ADVERTISEMENT

"Simple" key to "new" Iowa offense

A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

So reporters, and KF himself, say that keeping the offense "simple" is the goal now. Interesting, given that many of us have been asking for that exact thing since KF foolishly hired GD and his "make everything as complicated as possible" offensive genius five years ago. But I guess that's football . . .

When it takes players a season to learn a slant route, well, that's a problem since Pop Warner League kids learn that in about five minutes.

Over half a century ago a fella named Einstein said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible." I don't think Einstein ever coached much football, but "everything" seems to cover it. As usual, KF is late to the party. But we can hope it's better late than never.

Reactions: naturalmwa
So reporters, and KF himself, say that keeping the offense "simple" is the goal now. Interesting, given that many of us have been asking for that exact thing since KF foolishly hired GD and his "make everything as complicated as possible" offensive genius five years ago. But I guess that's football . . .

When it takes players a season to learn a slant route, well, that's a problem since Pop Warner League kids learn that in about five minutes.

Over half a century ago a fella named Einstein said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible." I don't think Einstein ever coached much football, but "everything" seems to cover it. As usual, KF is late to the party. But we can hope it's better late than never.
Gosh, did I NOT miss you!

"Simple" is the Offense they want now??.... if memory serves me correctly... Didn't people want Ken O'Keefe fired years ago because his Offense was too "simple" and predictable? Seems like we've come full circle...
I missed where KOK is calling the plays again?

5-the-big-lebowski-quotes.gif

9d65034c1b656bec09b5a95388232c4d.jpg

Reactions: nu2u
"Simple" is the Offense they want now??.... if memory serves me correctly... Didn't people want Ken O'Keefe fired years ago because his Offense was too "simple" and predictable? Seems like we've come full circle...
The people complaining about KOK's system were stupid. The people complaining about KOK's playcalling within that system sometimes had a point.

His system is a good fit for Iowa and our passing game has regressed a lot since he left, particularly with using TEs in the middle of the field.

I think it's more about having a new system with a young QB and not wanting to overwhelm him from the start. My best guess is that the coaching staff will add more as the season progresses and the palyers become more comfortable in the system.

Yep. From mediocre to horrible and back to mediocre again. It's simple.

It isn't as much a problem of a simple playbook is the play calling has been so predictable. By down and distance you can predict what Iowa will call 75% of the time. When Iowa had great lines like in 2002 or 2009 you can line up and telegraph things and say try and stop us. Other years not so much.

Iowa's talent allows about 8 wins a season through superior execution of a basic ball control offense. The problem comes in the other four to five games where the adversary's talent exceeds the Hawks.

The offense has to create more scoring opportunities. Those opportunities must come from surprise if the defensive players are better than the offensive players.

So the play calling might be more creative while the method of teaching numerous options uses more simplistic concepts. At least in theory.

Reactions: unclesammy
Football is always about execution. Talent s typically secondary see Michigan, and honestly Greg Davis coached for 40 years and was awesome at Texas despite what all those morons said, their morons are just like our morons they don't know anything....

Football is an exceedingly simple yet very complicated game it takes a lot to win a football game talent execution playcalling it's all a part of it...every team has a lot of predictability and if you don't believe it then you're not watching eniugh football..

Ps.... Iowa ran a lot of slant patterns (didn't catch a lot if them) and quite frankly I think they went way too unpredictable when predictable would've worked more often than not....

When you have a great run blocking o-line and you throw fades and screans and pitch wide that doesn't seem very predictable to me...

But hey whatever presuppositions you have just go with that!

By the way from now until eternity when Iowa loses it's going to be because they're too predictable and you want to hear a secret that's what other fan say about their teams to...it has to be literally the absolute stupidest laziest most inane argument I ever see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT