ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer vs. RBY

I think RBY would beat him more often than not in folk. He is just so comfortable in all positions and scrambles. The way to beat Lee is to avoid the 1st period takedown. RBY is an active staller and probably could avoid it. In FS, Lee wins most of time. I think Lee has much tougher FS matchups in Gilman and Fix.
Most of the singles DeSanto was in on this year would have been finished by Lee. Lee finishes as well as RBY

Most of the singles DeSanto was in on this year would have been finished by Lee. Lee finishes as well as RBY
This is why I am so confident. Ads finally got a second attack on RBY and consistently had both legs, but got his head stuffed and was afraid of getting out scrambled and settled for a restart (giving up the neutral danger TD was just chefs kiss of all of it). I will go to my grave believing that if ADS gets his head to the outside just once, for a single TD at any point this year the dam would have broke and the matches would be significantly different.

I think RBY would beat him more often than not in folk. He is just so comfortable in all positions and scrambles. The way to beat Lee is to avoid the 1st period takedown. RBY is an active staller and probably could avoid it. In FS, Lee wins most of time. I think Lee has much tougher FS matchups in Gilman and Fix.
I don’t think it would even be close in folk style if both are healthy. One hand behind the back won’t work against SL. RBY would have nothing a healthy Spencer Lee couldn’t squash.

Lol I’ve seen Spencer take multiple NCAA losses to SeaBass, Nato, Bresser and Piccininni. Not exactly world beaters.

He’s not the unbeatable demigod you all think he is and RBY presents stylistic problems.

This match also never happens. Rby has brought up wrestling Spencer but Spencer isn’t bumping up to face him.

Lol I’ve seen Spencer take multiple NCAA losses to SeaBass, Nato, Bresser and Piccininni. Not exactly world beaters.

He’s not the unbeatable demigod you all think he is and RBY presents stylistic problems.

This match also never happens. Rby has brought up wrestling Spencer but Spencer isn’t bumping up to face him.
Whats the stylistic problem? Running away the entire match?

That sounds good for the future however I don't think it'll ever happen. RBY just mentioned in his interview that the lightest he got was 131 lbs. Hell I'm pretty sure he said he weighed 145 lbs in his last match with Desanto. If that's the case I don't ever see him and Spencer at the same weight. I think its safe to speculate that Spencer will be at 57 and RBY at 65 in freestyle.

Reactions: 24 so far
Ok, fair enough. i guess you are just an idiot then, bc RBY isn't beating a healthy Lee. He only beat ads because he could counter ads main move (by not actually wrestling), and that was already hampered by the hand injury. Lee is more diverse in his attacks, and finishes once he gets his hands on guys

Those are my thoughts. RBY has no way to take Lee down, and Spencer is too good/multi-dimensional on his feet for RBY to avoid being taken down. And on the mat it would be lights out. Hell, Austin was getting close to riding time in their last match, which would have changed everything. Imagine what Spencer would do on top.

I’ve seen rby lose more than that but hey, who’s counting? Also funny that you say rby has brought up wrestling Spencer but then say Spencer isn’t bumping up to face him…you’re just one big contradicting sack of shite, aren’t you?

Those are my thoughts. RBY has no way to take Lee down, and Spencer is too good/multi-dimensional on his feet for RBY to avoid being taken down. And on the mat it would be lights out. Hell, Austin was getting close to riding time in their last match, which would have changed everything. Imagine what Spencer would do on top.
It's been a minute for Spencer facing an elite college wrestler. I don't consider Picc elite, so this might go back to Seabass in 2019 and even he never made it to Saturday night. It would be an epic must watch battle, but I'm afraid we'll be left to wonder what it would look like. Hopefully, Spencer can make a full recovery and bring home the gold.

Reactions: el dub

Stylistic problems? All biases asides, what position does RBY score from. Is RBY going to keep Spencer from scoring? Spencer’s only points are going to come from escapes? Please, be poignant, and explain.
No name calling, just your best wrestling analysis on how RBY defeats Lee.

Reactions: just_somebody
Wait, what? I know you’re a troll but come on. Spencer has done what he’s done in college while very seriously injured. 2 hodge’s and 3 out of 3 natty’s. Can’t say the same for gable. And I’m one who thinks gable is number 1 p4p in college. But not in the same galaxy? You’ve got meth mouth like the rest of the people in Mizzou.

Spencer healthy and training fully beats anyone at 125/133 fairly easy, yes he is that good. Nobody touches him in freestyle at 57kg , he will make our best guys hang it up very soon. By the way RBY would get smoked at 61kg I hope he wrestles free so his BS gets exposed.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I’ve seen rby lose more than that but hey, who’s counting? Also funny that you say rby has brought up wrestling Spencer but then say Spencer isn’t bumping up to face him…you’re just one big contradicting sack of shite, aren’t you?
Yea that is correct. RBY has mentioned in interviews he’d like to face Spencer. Highly doubt Spencer jumps up in weight to wrestle a one off match like that. Nothing contradictory there, that’s basic English.

Are you the fat guy that’s pointing in the Austin Gomez pic? If so, I’d understand.

RBY has lost to Austin Gomez, Ben Thornton, Luke Pletcher, John Erneste, and Ethan Lizak. I suppose those guys are world beaters?

Yea that is correct. RBY has mentioned in interviews he’d like to face Spencer. Highly doubt Spencer jumps up in weight to wrestle a one off match like that. Nothing contradictory there, that’s basic English.

Are you the fat guy that’s pointing in the Austin Gomez pic? If so, I’d understand.
Boy, you’re some special kind of stupid. I’ll spell it out for you. So, rby mentions wrestling Spencer but Spencer should jump up in weight to wrestle him? It wasn’t Spencer who said it, but rby. And yet, Spencer should jump up…hmmm. And how many losses does rby have? Just curious.

Reactions: Spoons and MVPFAN
RBY has lost to Austin Gomez, Ben Thornton, Luke Pletcher, John Erneste, and Ethan Lizak. I suppose those guys are world beaters?
Yeah…his list isn’t too insulting to Spencer either, I don’t think. Nato went 1-3-3-3. And Spencer should’ve been 3-1 against seabass. Plus, seabass beat a lot of national champs…spencer, gross anddddd you guessed it RBY!!! Haha. He also should’ve beaten nick lee except he had a stroke on top in their first meeting. As for Spencer, The bresser loss was questionable with no challenge as a redshirt and the picc loss was borderline bad but spencer was what, 5-1 against him?? Yeah. That dude is a dunce.

RBY had more takedowns than ADS in less matches.
On the season?

RBY is a career 44% bonus guy. (ADS is 50%; Spencer is 80%).

Id have to go back and look at the 7-2 and 12-8 matches, but RBY's win streak, i think exactly 1 he has gotten more than 1 TD in a match vs ADS. Their career take downs of each other are much closer than their records.

---
Also, RBY has lost to SeaBass more recently than Lee has.

----

I do want to state that I appreciate RBY as a wrestler, and any of my talk about him 'only beating ADS bc of' doesn't give RBY enough respect - he had a game plan that has won 5 times in a row.. with nearly the exact same blueprint each time, but with a slightly decreasing margin of error.

My point was that ADS went basically 2 years without being able to take RBY down; had he solved that riddle, even just once, it might have shifted the dynamic and possibly made RBY reconsider strategy.

The fact is RBY hasn't lost in two years, and thats all the matters. He's a a skilled, exciting (at least when he actual wrestles) guy that I would have loved in the black and gold.

None of that changes the fact that he'd get beat by Lee 9 times out of 10

I don't recall anyone labeling RBY a once in a generation wrestler. He's clearly improved on bottom and from his feet. I guess a 100-1 or something like that TD ratio is ok this season.

I don't recall anyone labeling RBY a once in a generation wrestler. He's clearly improved on bottom and from his feet. I guess a 100-1 or something like that TD ratio is ok this season.
I was responding to the guy who lol'd that Spencer had losses to NATO, Seabass, Picc, and Bresser.

Reactions: Chris92

3 messages total. It’s not hard to spot a troll. You can’t even answer basic questions about wrestling. You’ve earned an ignore status.

One acl’d Spencer wins this but it’s probably close because that’s what RBY does. I’m freestyle be techs him pretty fast lol.
Still amazing how he could hardly move and he dominated the tournament last year lol. Crazy.

Now that Desanto is gone, still sucks, maybe we can see Spencer jump up and take on some 133s. Would be f*n

I was responding to the guy who lol'd that Spencer had losses to NATO, Seabass, Picc, and Bresser.
Never said RBY is a generational talent and that he didn’t have losses either. Only difference is I have realistic expectations on how the match goes. Not wearing black and gold goggles like the guys on here that think Lee would tech RBY. That’s a laughable take. Lee isn’t winning by tech. He’s not even doing that to Brandon Courtney or Pat Glory. Pointing out his losses was only to show he is not unbeatable.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Never said RBY is a generational talent and that he didn’t have losses either. Only difference is I have realistic expectations on how the match goes. Not wearing black and gold goggles like the guys on here that think Lee would tech RBY. That’s a laughable take. Lee isn’t winning by tech. He’s not even doing that to Brandon Courtney or Pat Glory. Pointing out his losses was only to show he is not unbeatable.
Aside from the fact that Spencer did tech Glory, spot on take.

Spencer wins in boring low scoring match but controls entire 7 min. Typical for a PSU loss.

For all this talk about rby stalling we should probably acknowledge the fact that he scored over twice as many match points at ncaas as iowa's only finalist this year in warner.
He didn’t wrestle Spencer every match. Which, was the question asked for this thread.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
And just to add, not a knock on anyone, but my oldest boy (6 years old) who loves wrestling, hates watching college wrestling but watches high school, jr high, etc religiously. Ncaa bores him, and me.

How would this match go down.
Spencer would have to eat for several months to get to 133 IMO; he always seems like the smallest - though clearly the baddest - 125 pounder on the mat. Giving up that percentage of weight would be huge. I'd pay to see a healthy Spencer wrestle up a weight, but the Lee that won the championship against Brandon Courtney would not have a good time against RBY. He'd be giving up weight and quickness, and even with his incredible power I'm just not seeing it. Lee truly is amazing - and then some - and the Lee that won the first two NCAA championships would be fun to watch against any of the 133 pounders. Back to RBY, like him or hate him, the kid has the goods...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT