ADVERTISEMENT

So....Wilcke or Assad?

What the cuss?!? Why would there be a wrestle off the week of the conference tourney, especially since Assad’s short was pulled? This is baffling.
Who said it was a wrestle off? Many times guys wrestle simulation matches leading into tournaments. Many times the guys that are getting ready for the tournament get beat by guys they shouldn't and wouldn't in a real match.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Who said it was a wrestle off? Many times guys wrestle simulation matches leading into tournaments. Many times the guys that are getting ready for the tournament get beat by guys they shouldn't and wouldn't in a real match.
That could be true.

Pulling a shirt isn’t.

Should have stuck with Wilcke / Nelson. Hopefully Abe wrestles, AA’s, and others gleefully tell me I was wrong.

I can tell you that you are wrong no matter what happens from here on out at 184. There’s no fuc£ing crystal ball to predict injuries.

Wilcke has had more opportunities to prove he deserved that spot than most athletes will ever get after three years of underperforming.

Why should the coaches have to put up with an athlete who refuse to follow directions? The answer: They don’t and they put up with longer than it was good for the team, imo.

Last edited:
Assad should have an opportunity for a medical redshirt. they can use his regular RS later, if need be. I am sure using the RS later was discussed with Assad and his family.
Some guys are just better in the room.
Wilcke also beat Warner this fall in a match.
Until it's not Assad, it's Assad.
No hand wringing necessary.

You make a reasonable point; however, it doesn’t sit right. If true I need to drastically lower my expectations for 184.

I can tell you that you are wrong no matter what happens from here on out at 184. There’s no fuc£ing crystal ball to predict injuries.

Wilcke has more opportunities to prove he deserved that spot than most athletes will ever get after three years of underperforming.

Why should the coaches have to put up with an athlete who refuse to follow directions? The answer: They don’t and they put up with longer than it was good for the team, imo.

This isn’t about punishing or rewarding Wilcke, it’s about maximizing your team’s success, long term and short.

You make a reasonable point; however, it doesn’t sit right. If true I need to drastically lower my expectations for 184.

I personally doubt it’s true. But I’m not counting on points at 184 either way. Seems very little chance Assad is close to 100%.

Reactions: AFHawk86
What the cuss?!? Why would there be a wrestle off the week of the conference tourney, especially since Assad’s short was pulled? This is baffling.
I'm not sure if it would necessarily be considered a "wrestle off", but there was a decision made to wrestle a live match between the 2 of them. I believe Assad will be the guy at 184 this weekend. The big question is if Wilcke's body could hold up through Big 10s and Nationals.

Reactions: AFHawk86
I have no doubt that in any individual wrestling match, Wilcke has the ability to beat Abe Assad by 4 points. No surprise to me. But based on what we have seen on the mat under the lights over the course of this season, the choice is Assad and it isn’t all that difficult of a decision in my mind. Wilcke has been given every opportunity to own his legacy at Iowa and just hasn’t been able to take advantage.
This

Wilcke has more opportunities to prove he deserved that spot than most athletes will ever get after three years of underperforming.

Three years of underperforming? WTF? I think most would agree that his fresh and sophomore years were over performing.

Well I did just poop out a log so technically not sitting on it any more ;)

I am like Sgt Schultz...I know nothing (for real). I will admit though, even if I did know anything, I wouldn't post it on here.

Yeah, I know you wouldn't post details. Just seemed vague and indirect enough to be coy. Like the issue was something other than what everyone was assuming.

Pulling a shirt isn’t.

Should have stuck with Wilcke / Nelson. Hopefully Abe wrestles, AA’s, and others gleefully tell me I was wrong.

One of your narratives over the years is Brands seeming inability to change or adapt. So I can't help wonder what would be posted on here if we lose NCAA's by a 4 or 5 points with few points at 184 when we had a guy who took 2nd at Midlands and looked good doing sitting in the audience. Wait a minute, maybe I do know what would have been said:

Next year all of the ORS’s will be back, and Nats is going to be a dog fight. We will need every point we can get. No way they’ll sit Assad.

Barring injury or Kem not returning, I don’t see any way Nelson gets into the lineup until his Jr year.

I know you were referring to next year but I think this year is going to be closer...your proverbial "dogfight." Brands can't control injuries. IMO, if Assad wrestles, he is a third seed at B1G and a top ten guy coming into post season. To me, this validates Brands choice whether he wrestles or not.

One of your narratives over the years is Brands seeming inability to change or adapt. So I can't help wonder what would be posted on here if we lose NCAA's by a 4 or 5 points with few points at 184 when we had a guy who took 2nd at Midlands and looked good doing sitting in the audience. Wait a minute, maybe I do know what would have been said:

I know you were referring to next year but I think this year is going to be closer...your proverbial "dogfight." Brands can't control injuries. IMO, if Assad wrestles, he is a third seed at B1G and a top ten guy coming into post season. To me, this validates Brands choice whether he wrestles or not.

The problem with those of you who criticize what you think I WOULD have said if Brands had not pulled the shirt, is that I said the shirt should not be pulled BEFORE it happened. After Midlands some started advocating for it, and I said Brands would not and should not do it.

At that point in time he had done nothing to demonstrate he had more than a 50/50 shot at scoring more than Cash. So it made no sense.

Well I did just poop out a log so technically not sitting on it any more ;)

I am like Sgt Schultz...I know nothing (for real). I will admit though, even if I did know anything, I wouldn't post it on here.

Come on Chief. You say you know nothing and then follow it up with you wouldn't post it here if you did.

Clearly since you stated that you wouldn't post that which you know on here, we cannot realistically believe that there was actually a log pooped by you with out some sort of visual confirmation. (Pics or it didn't happen)

The only logical conclusion being that you are , in fact, full of crap.

-BIGS and NCAAs can't get here fast enough- I obviously have waayyy to much free time.:rolleyes::confused: I tried to find a constipated looking emoji but nothing really stuck out! Where the hell is KWOOD when you need him.

Assad should have an opportunity for a medical redshirt. they can use his regular RS later, if need be. I am sure using the RS later was discussed with Assad and his family.
Some guys are just better in the room.
Wilcke also beat Warner this fall in a match.
Until it's not Assad, it's Assad.
No hand wringing necessary.

I would give Brands the nod if Assad is still out. He could use the experience and the team would be better for it next season.

Reactions: ih8iast8
The problem with those of you who criticize what you think I WOULD have said if Brands had not pulled the shirt, is that I said the shirt should not be pulled BEFORE it happened. After Midlands some started advocating for it, and I said Brands would not and should not do it.

At that point in time he had done nothing to demonstrate he had more than a 50/50 shot at scoring more than Cash. So it made no sense.
I like that you have your own opinion but I'm sure Brands doesn't give a crap. It's a 50/50 chance on who's right but you'll never know if Assad wrestles...The way the wrestling world moves so fast It's very possible that Assad won't make the team in 4 years anyway. Weight changes and better wrestlers coming in..JMO Cash has had more than his fair chances to win the spot and just wasted his chances and our time??

I have a very hard time believing they would be having a full match within a few days of the B1G tournament. Brands could/would make the decision who's wrestling without this...If one is healthy and the other is only 70 percent why wrestle?

go hard Sunday, Monday and maybe Tuesday, recover Wednesday, then travel and make weight Thursday Friday. I don’t find it hard to believe. Most top teams do it that way give or take.

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT