ADVERTISEMENT

So.. Should Coop have stayed?

Should Coop have stayed?

• Yes

Votes: 142 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 110 43.7%

• Total voters
No, he made the right move. The risk of injury/stat drop-off is too high to stay.

I think late first/early second round was always gonna be the ceiling for him. See: Sehorn, Jason; 1994 NFL Draft, 2nd Round, 59th Overall.

He'll probably go off the board early tomorrow.

If he falls to late third round or lower pick, then I'll change my opinion.

Coop didn't get drafted in the first primarily because 23 of the players drafted were on offense. Only 3 DB's were taken and 2 of them were rated higher than Coop. The 4th rated DB was the last pick in the round. He'll go early in the second and still end up with a contract approaching 10 million. What he makes beyond that is up to him.

Last edited:
Always good to see the Hawk fans with their black and gold glasses on. Coop made the right choice. He will go very early in the 2nd. There is no guarantee anything changes with another year, see Des King.
But you have to factor in that he was reportedly very torn about going and wanted to stick around another year and be a hawk...imo it would have been worth the risk. He could have had an all time year and with what appears to be a weaker draft class next year he could have gone much earlier. Not to mention that he would still have nil if he had stayed here and probably would have gotten a decent chunk of change. I'm really bummed it worked out the way it did

It sucks he's not one of the first 32 players selected but he's still gonna be a rich multi-millionaire the moment he signs his contract. And he's going to be a year further along to his next NFL contract.

The money we're talking about as a player slides in the Draft:

The #18 pick in last year's draft was Jack Campbell.

Jack signed a 4 year, FULLY GUARANTEED $14,722,004 contract with the Detroit Lions, including a $7,706,912 signing bonus.

Cash Earnings the first 2 years:
2023: $8,456,912
2024: $1,419,183

The #25 pick in last year's draft was Deonte Banks, a CB out of Maryland.

Deonte Banks signed a 4 year, FULLY GUARANTEED $13,579,395 contract with the NY Giants, including a $6,875,924 signing bonus.

2023: $7,625,924
2024: $1,367,245

The #32 pick
in last year's draft was Felix Anudike-Uzomah, a DE out of Kansas State.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah signed a 4 year, FULLY GUARANTEED $11,817,817 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $5,594,776 signing bonus.

2023: $6,344,776
2024: $1,287,173

The hard part is, I think he and Hock were the most torn about going pro. You like to think that it was almost a lock to be in the first round. Got some bad advice.
It's the people that want to see Iowa fail.

Tell our fringe draft guys, "Go pro, you got this!"........and they end up going lower, bad NFL team, etc etc.

Meanwhile we get f***ed out of a potential star player returning for one more year, which isn't as big of a risk now with NIL........

Maybe DUI Felon ,@Chishawk1425 would like to respond... Cooper wasn't drafted in the 1st round because he is a white kid with amazing athletic ability. I wish he would have came back but pussy lib losers like you get it... you made it this way, Republicans wearing an Iowa uniform...here's some news to you psycho... Kirk Ferentz is republican and has donated to them, now go practice hanging yourself when TRUMP wins again!!!

Maybe DUI Felon ,@Chishawk1425 would like to respond... Cooper wasn't drafted in the 1st round because he is a white kid with amazing athletic ability. I wish he would have came back but pussy lib losers like you get it... you made it this way, Republicans wearing an Iowa uniform...here's some news to you psycho... Kirk Ferentz is republican and has donated to them, now go practice hanging yourself when TRUMP wins again!!!
You are a douchebag

If he would’ve stayed healthy all year, I think he would’ve been picked in the first.

Not being able to work out until late hurt him. Also never trust the Iowa media on their predictions for when Hawkeyes get drafted.

The feedback he got from the NFL said he'd be a 1st round pick. So, based on the available information, Cooper made the right decision. After all, everyone says "if you are a projected 1st rounder, it's a no brainer; you declare for the NFL Draft." All of the draft experts had him going in the 1st round as well.

TWO WEEKS after being medically cleared, 25 NFL teams were present at his Pro Day in Iowa City. In the last 37 years, Cooper ranks in the TOP 1.1% of ALL CORNERBACKS tested (he is #28 out of 2,469 CORNERBACKS). He posted the best RAS (relative athletic score) for a CB prospect in the 2024 NFL Draft class.

Why NFL GMs made the decision 32 times not to pick him last night is a head scratcher.

Some of you guys are pretty funny. Not a chance he would have been a top ten pick next year if he would have come back.
He’s a white cornerback. He could turn out to be great but can you imagine if he fails and you were the GM that drafted a white cornerback in the first round.
Plus those GM’s need to be reaching for the next great QB, which is crazy in my mind.
Atlanta totally wasted their first round pick. Even if pennix does do a decent job, he’ll be like 28 when cousins contract is up.

Last edited:
The feedback he got from the NFL said he'd be a 1st round pick. So, based on the available information, Cooper made the right decision. After all, everyone says "if you are a projected 1st rounder, it's a no brainer; you declare for the NFL Draft." All of the draft experts had him going in the 1st round as well.

TWO WEEKS after being medically cleared, 25 NFL teams were present at his Pro Day in Iowa City. In the last 37 years, Cooper ranks in the TOP 1.1% of ALL CORNERBACKS tested (he is #28 out of 2,469 CORNERBACKS). He posted the best RAS (relative athletic score) for a CB prospect in the 2024 NFL Draft class.

Why NFL GMs made the decision 32 times not to pick him last night is a head scratcher.

Unfortunately, he didn’t get the feedback that this is the 1970’s version of quarterback for white cornerbacks.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Fell to at least round 2.
I’m too close to the flame. Reasons he should have stayed are I wanted him to play for the hawks one more year, he could have dispelled any concerns about his leg, he could have taken snaps on offense, and perhaps, no matter what, NFL GMs never viewed him as a cornerback prospect, so he just should have done what made him happy. Reasons he made the right decision is that perhaps NFL GMs never viewed him as a cornerback prospect and he was never going to be a first rounder, but he has one extra year of making NFL money. I hate to say it but with so many mock draft analysts going out of their way to say he can play cornerback, when it was nut cutting time, people were being PC and didn’t really believe it because of skin pigmentation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT