ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee issues?

I know these are message boards. And people like to sling crap. But anybody with half no just a 1/4 brain can watch. I have posted multiple times. Will not go into details. But if people think the competition just caught up Lee, or he lost his tank, or he is now freezing out there, or has weight issues, or is burned out, etc. pull your head out as you obviously don’t know Lee or the coaches. Speculate all you want that is what message boards are for. But how here are really Hawk fans when you post some of this shit? All I will say is “Lee is a tough son of a gun and working towards March.”
KujawaFan - you seem to know what’s going on with Lee and I won’t even ask you to share because it’s none of my business. But based on what you know, do you think he can get a little healthier by The NCAA tourney and be a serious contender? He’s such a great kid and ambassador for Iowa wrestling and it absolutely sucks watching him struggle like this.
Not Kujawa, but will engage in this thread with a similar theme. For those who are questioning Lee’s ability, skill, mentality, dedication etc, they are barking up the wrong tree. I won’t disclose any medical details, but will suggest that people trust those who have shared he is not, has not been, and will not be 100% by season’s end. He is improving and should continue to do so, and his performance thus far given what he’s dealing with has been borderline superhuman. Only time will tell what he can do in the next few weeks, but please don’t doubt the kid for a malady that he has no control over, and one that he has shown far more strength and resilience through than most others.
Sorry if my post came across the wrong way. No way in hell am I doubting him or don’t believe he’s dealing with something major. I was in Lincoln and you could see it in his body language that something isn’t right. I have 3 boys who idolize Lee and even though they’re young, they can see he’s not his normal self. Hope he can get healthier this next month and prove all the idiots and doubters wrong.

Again, did I miss Spencer rolling Picc for four minutes prior to the pin? If so I apologize. If not then it seems he was a shell of himself, which is the reason he lost.

I believe it was a tech/pin...correct? The ultimate in domination.

I don't subscribe to folks saying he got "caught." He put himself in that position. But he has put himself into bad positions before and been just fine. This time, he couldn't do anything about it. Kid hasn't been pinned since he was in the third grade...wins against have been measured in one or two points and usually decided at the end of a close match. He was probably giving up 10 to 15 pounds against Fix at Cadet Trials and it was still very close. He had what one could call a gassing moment late at Junior Worlds and was down by 4 or 5 points and came back to win it. But I guess both Northwestern and Okie State have developed some sort of spinach pills for their 125s.

Normally, I don’t believe time off this late in the year is ideal for conditioning/tank but in the case of Lee, I think having a week off plus two weeks following Big Tens is exactly what the doctor ordered.

He is clearly still dealing with physical/immune difficulties and I believe he will look the strongest he has looked since the beginning of the year come March. With that being said, I think that puts him at 80%... good enough to likely beat everyone but 3-4 guys. The three day tournament probably favors him vs heavier guys such as Picc and Rivera from a weigh in perspective.

If I was a betting man... I wouldn’t touch predicting Lees podium finish. Wouldn’t surprise me if he went 1-2 and it wouldn’t surprise me if he somehow strung five wins together.

I honestly just feel bad for him. At 100% nobody is touching him. Elite athletes suffer greatly when they can’t be at their best. Tough tough year.

typical cesspool. first thing that was posted about FRL was a lie. then it goes into streaming issues.

if you guys were somewhere in the vicinity of rational, i'd respond with what i know.

but damn, you guys are so far gone.

truly don't care what you think anymore.

Again, did I miss Spencer rolling Picc for four minutes prior to the pin? If so I apologize. If not then it seems he was a shell of himself, which is the reason he lost.
PINNED. He lost , and why he lost is really know but certain folk want it to be a temporary issue that will get better. So far no one knows.

Willie you dont know shit. Your company is a joke. Didnt think i would ever cancel flowrestling but just did after i seen your guys latest ig post. Keep poking your subscribers.

I don't think it's anti-Iowa.

I do think, whether you all think they're journalists or not, they have a journalistic responsibility to report what they honestly believe with all known information. Barring some insider info, they really have to conclude that right now, Picc and Rivera are better.
LOL! If you don't know Jack about College Wrestling, this would be a logical conclusion.

Reactions: hoythawk
Didn't Ironside say Spencer was in the hospital at some point this year? Did Flo reach out to his doctors, do they know, for certain he's not sick?
What a joke.

While on the subject of Flo, who the hell writes their headlines? Go check out their current doozy "oh no Kyle, What is you doing?" Uh..what is you doing?

I mean, I get it and I guess they're trying to appeal to 15-20 year olds, but geez. I like what they're trying to accomplish and think it's good for the sport. It has the potential to be a really great thing. I think a overhaul of their entire staff is needed though. Maybe get some legit former wrestlers. National champs, All-americans and people who's opinion will actually be respected. Clearly you don't need to be a real journalist to work there anyway. Rant over.

typical cesspool. first thing that was posted about FRL was a lie. then it goes into streaming issues.

if you guys were somewhere in the vicinity of rational, i'd respond with what i know.

You guys are the media equivalent of HR and I mean that in the most respectful way.

You have to take FLO for what is is worth. They show a lot of events - A
They have prematch and post match videos/interviews - A
Pretty good films - A-
Streaming cuts out, events start late, etc - worse than any other medium around - D
Commentary/opinion pieces are meant to be controversial and generate clicks. Very little real informational content or true journalism - D

So watch the interviews, events and films you are interested in. Skip the PSU/Carl stroking and poking Hawk fans in the eye and you will enjoy their content. Getting sucked into their provocational drivel is just silly. They don’t even believe the misinformation and lies they throw out there to get extra clicks.

Last edited:

I try so hard to give you guys the benefit of the doubt and not pile on you here in the cesspool.

Then I listen to FRL, and you and Pyles say he UNEQUIVOCALLY is not sick like you sat in a f****** doctors appointment with him. Why even say this? What if at the end of the season we learn that there was something wrong with him? You just put yourselves in a ridiculous situation! Surely you understand this?

You have to take FLO for what is is worth. They show a lot of events - A
They have prematch and post match videos/interviews - A
Pretty good films - A-
Streaming cuts out, events start late, etc - worse than any other medium around - D
Commentary/opinion pieces are meant to be controversial and generate clicks. Very little real informational content or true journalism - D

So watch the interviews, events and films you are interested in. Skip the PSU/Carl stroking and poking Hawk fans in the eye and you will enjoy their content. Getting sucked into their provocational drivel is just silly. They don’t even believe the misinformation and lies they throw out there to get extra clicks.

I think most of the issue is that the HR believes that reporting PSU as the dominant program of the decade is "PSU/Carl stroking" and viewing Iowa as one of a couple of teams vying to be 2nd is "poking Hawk fans in the eye."

Perhaps they should dig deeper for the truth.

I try so hard to give you guys the benefit of the doubt and not pile on you here in the cesspool.

Then I listen to FRL, and you and Pyles say he UNEQUIVOCALLY is not sick like you sat in a f****** doctors appointment with him. Why even say this? What if at the end of the season we learn that there was something wrong with him? You just put yourselves in a ridiculous situation! Surely you understand this?
Playing devil advocate... What if they talked to Spencer and/or the coaches and they said he's not sick, he's healthy and doing fine. Should they not report that? The coaches or Spencer very well could be lying about everything to not give a competitive edge but Flo just might be reporting what they were told. I'm sure after the season more will come out on this.

This

Reactions: TarpHawk
Playing devil advocate... What if they talked to Spencer and/or the coaches and they said he's not sick, he's healthy and doing fine. Should they not report that? The coaches or Spencer very well could be lying about everything to not give a competitive edge but Flo just might be reporting what they were told. I'm sure after the season more will come out on this.
Could be, say he has a strained rotator cuff that doesn't really need surgery but isn't 100% and Lee thinks he can wrestle? Why tell the world and give people soemthing to attack?
Maybe he's just in a slump? It can happen.

Could be, say he has a strained rotator cuff that doesn't really need surgery but isn't 100% and Lee thinks he can wrestle? Why tell the world and give people soemthing to attack?
Maybe he's just in a slump? It can happen.
I guess it's possible but I just don't see it. Something is not right either physically or mentally but my guess is we won't find anything out until the season is over.

Last edited:
I think most of the issue is that the HR believes that reporting PSU as the dominant program of the decade is "PSU/Carl stroking" and viewing Iowa as one of a couple of teams vying to be 2nd is "poking Hawk fans in the eye."

Respectfully disagree. I believe most on here acknowledge that PSU has been the most dominant program over the last decade, get far and away the best recruits, and Iowa is fighting for second. I think few would argue that point.

Putting Guilibon #1 with no supporting evidence, putting Spencer in “the field”, saying Spencer isn’t sick - just isn’t that good is poking Iowa fans for clicks. Just a couple of many examples. I don’t think they dislike Iowa, but I do think they intentionally throw out untruths and idiotic statements/opinions to drive clicks. You think if DeSanto choked Fix there wouldn’t be an uproar at FLO? Fix chokes DeSanto - crickets.

Edit: If FLO has made a big deal of the Fix choke or I didn’t get the Guilibon and Lee facts correct, I apologize. I follow my own advise and don’t follow their “reporting”.

Last edited:

Because they are in competition for who is the biggest jackass. I’d give it to Pyles, he believes he is smarter than everyone. Something is physically wrong with Spencer, that is plain as day. To say he is 100% healthy, shows you aren’t paying attention.

My guess is they were fed some BS in Stillwater that everything is fine because it’s a tight lipped thing.
Yeah, this is the obvious answer. When has Iowa ever admitted a serious injury? Both McDonough and Clark's situations were incredibly tight-lipped. Same with Nick Moore. Even this year with Stoll they haven't said much.

I am surprised they decided to accept that so naively. This program is famous about it's obfuscation in regards to injury (as is Penn State), and you're just going to accept it when they say their guy is fine? Just kind of weird.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">And he’s not healthy whether people want to admit or not. I know that to be a fact. Don’t think he will win this year but expect the real Lee for JR/SR seasons.</p>&mdash; Kyle Bowlsby (@kbowlsby) <a href="">February 26, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you can't see Lee is not 100% than you are blind. Neither Lee nor Iowa university have to tell Flo or any of us fans what the hell is wrong. Even when season is over can keep it tight lipped. Just sit back and watch big tens and ncaa and let it play out. If then if they wish to talk about it fine if not then why should fans or Flo or any one give a dam. Done with my rant...

The problem with your kind of thinking is you view a board like this as a single entity instead of a group of individuals. You’ll see a couple of posts about something, then go back on FRL and act like that stance is a universal Hawkeye fan opinion.

I listened to the last couple of FRL’s and my recollection is that you all agreed he’s been looking fine. If this is incorrect you could post a transcript and trust enough folks are rational enough to see the truth.

Or you have Willie posting on BWI that the PSU fans are family and he comes to HR and posts sh*t like this thread.

No one is upset with Flo for saying PSU is #1. It's probably hard to see if you're not an Iowa fan, but for Iowa fans their anti Iowa bias has shown itself time and time again. Which is ok - Willie is a Pennsylvania guy. The whole staff are east coasters. But they act like we're delusional for calling out the bias.

Take a look at the Okie state dual as just one example. Warner gets run out bounds 10x CP isn't asking for stalling. Stoll does it 3x to okie hwt and they're saying it's stalling.

Look at the Spencer Lee "ducking" nonsense earlier this year. Spencer sits and Willie goes on a Twitter outrage. Your own boy @slushhead makes an entire thread to "track ducking" and it turns out the PSU guys dominated February missing ranked opponents. And then on FRL they mention PSU not wrestling but qualify it with "but Rasheed isn't healthy". Take the Gilman video and headline from Midlands a few years ago. Look at Nomad raging about Desanto's "bouncing Lizak's head off the mat" which didn't actually happen if you watch the film. Yet Nolf does it to the Buffalo kid and not a peep. (I loved what Nolf did to that kid btw).

Just time and time again it's apparent. Bias is fine to have - but they deny it consistently and call Iowa fans delusional for making the claim. I'll take Cyon over that. Was a clone and admits he doesn't like Iowa. He's not pretending.

They also take the opinion of an overwhelming minority - ie: the fire brands crowd (what was that, 3 people?) and then talk about it on FRL as if that's the consensus here.

Last edited:

Then state that's what coach said. The way they "reported" it, we have know idea who their source is.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Or you have Willie posting on BWI that the PSU fans are family and he comes to HR and posts sh*t like this thread.

No one is upset with Flo for saying PSU is #1. It's probably hard to see if you're not an Iowa fan, but for Iowa fans there anti Iowa bias has shown itself time and time again. Which is ok - Willie is a Pennsylvania guy. The whole staff are east coasters. But they act like we're delusional for calling out the bias.

Take a look at the Okie state dual as just one example. Warner gets run out bounds 10x CP isn't asking for stalling. Stoll does it 3x to okie hwt and they're saying it's stalling.

Look at the Spencer Lee "ducking" nonsense earlier this year. Spencer sits and Willie goes on a Twitter outrage. Your own boy @slushhead makes an entire thread to "track ducking" and it turns out the PSU guys dominated February missing ranked opponents. And then on FRL they mention PSU not wrestling but qualify it with "but Rasheed isn't healthy". Take the Gilman video and headline from Midlands a few years ago. Look at Nomad raging about Desanto's "bouncing Lizak's head off the mat" which didn't actually happen if you watch the film. Yet Nolf does it to the Buffalo kid and not a peep. (I loved what Nolf did to that kid btw).

Just time and time again it's apparent. Bias is fine to have - but they deny it consistently and call Iowa fans delusional for making the claim. I'll take Cyon over that. Was a clone and admits he doesn't like Iowa. He's not pretending.

They also take the opinion of an overwhelming minority - ie: the fire brands crowd (what was that, 3 people?) and then talk about it on FRL as if that's the consensus here.

Hey man, leave me out of your rant about Flo bias against Iowa. If you want to knock me for presenting an objective way of looking at the scene, continue doing so in that thread you cited. Then analyze the data and present your own thesis.

As for the Flo topic, I think everyone pretty much knows my feelings about how that operation is run.

Interestlingly, though, you state: "It's probably hard to see if you're not an Iowa fan, but for Iowa fans there anti Iowa bias has shown itself time and time again." You're essentially pointing the finger at yourself and saying the Iowa fans are biased in this assessment of Flo.

Hey man, leave me out of your rant about Flo bias against Iowa. If you want to knock me for presenting an objective way of looking at the scene, continue doing so in that thread you cited. Then analyze the data and present your own thesis.

As for the Flo topic, I think everyone pretty much knows my feelings about how that operation is run.

Interestlingly, though, you state: "It's probably hard to see if you're not an Iowa fan, but for Iowa fans there anti Iowa bias has shown itself time and time again." You're essentially pointing the finger at yourself and saying the Iowa fans are biased in this assessment of Flo.

I like you Slush. Not trying to knock you here. If every PSU fan who posted here was like you this site would be a lot better.

And in regards to bias - I don't think it's possible for any human to escape it. I'm biased, Flo's biased, PSU fans are biased. Iowa fan's are going to notice slights against Iowa more than PSU fans. That's my point.

Reactions: slushhead

That's my point and you're right. That's journalism.
I believe it was a tech/pin...correct? The ultimate in domination.

I don't subscribe to folks saying he got "caught." He put himself in that position. But he has put himself into bad positions before and been just fine. This time, he couldn't do anything about it. Kid hasn't been pinned since he was in the third grade...wins against have been measured in one or two points and usually decided at the end of a close match. He was probably giving up 10 to 15 pounds against Fix at Cadet Trials and it was still very close. He had what one could call a gassing moment late at Junior Worlds and was down by 4 or 5 points and came back to win it. But I guess both Northwestern and Okie State have developed some sort of spinach pills for their 125s.

This is as good an answer as I've seen.

Spencer isn't of this planet, and people saying he's gotten figured out, or guys have game planned him, they're just wrong. Spencer let's himself get cradled and pops out. For 9 months it was accepted (correctly) that you go under Spencer it's probably over. He's that good, and to think that Rivera or Picc unlocked something mystical, just stop.

He's not himself right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT