ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer is Starting vs Northwestern. Here is the Depth Chart

Never take a KF depth chart as truth. Johnson has been starting recently and has been getting more reps. He's going to get plenty of reps on Saturday.

Also, someone was complaining about 4* skill guys, we have 2 QBs (depending on site) on the roster right now. One broke records of an NFL starter and the other had Georgia coming after him hard. The first one has proven he isn't the guy.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
It’s the same reason David Bell turned down Iowa. If young Kasper commits elsewhere, then that’s about as good of feedback as you’re going to get on the condition of your program. I honestly would not fault the kid if he chose another school. I wouldn’t commit to play for Brian and Kirk. No thanks.
i would

So...if he moves to progression number two, he's buried into the turf. Of course he's locking onto the #1 guy...seriously...against the last two opponents, there is no progression as it immediately becomes a sack.

I'm not sure what people are thinking blaming Petras all the time. He's good if you give him a pocket. He's not good when everything is crumbling around him...the panic started to set in at Wisconsin too. He's been calmer until last week.

I've never seen a Ferentz coached team have both tackles whiff that much. I have to go back to 2012...with James Vandenburg. That kid was running for his life...we had three OL go down with season ending surgeries and it was like a jailbreak for the defensive line...we didn't even get a hand on people...similar to what we saw Saturday.
He isn’t “good” when you give him a pocket. He is “ barely serviceable when you give him a pocket”

Making changes now would mean two things for the arrogant coaches... one..admit you were wrong and face questions and two... look like you were caving to the fans.

It's not surprising and it's still disappointing that players aren't held accountable for poor play.

they don't have to admit they were wrong. they can say they play the best players at each position and right now they feel more comfortable playing Padilla at QB.

they shouldn't have to cave to anyone. they simply have to look at the decisions Spencer is making during games and realize that a change is needed right now.

but don't forget about all the problems the OL is causing for this Iowa offense. there is plenty of blame to go around.

and speaking of poor play, what the hell do you do with IKM? I mean, you can't trust him with the ball, can you?

awww, WTH do I know. I just coach basketball for a living. ;)

Anyone know the definition of insanity? If so, please share with Kirk and Brian. Thanks.

The obvious question to me is how do you expect an elite skill position player like Kasper, class of 2023, to commit to this mess?

2 words. Kevin. Kasper.

E3ZjH2FXoAAutFk.jpg

a_kasper_i.jpg

a_kkasper_i.jpg

We change out linemen every week, why can we not do it at the QB position?! I like Petras and he was throwing the ball well at the end of last year but something has definitely changed. Right now he is not playing well and needs to sit, but clearly KF is too stubborn to make the change for the betterment of the team, which is truly disappointing!!!

Fatty Pits is due for a W and I guarantee he smells blood in the water with the Hawks. I hate to see the Hawks lose but this weekend we will see how this team handles adversity at NW, at night on the road. It won’t end well for the Hawks I’m afraid. This team has no leaders and minimal offensive coaching leadership. Can’t say the same for the D. I know if I was on the D, I’d be pretty tired of Brian’s bs.

Reactions: ksihawk
Making changes now would mean two things for the arrogant coaches... one..admit you were wrong and face questions and two... look like you were caving to the fans.

It's not surprising and it's still disappointing that players aren't held accountable for poor play.
AND extremely stupid and reckless to try and change at this point in the season. Just add more confusion to guys already struggling.

If we have a similar 1st quarter to the last two weeks and they don't pull Petras....I mean he should be pulled regardless but c'mon man.

Be real nice if our OC had any fear of losing his job.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
AND extremely stupid and reckless to try and change at this point in the season. Just add more confusion to guys already struggling.
Or it could send a message that if you can’t do your job, we’ll find someone who can.

I dont think I can watch him play anymore. Its brutal. He would be fine as a game manager if thats what was needed but its just not working here. Its Jake C awful.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Didn't seem to bother OU all that much when they sat a preseason all-american. You honestly don't think the defense is getting tired of the lack of offense? The unwillingness to try to do something different at the QB position is going to cause more damage than a change would. Especially when the team sees changes at other positions.

remember last year when he got intentional grounding from throwing the ball out of bounds when there was no pressure from anyone, anywhere?

there's just too many "WTF was that" moments w/ Spencer

The more I watch him the worse it gets. He may be the greatest red jersey QB to ever play the game but when the bullets start flying the guy shits himself.

If we were middling or showing some form of spark every now and then I could see your argument. Assuming you have to play 11 players, our offense can not get worse. 1 first down in the first half last week.

The obvious question to me is how do you expect an elite skill position player like Kasper, class of 2023, to commit to this mess?

I'd suggest that he use a pen like everybody else...

So...if he moves to progression number two, he's buried into the turf. Of course he's locking onto the #1 guy...seriously...against the last two opponents, there is no progression as it immediately becomes a sack.

I'm not sure what people are thinking blaming Petras all the time. He's good if you give him a pocket. He's not good when everything is crumbling around him...the panic started to set in at Wisconsin too. He's been calmer until last week.

I've never seen a Ferentz coached team have both tackles whiff that much. I have to go back to 2012...with James Vandenburg. That kid was running for his life...we had three OL go down with season ending surgeries and it was like a jailbreak for the defensive line...we didn't even get a hand on people...similar to what we saw Saturday.

By admitting Petras doesn't have enough time/OL is terrible you are making the case for why he should be benched. Team needs to go with someone more mobile. Not only is the OL effed for this year, the OL is going to be bad next year too---Petras has no value in that scenario.

I was more surprised they said moss would only be a couple weeks rather than a month or season ending. Generally, when something happens like that, there had been something wrong for awhile that finally gave way.
It is just a strain.

Yep. He and Ragani have the Ferentz union card and performance is irrelevant. Keegan Johnson should be your #1 receiver and Bruce should be starting in the slot. When fans wonder why this staff rarely lands 4 or 5 star skill players, this is why. The same could be said for quarterback. When you have the Ferentz union card, you are golden no matter how poorly you perform. The backups have zero chance of taking a meaningful snap without the union card. Seriously. What top prospect would want to commit to this shit?

Glad I’ve got plans this Saturday. Same shit, different week. Good fugging gawd.
What has Ragaini done that is so bad?

I think he plays for a half and if we are behind and the o-line isnt giving him time, Padilla gets a look to start Q3. Its not about Petras though, its more about is there enough time for Petras to stand in the pocket, if not...put in the guy that can create an extra few seconds with his mobility.
I see us in a close game and SP stays in and ends up costing the game getting sacked\stripped fumble deep in our own again. NW kicks a FG to win. KF has a presser and says "little things, need improvement, execution" with no mention of the OC.

So you don't know why he should be not playing just that you don't like him? He is a good slot guy. He also scored the biggest TD of the season. He has 85 career receptions at Iowa. Tracy I can see why you would criticize but Ragaini has preformed pretty well in his time here.

I understand a NFL offensive coordinator is differnent from a college coordinator. But the difference in creativity was startling. The Vikings and Cowboys on Sunday night were throwing different types of screens, deep passes, trick plays and you could see they were specifically trying to get their star players the ball. Kellen Moore for the Cowboys is going to be a NFL head coach soon I'm sure. And then to watch the Iowa game where it is incomplete pass, 2 yard run, incomplete pass and punt just makes them look like a JV team. The lack of imagination is worrisome.

Last edited:
So you don't know why he should be not playing just that you don't like him? He is a good slot guy. He also scored the biggest TD of the season. He has 85 career receptions at Iowa. Tracy I can see why you would criticize but Ragaini has preformed pretty well in his time here.
I didn’t say I liked or disliked him. He’s okay, but Arland Bruce has more upside and more big play potential. I’m not saying Ragani shouldn’t see the field but Iowa’s struggling offense needs playmakers getting the lion’s share of the snaps.

Brian needs to figure out how to get the ball in the hands of KJ, TG, and AB more. I think you can even throw Charlie Jones into the mix. Those four are your home run hitters. If healthy, I’d also like to see Lachey get more opportunities to make big catches down the middle of the field. He should be a matchup nightmare for a lot of defenses.

In all, they need to figure out how to better utilize the play makers they do have. I know the offensive line has their problems but I really believe a lot of the OL issues stem from opposing defenses putting so many defenders in the box and playing downhill because there is no real threat of a vertical passing game and the play calling and formations are too obvious and predictable. At this point, it is just foolish stubborn pride for Kirk (and/or Brian) to think they’re going to come into any game and establish the run by dominating in the trenches. Not with the this current OL. Ain’t happening.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Iowa's depth chart and what ends up happening don't always jive. Fumbleitis is a bad injury for IKM, can keep a guy out a long time.

The lack of imagination is worrisome.
Correct. Unless you have an absolutely dominating OL, you have to get more creative in your formations and play call patterns. Iowa is so vanilla in their schemes there isn’t much for opposing defenses to have to read or try to decipher. The end result is a bunch of defenders playing downhill and flying to the football. Add in the fact your quarterback is immobile and not very accurate and you have the perfect makeup for being one of the worst offenses in college football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT