ADVERTISEMENT

Some history of Wrestling programs that ended (in part) Due to Football

The problem is still Title IX. Even if athletic departments wanted to spend more on, or allocate more resources to, football, there is *always* the option of self-funding a program. Honestly you could even self-fund and make a general gift to the university athletic department. For example, if it cost $500k a year to fund a program, you could fund it entirely through donors/revenue and you could add 10% to the general athletic fund. Almost no athletic department would get rid of that sport.

Title IX creates artificial proportionality requirements that functionally require someone funding wrestling to fund TWO sports. That's the real issue.

I don't know how Clemson does not make this list. In 1995 then coach Gil Sanchez violated NCAA rules by wrestling a guy - personal friend of mine from my high school who later died in Afghanistan serving this country - under the name of an injured wrestler at a tournament. Sanchez was fired but the Clemson administration assured athletes and parents a new coach would be hired after the season, and the program would not be dropped.

A few hours before the athletic department closed for spring break, a meeting was called to inform the team that the program was being discontinued. They chose the timing so that they would not have to field phone calls from parents.

The timing also coincided with the start of the NCAA tournament. I was walking, as a fan, to the entrance of Carver-Hawkeye arena (my first trip to Mecca) before the start of session one when I spotted one of Clemson's two qualifiers that year - Aaron Strobel another friend of mine that had graduated from my high school; Brendan Buckley was the other qualifier - walking out of the arena with a dazed look on his face. I approached him, and Aaron told me that he had just been informed that the program had been dropped. They informed Aaron and Brendan right before they were to wrestle in their first NCAA tournament. This was the season immediately following Sam Henson winning his second title.

They claimed Title IX, but many of us believe that was smoke-n-mirrors. The AD at that time had never been a fan of the wrestling team. The small wrestling room shared a wall with the medium sized football weight room. Oddly enough, by the following season that wall had been torn down and the weight room expanded.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Was that written by a junior high kid for a class assignment?
Look, do not really care too much about how it was written. Not a college paper or anything!!! The point is, Wrestling is not too expensive to field a team. Does not take up much space. Does not require a ton of yearly updates for equipment. IS one of the most popular HS sports in the country. IS one of the oldest sports in the world. IS in some form, in just about every major country in the world, and SHOULD be in at least 2-3 times as many colleges as it currently is!

Reactions: Spoons
Look, do not really care too much about how it was written. Not a college paper or anything!!! The point is, Wrestling is not too expensive to field a team. Does not take up much space. Does not require a ton of yearly updates for equipment. IS one of the most popular HS sports in the country. IS one of the oldest sports in the world. IS in some form, in just about every major country in the world, and SHOULD be in at least 2-3 times as many colleges as it currently is!
Also, you need to factor in the many athletic programs have a ton of man hating women in leadership positions and also men who do not want to be accused of possessing "toxic masculinity". That makes for a recipe to cut a MANLY sport like wrestling.
When they cut wrestling at my university, the women in charge would have loved to cut football, but it was too powerful. They went for the sport they considered the weakest. They had it out for wrestling for years and finally got their way.

Also, you need to factor in the many athletic programs have a ton of man hating women in leadership positions and also men who do not want to be accused of possessing "toxic masculinity". That makes for a recipe to cut a MANLY sport like wrestling.
When they cut wrestling at my university, the women in charge would have loved to cut football, but it was too powerful. They went for the sport they considered the weakest. They had it out for wrestling for years and finally got their way.
But it's mostly about money. Football soaks up so many resources that not much is left for anything else, men or women. Everyone says that football pays for other sports, but most football programs don't make money, so those sports must be supported by donations and endowment money. I do concede that there are man-hating people out there, but the main driving force is money and selfishness.

Reactions: lookleft goright
But it's mostly about money. Football soaks up so many resources that not much is left for anything else, men or women. Everyone says that football pays for other sports, but most football programs don't make money, so those sports must be supported by donations and endowment money. I do concede that there are man-hating people out there, but the main driving force is money and selfishness.
Agreed, but again Title IX oftentimes makes it so that you cannot even self-fund a program.

A University can of course choose how they spend their money. But even if you take money out of the equation it's often not enough, and don't forget Universities are also allocating money based on Title IX regs itself.

Agreed, but again Title IX oftentimes makes it so that ADs can use it as an excuse to not allow even self-funding a program.

A University can of course choose how they spend their money. But even if you take money out of the equation it's often not enough, and don't forget Universities are also allocating money based on Title IX regs itself.
FIFY

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT