ADVERTISEMENT

So did Spencer get better because of the Oline?

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
WR play? Poorer competition?….or as I suspect all 3, plus getting sent to the bench!

For what it’s worth, I’m tired of talking to the usual suspects. We all know the competition is poorer, Spencer still isn’t an all American, and the Ferentz’ suck.

So with that out of the way…for two weeks now I’ve had it in my head that once he got benched. He pretty much lost all the pressure he had put on himself. He has been remarkably better since then….

I find myself thinking if he’d been benched four or five games earlier who knows…

And no I’m not bitching about the coaches, because you can consider me in the camp that I am super glad Padilla hasn’t been put back out on the field…

Since the fateful benching he has only thrown five or six Poor passes & by Poor, I mean they shouldn’t have been thrown. They were into triple coverage or hotly contested. But he hasn’t thrown any worm burners and he hasn’t grossly sailed something over peoples heads…

Thats 53 passes in two games and there hasn’t been one that I saw and went WTF?!

Looking back he would throw six or seven passes a game that had literally no chance to be caught and I’m not talking throw aways…Then wide receivers would drop five or six balls a game… Then the offensive line would flat whiff or go the wrong damn direction… Since all those other things have been semi-straightened out he has thrown some very very very good passes !

He even threw a scramble throwaway that looked a hell of a lot more “coordinated“ than they have in the past.

Much, much better…his feet, body language, release, eyes down field, look offs, progressions….all better.

I personally think the kid has major major anxiety issues, some thing I know a little bit about. Now he figures it is what it is, either I go out and relax and just play or I sit on the bench…and oh by the way the kid behind me isn’t any good either so it just as well be me….!

Thoughts….?

Last edited:
Reactions: natchrlman
It's not as complicated as everyone makes it out to be. All offenses go as the the o-line goes. Crappy o-line play and execution, crappy offense.

Agreed… certainly we had other problems but you are correct I don’t think most fans really watch close enough to see how bad they were…. I watched a couple games with my buddy Michael this fall and he made it painfully obvious to me re-watching games how bad it was and then even this week and last week there were just some really bad attempts by sometimes the whole entire line but definitely one or two that almost look like they went the wrong direction?!

WR play? Poorer competition?….or as I suspect all 3, plus getting sent to the bench!

For what it’s worth, I’m tired of talking to the usual suspects. We all know the competition is poorer, Spencer still isn’t an all American, and the Ferentz’ suck.

So with that out of the way…for two weeks now I’ve had it in my head that once he got benched. He pretty much lost all the pressure he had put on himself. He has been remarkably better since then….

I find myself thinking if he’d been benched four or five games earlier who knows…

And no I’m not bitching about the coaches, because you can consider me in the camp that I am super glad Padilla hasn’t been put back out on the field…

Since the fateful benching he has only thrown five or six Poor passes & by Poor, I mean they shouldn’t have been thrown. They were into triple coverage or hotly contested. But he hasn’t thrown any worm burners and he hasn’t grossly sailed something over peoples heads…

Thats 53 passes in two games and there hasn’t been one that I saw and went WTF?!

Looking back he would throw six or seven passes a game that had literally no chance to be caught and I’m not talking throw aways…Then wide receivers would drop five or six balls a game… Then the offensive line would flat whiff or go the wrong damn direction… Since all those other things have been semi-straightened out he has thrown some very very very good passes !

He even threw a scramble throwaway that looked a hell of a lot more “coordinated“ than they have in the past.

Much, much better…his feet, body language, release, eyes down field, look offs, progressions….all better.

I personally think the kid has major major anxiety issues, some thing I know a little bit about. Now he figures it is what it is, either I go out and relax and just play or I sit on the bench…and oh by the way the kid behind me isn’t any good either so it just as well be me….!

Thoughts….?
Sorry, but I don't think the benching helped him as much as getting to play teams that the offense can compete with.

Another second to throw and an open receiver can do wonders for results and confidence.

It's easy to see now why KF kept trotting him out there. In practice he faced the second team Iowa defense, which is probably similar to the Purdue and NW starters. He's in his comfort zone.

Yes, you bet he had some "anxiety issues" playing some of those defenses. He brought a knife to a gun fight. Now it's a fair fight.

Good to see him having some success.

Thoughts….?
All of these things can be true at the same time and most likely are.

Sorry, but I don't think the benching helped him as much as getting to play teams that the offense can compete with.

Another second to throw and an open receiver can do wonders for results and confidence.

It's easy to see now why KF kept trotting him out there. In practice he faced the second team Iowa defense, which is probably similar to the Purdue and NW starters. He's in his comfort zone.

Yes, you bet he had some "anxiety issues" playing some of those defenses. He brought a knife to a gun fight. Now it's a fair fight.

lol that’s good stuff brother. I do contend that he is playing a little bit more loose, but your reasoning is most likely the number one reason why.

LOL…Knife to a gun fight, you are correct in fact there were times when it looked like he might’ve had a spear and they had howitzers lol.

These are the kind of fun dialogues that has keep me coming back over the last 20 years. Buthave to tell you the anger and hostility has become overwhelming in the last few years!

It's not as complicated as everyone makes it out to be. All offenses go as the the o-line goes. Crappy o-line play and execution, crappy offense.
Yes. Also he knew what was being said and written about him. Maybe he started to feel the comments and they affected his mental state and he was trying too hard. That is a tough load to bear for anyone.

I for one hopes he comes back next year.

Yes. Also he knew what was being said and written about him. Maybe he started to feel the comments and they affected his mental state and he was trying too hard. That is a tough load to bear for anyone.

I can't go that far. I hope that Iowa wins out, and that both Brian Ferentz and Spencer Petras are with different teams next year. We know the ceiling for both men.

Weelllllll…. Count me in the camp that wouldn’t mind seeing somebody with a little bit more allusiveness?!

I can't go that far. I hope that Iowa wins out, and that both Brian Ferentz and Spencer Petras are with different teams next year. We know the ceiling for both men.

As you can see my post at about the same time you posted was in agreement with your premise… But man do I hate that comment.

“We know those two men s ceilings”…it’s honestly shitty in fact it’s such a shitty comment we should all be so unfortunate to one day find out people have been saying that about you and me behind our backs. I promise you, it’ll make you think different and treat people differently!

Not to mention it’s really just not true… a 22 year old man and what a 38 year old and we know their ceilings… ?!

It’s also super self limiting on your end… It means you’re basically disregarding people after a point in time because you’ve already decided you know who they are, what they are, what they're capable off and how high they can go!

If you rewatch the game, you can still see pretras still telegraphing his throws. A good D would have ate him up. Same thing with the line. A good D line would hurt them. The O line is still learning

As you can see my post at about the same time you posted was in agreement with your premise… But man do I hate that comment.

“We know those two men s ceilings”…it’s honestly shitty in fact it’s such a shitty comment we should all be so unfortunate to one day find out people have been saying that about you and me behind our backs. I promise you, it’ll make you think different and treat people differently!

Not to mention it’s really just not true… a 22 year old man and what a 38 year old and we know their ceilings… ?!

It’s also super self limiting on your end… It means you’re basically disregarding people after a point in time because you’ve already decided you know who they are, what they are, what they're capable off and how high they can go!
Statistics are how you point to their ceilings. Petras is a 3rd year starter and has yet to earn a 120 passer rating average over a season (I miss Stanley). Brian is a part of a lawsuit that drug the school through mud, has coached a bottom 10% offense each of the last 2 years. I was happy when he was hired, and I was dead wrong. Once again, I am all for Iowa's offense going off the rest of the season, but I will be happy to see both of those guys walk away from the program with their heads held high.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
If you rewatch the game, you can still see pretras still telegraphing his throws. A good D would have ate him up. Same thing with the line. A good D line would hurt them. The O line is still learning

I expect you’re probably right, with that said, on the touchdown throw to Laporta and it could’ve been Ragini but one or the other he looked into the flat took his time came back to the middle and threw a dart!

Statistics are how you point to their ceilings. Petras is a 3rd year starter and has yet to earn a 120 passer rating average over a season (I miss Stanley). Brian is a part of a lawsuit that drug the school through mud, has coached a bottom 10% offense each of the last 2 years. I was happy when he was hired, and I was dead wrong. Once again, I am all for Iowa's offense going off the rest of the season, but I will be happy to see both of those guys walk away from the program with their heads held high.

oh I’m sorry you caught me… I’m not smart enough to know what a ceiling is and/or what you would use to derive it…

What do you think has there ever been a case with somebody like Spencer Petras or Brian Ferentz, who learned from the past mistakes and did better?

Meh….probably not!

its something that papered over the flaws in the offensive scheme imo - to a great extent, when the offense executes well, they can beat most defenses. these last two years we saw what happens in a bad scheme when balls get dropped, blocks get missed, etc.

the scheme simply allows for too small a margin for error and needs to change for that reason. At this point I don’t have the confidence that Brian can or will tell his dad that stuff has to change that he’s been doing all his life.

Reactions: unclesammy
oh I’m sorry you caught me… I’m not smart enough to know what a ceiling is and/or what you would use to derive it…

What do you think has there ever been a case with somebody like Spencer Petras or Brian Ferentz, who learned from the past mistakes and did better?

Meh….probably not!
This is exactly what I am talking about. You would be discussing the anomaly.

Okay. One explanation about my "ceiling" comment. There was a time when Kyle Shanahan was viewed as someone who got a coordinator position (for his dad), only because he was Mike Shanahan's son. He has since proved that he was worthy of an NFL head coaching job. But he did not prove it by working for his dad.

Brian has a ceiling at Iowa, working for his dad. If he is going to exceed it, he will have to prove himself in some other setting.

This is exactly what I am talking about. You would be discussing the anomaly.

Oh really lol do you know what Bill Belichick’s record was at Cleveland…? Please look it up before you respond to me because I am going to revel in you scrambling to explain it away?

Oh really lol do you know what Bill Belichick’s record was at Cleveland…? Please look it up before you respond to me because I am going to revel in you scrambling to explain it away?
What does this have to do with Spencer's ceiling as a QB. Are you going to go the Kurt Warner route with that argument?

Okay. One explanation about my "ceiling" comment. There was a time when Kyle Shanahan was viewed as someone who got a coordinator position (for his dad), only because he was Mike Shanahan's son. He has since proved that he was worthy of an NFL head coaching job. But he did not prove it by working for his dad.

Brian has a ceiling at Iowa, working for his dad. If he is going to exceed it, he will have to prove himself in some other setting.

Touché and I am super, super impressed with you… I apologize if I came off like a dick I may have, I certainly didn’t mean it, I don’t really remember your posting history so for all I know you probably are somebody I generally like…

But see that’s how you win a debate you readdress you don’t double down we got a whole shit ton of people in here that just like to ****ing double down..,in fact watch closely I think it’s about to happen soon!

What does this have to do with Spencer's ceiling as a QB. Are you going to go the Kurt Warner route with that argument?

Ohhhh nice bail out, kudos. The point is that anomaly you’re talking about happens a lot more than you care to admit!

Ohhhh nice bail out, kudos. The point is that anomaly you’re talking about happens a lot more than you care to admit!
Just answer this, which is more likely. Brian goes on to be a good/great OL coach in the NFL. Or he rebounds "learns from his mistakes" and becomes one of the greatest head coaches of all time (well unless you realize that he's just ok without Brady). Also, is Spencer the next Warner, or will he be the next Brady and get drafted in the late rounds?

Kirk mentioned SP has been working with a sports pyschologist. Maybe that is paying off, too.
That’s certainly going to help.

I’d rank the reasons for improvement this way:
1. Better O-line play
2. Lesser competition
3. WRs getting healthier

I don’t really buy the “benching” as a big factor. This isn’t a situation where a guy needed a wakeup call or needed motivation to work harder. I fully believe that Spencer has been busting his ass the whole time because I think that’s just who he is. Maybe the benching gave him a mental break and allowed him to watch things in a different way, but I don’t think the benching was much of a factor.

Thoughts….?
Answer to your question..YES!
1. Better OL play...moving Colby inside, getting Plumb at RT.
2. Pass pro at times has been excellent past two games
3. Weaker defensive teams NOT in Top 15. I think 5/6 first opponents were in Top 15 in overall D or something to that effect
4. WR talent healthy + 2 healthy TE's gives SP and Brian lots of options
5. Emergence of KJ at RB, play action working better
6. See #1....perhaps Kirk and staff weren't 100% wrong.
7. I still want a full examination in off season of Offense, hit portal at OL perhaps and WR and stay ahead of where you are. Proctor goes to RT, keep the other best 4 which is most likely what you saw Saturday and Oline is set with Davidkov and Britt as potential wildcards along with Dunker.

lol that’s good stuff brother. I do contend that he is playing a little bit more loose, but your reasoning is most likely the number one reason why.

LOL…Knife to a gun fight, you are correct in fact there were times when it looked like he might’ve had a spear and they had howitzers lol.

These are the kind of fun dialogues that has keep me coming back over the last 20 years. Buthave to tell you the anger and hostility has become overwhelming in the last few years!
Indeed. I love talking Iowa Football, but find it pretty absurd to see people vent so much anger when the Hawks don't put up a W.

Spear and a howitzer - I like that. ;)

Reactions: cmhawks99

Hey now, that's a shot at the second team D😉

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I think the real question is, did the oline improve or is it that we are playing lower ranked defenses? I’m not sure. The only way to tell would be to matchup with Ohio State or Michigan again in the title game. I do think Wisconsin will be a big indicator though. They’ll bring some pressure.

I think the real question is, did the oline improve or is it that we are playing lower ranked defenses? I’m not sure. The only way to tell would be to matchup with Ohio State or Michigan again in the title game. I do think Wisconsin will be a big indicator though. They’ll bring some pressure.

Yes they will…defensively they still have more talent than anyone else we have left to play. Minnesota is better and has been better than many Hawkeye fans like to pretend, but….. they do not have quite as much talent as Iowa or Wisconsin and in fact I think they’re extraordinarily coached and I know everyone on here loves to hate PJ Fleck…

But they do not have as much talent as Iowa and Wisconsin especially on defense and that is certainly true this year!! That doesn’t mean they can’t win, my point is Wisconsin is a bear, and I feel pretty good about it but still…

Nebraska on the other hand, in spite of the recruiting rankings over the years. Do not have a ton of talent on defense and they are very undisciplined still….

Point is this… Michigan had better talent on offense & similar defensive talent. Ohio State had way better talent on offense and still similar defensive talent. We don’t have to take a backseat to anybody on defense but again this offense is a work in progress.

The teams we have left are similar to us except Nebraska, who I’m not sure what the hell they are…??

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life247

Thoughts….?
In answer to your headline question, YES. With the maturing of the offense linemen the run games has improved as has the passing game.

While I wholeheartedly agree it all starts up front, let’s not anoint SP as Tom Brady. He still has terrible footwork, very limited athleticism, no pocket presence, and still hasn’t figured out how to throw an out without sailing the ball ten yards over his WR’s head….Granted he’s looked a little better against bad defenses but that has coincided with a run game that is ahead of the chains. Let’s see if they can keep it going Saturday .

Thoughts….?
Considering Petra was able to stand there and go through his reads would seem to say that the line progressed

While I wholeheartedly agree it all starts up front, let’s not anoint SP as Tom Brady. He still has terrible footwork, very limited athleticism, no pocket presence, and still hasn’t figured out how to throw an out without sailing the ball ten yards over his WR’s head….Granted he’s looked a little better against bad defenses but that has coincided with a run game that is ahead of the chains. Let’s see if they can keep it going Saturday .

Hang on a second….I feel like we have wholeheartedly fleshed out SPs weaknesses but thanks for going through them again.

With that said he didn’t sail pretty much any passes the last 2 games (nor worm burners) and threw some great balls to the edge.

1. OL has been more effective, it's probably yet to be seen whether that's improvement or opponent. Spencer is looking more comfortable & confident in the pocket lately (please just don't make him throw while rolling to the left). I mean, for several games 80% of his targets were to LaPorta, now he is spreading the ball around.
2. WRs getting healthy. Makes for more targets and maybe more importantly put Bruce back into his natural position in the slot, resulting in more jet action which while those haven't been overly successful I think it has helped the run game.
3. The emergence of KJ at RB.

Where in my post did I anoint SP anything? Don't use my post to push your anti Petras agenda. Everything you just stated had nothing to do with my post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT