ADVERTISEMENT

So wtf? The GOP candidates won't commit to accepting the election results

black and white photography GIF

Reactions: Thunderlips71
No. They didn't. They all said if it's fair then they would obviously accept them. Exact opposite of the bs thread title. Good grief.
Fair by what metrics? There's no evidence of wrongdoing in the 2020 election & they won't admit that, you really think they'll accept 2024 if they lose? Will they accept the results when they lose the nomination to Trump?

Hillary Clinton is sticking with her conviction that the 2016 presidential election was not conducted legitimately, saying the details surrounding her loss are still unclear.

“There was a widespread understanding that this election [in 2016] was not on the level,” Clinton said during an interview for the latest episode of The Atlantic’s politics podcast, The Ticket. “We still don’t know what really happened.”

Hillary Clinton is sticking with her conviction that the 2016 presidential election was not conducted legitimately, saying the details surrounding her loss are still unclear.

“There was a widespread understanding that this election [in 2016] was not on the level,” Clinton said during an interview for the latest episode of The Atlantic’s politics podcast, The Ticket. “We still don’t know what really happened.”
I won't vote for her either. She's about to go through some things w Bill anyway

No. They didn't. They all said if it's fair then they would obviously accept them. Exact opposite of the bs thread title. Good grief.
"If it's fair! IF it's fair!"

Why the suggestion that it might not be fair? Isn't that what they are really suggesting? That "fairness" isn't a given? Tell me, when has a presidential election NOT been fair? Like maybe if they don't win? Haven't you seen this before? This is EXACTLY what Trump said before 2016 AND again in 2020: "if I win it was fair, if I lose it was fraud!"

The Trump Administration's department of election security said the 2020 was the "fairest, most secure in history," while Trump himself and over 30% of the (maga) electorate say it was stolen by Biden.

So tell me why are they now suggesting that the election might not be "fair?"

No Republican has yet to provide evidence that there is any reason to question ANY of our recent elections.

Yet somehow, they love to throw in that qualifier - because it feeds red meat to the conspiracy nuts in their base.

Even so, you know she conceded the election, right? Something Trump has still never done.

Chris Cillizzi - CNN

Gross: I want to get back to the question, would you completely rule out questioning the legitimacy of this election if we learn that the Russian interference in the election is even deeper than we know now?

Clinton: No. I would not. I would say --

Gross: You're not going to rule it out?

Clinton: No, I wouldn't rule it out.

!!!!

This a big deal. The 2016 Democratic nominee, who won the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes, is expressly leaving open the possibility that she would pursue legal action to invalidate the last presidential election.

I've paid close attention to what Clinton's been saying since she lost the election and I have never heard her broach the possibility of a formal challenge of the results.

Knowing what we know of Clinton, it seems unlikely to me that she simply spoke off the cuff here, that this was just an unconsidered remark. She doesn't really do that sort of thing.

Glen Caplin, a spokesman for Clinton, said after the interview aired that the former secretary of state "has said repeatedly the results of the election are over but we have to learn what happened."

"I would hope anyone in America concerned about the integrity of our democracy would feel the same way if we got there. But we're not," Caplin said. "Right now Bob Mueller and several congressional committees are investigating to what extent the Russians impacted our election and who exactly helped them do so."

And, context matters too. Clinton floated the idea of formally contesting the election after she said this about how she envisions her role in the party going forward: "I expect to be really active, and my voice, I'm going to keep out there. I'm not going to just go slowly and quietly into that good night."

Given all of that, it's logical to conclude Clinton knew what she was doing here.

The harder-to-answer questions are a) how she would go about challenging the election and b) what the prospects for such a challenge actually working might be.

Chris Cillizzi - CNN

Gross: I want to get back to the question, would you completely rule out questioning the legitimacy of this election if we learn that the Russian interference in the election is even deeper than we know now?

!!!!

This a big deal. The 2016 Democratic nominee, who won the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes, is expressly leaving open the possibility that she would pursue legal action to invalidate the last presidential election.

I've paid close attention to what Clinton's been saying since she lost the election and I have never heard her broach the possibility of a formal challenge of the results.

Knowing what we know of Clinton, it seems unlikely to me that she simply spoke off the cuff here, that this was just an unconsidered remark. She doesn't really do that sort of thing.

Glen Caplin, a spokesman for Clinton, said after the interview aired that the former secretary of state "has said repeatedly the results of the election are over but we have to learn what happened."

"I would hope anyone in America concerned about the integrity of our democracy would feel the same way if we got there. But we're not," Caplin said. "Right now Bob Mueller and several congressional committees are investigating to what extent the Russians impacted our election and who exactly helped them do so."

And, context matters too. Clinton floated the idea of formally contesting the election after she said this about how she envisions her role in the party going forward: "I expect to be really active, and my voice, I'm going to keep out there. I'm not going to just go slowly and quietly into that good night."

Given all of that, it's logical to conclude Clinton knew what she was doing here.

The harder-to-answer questions are a) how she would go about challenging the election and b) what the prospects for such a challenge actually working might be.

Exactly. Conceded the election, then a year later suggested she’d contest it to invalidate it, and repeatedly said it was illegitimate.
The record is there.

And then for good measure:

Hillary Clinton says Biden should not concede the election 'under any circumstances'
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1238156

How should we view this hysteria?

Chris Cillizzi - CNN

!!!!

Floating an idea isn’t the same as not accepting the results. If I recall she conceded and called to congratulate Trump and said she hoped they could work together and that he was a good president for all Americans.

Read this. The two are not the same.

"But Youngkin’s contention that the Democratic response in 2016 equates with the Republican response to 2020 runs into trouble. The Democrats, while questioning events that occurred during the campaign, didn’t contend there was widespread vote-counting fraud that flipped the election."

Exactly. Conceded the election, then a year later suggested she’d contest it to invalidate it, and repeatedly said it was illegitimate.
The record is there.

And then for good measure:

Hillary Clinton says Biden should not concede the election 'under any circumstances'
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1238156

How should we view this hysteria?
I view it as one who still can't believe she lost to Trump. You'll note that there was anything but a wave of people rushing to support her viewpoint.

Hillary is a political non-entity; I'd imagine most Dems would be happy to keep her sidelined.

Got anyone else out there today from Dems backing what she said, years ago?

Did she concede? Yes or no

Chris Cillizzi - CNN

!!!!

Dems have a legitimate beef. Trump invited Russia to hack Hillary. They did. And this helped Trump win a razor thin electoral election. Maybe we not hand elections to candidates who beg Russia to hack our democracy. Seems simple to me.

How do we know these candidates wouldn’t concede? (excluding Trump obviously)

The Dems started all this nonsense of questioning election results,(Hillary, Stacy Abrams to name two) why are we surprised Republicans are doing the same?

Dems have a legitimate beef. Trump invited Russia to hack Hillary. They did. And this helped Trump win a razor thin electoral election. Maybe we not hand elections to candidates who beg Russia to hack our democracy. Seems simple to me.
Hahaha of course it’s always different for Team Blue.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie and Hawkman34
How do we know these candidates wouldn’t concede? (excluding Trump obviously)

The Dems started all this nonsense of questioning election results,(Hillary, Stacy Abrams to name two) why are we surprised Republicans are doing the same?
BoTH sIDeS!!!
Always willing to lick Trump's ass in the guise of showing how above the fray you are, right, Coff? Neither Hillary or Stacy Abrams filed 60 court challenges. Neither one of them staged a coup. They both conceded.
Your guy is still out there saying the election was stolen from him, and telling his goons to go to polling places in Philadelphia, Detroit, and Atlanta (Hmmm, what do those cities have in common?), and look out for fraud. Are you going to cruise the polling sites of St. Louis looking to ensure election integrity this year?

• Haha
Reactions: Flie and Hawkman34
BoTH sIDeS!!!
Always willing to lick Trump's ass in the guise of showing how above the fray you are, right, Coff? Neither Hillary or Stacy Abrams filed 60 court challenges. Neither one of them staged a coup. They both conceded.
Your guy is still out there saying the election was stolen from him, and telling his goons to go to polling places in Philadelphia, Detroit, and Atlanta (Hmmm, what do those cities have in common?), and look out for fraud. Are you going to cruise the polling sites of St. Louis looking to ensure election integrity this year?
Did you not read the post lucas? There was no sticking up for Trump. Trump obviously isn’t going to accept it because he is an idiot and probably a criminal(we will find out with the 91 indictment charges)

The OP was talking about the other Republican candidates and I will bet you Haley or DeSantis would concede an election if they lose even if they do question how fair the process might be. No different the Abrams(who actually never conceded but go Team Blue) or Clinton. Time and time again you claim I am a Trump supporter which simply isn’t true but I do love your commitment to Team Blue and that narrative you feel you must push that anyone who calls out Team Blues hypocrisy is a Trump supporter.

One more time. I am not a Donald Trump supporter. I have never voted for Donald Trump. I will never vote for Donald Trump.

• Haha
Reactions: IAHawk2011

Yeah, I remember 1/6/2017. Terrible day in America. And all the rallies she has riling up her frenzied cult. What a douche bag.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Did you not read the post lucas? There was no sticking up for Trump. Trump obviously isn’t going to accept it because he is an idiot and probably a criminal(we will find out with the 91 indictment charges)

The OP was talking about the other Republican candidates and I will bet you Haley or DeSantis would concede an election if they lose even if they do question how fair the process might be. No different the Abrams(who actually never conceded but go Team Blue) or Clinton. Time and time again you claim I am a Trump supporter which simply isn’t true but I do love your commitment to Team Blue and that narrative you feel you must push that anyone who calls out Team Blues hypocrisy is a Trump supporter.

One more time. I am not a Donald Trump supporter. I have never voted for Donald Trump. I will never vote for Donald Trump.
Nikki might concede. No way in hell Ron or Vivek would.

Yeah, I remember 1/6/2017. Terrible day in America. And all the rallies she has riling up her frenzied cult. What a douche bag.
What I remember is that her campaign fabricated lies and fed them to the FBI from different sources and wrapped the country up in a hoax for years, sowing massive division in the country.
Some people still believe the lies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT