ADVERTISEMENT

Should we put an end to Daddy/Daughter dances Mother/Son events?

Ooooh, an incest thread. This gonna be good.

jason-momoa-folding-chair.gif

And I happen to think you can accomplish all those positives without participating in a performative recreation of lame high school homecomings/proms etc.

We can happily agree to disagree on this issue.

I have a fantastic relationship with my now-grown daughter and we only went to one of these things, for about 15 minutes, before we both said "eww" and left to go bowling and grab Mexican food, which is far more entertaining. :)

FWIW - I’m with you. They’re weird and you can get all the things Alaska said by just going out on the town, hitting nature, etc. with your kids. That said, I didn’t grow up around these and they were never available in my current location. Maybe I’m missing out (I don’t think so).

Reactions: torbee
Middle class white folk be weird, right Gohox?!
Brah...you know us white folk only make up 26% of the population where I am, right? Maybe it has Hispanic origins and can be tied to the Quinceañera. Talk about an event. How about a wedding-type event (equally as costly) at age 16!

Reactions: GOHOX69
When my daughter was on the HS dance team, one teammate had lesbian parents. And each year for the daddy/daughter dance (we performed a routine at half-time), one of the mom's performed with her daughter.
You have a "daddy/daughter dance" in high school?
The dance has a half-time?

So many questions...

And I happen to think you can accomplish all those positives without participating in a performative recreation of lame high school homecomings/proms etc.

I have a fantastic relationship with my now-grown daughter and we only went to one of these things, for about 15 minutes, before we both said "eww" and left to go bowling and grab Mexican food, which is far more entertaining. :)
I have a fantastic relationship with your grown daughter as well.

So instead of a daddy/daughter dance you had a daughter date night?

As stated throughout those situations have always been covered by a fill-in. I've seen grandfathers, mothers (spouse in a same-sex couple). The cases are small, so accommodations really aren't hard. There's nothing wrong with 100 girls having a father-daughter dance with 2-3 kids having a fill-in at said event.

I would take issue with an event not making accommodations for unique circumstances, but I don't feel the entire event's premise should be thwarted for unique situations.
I have no problem with a school having such an event but it is exclusionary by it's nature. Those cases would be neither small nor unique at my school or lots of others. I realize suburban middle-class schools don't face those issues but an inner-city school is a different environment. Forget about a father or fill-in being available, an after-school event would exclude many just because they don't have a way to get back and forth or they take care of younger siblings after school. We have students who can't stay for after-school academic clubs or for sports for those reasons. The students we have who can stay for those are almost invariably our suburban, middle class, magnet students.

So instead of a daddy/daughter dance you had a daughter date night?
I mean, I wouldn't call it that --- when I go on a date I'm hoping for AT LEAST a handy afterward --- but sure, call it whatever you want.

I tend to call it "doing shit with my kid because I like them and am a good dad."

I have no problem with a school having such an event but it is exclusionary by it's nature. Those cases would be neither small nor unique at my school or lots of others. I realize suburban middle-class schools don't face those issues but an inner-city school is a different environment. Forget about a father or fill-in being available, an after-school event would exclude many just because they don't have a way to get back and forth or they take care of younger siblings after school. We have students who can't stay for after-school academic clubs or for sports for those reasons. The students we have who can stay for those are almost invariably our suburban, middle class, magnet students.
Then maybe this is as simple as 'play to your environment', in which case it's not a tone-deaf event and fits well within the social norms for the given area.

77.5%
Minority Enrollment

22.5%
White

61.1%
Hispanic/Latino

Student progress is listed as above average and 26% is considered to be low-income (which I find high considering our area)

As a father of a now 17 year old son, not once in his school years has there ever been a mother/son dance. Only daddy/daughter dances were offered. Talk about lack of inclusion. My wife (no pics) has been pissed for years about this. Me I can give a shit. So there is that.
Most teen sons would be embarrassed to dance with any of their female relatives.

Reactions: Hawkdiver
So my wife just got back with the latest from the PTA board meeting tonight. There's a new board member this year and she's pushing hard for the end of daddy/daughter, mother/son dances. Says it's not inclusive and she's sick and tired of "Christians" trying to push their views on everyone else (irony, I know). We're in Texas, so I'm sure you can imagine the push back.

Here are my thoughts. When my daughter was on the HS dance team, one teammate had lesbian parents. And each year for the daddy/daughter dance (we performed a routine at half-time), one of the mom's performed with her daughter. To my knowledge there was never any complaints and all us dads welcomed her to our chaos each of the four years.

The same can be said of my son's school. Regardless, if it's a mother/son or dad/daughter it's been open to many different scenarios--single parent, deployed parent, same-sex couple, etc., realizing each of those scenarios is a very small percentage.

Thoughts?

As if LGBTQ never considered the fact that some people don't have fathers before it became about them.

This has always been a situation with scores of solutions...grandfathers, uncles, going with a friend and her father, and of course a mother.

This never prevented these events from taking place, and shouldn't now because of activists.

Then maybe this is as simple as 'play to your environment', in which case it's not a tone-deaf event and fits well within the social norms for the given area.

77.5%
Minority Enrollment

22.5%
White

61.1%
Hispanic/Latino

Student progress is listed as above average and 26% is considered to be low-income (which I find high considering our area)
We have multiple dances but they take place during the school day. Hour and a half for each grade level with games, snacks, photo booth. The only ones excluded are for serious violations of school/district code. The parents who can, volunteer. Kids love them.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I mean, I wouldn't call it that --- when I go on a date I'm hoping for AT LEAST a handy afterward --- but sure, call it whatever you want.

I tend to call it "doing shit with my kid because I like them and am a good dad."
Just messing with you. Around here people call them daddy/daughter dates- which I think is odd.

I- like you- don’t need a label to do things with my daughters. More often then not, I just need them to not cancel on me 😂

Reactions: torbee
I want to imagine that this Cubs manager is Sweet Lou Piniella.
My best "brush with greatness" story was Christmas week in the Denver airport waiting on a connecting flight so I went into an airport bar and ordered a beer and was sitting there watching football when Lou walked in. I said "Lou Piniella!" He said "how are you doing?" Said he was there on a ski trip with the family, and they were waiting for a flight, and he had to get away for a bit. He bought me another beer and we talked quite a while. He was super fun to talk to. He had not been the Cubs manager for long.

I don't ever recall one of those when I was in school.
Wasn't a thing when I was a kid but then I'm old.

In any case, since the word "inclusive" came up complaints about it are obviously fairly recent. Whenever you see "inclusive" or "woke" used you know it's modern day morons. Tired of this shit.

'You are married to the Lord and your daddy is your boyfriend': Purity balls, in which girls 'gift their virginity' to their fathers until marriage, sweeping America​

Purity balls, in which a girl pledges to remain ‘pure’ until her wedding day, symbolically ‘marries’ God, and promises her father that she will remain a virgin until she's a wife, have become a phenomenon in America, now taking place in 48 out of the 50 states.

The balls resemble giant wedding ceremonies, with the girls - all around the age of 12 - wearing white gowns and dancing with their fathers who promise to ‘protect’ their daughter’s chastity.

During the ceremony, fathers present their daughters with purity rings, which they wear to symbolise their commitment to virginity.

article-2586036-1C77D03D00000578-160_638x689.jpg

5b32c98af4194.image.jpg

9 beers in and I'm most likely a yes.

Not proud of it, but feel compelled to honesty.
Woof!! I'm older than you and it would take way more than 9 beers to get me to jump that. In fact, I'm so old I can't do 9 beers anymore so ain't happenin'. You having a bad slump or sumpin?

"Exclusion!" The horror!!

'You are married to the Lord and your daddy is your boyfriend': Purity balls, in which girls 'gift their virginity' to their fathers until marriage, sweeping America​

Purity balls, in which a girl pledges to remain ‘pure’ until her wedding day, symbolically ‘marries’ God, and promises her father that she will remain a virgin until she's a wife, have become a phenomenon in America, now taking place in 48 out of the 50 states.

The balls resemble giant wedding ceremonies, with the girls - all around the age of 12 - wearing white gowns and dancing with their fathers who promise to ‘protect’ their daughter’s chastity.

During the ceremony, fathers present their daughters with purity rings, which they wear to symbolise their commitment to virginity.

5b32c98af4194.image.jpg

Man, that's just freaky.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
"Exclusion!" The horror!!
When you have a school with a 60+% minority population and after-school events look like a loaf of Wonder bread...it's a problem. Nothing we can do affordably to fix it but we can try to do more within the school day to include those students. If you have a problem with that, just say so.

5b32c98af4194.image.jpg

Let the record show I'm certainly not talking about this frack'n lunacy. What in the entire hell?! Once again, man loves religious ceremony and unnecessary, unbiblical procedure. I wish people in these situations would actually read through the Bible. It'd be a pretty great start to their Faith journey.

When you have a school with a 60+% minority population and after-school events look like a loaf of Wonder bread...it's a problem. Nothing we can do affordably to fix it but we can try to do more within the school day to include those students. If you have a problem with that, just say so.
Well, here in Texas the lottery was supposed to "fix" all our educational financial woes. (yes, I'm chuckling as I type this).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT