been to one of these, but I cannot see the harm. torbee's daughter didn't enjoy the one he took her to and so they went and did something she did enjoy. That's great. That's good parenting because you are letting the child guide how to spend that one-on-one time. I have one daughter that would not want to do something like this. She would rather go to do something active like ice skating or bike ride and lunch, or to a Gopher women's sporting event. But my other daughter absolutely loves dressing up and doing formal things. She would love it, absolutely love it. The key is that you are doing what makes your daughter happy, not what makes you happy.

Last edited:
So my wife just got back with the latest from the PTA board meeting tonight. There's a new board member this year and she's pushing hard for the end of daddy/daughter dances & mother/son events. Says it's not inclusive and she's sick and tired of "Christians" trying to push their views on everyone else (irony, I know). We're in Texas, so I'm sure you can imagine the push back.

Here are my thoughts. When my daughter was on the HS dance team, one teammate had lesbian parents. And each year for the daddy/daughter dance (we performed a routine at half-time), one of the mom's performed with her daughter. To my knowledge there was never any complaints and all us dads welcomed her to our chaos each of the four years.

The same can be said of my son's school. Regardless, if it's a mother/son or dad/daughter it's been open to many different scenarios--single parent, deployed parent, same-sex couple, etc., realizing each of those scenarios is a very small percentage.

Thoughts?
I fully understand the comment about Christian's pushing their shit into a secular society.

Is someone really going to gaf if a mom (or uncle, grandmother, cousin) comes to the dance instead of a father? If people are gonna be bitches about it, just put a little disclaimer notice saying everyone is welcome to dance or someshit like that.
I like in a small very christian very republican community that just had a daddy daughter dance and a lesbian brought her daughter. There was no outrage or people of any kind bitching. Daddy daughter dances dont have bouncers checking the parents genitalia at the door. It's not about inclusion, it's about some miserable POS seeing people have a good time and finding a reason to be angry.

I fully understand the comment about Christian's pushing their shit into a secular society.
Not sure how it was applicable to a father-daughter dance. Hell, one of the even coordinators on the PTA board is an atheist...or agnostic. I can't recall, came up in a conversation once.

torbee has some weird opinions about the proper ways for parents to support and engage with their children and he is apparently pretty passionate about them. I remember him once saying that anyone who attends their children's sporting events prior to high school varsity level is a loser. I think he did make an exception for parent coaches though.

I've never been to one of these, but I cannot see the harm. torbee's daughter didn't enjoy the one he took her to and so they went and did something she did enjoy. That's great. That's good parenting because you are letting the child guide how to spend that one-on-one time. I have one daughter that would not want to do something like this. She would rather go to do something active like ice skating or bike ride and lunch, or to a Gopher women's sporting event. But my other daughter absolutely loves dressing up and doing formal things. She would love it, absolutely love it. The key is that you are doing what makes your daughter happy, not what makes you happy.
Nope, never said that.

I said that IN THE PAST, it was considered very normal for kids to go to Little League, Jr. High basketball games, etc., etc., without their parents and just participate with their peers and coaches with few-if-any parents or other adult relatives in the stands or on the sidelines and no one batted an eye. (timeframe I'm referring to is late 70s/early 80s). As for the "loser" comment, I believe I said as a tween in the early 80s, I would have felt like a loser if both my parents showed up and cheered at my sporting events, as it was considered kind of weird at the time.

NOW, if you DON'T show up with both parents, you are looked at as a poor parent. And I think that's dumb (although I do bend to societal pressure myself and rarely if ever missed a game of travel soccer or volleyball over more than a decade.)

I am a firm believer in "free range" parenting and think we as a society have done a terrible disservice to our kids by being ALWAYS THERE and making sure everything is organized, recorded, posted to social media and attended by parents. We have raised a generation that struggles with independence. And I'd even go so far as to say this attitude likely plays some role in the increase in anxiety and other mental health issues with teens and young adults. We've micromanged them into being overly reliant on "adults" and less independent.

I don't think my views on this are radical at all, to be honest.

Reactions: TennNole17

'You are married to the Lord and your daddy is your boyfriend': Purity balls, in which girls 'gift their virginity' to their fathers until marriage, sweeping America​

Purity balls, in which a girl pledges to remain ‘pure’ until her wedding day, symbolically ‘marries’ God, and promises her father that she will remain a virgin until she's a wife, have become a phenomenon in America, now taking place in 48 out of the 50 states.

The balls resemble giant wedding ceremonies, with the girls - all around the age of 12 - wearing white gowns and dancing with their fathers who promise to ‘protect’ their daughter’s chastity.

During the ceremony, fathers present their daughters with purity rings, which they wear to symbolise their commitment to virginity.

5b32c98af4194.image.jpg

That is, without a doubt, venturing into creepy af, cultish territory.

Nope, never said that.

I said that IN THE PAST, it was considered very normal for kids to go to Little League, Jr. High basketball games, etc., etc., without their parents and just participate with their peers and coaches with few-if-any parents or other adult relatives in the stands or on the sidelines and no one batted an eye. (timeframe I'm referring to is late 70s/early 80s). As for the "loser" comment, I believe I said as a tween in the early 80s, I would have felt like a loser if both my parents showed up and cheered at my sporting events, as it was considered kind of weird at the time.

NOW, if you DON'T show up with both parents, you are looked at as a poor parent. And I think that's dumb (although I do bend to societal pressure myself and rarely if ever missed a game of travel soccer or volleyball over more than a decade.)

I am a firm believer in "free range" parenting and think we as a society have done a terrible disservice to our kids by being ALWAYS THERE and making sure everything is organized, recorded, posted to social media and attended by parents. We have raised a generation that struggles with independence. And I'd even go so far as to say this attitude likely plays some role in the increase in anxiety and other mental health issues with teens and young adults. We've micromanged them into being overly reliant on "adults" and less independent.

I don't think my views on this are radical at all, to be honest.
I hadn't thought about it much, but you are so right, in the 70's dads and any working moms (not super common then) did not take off work or have flexibility to come to any daytime sports events. And my parents didn't go to all away games even when I was in high school, especially basketball. You sparked quite a memory though - imagine my shock and chagrin when about 15 years ago I walked into the gym for our city league basketball championship game and my parents were in the stands with at most 6 other people who were all girlfriends/wives of other players. I had mentioned it to them and my mom had said they should come and I said "oh, definitely not, there aren't really fans at our city league games, you don't need to do that." Not only was I the oldest player on either team, but the only one whose folks were there.

Reactions: torbee
I hadn't thought about it much, but you are so right, in the 70's dads and any working moms (not super common then) did not take off work or have flexibility to come to any daytime sports events. And my parents didn't go to all away games even when I was in high school, especially basketball. You sparked quite a memory though - imagine my shock and chagrin when about 15 years ago I walked into the gym for our city league basketball championship game and my parents were in the stands with at most 6 other people who were all girlfriends/wives of other players. I had mentioned it to them and my mom had said they should come and I said "oh, definitely not, there aren't really fans at our city league games, you don't need to do that." Not only was I the oldest player on either team, but the only one whose folks were there.
I have vivid memories of throwing my bat across my handlebars, putting my glove over one bike handle grip and riding off to go play my Little League weekend games. Dad would wish me luck and then when I got back, ask how I did. I never once thought it was odd or strange that he and mom didn't come along --- they had shit to do and I was just playing baseball!

I hate that everything now has to be inclusive or it's bad.

Not everything has to be for everybody.

5b32c98af4194.image.jpg

wtf-gif.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT