ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Larry Tracy to Indiana

Afraid to compete? Afraid to leave home?
There was some discussion that Iowa had cooled on him. I think at this point in time they are convinced they can start with a little higher caliber athlete. Fwiw the person I am using as my source is very knowledgeable but wasnt sure himself from what info I could find so take it with a grain of salt.

Who knows?
Could be as simple as courtship problems. You can be a 5-star (I know he's not a 5 star) with every offer in the land and if Kirk thinks you have a flaky streak, you won't be coming to Iowa. Or maybe he wasn't comfortable with the amount of hand-holding he was receiving and found a better "fit". "Fit" is a two-way street. Or maybe he wanted to play closer to family and friends. Many possible explanations.

All we know is that nothing is certain until the ink is on the dotted line.

This( Tracy to IU) and Derrick Miller chose Iowa State.Methinks Iowa needs to shore up its cornerback commits sooner than later. With Castro and blue shirt Riley Moss as safeties, Iowa is good shape in that measurement. Josh DeBerry should be visiting sometime. I wonder if Jacardia Wright is a cornerback option.

This( Tracy to IU) and Derrick Miller chose Iowa State.Methinks Iowa needs to shore up its cornerback commits sooner than later. With Castro and blue shirt Riley Moss as safeties, Iowa is good shape in that measurement. Josh DeBerry should be visiting sometime. I wonder if Jacardia Wright is a cornerback option.

I'm not sure I'm following. Iowa is in a position where there's not going to be tons of early playing time for corner recruits in the next couple of classes. With Hankins, Ojemudia, Rugamba, DJ Johnson, Brents, Terry Roberts, they have a lot of corners who will not be seniors in 2018. Brents is likely a safety, but still a lot of names.

Reactions: Wadzinator
There was some discussion that Iowa had cooled on him. I think at this point in time they are convinced they can start with a little higher caliber athlete. Fwiw the person I am using as my source is very knowledgeable but wasnt sure himself from what info I could find so take it with a grain of salt.
Maybe even a whole bag of salt.

I'm not sure I'm following. Iowa is in a position where there's not going to be tons of early playing time for corner recruits in the next couple of classes. With Hankins, Ojemudia, Rugamba, DJ Johnson, Brents, Terry Roberts, they have a lot of corners who will not be seniors in 2018. Brents is likely a safety, but still a lot of names.

Still , Iowa will take at least one CB. Jacardia says he is going to wait until his season is done. Iowa might offer the opportunity at running back back with a DB possibility.

Another name Iowa may heat up with is WI athlete Da'Shaun Brown. Brown plays both ways QB/ and CB. Sort of reminds me of Micah Hyde.

The way things were transpiring with Miller, I got a strong vibe that the Hawks either liked someone else higher on their board OR they were changing directions in the position groups they were targeting.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
I stood right next to Larry Tracy at the spring scrimmage. I'm 6' 180. I felt like a giant. Not trying to detract from his ability....was just surprised.

Seems like Iowa prefers 5'11" to 6'1" DBs because the newer mode is taller WRs (50/50 balls/ mismatches). Iowa wants to be able to get physical. Go Hawks!

I stood right next to Larry Tracy at the spring scrimmage. I'm 6' 180. I felt like a giant. Not trying to detract from his ability....was just surprised.
This happens quite often i am 6'2 and my son is 6'8 and we meet a lot of football players listed at 6"1 and it is not just my son who towers over them lol.

Any HS corner who envisioned himself as a D1 starter would not be intimidated by any name on that list. Neither Rugamba nor Ojemudia looked like someone who was going to be hard to unseat last year.

Who knows?
Could be as simple as courtship problems. You can be a 5-star (I know he's not a 5 star) with every offer in the land and if Kirk thinks you have a flaky streak, you won't be coming to Iowa. Or maybe he wasn't comfortable with the amount of hand-holding he was receiving and found a better "fit". "Fit" is a two-way street. Or maybe he wanted to play closer to family and friends. Many possible explanations.

All we know is that nothing is certain until the ink is on the dotted line.

I was wondering why he disappeared off the board....

Reactions: JoelBittner
Any HS corner who envisioned himself as a D1 starter would not be intimidated by any name on that list. Neither Rugamba nor Ojemudia looked like someone who was going to be hard to unseat last year.
You don't know what you're talking about. Ojemudia in particular has been singled out by Phil Parker on a couple occasions.

Maybe even a whole bag of salt.
My source was a mod on this board. Prior to joining the paid board a couple days ago I was pretty crafty with how to get tidbits of info from the pay site. If I would give you my direct post I was referencing I would have been kicked. I'm assuming now that I have access to the paid stuff providing the actual post would also get me kicked.

He was singled out repeatedly by Iowa State and Purdue as well.

When you have a first team All-American on one side, teams go away from him.

Most football fans don't know wtf they're talking about, particularly with corners.

Greg Mabin was the CB whipping boy of the dipshit portion of the Iowa fanbase. If you asked most of them, Mabin was the worst CB in P5, if not all of FBS.

Greg Mabin played 7 games in the NFL last year.

When you have a first team All-American on one side, teams go away from him.

Most football fans don't know wtf they're talking about, particularly with corners.

Greg Mabin was the CB whipping boy of the dipshit portion of the Iowa fanbase. If you asked most of them, Mabin was the worst CB in P5, if not all of FBS.

Greg Mabin played 7 games in the NFL last year.

FWIW, I thought Mabin was a good player.

Reactions: ichawk24
Rugamba has come up big a few times for the Hawks, big play ability but is not disciplined. Ojemudia not as athletic, IMHO.

Nor should he be expected to be as athletic. He played OLB in HS and was recruited to be a safety.

Last edited:
This( Tracy to IU) and Derrick Miller chose Iowa State .Methinks Iowa needs to shore up its cornerback commits sooner than later. With Castro and blue shirt Riley Moss as safeties, Iowa is good shape in that measurement. Josh DeBerry should be visiting sometime. I wonder if Jacardia Wright is a cornerback option.
Dane Belton is visiting this weekend. He seems to be the priority at CB right now for the last spot at that position. That's why Tracy and Miller have gone elsewhere...

Predictable. A kid commits somewhere else so we instantly go to "the coaches cooled on this kid because this guy is better." Iowa isn't OSU. They don't get every player they want. I don't have any idea why Tracy chose Indiana. Closer to home, better chance to play early? Maybe he thinks they are building something; maybe he likes a coach there.
Did anyone here anything about the coaches pulling his offer? I have seen nothing to that effect.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Predictable. A kid commits somewhere else so we instantly go to "the coaches cooled on this kid because this guy is better." Iowa isn't OSU. They don't get every player they want. I don't have any idea why Tracy chose Indiana. Closer to home, better chance to play early? Maybe he thinks they are building something; maybe he likes a coach there.
Did anyone here anything about the coaches pulling his offer? I have seen nothing to that effect.
There is a reason both Miller and Tracy went elsewhere. The priorities for this small recruiting class are visiting this weekend or were invited but can't make it (Bell and Henrich). There are not many 'takes' for Iowa right now. I'm sure Iowa will reassess after the July dead period and some new names will emerge for the last couple spots.

What are you doing posting on here at 3:43 AM? Go to bed.

There is a reason both Miller and Tracy went elsewhere. The priorities for this small recruiting class are visiting this weekend or were invited but can't make it (Bell and Henrich). There are not many 'takes' for Iowa right now. I'm sure Iowa will reassess after the July dead period and some new names will emerge for the last couple spots.

What are you doing posting on here at 3:43 AM? Go to bed.
Old age

Iowa will take 20 kids at least like they do every year. They have 10 commits so far. Who are the other ten that are so high-priority that they didn't have room for Brock and or Tracy?

Iowa will take 20 kids at least like they do every year. They have 10 commits so far. Who are the other ten that are so high-priority that they didn't have room for Brock and or Tracy?
As of right now, all 85 scholarships are accounted for next year with the 10 commits in this class. Getting to 20 is probably a stretch this year. Assuming a walk-on or two get rewarded with a scholly and 5-7 kids leave the program like usual, a smaller class of 15-17 is likely this year. 6 uncommitted recruits were invited to the big recruiting weekend this weekend. The math is pretty simple.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT