ADVERTISEMENT

Spoke with an Indiana coach

I lived in Indiana for 15 years and football is very much an after thought to basketball there. They are lucky to fill half of the stadium on a home Saturday, but it is close to impossible to get a basketball ticket unless you know someone. Their athletic director prayed for games with teams such as Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Ohio State to get a lot more revenue from home football games. Their football has been terrible for years, but lately has shown some life. Their football history is pale in comparison to Iowa's. I can tell you that all of my friends in Indiana would agree with that statement.
My aunt and uncle lived in IN for many years. They supported IN sports, my cousin graduated from IN. My uncle would laugh whenever I asked him about IN football, especially in October or later. Very proud of IN basketball until the Bobby Knight incidents started to occur.

I lived in Indiana for 15 years and football is very much an after thought to basketball there. They are lucky to fill half of the stadium on a home Saturday, but it is close to impossible to get a basketball ticket unless you know someone. Their athletic director prayed for games with teams such as Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Ohio State to get a lot more revenue from home football games. Their football has been terrible for years, but lately has shown some life. Their football history is pale in comparison to Iowa's. I can tell you that all of my friends in Indiana would agree with that statement.
IU averages more than half of the stadium from season tickets alone. 2019 avg was 37K (30K go in) sold and season tix are up 26% for this season. The only program that brings a lot of fans is Ahia and they don't bring as many as they used to. They used to bring 20K of the most obnoxious fans you can imagine. Thank god IU fans stopped selling them their seats.

IU averages more than half of the stadium from season tickets alone. 2019 avg was 37K (30K go in) sold and season tix are up 26% for this season. The only program that brings a lot of fans is Ahia and they don't bring as many as they used to. They used to bring 20K of the most obnoxious fans you can imagine. Thank god IU fans stopped selling them their seats.
Starting from such a low point improvement is a little easier to achieve.

I’ve been to every IOWA v IU game for the last 12 years. My wife is a proud Indiana alum, but the football culture in IU is by far the worst in the conference. I commend Tom Allen for bringing them back to respectable, but it is their fan base that needs to change more then their coaches, players, etc. Bloomington is an awful football environment and the B1G is overjoyed with this game being in IC.

Tailgating in the field in Bloomington with the big trees is fun, but when they get to Melrose, tailgate at houses, and participate in The Wave, each person I have brought from Indiana have said “this is college football”.

May the best team win! On Iowa, Go Hawks!!
That is getting better. You can’t turn all of that around in 2 seasons. Apparently Tom Allen is sticking around to do just that. Season Ticket sales are up 27% as well. Start racking up 8-10 win seasons regularly and that will continue to trend up. Putting together a top 20 class(already there) will only help those results. I can see that a lot of people like yourselves still won’t take that program seriously. But I’m guessing in a couple more years, Big Ten fans will be begging someone to poach Tom Allen out of there.

*14th in scoring, 3rd in yards.

Conversely, they had one of the worst defenses in the country, and certainly the worst in the P5, clocking in 117th and 125th out of 127 in scoring and total defense, respectively. And you guys had to fight and claw to put 20 on them

That's a turd laying.
You know. I hate excuses more than the next guy. But when most of your team has Covid and doesn’t practice for a month, it can be detrimental. When you play the Bowl game without your All Big Ten QB, that is detrimental. When you play without your All Big Ten Tailback, that is detrimental. When your backup QB separates his shoulder in the 1st half, that is detrimental. When you lose your DC to a Head Coaching Job a week before the bowl game, that is detrimental.

I absolutely hate making excuses. But we had a lot of **** stacked against us. Ole Miss also hung 42 points on Alabama and we held them to 26. Matt Corral was one of the best QBs in the SEC. That team was similar to a normal year 9-3 Big Ten team.

You know. I hate excuses more than the next guy. But when most of your team has Covid and doesn’t practice for a month, it can be detrimental. When you play the Bowl game without your All Big Ten QB, that is detrimental. When you play without your All Big Ten Tailback, that is detrimental. When your backup QB separates his shoulder in the 1st half, that is detrimental. When you lose your DC to a Head Coaching Job a week before the bowl game, that is detrimental.

I absolutely hate making excuses. But we had a lot of **** stacked against us. Ole Miss also hung 42 points on Alabama and we held them to 26. Matt Corral was one of the best QBs in the SEC. That team was similar to a normal year 9-3 Big Ten team.
Pretty good at it even though you hate it

Reactions: Birnk403

When your two best offensive players (one being an AA QB) are out and then your third string QB is thrust into action...it is going to leave a mark. That said, just as in the JAX bowl the year before there were some coaching decisions that made you scratch your head.

• Haha
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Boy this board is going to be FUNNNNN after game 1. 😋

did-that-go-the-way-you-thought-it-was-gonna-go-nope.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT