ADVERTISEMENT

Soldier Salute Session III Thread

Point taken about best weights. But wouldn’t be the first hawk to wrestle not optimal weight to help team.

Blue chippers on the bench with holes in the line up is more of a concern then blue chips on bench and line up filled with top notch guys. We are gettin close imho just confused on what we do at 84
I’m curious, who wrestled their non optimal weight to help the team?

I still kind of think kemdog. Feel he would of won multiple titles at 165 and superior to AM. AM just to short small for 174. Cant remember did kem start at 149 or 157 early on

Are you talking blue chip only? If not, Swafford earlier this season and now Riggins at the very weight we are talking about are current examples. Nelson Brands is another, going back a few years.

I still kind of think kemdog. Feel he would have won multiple titles at 165 and superior to AM. AM just to short small for 174. Cant remember did kem start at 149 or 157 early on
Wrestled 149 his true freshman year when he was redshirting

Ferrari has a lot to figure out. Could be rathjens spot after this tourney

Well he can't practice with the regular team so there's that. I'm guessing it's going to be a good one but I predict Rathjen wins this one. However, I would like to see Ferrari with some gas in the tank a by the end of January. Where he sets himself apart from Rathjen is his ability to ride. Kid has heart because he was on fumes there in OT.

And he went up to 174 as a freshman.
KEM spent the 2015-2016 as a 149 redshirt. 2016-2017 season at 157 finished third at ncaa's. He spent the 2017- 2018 season at 157 where he finished 4th. 2018- 2019 he was injured. 2019-2020 he was at 174. 2020 - 2021 he was at 174.

Troy Steiner (134 sr yr to make room @ 142 for McIlravy). Joe Melchiore (134, ideal weight 126). Jeff McGinnis junior year (too big a cut to 126). Yes, definitely Weber!
Also, didn't someone move up a weight for the betterment of the team and to make room for Whitmer at 118?

KEM spent the 2015-2016 as a 149 redshirt. 2016-2017 season at 157 finished third at ncaa's. He spent the 2017- 2018 season at 157 where he finished 4th. 2018- 2019 he was injured. 2019-2020 he was at 174. 2020 - 2021 he was at 174.

Thanks. My post was obviously about Kaleb Young, but thanks for setting me straight on Kemerer even though I already knew all that.

Also, didn't someone move up a weight for the betterment of the team and to make room for Whitmer at 118?
This goes way back but mark trizzino was #1 at 134. The story goes gable asked him to cut to 126 to let randall slip in at 134. It was big cut and didnt have results at 26 he would have at 134. That’s the best I remember the story the weights may be off and it may not have been Randall but I think it was. Feel like they were trying to maneuver something at 1:18 as well and he was the only one that didn’t qualify with the shift. They still won a national title But I don’t believe Trizzino finished his high as he would’ve at 1:34. Again heard the story along time ago not sure how accurate the details are.

I think Kaleb Young probably would have been better at 165 for the last couple of years.
Not sure Young is a good example of a guy “taking one for the team.” I agree he was probably cutting too much by the end of his career, but do you think he could beat Bull? His cut wasn’t to help the team, but it was the only way for him to get on the mat.

Pretty sure Mena couldn't hold 118 anymore and moved up to 126 as a senior which opened up the spot for the strongest man in the world.

This goes way back but mark trizzino was #1 at 134. The story goes gable asked him to cut to 126 to let randall slip in at 134. It was big cut and didnt have results at 26 he would have at 134. That’s the best I remember the story the weights may be off and it may not have been Randall but I think it was. Feel like they were trying to maneuver something at 1:18 as well and he was the only one that didn’t qualify with the shift. They still won a national title But I don’t believe Trizzino finished his high as he would’ve at 1:34. Again heard the story along time ago not sure how accurate the details .

must have been 1984 ?

Not sure Young is a good example of a guy “taking one for the team.” I agree he was probably cutting too much by the end of his career, but do you think he could beat Bull? His cut wasn’t to help the team, but it was the only way for him to get on the mat.
Agree

For anyone that cares...Hill gets Schon from ISU in the 3rd place match today.

He's the clown that wanted to fight everyone at Ames 2 seasons ago when the post match brawl got going.

Yes I agree although he could have easily walked and started at 165 at probably half the big ten schools.

This goes way back but mark trizzino was #1 at 134. The story goes gable asked him to cut to 126 to let randall slip in at 134. It was big cut and didnt have results at 26 he would have at 134. That’s the best I remember the story the weights may be off and it may not have been Randall but I think it was. Feel like they were trying to maneuver something at 1:18 as well and he was the only one that didn’t qualify with the shift. They still won a national title But I don’t believe Trizzino finished his high as he would’ve at 1:34. Again heard the story along time ago not sure how accurate the details are.
Tim Riley? He wrestled at 126 in high school, but 118 at Iowa (AA years in 81,83,84). Barry Davis and Randy Lewis may have also had something to do with it.

Yes I agree although he could have easily walked and started at 165 at probably half the big ten schools.
On that subject...between PK and Caliendo, it's difficult not seeing one of them walking after this season, imo.
They're too good to sit.

I still kind of think kemdog. Feel he would have won multiple titles at 165 and superior to AM. AM just to short small for 174. Cant remember did kem start at 149 or 157 early on
Kem grew into 174 real fast. 165 wasn’t going to happen.

Reactions: vhsalum
Are you talking blue chip only? If not, Swafford earlier this season and now Riggins at the very weight we are talking about are current examples. Nelson Brands is another, going back a few years.
I’m talking guys who could have their pick of 2 weight classes and picked the heavier to help the team.
Any bump up I can think was to get in the lineup when they couldn’t be the guy at their ideal weight. Yes it helped the team but that was the only way they were getting in the lineup.

Troy Steiner (134 sr yr to make room @ 142 for McIlravy). Joe Melchiore (134, ideal weight 126). Jeff McGinnis junior year (too big a cut to 126). Yes, definitely Weber!
You are correct on all of those.
More recently I can’t think of any.

Reactions: vhsalum
I’m talking guys who could have their pick of 2 weight classes and picked the heavier to help the team.
Any bump up I can think was to get in the lineup when they couldn’t be the guy at their ideal weight. Yes it helped the team but that was the only way they were getting in the lineup.

Thanks for clarifying. I think most of the time they go hand in hand. And isn’t that what we are talking about here? Gabe going up if he can’t beat Kennedy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT