ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day notes

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
Today is national signing day for college FB...used yo be a huge deal..now a yawned.

ESPN covered it so I checked it out.
Oregon and OSU were 3 or 4 in the country topping the BIG.
PSU#3( in the BIG)
Mich#4
USC#5
Neb#6
Wis
PU
Iowa#9. In an 18 team league Hawks still top half.
PU had 26 guys..our per player rating was higher but only 21 signees.
Neb had 31 signers..the largest class of top 50 schools.
ISU was 14th in big 12.
UCLA is 17th in BIG...kelly shopping himself has to hurt.
Wash is 14th in BIG.
NW dead last.

One note: Oregon grabbed 1 5 star and 2 4 Star wrs...wonder if Kasper is getting recruited over and will look around after spring ball?

Last edited:
Rivals had Iowa 9th in the Big and 32nd overall, Ne 4th in the Big and 16th overall. Washington 64th and Iowa St 52nd overall. Oregon continued to recruit well and UCLA struggled.

Last edited:
Today is national signing day for college FB...used yo be a huge deal..now a yawned.

PSU#3( in the BIG)
Mich#4
USC#5
Neb#6
Wis
PU
ISU was 14th in big 12.
Wash is 14th in BIG.
NW dead last.

One note: Oregon grabbed 1 5 star and 2 4 Star wrs...wonder if Kasper is getting recruited over and will look around after spring ball?
I’ll be shocked if Kasper isn’t in the portal after Spring. He’ll get transfer portaled over every year he’s there. He chose one of 4 or 5 schools with endless pockets that will recruit over you time and time again,

I saw that Mason Knipp signed with the Hawks yesterday. Not sure if he is a preferred walk-on, grey shirt or got a schollie. Probably an OL.

Reactions: iowaathletes
I’ll be shocked if Kasper isn’t in the portal after Spring. He’ll get transfer portaled over every year he’s there. He chose one of 4 or 5 schools with endless pockets that will recruit over you time and time again,
FWIW- Coach Woods is who the Kaspers and Epenesas trust more than ANYONE on the current staff.

Reactions: kkhawk
Now are you being tongue in cheek, a little sarcasm.

They certainly dont have 125 scholarships so what exactly is your real message?
right now they are about 10-12 over. Sign two more High School recruits yesterday. Now some of their transfers and HS recruits may be using NIL for tuition and other scholarship benefits.

FWIW- Coach Woods is who the Kaspers and Epenesas trust more than ANYONE on the current staff.
Who wouldn't want to play for coach Bell? He has been developing excellent D-linemen for awhile now. I have seen numerous pictures of Iose with coach Bell. Eppy has had nothing but positive comments about coach Bell. K. Bell needs to get a nice raise in my opinion.

Not sure what you are implying. That coach Woods will be moving on? I have heard his wife was not happy about the recent promotions. Coach Woods had one of the largest percentage raise last year. Making $700K+ is very good for a special teams coach. I don't think we'll ever see Kasper in the black and gold, fwiw.

PSU#3( in the BIG)
Mich#4
USC#5
Neb#6
Wis
PU
ISU was 14th in big 12.
Wash is 14th in BIG.
NW dead last.

Despite losing BF, I don’t think there is enough evidence of our offense to encourage a kid like Kasper to come here .

So Pat Fitzgerald's son Ryan has MAC offers. Is a QB. Had Iowa offered a walk on to him? I think the younger son who also visited Iowa this last fall is only like a freshman or sophomore in high school. It doesn't appear he is interested in the MAC schools. I was thinking he was a 2024 dude, but I see he is listed as class of 2025.

H.S. Athletic Background​

2023: Helped his team to a 14-0 record and second straight title. All-Conference selection and Conference Offensive Player of the Year. Had 2,690 yards and 34 total touchdowns.
----
Ryan Fitzgerald is a Quarterback from Wilmette, IL.

2024​

11762236.png

Feb 1, 2024: Offer​

Akron Zips offer Ryan Fitzgerald​

4649322.png

Jan 17, 2024: Offer​

Bowling Green Falcons offer Ryan Fitzgerald​

4649337.png

Northern Illinois Huskies offer Ryan Fitzgerald​

4682551.png

Toledo Rockets offer Ryan Fitzgerald​

2023​

11263534.png

Dec 13, 2023: Offer​

Kent State Golden Flashes offer Ryan Fitzgerald​

See all 5 entries

PSU#3( in the BIG)
Mich#4
USC#5
Neb#6
Wis
PU
ISU was 14th in big 12.
Wash is 14th in BIG.
NW dead last.

9/18 = worst of the best or best of the worst.

We have another year before we start seeing any movement from the Offensive recruits. If it is SSDD with Lester, then we continue to struggle with recruiting there. If we see some actual, visible change on the field (in a positive manner) then we may jump into the top half, not be the "half" mark.

Reactions: hawkeyemark18
Could be another diamond in the rough the Hawks signed late.
Once he adapts you may be right. He has some interesting potential. We will see where we are in 2 years, could use some brawlers at guard again. Hated for him to go elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT