ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee wrestling.

Cross - that Twins idiot works for the CF website so gets paid to troll. Nice use of a degree I guess and sure his family is proud. I don’t mind trolling, I hate lying. I have some high level ISU donors that hate this Twins as he is what makes them the little brother with his Iowa obsession and they will forward me his posts sometimes. Yesterday was nice. Made fun of the “entitled ones ink.” That is reference to Patrick McCaffrey’s tatoo. Which of course he got called out on as it is a saying to his brother’s battle with cancer. Loved Best when his “Iowa sources” said Iowa football players were thinking of transferring because Kirk was racist. Like I said, there is trolling and hen there is 50k posts of total lies about Iowa that piss me off.

I have zero question about Lee’s mental toughness and desire to wrestle. The bigger concern imo is his durability given his history of illness and injury.
The current version of Spencer Lee resembles Matt McDonough's senior year, without the OBVIOUS physical injury. Clearly Spencer is not right, and I'm starting to believe he's not going to be.

Pure speculation on my part, but I think his International aspirations are wreaking havoc with his College aspirations, because as of today it looks like he should have redshirted.

Reactions: vhsalum
In 1988-89, didn't the spot for 118 not get settled until the end of the season?Steve Martin beat out Terry, but I don't remember if Terry got matches or not. I know Steve finished ahead of him at Midlands because he won in 1988.
Gable started Terry over 2-year starter Steve Martin in a dual against Oklahoma State in Feb 1989--Terry's RSF year, Martin's junior year. It was the same dual in which Tom majored Kendall Cross at 126. Terry beat Cory Baze decisively in the dual, which earned him a wrestle-off the following week with Martin. Martin won the wrestle-off, 2 matches to 0. Martin placed 7th at NCAAs that year.

The current version of Spencer Lee resembles Matt McDonough's senior year, without the OBVIOUS physical injury. Clearly Spencer is not right, and I'm starting to believe he's not going to be.

Pure speculation on my part, but I think his International aspirations are wreaking havoc with his College aspirations, because as of today it looks like he should have redshirted.
How do his international aspirations play into him being a totally different wrestler after he decisively beat Pat Glory and possibly contracted a serious illness. He obviously hasn’t had the stamina since then. He can barely walk off the mat after any of his wins.

Cross - that Twins idiot works for the CF website so gets paid to troll. Nice use of a degree I guess and sure his family is proud. I don’t mind trolling, I hate lying. I have some high level ISU donors that hate this Twins as he is what makes them the little brother with his Iowa obsession and they will forward me his posts sometimes. Yesterday was nice. Made fun of the “entitled ones ink.” That is reference to Patrick McCaffrey’s tatoo. Which of course he got called out on as it is a saying to his brother’s battle with cancer. Loved Best when his “Iowa sources” said Iowa football players were thinking of transferring because Kirk was racist. Like I said, there is trolling and hen there is 50k posts of total lies about Iowa that piss me off.

You know him?

How do his international aspirations play into him being a totally different wrestler after he decisively beat Pat Glory and possibly contracted a serious illness. He obviously hasn’t had the stamina since then. He can barely walk off the mat after any of his wins.
So you have a definitive timeframe of when his ailments started, based on one match with Pat Glory? Uuumm, OK.

He hasn't redshirted. There is an Olympics coming up in 2020. Do the math from there on all the possibilities that could apply to him specifically and it might come to you.

So you have a definitive timeframe of when his ailments started, based on one match with Pat Glory? Uuumm, OK.

He hasn't redshirted. There is an Olympics coming up in 2020. Do the math from there on all the possibilities that could apply to him specifically and it might come to you.

I’m confused, what exactly are you saying? That he should have redshirted this year? But he’s not because he wants to wrestle in the Olympics in 2020? Pure speculation on my part but I believe his ailments started after the Princeton dual and before the Purdue dual. I don’t think there is any way he would be granted a redshirt after competing in a few duals for an illness.

I’m not following any of your math. It’s been said by others that he was sick and is recovering from the illness. He looked pretty good in a tech fall win against Pat Glory. Then he’s sat out of the Purdue dual with Robert Howard in town. Only wrestles against ISU to help the team and from that match on he’s not looked himself. What does his international career have to do with that math.

I believe someone close to the program said he would have redshirted had he gotten sick a couple weeks earlier. Instead of speculating just lay out your conspiracy theory.

Reactions: Gobblin
I’m confused, what exactly are you saying? That he should have redshirted this year? But he’s not because he wants to wrestle in the Olympics in 2020? Pure speculation on my part but I believe his ailments started after the Princeton dual and before the Purdue dual. I don’t think there is any way he would be granted a redshirt after competing in a few duals for an illness.
I'm suggesting his issues all started before the season did, regardless of how he looked early on. Like you and others inluding me, we don't really know, we're all basing it on eye tests after certain matches. I am making the assumption he could have called it a year after a few matches and rolled the dice on another year for medical reasons later on if so desired. (similar to what Stoll could do and maybe Kem) Or if he was seriously sick prior to the season, then wait and see perhaps.

Because of his obvious Freestlye acumen, he is probably playing a bit of a chess match with his eligibility and when would be the best time to use his non-Olympic red-shirt, if at all. Point being, he has more options than most. How long does he want to be a student-athlete, etc.

If he stays completely healthy all the way along thru his Iowa career, then whatever "the plan" was, might go off without a hitch. He's most assuredly not completely healthy, so as of today they might be questioning if he should have taken a red-shirt.

I'm not questioning anything or anybody for letting him go, I'm just concerned right now that he won't have what it takes to win a tough tournament in March if his condition doesn't improve. People keep saying it like it will just magically happen. From a medical standpoint, that just MAY not be how it plays out. Hope is not a strategy, that's all.

I'm concerned for the kid in his quest to be a 4 timer. That's what it amounts to I guess.

Reactions: CumberlandHawk
I’m not following any of your math. It’s been said by others that he was sick and is recovering from the illness. He looked pretty good in a tech fall win against Pat Glory. Then he’s sat out of the Purdue dual with Robert Howard in town. Only wrestles against ISU to help the team and from that match on he’s not looked himself. What does his international career have to do with that math.

I believe someone close to the program said he would have redshirted had he gotten sick a couple weeks earlier. Instead of speculating just lay out your conspiracy theory.
I have not heard anyone suggest he would have redshirted if he got sick earlier. That might be true, but I don't recall that being mentioned anywhere, other than Ironside speaking of it, but I don't think he specified any timeframe.

I have not heard anyone suggest he would have redshirted if he got sick earlier. That might be true, but I don't recall that being mentioned anywhere, other than Ironside speaking of it, but I don't think he specified any timeframe.

It was suggested here in this thread that if it happened earlier then he likely would have redshirted. I don’t believe his freestyle aspirations have anything to do with it and they weren’t willing to “roll the dice” with his eligibility by pulling him when there is no guarantee that he would be granted a medical redshirt this year.

Reactions: ff141

Can he drop all his classes now like the kid from PS and that would wipe out the whole year and then still have 3 years of eligibility left? Call Cael and see?

It was suggested here in this thread that if it happened earlier then he likely would have redshirted. I don’t believe his freestyle aspirations have anything to do with it and they weren’t willing to “roll the dice” with his eligibility by pulling him when there is no guarantee that he would be granted a medical redshirt this year.
Suggested by whom? Tom Brands? Spencer Lee? His parents? That's the thing, us minions don't know the timeframe. His situation is different from the rest of the team in just about every measure, which is why there is some "calculated risk" involved in possible red-shirt scenarios.

1. He is the only guy we have who didn't red-shirt. So he has that in his pocket.

2. He is our only guy on pace to be a 4 Timer.

3. He is the only guy we have who has a legitimate shot to make the 2020 Olympic Team if he so desires.

That's a lot to think about around a 4-5 year timeframe as a Collegiate Wrestler, with a long drought Team Title possibility thrown in the mix to boot during his time in Iowa City. We can't do it without him at this time, I'm 100% convinced of that.

That's a lot to plan for, and injuries and illness you can't foresee down the road obviously. Just hope it all works out for him.

Yes Gonzo I do and he is hated by 90 percent of the big donors due to his Iowa obsession as it does nothing but prove ISU is the little brother. His new rumor “from sources” is one of Iowa’s biggest boosters is going to stop giving because Iowa was bringing in another punter which might displace the booster’s kid as Iowa’s punter. Trolling is fine and the way things are now it is acceptable. He also is positing AD videos and “rumors Stoll was gonna do something similar until he got worked.” Sad. But Flat lying and disparaging and calling people racist and trying to influence kids due to an Iowa hatred is unacceptable to me. I cannot believe CF allows him to operate except they need the clicks. Which is sad as well. I know ISU people that won’t go over there because of this idiot who has 50k posts basically all about-Iowa. And he is a non-athlete pud BTW. Never seen a field or a mat but feels qualified to rip on kid athletes and their mentality. Sick really.

Suggested by whom? Tom Brands? Spencer Lee? His parents? That's the thing, us minions don't know the timeframe. His situation is different from the rest of the team in just about every measure, which is why there is some "calculated risk" involved in possible red-shirt scenarios.

1. He is the only guy we have who didn't red-shirt. So he has that in his pocket.

2. He is our only guy on pace to be a 4 Timer.

3. He is the only guy we have who has a legitimate shot to make the 2020 Olympic Team if he so desires.

That's a lot to think about around a 4-5 year timeframe as a Collegiate Wrestler, with a long drought Team Title possibility thrown in the mix to boot during his time in Iowa City. We can't do it without him at this time, I'm 100% convinced of that.

That's a lot to plan for, and injuries and illness you can't foresee down the road obviously. Just hope it all works out for him.

Fair enough, but back to your original point that his freestyle aspirations are getting in the way of his college aspirations. I don’t believe that is the reason he’s not redshirting this year, nor do I believe this is something that happened before the season started.

Fair enough, but back to your original point that his freestyle aspirations are getting in the way of his college aspirations. I don’t believe that is the reason he’s not redshirting this year, nor do I believe this is something that happened before the season started.
Fair enough, but we don't know. Believe whatever you want (you could be right, but I wouldnt bet the farm on it).

The combo of Free and Folk aren't "getting in the way" per say, but it's a factor without question.

He and his family and Iowa have to juggle a lot to make it all work out in the best way for him, and ultimately Iowa. The Olympic scenario is definitely part of that, something few Collegians have to worry about, and certainly nobody else at Iowa. Tough decisions I'm sure.

If the rest of the season plays out like we Iowa fans all hope it does, then all my hand wringing and consternation will be for naught, which I'm all for. He is capable of beating most @ 75%, but in a tourney scenario with better competition that gets tougher, a lot tougher.

Fair enough, but we don't know. Believe whatever you want (you could be right, but I wouldnt bet the farm on it).

The combo of Free and Folk aren't "getting in the way" per say, but it's a factor without question.

He and his family and Iowa have to juggle a lot to make it all work out in the best way for him, and ultimately Iowa. The Olympic scenario is definitely part of that, something few Collegians have to worry about, and certainly nobody else at Iowa. Tough decisions I'm sure.

If the rest of the season plays out like we Iowa fans all hope it does, then all my hand wringing and consternation will be for naught, which I'm all for. He is capable of beating most @ 75%, but in a tourney scenario with better competition that gets tougher, a lot tougher.
If he was sick before the season why would they not use his redshirt as some have speculated?

If he was sick before the season why would they not use his redshirt as some have speculated?
What's wrong with him? Find that out, call a Doctor and get his opinion and you'll have your answer.

Missed the meet yesterday. He won decisively. Did he not looked better?
Yes, but he truly faded at the end. He only needed one more point for the tech and the last minute he basically laid on the guy, kept looking at the clock, and even closed his eyes at one point. He was completely gassed.

Yes, but he truly faded at the end. He only needed one more point for the tech and the last minute he basically laid on the guy, kept looking at the clock, and even closed his eyes at one point. He was completely gassed.
Battling something.. he is a warrior though... whatever he has he is working through it. Like many on here we don't wonder if he will be better it's WHEN.

Reactions: #10Hawk
It is all reff's fault, Spencer pinned him twice earlier in the match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT