ADVERTISEMENT

Somehow I Don't Believe Richie Cunningham Brought a Rifle to School...

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
Is DeSantis correct on this? Maybe on a gun rack? The 1940's and 50's were before the NRA started the "guns everywhere for everyone" agenda.

“Back in like the forties and fifties, kids used to go to school and bring a rifle. I mean, yeah, I mean, like they would do that. And so, you know, it’s like you didn’t have this happening then when literally they’re bringing this to school."

Is DeSantis correct on this? Maybe on a gun rack? The 1940's and 50's were before the NRA started the "guns everywhere for everyone" agenda.

“Back in like the forties and fifties, kids used to go to school and bring a rifle. I mean, yeah, I mean, like they would do that. And so, you know, it’s like you didn’t have this happening then when literally they’re bringing this to school."

The obsession some dudes have with guns and trucks explains the guy in the tank at the Bass Pro Shop.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if NorthernHawkeye has been bailed out of jail yet?

I taught in a rural community for one year just over 10 years ago. Kids were still mad then they couldn't bring them. Some talked about how they still did because they were hunting over the weekend and never took it out.

Maybe if the kids all carried rifles to school like they used to, we wouldn’t have these issues. Somebody photoshop Wally Cleaver going to school with a rifle slung over his shoulder. Ahh the good ol’ days!

My high school physics teacher had a compound bow delivered during class. He strung it and fired an arrow across the room. And it was a real arrow with a sharp tip. If he did that today, he would die in prison.

I used to bring a shotgun in my car all the time. I would drive out of town and road hunt pheasants after school. I also did a how to speech on how to clean a gun. I got permission before hand and had to leave it in the car until I could get it for class and then it stayed in class until after school was over. No ammunition was allowed. It was 1992 when I did that.

I used to bring a shotgun in my car all the time. I would drive out of town and road hunt pheasants after school. I also did a how to speech on how to clean a gun. I got permission before hand and had to leave it in the car until I could get it for class and then it stayed in class until after school was over. No ammunition was allowed. It was 1992 when I did that.
Me also. Would go hunting after school was out.

World was a different place just 20 short years ago. Many of us had our guns in the car on school grounds and no one thought anything of it. I've said this before on here, but there were a couple occasions where mine was locked in my locker and the school knew about it. Obviously that would never fly today nor should it. And I wasn't some gun nut with gun nut parents growing up.

I taught in a rural community for one year just over 10 years ago. Kids were still mad then they couldn't bring them. Some talked about how they still did because they were hunting over the weekend and never took it out.
Kids at my high school with pickups often had a rack that was visible in the back window and a shotgun or rifle on it. I remember guys in groups standing around showing off their guns in the parking lot.
To be fair, plenty of those guys either hunted before school or afterwards during the season, so having the weapon was just taken for granted.
Mental health problems must not have existed, because no one got shot.
My friends and I mostly showed off our pocket knives.

Kids at my high school with pickups often had a rack that was visible in the back window and a shotgun or rifle on it. I remember guys in groups standing around showing off their guns in the parking lot.
To be fair, plenty of those guys either hunted before school or afterwards during the season, so having the weapon was just taken for granted.
This is what a lot of us are saying, something changed, and it wasn’t guns.

Well, the guns changed. The kids I knew had bolt action rifles, single shot .22s, or shotguns with a plug limiting the number of shells.
We used to ride bikes four miles to Luke’s Store to buy red wigglers for fishing and boxes of .22s for plinking using the cash from mowing yards. We didn’t tell our folks, there was no need to.
There were no ads glamorizing military knockoffs. And, nobody was pushing stand your ground killings or a need for everybody to be packing.

Last edited:
While I'm not a fan of it, I can at least wrap my head around keeping the gun in the parking lot in their car. It'd be a different issue for me if it was brought into the school, if only for safety concerns due to possible accidents.
Alot of things changed. Amongst them was the volume and variety of guns. Are you really suggesting guns have nothing to do with school shootings?

Reactions: gohawks50
This will fall on deaf ears. It will never ever be a societal problem, that means that people are the issue. Take a good look at classrooms all across the country today compared to 20-30 years ago if you wanna know how fvcked we are.
How is it a people problem, but not a societal problem? those seem very closely intertwined.

This is a problem across multiple areas - to say guns aren't a part of it isn't being honest imo.

While I'm not a fan of it, I can at least wrap my head around keeping the gun in the parking lot in their car. It'd be a different issue for me if it was brought into the school, if only for safety concerns due to possible accidents.

Alot of things changed. Amongst them was the volume and variety of guns. Are you really suggesting guns have nothing to do with school shootings?
Are you saying ruger mini 14s weren’t readily available in the 90s and 80s? I had guns in my truck, superintendent knew and just said never let anyone see it. We weren’t psycho. It’s usually the kids that are not well liked, into weird shit like dungeons and dragons, their real lives suck and they get bullied. Kindness and mental health care would do wonders…..or bring back physical bullying, cuz **** these weird kids today can’t handle being told they aren’t a furry, they are odd for being non binary.

Well, the guns changed. The kids I knew had bolt action rifles, single shot .22s, or shotguns with a plug limiting the number of shells.
We used to ride bikes four miles to Luke’s Store to buy red wrigglers for fishing and boxes of .22s for plinking using the cash from mowing yards. We didn’t tell our folks, there was no need to.
There were no ads glamorizing military knockoffs. And, nobody was pushing stand your ground killings or a need for everybody to be packing.
We had ruger mini 14s, the 80s had plenty of magazines with military/mercenary slants. Face it, kids are way more phucked up, bad parenting, promoting weird ideas about normal, then when the kid doesn’t get accepted, they snap

It's not the guns nor is it stand your ground laws.

What's changed is people.

Kids didn't act this way in the 70's when rifle racks were abundant in school parking lots.

Students listened to teachers and stayed in their seats and if not they got smacked by the teacher and then smacked again when they got home.

Coddling at home and at school has added to the issue.

Reactions: Nole-4-Life
We had ruger mini 14s, the 80s had plenty of magazines with military/mercenary slants. Face it, kids are way more phucked up, bad parenting, promoting weird ideas about normal, then when the kid doesn’t get accepted, they snap
…and Wayne LapPierre joined the lobbying team in 1978. His legacy will haunt our country for decades.

I effing hate that man.

Gun racks used to be common in the rear window of all pickups not just kids.
When we lived in Texas you could not bring a gun on a rack in a pickup or any other kind of vehicle to school as a teacher, Coach, or student.
My kids were in high school in the late 90’s and they had classmates who hunted. They were never a problem.
Kids couldn’t have pagers in the building either, even in a locker.
It truly was a different era. My daughter was a senior in ‘99 and when Columbine happened that spring the kids were as dumbfounded and freaked as the adults.

Reactions: Speedway1
They were readily available before, guns didn’t change, kids did
Not like they are now. There was an AR ban and gun violence was lower when we had it. We have far more guns now than we did when we were kids. It's not even close. Why do you guys CONSTANTLY ignore the fact these shootings don't happen in other countries anywhere near the level they happen here? Sorry but I'm going to use logic. Are kids different? Sure, but they are around the world.

It's the guns. It's American society and our pathetic gun laws.

Not like they are now. There was an AR ban and gun violence was lower when we had it. We have far more guns now than we did when we were kids. It's not even close. Why do you guys CONSTANTLY ignore the fact these shootings don't happen in other countries anywhere near the level they happen here? Sorry but I'm going to use logic. Are kids different? Sure, but they are around the world.

It's the guns. It's American society and our pathetic gun laws.
My point is, it’s going to take more than gun laws.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
My point is, it’s going to take more than gun laws.
Agreed. Maybe our governor will start increasing funding to address mental health issues. I'm not going to hold my breath.

It's still the easy access and the vast amount of guns in America compared to the rest of the world. Australia, for example didn't accept mass killings. We do. Our leaders are paid off to accept them.

Agreed. Maybe our governor will start increasing funding to address mental health issues. I'm not going to hold my breath.

It's still the easy access and the vast amount of guns in America compared to the rest of the world. Australia, for example didn't accept mass killings. We do. Our leaders are paid off to accept them.
Stop it with this Australia comparison.

No AR was involved in the Perry IA situation.

You would be good with nobody but the military and law enforcement being allowed guns, wouldn't you?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT