ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP...Vince McMahon, XFL founder, to officially announce new football league

Hawkeyenuts66

HB Heisman
Oct 11, 2013
Big week for WWE CEO Vince McMahon. On Monday he took a “Stone Cold Stunner” on “WWE Raw,” then on Thursday he’ll announce he’s starting a new football league. We’ll see which moment ends up being more absurd.

McMahon tried football in 2001 with the XFL, and it bombed hard. He’ll try again, as he starts a new football league. The announcement was going to be officially made at 3 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, but a report from ESPN’s Darren Rovell confirmed McMahon will announce a new football league. That news has been long awaited since he set up an Alpha Entertainment LLC, and sold about $100 million in WWE stock to fund it.

The league has an eye on starting in 2020, which was first reported by PWInsider. Perhaps having a couple years of true preparation for the launch is a sign McMahon wants to do it right this time.

The XFL had some innovative ideas. The use of the SkyCam eventually took hold in the NFL, and this season the league used it as the primary camera angle for a couple games. The XFL also suffered from poor football, and delved into nonsensical WWE-style storylines to try to save dying ratings. It didn’t work.

It would make sense for a second professional football league to emerge. While McMahon might be looking to take on the NFL, which is a mistake, NFL football has an audience that dwarfs every other sport and a second league would only need a fraction of that audience to thrive. The most-viewed show on all of television over the past 11 months was the New England Patriots-Jacksonville Jaguars AFC championship game last week. That was the largest audience for any show on television since … last season’s Super Bowl. Despite the hysteria about a ratings decline, the NFL still gets the type of ratings other sports dream about. So it makes sense that a second league, done right, would work. But it hasn’t happened yet.

The USFL failed in the 1980s for many reasons, but the death blow was when the league — pushed by then-New Jersey Generals owner Donald Trump — thought it would be best to move from the spring to the fall and compete with the NFL. The XFL failed miserably in 2001. NFL Europe lasted much longer than you remember, but that never gained an audience either. Still, it stands to reason that when a conference championship game like Jaguars-Patriots can draw a 27.3 rating, there’s room for more football in our lives.

We’ll see if McMahon is the right man for the job. The WWE has been wildly successful for more than three decades. He struck out in his attempt to get a piece of the football pie years ago, but maybe he can learn from those failures.

Bring back the cheerleaders!!!
blog_xfl_cheerleaders_demons.jpg

The beginning of the end of NCAA football (as we know it) and the beginning of a minor league system for the NFL?

Football isn't meant to be in the Spring. It will never get a large audience. This will fail again.

People want baseball in the Spring. It's not until July and most fans realize their baseball team sucks do people start gearing up for football season.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It's going to be tough to get fans to watch games led by players they've never heard of ... I'm all for competition but this will be a difficult task. If they try to find their own niche they may have some luck ... but if they try to compare/compete to/with the NFL ... forget it ...

1. Would need fan support. Thus would have to start teams in cities with no NFL teams.

2. Franchises would try to leave these cities for much bigger cities if the league gains enough popularity. The only reason there’s still a NFL team in a place like Green Bay is because it developed in an era where money didn’t matter as much. Nobody would dare move the team now because it built a tradition there.

3. Why should I then support a team when I have multiple college teams around me to support and I know that those colleges are going nowhere?

1. Trump will help tout this league.

2. Not sure what Vince is thinking trying this again.

3. My guess is this "league" will be a vehicle for money laundering.

He could sell to Trumpkin that he is going to force everyone to stand for the anthem. And gain ratings that why along with his viewship from wwe. Thats all i can really think of though.

Reactions: unIowa
Arena football went out with in-line skates and walkmans... if that and every other minor/indoor/foreign football league folded, their may be enough talent around to put out a quality product. Either that or set up a promotion/relegation system from the NFL (not really). Then they might have a chance.

But it will be some grandstanding about the national anthem. New gimmick rules he's been cooking up for 15 years, and maybe somewhat smaller markets if he's smart... the media in N.Y., LA and Chicago frankly do not care. Some pro-offense rules might buy them a week, like CFL style running starts to the line for WRs. Then within a couple weeks, max, people will remember that they're watching minor league football on TV.

I bet a large pile of money, that at today's Press Conference Vince will say that players will be required to stand for the Anthem.

Honestly if I was him I would try to sell it to conservatives with that and eliminating rules against targeting and the like.

The beginning of the end of NCAA football (as we know it) and the beginning of a minor league system for the NFL?

I doubt it highly.

Although Vince could try and help himself by basically telling athletes that they could come play in the XFL right out of high school.

It would be nice if nfl teams could assign QBs to play on this league.

A guy like Bridgewater could use live game reps.

....what if we call it.....the MFL!!!

And, it's an all-little-person league!
7 on 7 midget football! That'd sell.

Reactions: unIowa
Honestly if I was him I would try to sell it to conservatives with that and eliminating rules against targeting and the like.

I doubt it highly.

Although Vince could try and help himself by basically telling athletes that they could come play in the XFL right out of high school.

He's pretty big into concussion safety. Has given large sums of money for concussion research. The WWE Wellness Policy is pretty good in those regards,

QC is bringing back an arena league team this year. You can get some QC pizza at Bad Boyz, then walk over to watch some arena ball

It would be nice if nfl teams could assign QBs to play on this league.

A guy like Bridgewater could use live game reps.

I think football is a sport with just too high of an injury rate for that sort of thing to occur.

I mean how many players opt out of the pro-bowl for fear of injury? And the pro bowl is the softest hitting game you've ever seen. Pop Warner kids probably hit harder then NFL players at the pro-bowl.

It's success will be decided by TV, pure and simple. When NBC pulled the plug, it died.

Cities are a toughie. Gotta have at least a viable stadium with good facilities and enough of a market to at least fill enough seats to keep the lights on so to speak. Outside investors with seed money surely will help. That's what always kills start-up leagues. Having enough cash to burn to keep the lights running until they can build their brand enough to live on the product's revenue alone.

There's probably places like Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, San Antonio, St. Louis, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisville, Virginia, South Carolina, hell who knows even Iowa - that will at least have their tires kicked with this.

QC is bringing back an arena league team this year. You can get some QC pizza at Bad Boyz, then walk over to watch some arena ball

I'd like to see the 11 team CIF (QC, sioux city, Omaha teams) combine with the 8 team IFL (Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Sioux Falls) and actually have a legit full league. The games are fun, it's something to do on a Saturday night, and it fairly affordable for families. No, it's not the NFL, but I'm not expecting that.

Don't forget, he has the INTERNET now.

He literally has a TV network to put this on and stream it worldwide. He no longer needs a network. So, can you dupe a bunch of republican, whisky tango, window lickers into buying this? probably not enough to support a league for long but you might make it work for a while.

So players, fans, cities, and TV networks weren’t screwed over enough last time?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT