ADVERTISEMENT

Somehow I Don't Believe Richie Cunningham Brought a Rifle to School...

Well, since Richie Cunningham was a fictional character and he only did what the writers said he did, probably not. But if Richie Cunningham was an actual person growing up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the mid 1950s, there's a good chance he did.
My dad grew up in Mercer Wisconsin. Verified.

Reactions: billanole
And before that there was no AR ban and gun violence was lower yet.

AR 15s were available in 1964. The year before I started school. It wasn't a problem for another 50 years.
No one had one when I was a kid that I knew of in the 60's and 70's.

No one had one when I was a kid that I knew of in the 60's and 70's.
I don't recall seeing one in the 80s and 90s.

This is what I hunted with (deer anyway):

978733.jpg

You grossly underestimate the logistics involved in hardening schools. From the sheer variety of building designs, to the size of them, some having multiple separate buildings - see parkland; while not impossible per se, I think this is a much harder task to accomplish than you think.

Take Uvalde for example - they’d done a number of the things you suggested. School was secured during the day, guard on-site, etc. shooter got in because one door got left unlocked (someone remind me, did they determine if that was an accident, lock was broke, etc?), but the shooter knew about it.

Schools built in last 20 years have too many points of entry, and ground-level classrooms have large windows that are often big enough to enter thru.

Most of the security measures you mentioned I don’t disagree with, but I’m not sure they’re always going to be plausible for a variety of reasons, some very real and some that are unfortunately political.
IIRC it was another worthless teacher who left the door unlocked after they had propped it open.

The money the Biden Administration is not spending at the border as they should could be directed at hardening all U.S. schools.

IIRC it was another worthless teacher who left the door unlocked after they had propped it open.

The money the Biden Administration is not spending at the border as they should could be directed at hardening all U.S. schools.
Seriously, you and your far right wing ilk are no better than the left you claim to hate. You both love the paint with broad brushes.

"worthless teacher" smh

I’ll place plenty of blame at the feet of the NRA. Back when I was a kid the NRA was an organization run by its actual members who were by and large sportsmen and women. Their primary directive was the teaching of gun and hunters safety and the big responsibilities of gun ownership and safe handling of firearms and zero political bullshit at all.

Fast forward to the early 90s when Wayne LaPierre became director of the NRA and they quickly became a political lobbying powerhouse that loosened common sense gun laws already in place, ramped up fear tactics to stimulate more and more ammo & gun sales and turned the 2nd amendment into a perverted political war zone. All the while enriching themselves and their cronies from the membership fees of their now very different member demographic.

Wayne LaPierre and current NRA supporters can all eat lead, die and suffer in hell, it can’t happen soon enough IMO.

I’ll place plenty of blame at the feet of the NRA. Back when I was a kid the NRA was an organization run by its actual members who were by and large sportsmen and women. Their primary directive was the teaching of gun and hunters safety and the big responsibilities of gun ownership and safe handling of firearms and zero political bullshit at all.

Fast forward to the early 90s when Wayne LaPierre became director of the NRA and they quickly became a political lobbying powerhouse that loosened common sense gun laws already in place, ramped up fear tactics to stimulate more and more ammo & gun sales and turned the 2nd amendment into a perverted political war zone. All the while enriching themselves and their cronies from the membership fees of their now very different member demographic.

Wayne LaPierre and current NRA supporters can all eat lead, die and suffer in hell, it can’t happen soon enough IMO.
Asshole leaves a legacy of death, broken homes, political infighting, and massive grift.

Nobody should take you seriously, the NRA has zero to do with this situation.

The NRA promotes and teaches safe firearm use and handling.

You're obviously a bigot when it comes to the 2nd Amendment.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Nobody should take you seriously, the NRA has zero to do with this situation.

The NRA promotes and teaches safe firearm use and handling.

You're obviously a bigot when it comes to the 2nd Amendment.

Once upon a time that was the primary function of the NRA. That hasn’t been the case for many, many years.

Or did you somehow miss the political ads they run ever election cycle, the lobbying and financial donations they make.

Once upon a time that was the primary function of the NRA. That hasn’t been the case for many, many years.

Or did you somehow miss the political ads they run ever election cycle, the lobbying and financial donations they make.
Kinda like the donations and ads the NEA run or AARP?

The NRA and it's members (me) oppose any political action to suppress our 2nd Amendment rights.

Wayne just resigned. I'm not a member, and won't be a member. He's certainly harmed the organization by not being the least bit reasonable about anything.

You get that they didn’t used to be heavily involved in politics right? At least not to the extent they became.
They didn't have to be heavily involved until the liberal left (you and your ilk) decided we didn't need our Constitutional rights anymore.

I belong and also donate to their political action fund just to ensure idiots on the left aren't successful in destroying the Constitution.

They didn't have to be heavily involved until the liberal left (you and your ilk) decided we didn't need our Constitutional rights anymore.

I belong and also donate to their political action fund just to ensure idiots on the left aren't successful in destroying the Constitution.

I missed when liberals attempted to repeal the 2nd amendment

You grossly underestimate the logistics involved in hardening schools. From the sheer variety of building designs, to the size of them, some having multiple separate buildings - see parkland; while not impossible per se, I think this is a much harder task to accomplish than you think.

Take Uvalde for example - they’d done a number of the things you suggested. School was secured during the day, guard on-site, etc. shooter got in because one door got left unlocked (someone remind me, did they determine if that was an accident, lock was broke, etc?), but the shooter knew about it.

Schools built in last 20 years have too many points of entry, and ground-level classrooms have large windows that are often big enough to enter thru.

Most of the security measures you mentioned I don’t disagree with, but I’m not sure they’re always going to be plausible for a variety of reasons, some very real and some that are unfortunately political.

Sure, that's fair. Maybe I've underestimating it by 300%. Versus the alternative - removing virtually all guns from society, one is doable, and one is not. There is no legislative solution to these kinds of mass shooting incidents...the studies have been done, the data analyzed. Other gun issues, yes, there's an established correlation, but not these.

I appreciate the Uvalde story, but one door being able to be coincidentally unlocked so a shooter got in..that's not hardened. You can't walk into a bank vault or the White House or a Delta flight with an arsenal because someone left a door ajar.

Technology is our friend in this case. If we actually cared about this, we could have an Apollo or Operation Warp speed program to solve the question. "How can we keep people from entering a school with weapons and shooting people" just seems eminently solvable with some technology, innovation and a lot of money.

So maybe you can only harden 50% of our schools in two years. Maybe it takes 10 years to do them all. But if you can literally solve this problem, why not start?

Wayne just resigned. I'm not a member, and won't be a member. He's certainly harmed the organization by not being the least bit reasonable about anything.

The turn to purely political ends, instead of values-based advocacy, for institutions like the NRA and the ACLU, has been a disaster. It has direct impact on the crisis of authority that our culture faces today.

Frankly, that largely applies to evangelical churches, and universities, and much of the press as well. But institutions like the NRA, ACLU, ADL, etc are significant, and were were part of a check on institutions like universities and journalists.

The 1950’s had the benefit in South Florida that most high schoolers were told they would die in a nuclear Holocaust.

Probably dissuaded school shooters.

So, if it's the amount of guns that makes school shootings inevitable, what explains this:

NA-BU942_BANKRO_G_20130204183321.jpg

Obviously other gun related crimes on locations are going down despite the proliferation of gun ownership.

But with schools...nothing we can do about it.

Sure, that's fair. Maybe I've underestimating it by 300%. Versus the alternative - removing virtually all guns from society, one is doable, and one is not. There is no legislative solution to these kinds of mass shooting incidents...the studies have been done, the data analyzed. Other gun issues, yes, there's an established correlation, but not these.

I appreciate the Uvalde story, but one door being able to be coincidentally unlocked so a shooter got in..that's not hardened. You can't walk into a bank vault or the White House or a Delta flight with an arsenal because someone left a door ajar.

Technology is our friend in this case. If we actually cared about this, we could have an Apollo or Operation Warp speed program to solve the question. "How can we keep people from entering a school with weapons and shooting people" just seems eminently solvable with some technology, innovation and a lot of money.

So maybe you can only harden 50% of our schools in two years. Maybe it takes 10 years to do them all. But if you can literally solve this problem, why not start?

No one has seriously discussed removing all guns from society though.

Yes, there has been such discussions, whether or not you recognize them. Beto O'Rourke wants confiscation? California banning guns in most public places? AOC supporting gun confiscation just this past week? Those are just off the top of my head.

None of those are remotely close to removing all guns, period, from society.

And frankly, for many, many reasons, it’s a political impossibility that it could ever happen. So I’m sick and tired of the fear-mongering.

Little man you're just a shill for the left, I doubt you have reached puberty or probably never will.

🤣

Triggered again, my insecure little Rico?

Ask Mommy to let you out of the basement on occasion. You might have the opportunity to learn something.

😘

No one has seriously discussed removing all guns from society though.

I know. But for these rando mass shootings, that's what it would take. Gun laws don't have an effect on these.

When we're talking about anything other than removing the vast majority of guns from the public, or hardening targets...we're talking about things that don't actually solve the problem.

Anything else is like responding to a plane crash by demanding we fully inspect all the rail lines in America.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I know. But for these rando mass shootings, that's what it would take. Gun laws don't have an effect on these.

When we're talking about anything other than removing the vast majority of guns from the public, or hardening targets...we're talking about things that don't actually solve the problem.

Anything else is like responding to a plane crash by demanding we fully inspect all the rail lines in America.

I’m arguing a few things - our existing gun laws are not working. They need to be rewritten/replaced by laws that could (in fairness, I think this is more a reflection of laws written for a different time and place). There’s certainly some of what you’re suggesting regarding hardening schools that can and should be done. Other parts imo can’t simply due to the sheer variety of building designs thss as that exist for schools. Try and improve on anti-bullying efforts, or at least offer more support for kids.

At least as a starting point.

For one, how Americans now interpret the Second Amendment.
How does it differ today from 170 years ago?

In the Dred Scott decision the court observed the rights of citizens:

persons…, who were recognised as citizens in any one State of the Union, the right to enter every other State whenever they pleased, singly or in companies, without pass or passport, and without obstruction, to sojourn there as long as they pleased, to go where they pleased at every hour of the day or night without molestation, unless they committed some violation of law for which a white man would be punished; and it would give them the full liberty of speech in public and in private upon all subjects upon which its own citizens might speak; to hold public meetings upon political affairs, and to keep and carry arms wherever they went.’

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
None of those are remotely close to removing all guns, period, from society.

And frankly, for many, many reasons, it’s a political impossibility that it could ever happen. So I’m sick and tired of the fear-mongering.
Yes, they are, and you replied predictably by denying it.

Yes, they are, and you replied predictably by denying it.

No, there is no serious legislative or political path that exists that would approve mass confiscation of guns, no matter what individual politicians might say. In the House you don’t even have a majority of democrats that would sign on for it, to say nothing of breaking a filibuster in the senate. And there’s no way you’re getting 3/4 of states to agree to repeal an amendment.

How does it differ today from 170 years ago?

In the Dred Scott decision the court observed the rights of citizens:

persons…, who were recognised as citizens in any one State of the Union, the right to enter every other State whenever they pleased, singly or in companies, without pass or passport, and without obstruction, to sojourn there as long as they pleased, to go where they pleased at every hour of the day or night without molestation, unless they committed some violation of law for which a white man would be punished; and it would give them the full liberty of speech in public and in private upon all subjects upon which its own citizens might speak; to hold public meetings upon political affairs, and to keep and carry arms wherever they went.’

This was also a time when militia were still of use as well. The idea that the right to bear arms was clear and separate from the militia part of the 2nd amendment is relatively new.

Also, can’t believe you’re using one of the most egregiously wrong SC decisions to support your argument.

The idea that the right to bear arms was clear and separate from the militia part of the 2nd amendment is relatively new.

Not at all,.. At the time of it's writing the second amendment envisioned militias being formed with citizens who were coming equipped with their own personal firearms,... First you have the right to bear arms, secondly you might be enlisted to participate in a militia.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Not at all,.. At the time of it's writing the second amendment envisioned militias being formed with citizens who were coming equipped with their own personal firearms,... First you have the right to bear arms, secondly you might be enlisted to participate in a militia.

You see how they linked those together tho right? Now you might as well have the Berlin Wall in the middle. Which is NOT what was intended.

You see how they linked those together tho right? Now you might as well have the Berlin Wall in the middle. Which is NOT what was intended.
The right to own guns (bear arms) has been decided upon time after time by the highest court in the land in favor of the citizens of the United States.

It's time for the liberals, Democrats, and anti-gun nuts to just move on, as our 2nd Amendment rights are just that "our rights".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT