ADVERTISEMENT

Spoke with an Indiana coach

kwik44

HR Legend
Gold Member
Mar 6, 2003
In Dallas this weekend while at the rooftop pool of hotel. Got to talking about the first game, the Hawks, and just college football climate in general.

He said they envy Iowa football over there because their style is "so damn simple but very complicated at the same time". Brought up Fant & Hockenson right away in that they were a nightmare combo for them. Mentioned that they were currently hard scouting on "15, dude is league soon". Mad respect for Kirk & program, then that they are hoping for the best; I reiterated same thing that Indiana is going to be a tough game for Iowa.

He didn't like the idea of early conference games, or the Friday games. Need non con prep for brutal league and Friday's are for HS.

Recruiting is a crazy world with a lot of hand holding - not like it used to be when you were brought in and dogged every day to the brink of quitting. Told of a player recently having a big surgery and he had to be there for the player for whatever he needed because the parents weren't interested. His main focus is to get these kids to trust him, get them coached up on life & skills, and prepare them for the league if possible.

In regards to Juan Harris, pretty much what we already knew, I'll leave it at that.

For Iowa game, again, nervous and *sounded* like they didn't expect to stop anyone, or at least have concerns along the D-line; just score a ton of points. Basically, it's up to their d-line play if they want to stop the run or not.

Thought I'd share as I know I like reading these types of interactions.

Last edited:
So, we have a returning all American at linebacker, a returning all American at corner, two more all big ten teamers in the secondary, bring in a former top 100 kid from Auburn on the defensive line, a 2nd team MAC selection on the defensive line, every linebacker from last year, all our ends.

The only major contributors we're losing is Jerome Johnson and Jamar Johnson on defense and also gain Marcelono Ball and Raheem Layne, both coming back from injury who were gonna be in the lineup last year.

And the supposed coach thinks our defense won't stop anyone?

Yeah, not buying this one. If you had left the defense part out, maybe, but a Indiana coach saying that we won't stop anyone when that's what Tom Allen teams are known for is crazy.

So, we have a returning all American at linebacker, a returning all American at corner, two more all big ten teamers in the secondary, bring in a former top 100 kid from Auburn on the defensive line, a 2nd team MAC selection on the defensive line, every linebacker from last year, all our ends.

The only major contributors we're losing is Jerome Johnson and Jamar Johnson on defense and also gain Marcelono Ball and Raheem Layne, both coming back from injury who were gonna be in the lineup last year.

Yeah, not buying this one. If you had left the defense part out, maybe, but a Indiana coach saying that we won't stop anyone when that's what Tom Allen teams are known for is crazy.
C'mon man. Hawks are gonna put 45 up on you guys!

Indiana was only ranked 59 in scoring offense in 2020. Yikes!

Indiana's secondary led the entire country in interceptions last year with 17, their defense also led the B1G in sacks. They were 4th in scoring D despite having easily the toughest defensive schedule in the league (they played Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan who were all top 5 in Offense scoring). You can make a very strong argument that they may have had the best D in the entire conference. THEY RETURN NINE STARTERS ON DEFENSE including a first team All American CB who might be the best defensive player in the league, so they don't expect to stop anyone? Makes total sense....

Last weekend was also the biggest recruiting weekend maybe EVER considering it was the first one in over a year where visits were allowed, I'm sure Indiana's entire staff was a thousand miles from campus lounging at a rooftop pool though on the biggest recruiting Saturday in maybe the entire history of the B1G!!!

Please keep this top secret info coming, maybe put in on the premium board next time though so nobody else finds out about it and we can secretly funnel it to Kirk....

Scoring Defense
IndexTeamGTDFGXPT2XPDXPSAFPTSAVG/G
1Northwestern914161100014315.9
2Iowa81731510012816.0
3Wisconsin71551320012217.4
4Indiana82151720016220.3
5Ohio State82772100120625.8
6Penn State931102920024927.7
7Nebraska827152610023529.4
8Purdue62292000017929.8
9Minnesota72852610021130.1
10Maryland52071510116032.0
11Rutgers936123500128932.1
12Michigan62682510020734.5
13Illinois83773410027934.9
14Michigan State73273110024635.1

Sacks By
IndexTeamGNOYDS
1Indiana825160
2Iowa822153
3Rutgers921120
4Ohio State821129
5Penn State921146
6Illinois818127
7Northwestern914112
8Maryland51499
9Nebraska813100
10Michigan State71271
11Wisconsin71162
12Michigan6967
13Minnesota7854
14Purdue6530

10. INDIANA

The ball production has been bananas from this Indiana secondary. Their corners and safeties lead the FBS in interceptions since they began their season in Week 8 with 13 and have the fifth-most forced incompletions among Power 5 schools in that span with 22. That has helped them earn the 13th-best coverage grade in the FBS since then. Defensive coordinator Kane Wommack has had this secondary play one of the more diverse sets of coverages (one of just 22 FBS schools that hasn’t played one coverage more than 25% of the time), and it’s clearly paying off.

Cornerback Tiawan Mullen has been building off a strong true freshman campaign with under 40 yards allowed in all seven of his starts in 2020. He has also improved over his last four starts, as he is one of the 10 highest-graded corners since Week 11. Along with Mullen, IU has had one of the top-performing free safeties in the country with Jamar Johnson. His coverage grade when playing deep safety is the best in the Power 5.

First-Team Defense
DL
Zach Harrison, Ohio State
DL Haskell Garrett, Ohio State
DL Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan
DL George Karlaftis, Purdue
LB Micah McFadden, Indiana
LB
Olakunle Fatukasi, Rutgers
LB Jack Sanborn, Wisconsin
CB Tiawan Mullen, Indiana
CB
Cam Taylor-Britt, Nebraska
S Jaquan Brisker, Penn State
S Brandon Joseph, Northwestern

5. MICAH MCFADDEN, INDIANA

McFadden is the best blitzing off-ball linebacker in college football, and the Hoosiers will continue to take advantage of that despite the departure of former defensive coordinator Kane Wommack (now head coach at South Alabama). McFadden rushed the passer on close to 28% of his pass snaps in 2019, coming away with an 81.9 pass-rush grade. In 2020, that rate jumped to over 44%, and his pass-rush grade skyrocketed to 90.8.

He did that while showing major growth in coverage and as a tackler, which was his downfall in 2019. McFadden went from missing a tackle on 27% of his attempts in 2019 to just 13% of the time in 2020. And all of his misses in 2020 came in two games (Penn State and Ohio State).

Last edited:
Reactions: Simbahawk4
Indiana's secondary led the entire country in interceptions last year with 17, their defense also led the B1G in sacks. They were 4th in scoring D despite having easily the toughest defensive schedule in the league (they played Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan who were all top 5 in Offense scoring). You can make a very strong argument that they may have had the best D in the entire conference. THEY RETURN NINE STARTERS ON DEFENSE including a first team All American CB who might be the best defensive player in the league, so they don't expect to stop anyone? Makes total sense....

Last weekend was also the biggest recruiting weekend maybe EVER considering it was the first one in over a year where visits were allowed, I'm sure Indiana's entire staff was a thousand miles from campus lounging at a rooftop pool though on the biggest recruiting Saturday in maybe the entire history of the B1G!!!

Please keep this top secret info coming, maybe put in on the premium board next time though so nobody else finds out about it and we can secretly funnel it to Kirk....

Scoring Defense
IndexTeamGTDFGXPT2XPDXPSAFPTSAVG/G
1Northwestern914161100014315.9
2Iowa81731510012816.0
3Wisconsin71551320012217.4
4Indiana82151720016220.3
5Ohio State82772100120625.8
6Penn State931102920024927.7
7Nebraska827152610023529.4
8Purdue62292000017929.8
9Minnesota72852610021130.1
10Maryland52071510116032.0
11Rutgers936123500128932.1
12Michigan62682510020734.5
13Illinois83773410027934.9
14Michigan State73273110024635.1

Sacks By
IndexTeamGNOYDS
1Indiana825160
2Iowa822153
3Rutgers921120
4Ohio State821129
5Penn State921146
6Illinois818127
7Northwestern914112
8Maryland51499
9Nebraska813100
10Michigan State71271
11Wisconsin71162
12Michigan6967
13Minnesota7854
14Purdue6530

10. INDIANA

The ball production has been bananas from this Indiana secondary. Their corners and safeties lead the FBS in interceptions since they began their season in Week 8 with 13 and have the fifth-most forced incompletions among Power 5 schools in that span with 22. That has helped them earn the 13th-best coverage grade in the FBS since then. Defensive coordinator Kane Wommack has had this secondary play one of the more diverse sets of coverages (one of just 22 FBS schools that hasn’t played one coverage more than 25% of the time), and it’s clearly paying off.

Cornerback Tiawan Mullen has been building off a strong true freshman campaign with under 40 yards allowed in all seven of his starts in 2020. He has also improved over his last four starts, as he is one of the 10 highest-graded corners since Week 11. Along with Mullen, IU has had one of the top-performing free safeties in the country with Jamar Johnson. His coverage grade when playing deep safety is the best in the Power 5.

We ain't scared.

Reactions: herkhatescy

I live in Indy and kind of agree with this. My only chuckle is my IU friends here are all circling this game like Iowa is getting crushed.
I have to remind them Allen is a good coach but our staff has been doing this for 20+ years and our DC is pretty 💰💰💰.

Take the under as both D's, today, are pretty good.

I live in Indy and kind of agree with this. My only chuckle is my IU friends here are all circling this game like Iowa is getting crushed.
I have to remind them Allen is a good coach but our staff has been doing this for 20+ years and our DC is pretty 💰💰💰.

Their season gonna get wrecked right out of the gate. Those poor bastards on that sideline ain't gonna be able to hear themselves think. Covid year + Beer + First game + 2:30pm start = God almighty it will be a shit kicker

Point remains, and reiterating what he said about D line will be the reason they may give it up on the ground. Did mention the transfers, too.

43rd in total D is ok, btw, but not 8th.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1

Are you actually trying to deny that one of your coaches was in Dallas at a rooftop pool on the biggest recruiting weekend in well over a year? How stupid do you think we are LOOSIER? He was there and spilled the beans, you're screwed.....

Who is the AA at LB?

Jerome Johnson was 2nd on the team in sacks and Jamar Johnson was 2nd on the team in total tackles so those seem like significant losses.

Its gonna be ok, calm down.
Great post, thanks for sharing.

Like hearing they are going to be shaky on defense.

LMFAO, I couldn't care less, I think it's absolutely hilarious you actually fell for this patently absurd fairy tale that is obviously ridiculous to anyone who follows the B1G.

FYI, I happened to run into Ryan Day last weekend at a rooftop pool in Miami Beach. Coach Day can barely sleep at night worrying about their lack of talent in their wide receiver room and at offensive tackle, so they don't expect to be able to pass the ball on anyone this year and are just planning on stopping teams on D. I'm only sharing because I know you'll like to hear it...

• Haha
Reactions: weeterkane
LMFAO, I couldn't care less, I think it's absolutely hilarious you actually fell for this patently absurd fairy tale that is obviously ridiculous to anyone who follows the B1G.

FYI, I happened to run into Ryan Day last weekend at a rooftop pool in Miami Beach. Coach Day can barely sleep at night worrying about their lack of talent in their wide receiver room and at offensive tackle, so they don't expect to be able to pass the ball on anyone this year and are just planning on stopping teams on D. I'm only sharing because I know you'll like to hear it...

Day was in Columbus last weekend. I saw pictures of Nwankpa on Twitter with Day during his official visit.

Day was in Columbus last weekend. I saw pictures of Nwankpa on Twitter with Day during his official visit.
Brilliant Sherlock, every NCAA coach in the country was in fact on campus last weekend for the biggest recruiting weekend of the year with the obvious exception of Indianas mystery coach who for some strange reason had no idea they are returning one of their best defenses in school history that is projected to easily be one of the leagues best.

Reactions: weeterkane
Brilliant Sherlock, every NCAA coach in the country was in fact on campus last weekend for the biggest recruiting weekend of the year with the obvious exception of Indianas mystery coach who for some strange reason had no idea they are returning one of their best defenses in school history that is projected to easily be one of the leagues best.

You mean Indiana wouldn't send any coaches to the Dallas showcase last weekend even though the Hoosiers logo is on this?

He was solo, but out with college buddy and his wife & kid. Yes, he was out recruiting.

You think current coaches from the B1G are going to be at SONNY DYKES FOOTBALL CAMP on the biggest on campus recruiting weekend ever.

JFC you’re an imbecile. It probably means former players for those schools are counselors.

B1G schools have their own camps going on right now and you think they’re sending coaches to SMU?!?!?

LMFAO!!!!

You should probably just take the L and move on. You are looking really stupid right now.

And mystery coach doesn’t know they have one of the best D’s in school history returning?

What a joke…

I wonder if mystery coach tells their two returning defensive All Americans “they don't expect to stop anyone.”

Last edited:
And mystery coach doesn’t know they have one of the best D’s in school history returning?

What a joke…

It looks like the only person on this board that is making up encounters with college coaches in rooftop pools is you. What a strange thing to lie about.

The IU tight ends coach literally tweeted they were out all over the country right now on June 5th but you still doubled down and said they were all back on campus.

Who is the AA at LB?

Jerome Johnson was 2nd on the team in sacks and Jamar Johnson was 2nd on the team in total tackles so those seem like significant losses.

Micah Mcfadden

I acknowledged we lost both Jerome and Jamar, but we're not the hoosiers of old. We've got actual depth now, so when someone goes down, we don't have a big drop-off.

Like I said, defense isn't the issue for a Tom Allen coached team.

We didn't have visitors last weekend.

We were out at camps in Florida, Michigan and Texas, so yes, we were in Dallas because we sent offers out.

Micah Mcfadden

I acknowledged we lost both Jerome and Jamar, but we're not the hoosiers of old. We've got actual depth now, so when someone goes down, we don't have a big drop-off.

Like I said, defense isn't the issue for a Tom Allen coached team.

Oh, you were talking 3rd team AA. Not bad for IU I guess.

It's gonna be a good game for sure.

I seriously doubt that a coach from Indiana would say that out defense is gonna struggle to stop anyone and out offense will have to carry us.

That's the part of the story I find absolutely insane.

Are you actually trying to deny that one of your coaches was in Dallas at a rooftop pool on the biggest recruiting weekend in well over a year? How stupid do you think we are LOOSIER? He was there and spilled the beans, you're screwed.....

What a joke…

I wonder if mystery coach tells their two returning defensive All Americans “they don't expect to stop anyone.”

Imagine being this worked up over something you were so uneducated about.

Did you tell that coach their offense better be working on dealing with noise? And that fans on that side will scream about their mothers?

Did you tell that coach their offense better be working on dealing with noise? And that fans on that side will scream about their mothers?

Funny you mentioned that. The buddy he was with went on several power 5 visits - OSU, Texas, etc...he went to Iowa early in his HS days to visit a friend and said atmosphere and Iowa City was crazy; he liked it a lot up there. Wound up elsewhere, but noted Iowa City was a great time.

Coach asked where I sat and said west stands. "Directly behind? Cause those bleachers behind us are crazy. Can't hear anything". I laughed and said we take pride in that. Then he asked where I was from in relation to the "wave"; is a cool thing you guys do.

Also would like to add he didn't say they didn't expect to stop anyone verbatim, just that from what I gathered it sounded like the Run D could be an issue. Secondary & Linebacker unit is rock solid.

Very positive interaction and IU is lucky to have this guy as a coach.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT