ADVERTISEMENT

Siebrecht a Hawk

When did being a room guy become so negative?

+1. I have never understood why people see it as an insult of some sort.

To be honest, I don't think you know either way. Sure, you can play the percentages and are probably right but I do see some upside with this kid. He is a #16 kind of guy and is growing and making gains. Majored Wyatt Henson this year. Last year around this time, Reeves was ranked 18...all of a sudden he is #1. I'm not saying to pretend that every guy that signs with Iowa is going to be an AA or see the lineup. However, some guys you know (either way) and there are some guys we are not sure...I think this is the case with him.

It probably doesn't change your point but absolutely no one other than Intermat actually thinks Reeves is the #1 120 pounder in the country.

Reactions: Ihawkd9times
Wish the young man well, hope he doesn't tune into all the negativity on this board from those who don't have him shoed in as a sure thing AA right out of the gates.

Reactions: Fan In Black
He’s a tough kid and comes from a good family. Big Hawkeye Wrestling fans. I don’t think you’ll ever see anything but his best effort when he’s on the mat. I would expect him to keep improving in the Iowa room and could definitely see him having success.

It probably doesn't change your point but absolutely no one other than Intermat actually thinks Reeves is the #1 120 pounder in the country.
Well he’s ranked at 126# for starters... but yeah you’re right, Flo ONLY has him at #2..
he’s not very good. Hawks are better off with the 16 and 18 ranked type kids

Thanks for posting the link!

What I observed from this--albeit only one--match (and presumably against a quality opponent) is that 1) He uses his length well; 2) The dude can ride like a beast; 3) He moves quickly when he gains an advantage; 4) He seems pretty creative at getting out of single leg attacks against him.

Given that he seems to be making great strides as he gets older, I'm really looking forward to his joining the team and improving with that great Hawkeye training!

Thanks for posting the link!

What I observed from this--albeit only one--match (and presumably against a quality opponent) is that 1) He uses his length well; 2) The dude can ride like a beast; 3) He moves quickly when he gains an advantage; 4) He seems pretty creative at getting out of single leg attacks against him.

Given that he seems to be making great strides as he gets older, I'm really looking forward to his joining the team and improving with that great Hawkeye training!

He is also one of those kids who started really light and made big weight jumps and is still filling into his frame. 106 to 126 then to 138. Those kids seem have good quickness and scrambling ability.

I can’t speak for all, just myself... but in the spirit of a comment originally made and reiterated by “Tarp”.

I am paraphrasing, but for Iowa to compete with Penn State, they (Iowa) have to get top 10 pound for pound recruits not top 20 at a weight class.

In recent times, Penn State room guy recruit have been top 10-20 pound for pound kids.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for those kids that stick it out for one year let alone 5 years in that or any other D1 room.

He may turn out to be a great college wrestler and do very well. The point still stands, it seems for every Cobe Seibrect Iowa gets Penn State gets a Robert Howard.

I can’t speak for all, just myself... but in the spirit of a comment originally made and reiterated by “Tarp”.

I am paraphrasing, but for Iowa to compete with Penn State, they (Iowa) have to get top 10 pound for pound recruits not top 20 at a weight class.

In recent times, Penn State room guy recruit have been top 10-20 pound for pound kids.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for those kids that stick it out for one year let alone 5 years in that or any other D1 room.

He may turn out to be a great college wrestler and do very well. The point still stands, it seems for every Cobe Seibrect Iowa gets Penn State gets a Robert Howard.

You realize this kid is essentially walking on, right?

Awesome and kudos to this kid. Not many high school athletes have the opportunity and talent to join one of the nation's elite wrestling programs. When you consider the number of wrestlers in this country ... and how many of those athletes who are good enough to compete in a room such as Iowa's ... well, that's a pretty small circle and a pretty elite group of athletes.

Look forward to seeing you in black and gold. Iron sharpens iron in the room. Push all those around you with the purpose of pushing past them and into the lineup.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
You realize this kid is essentially walking on, right?

Exactly and that means the staff view him as a room guy with potential. I didn't say I didn't like the kid. Frankly I'm happy this kid has some length and quickness because that stuff translates so he is the perfect room guy and lets see where he is in 2 years.

But again what wrong with stating the obvious. He is a room guy. So is Teske at PSU at this point. Yes he is until he starts and becomes an AA. Otherwise up to this point he is a low cost project that hopefully exceeds expectations rather than end up transferring to Wartburg, Coe or Grandview in 2 years.

Sorry if I am being completely honest about 90% of these types of commitments. I was also excited about Lance Evans and Rathbun but I don't think it makes anyone an ass to say how it is and how hard it is to crack an elite wrestling lineup let alone all American.

I swear some of yo lay awake at night trying to protect feeling and invent new ways to give participation ribbons so you feel better about yourself.

I didn't knock this kid one time. Nothing but respect for room guys who give it all knowing the may never see an ounce of spotlight in 4-5 years. I honestly couldn't do it. Id rather transfer and be a bigger fish in a small pond.

Now if you want to have a debate on what level of talent we need for backups. That could get interesting.

Reactions: 24 so far
Well he’s ranked at 126# for starters... but yeah you’re right, Flo ONLY has him at #2..
Tell me exactly where you see Reeves fitting into the Iowa lineup? Is he better than Ybarra? is he better then Schreiver? At best those are tossups. I'll take the guys going to Iowa.

Reactions: Ohio_Hawk
All that really matters is how Cobe views himself. I am sure he has as much confidence as the next guy.

The annals of sport are rife with athletes deemed too slow, too small, too <insert shortcoming here> who went on to outstanding careers. There are also countless "can't miss guys" who went on too have disappointing careers. I would say more of the latter.

It sounds like Cobe's lifelong goal was to be a Hawk. Mission accomplished. What happens here on out is up to him. May his hard work payoff and may good fortune come his way.

All that really matters is how Cobe views himself. I am sure he has as much confidence as the next guy.

The annals of sport are rife with athletes deemed too slow, too small, too <insert shortcoming here> who went on to outstanding careers. There are also countless "can't miss guys" who went on too have disappointing careers. I would say more of the latter.

It sounds like Cobe's lifelong goal was to be a Hawk. Mission accomplished. What happens here on out is up to him. May his hard work payoff and may good fortune come his way.
Very well said! Cheers!

Yes he is better than Ybarra and Schreiver. He is best wrestler in state. He would fit in Iowa line up perfect.

Tell me exactly where you see Reeves fitting into the Iowa lineup? Is he better than Ybarra? is he better then Schreiver? At best those are tossups. I'll take the guys going to Iowa.

Reactions: Chopper25
Yes he is better than Ybarra and Schreiver. He is best wrestler in state. He would fit in Iowa line up perfect.

No
Pack on some size an take the mean up a notch or 2 an he could be something else. I Like watching him wrestle against better competition because you can see his brain work. Personally i see ISU a better fit w DSJ an Brent

Last edited:

He better be better than Schriever at this point. Hard to tell with Ybarra but both are a class behind as well so same time next year and not a ton of difference. He does not fit perfectly into the Iowa lineup though unless he was ok sitting behind Lee for a year.

Oooooo you got me on the weight. Good job. That said, no one actually believes he's at top 2 126 pounder in the country. He's being rewarded for not wrestling a schedule that measures up to the others ranked at his weight.

Your last sentence is an absolute straw man. Irrelevant. I'd be pleased to have Reeves at Iowa.

Don’t have a problem with any of our guys, personally I think he is s better wrestler than the other 2 right now. Definitely could change in future. Think he has a better chance to be 125 lber all 4 years of college. Not sure on the other 2. Think when Spencer leaves he would fill that spot nicely.

Will see about that down the road.

Reactions: HIWILLE and MSeil
This thread is weird. Im not a huge follower of Iowa high school wrestling so when I heard the news I was wondering if he was a room guy or a huge recruit. Honest question really. So someone asked it and someone answered and everyone jumped all over him. If we cant get honest insight on recruits here, then where can we get it?

Being told you are "a room guy" is similar to being told you're a "good entry level" employee. It basically says you're average and limited with your future. I would choose to use that term after the fact rather than before he even starts his career at Iowa.

Being told you are "a room guy" is similar to being told you're a "good entry level" employee. It basically says you're average and limited with your future. I would choose to use that term after the fact rather than before he even starts his career at Iowa.
It doesn't basically "say" that at all. That's your individual viewpoint of it.

Regardless of current status, his future is up to him, and all of the periphery circumstances that come with that. Just like real life, and any occupation.

Nice pickup to supplement some of the high p4p ranked kids. Get on a first name basis with the Carver janitors rather than the ped mall bouncers. That will serve you well in your quest to being a national champion. Nothing good happens after midnight.

Tanner Sloan was as lightly recruited as can be, and just tech falled our top 10 p4p recruit. Wrestling is the one sport you rarely have a right to complain about pt.Good luck and go out and earn it kid.

It doesn't basically "say" that at all. That's your individual viewpoint of it.

Regardless of current status, his future is up to him, and all of the periphery circumstances that come with that. Just like real life, and any occupation.
Pretty much what I said. I wasn't saying anything negative against the kid at all - My point is labeling anyone before he has the chance to prove anything is inappropriate.

No. You're the one putting that limit on them--be it a wrestler or your hypothetical employee simile. What it says is that what you have earned based on your career performance so far doesn't meet up with the pedigree of an NCAA champion. No where does it say you can't or won't be an NCAA champion. There's no shame in having to work your way up from the bottom of Iowa's depth chart or the mail room at a major company. It's a badge of honor, not the negative thing you perceive it as being.

There are guys in the Iowa wrestling room that never placed in high school. Would you think it is inappropriate to call them a "room guy" or are you thinking they are the next Cael Sanderson?

just a room guy, there is no way to frame that as a positive.

Yeah. Nothing positive to say about an otherwise unaccomplished wrestler who has the sack to hang in the Iowa room. No positive at all. I respect room guy Perez Perez more than just about anyone else at Iowa. Right up there with Bull and Spencer.

No positives there at all. o_O

No. You're the one putting that limit on them--be it a wrestler or your hypothetical employee simile. What it says is that what you have earned based on your career performance so far doesn't meet up with the pedigree of an NCAA champion. No where does it say you can't or won't be an NCAA champion. There's no shame in having to work your way up from the bottom of Iowa's depth chart or the mail room at a major company. It's a badge of honor, not the negative thing you perceive it as being.

There are guys in the Iowa wrestling room that never placed in high school. Would you think it is inappropriate to call them a "room guy" or are you thinking they are the next Cael Sanderson?
You think I'm putting a limit on anyone? For God sake read! I think it's incorrect to put a label on anyone until they have earned it. And if you think any person in that room, who has any aspirations at all, likes to be referred to as a "room guy", you are sadly mistaken.

You think I'm putting a limit on anyone? For God sake read! I think it's incorrect to put a label on anyone until they have earned it. And if you think any person in that room, who has any aspirations at all, likes to be referred to as a "room guy", you are sadly mistaken.

Your own definition is what was limiting. The rest of us see it as a badge of honor and in no way are we saying anything is impossible.

When the new kid with no college degree starts his first day in the mail room are you crying because people don't consider him the next CEO?

I don't know. Your confidence seems pretty high in Reeves' future, and as more cautious posters have noted, things change a lot in college. Still, I respect how much better the 'Clones are recruiting these days.

Love the Iowa elite wrestlers and Cobe will be fine ! Really hoping Ayala is looking at Iowa and vise versa!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT