ADVERTISEMENT

Sports movie mistakes/inaccuracies that drive you nuts

I've only seen a clip of the ending of Trouble With The Curve, but seriously? The kid they drafted #1 overall can't hit a curve?

Ruined the whole 2 minute clip for me.

In varsity blues, mox throws the ball at the other teams mascot on the sideline instead of spiking the ball. He wasted precious time by not spiking it, plus if it was forwards which you can’t really tell, it could be intentional grounding.
Also a fat a$$ lineman wouldn’t be able to score a touchdown on the hook and ladder play they run.

Fun fact-varsity blues is the one movie Paul Walker doesn't entirely ruin, although he tried really hard to.
Into the Blue had other redeeming qualities

Ij77Vn.gif

Why did Reg Dunlop sit the Hanson Brothers for so many games before playing them? No way you would have gone with 6 forwards while just leaving a capable line just sitting there for weeks on end. Dunlop is 40-something years old and he’s skating 30 something minutes a night? Please. No wonder he was a losing coach.
Actually, this is plausible. The game was played differently back then so the pace was much slower than today. Even today, if the Hanson's were 4th liners they might only see one shift a period on some teams. Reg easily could have just rolled 3 lines and sat the 4th liner Hansons.

Everyone know that when AC/DC Thunderstruck plays, we're about to see some serious sh1t; however, Varity Blues broke that rule. Total foul, IMO.

Reactions: JWolf74
The Breakfast Club - Emilio Estevez as a wrestler who is eating a several thousand calorie lunch.

Um, nope.
Especially in the late 80's. HS wrestlers back then were always cutting weight. Poor bastards would sit at the lunch table and watch us eat all the while spitting into a plastic cup. I don't think they had rules back then about weight cutting.

Friday Night Lights (the show).
I think it was season 1 or 2 but they won the State Title by running a hook and lateral.
Not crazy but it was for about 50 yards and they ran it with their RB and FB both coming out of the backfield.
Ugh… of course you’d be team lateral instead of team ladder.

Reactions: HawCory and Moral
I've just always hated in basketball movies when they show the guy shooting and then immediately cut to just showing the ball going through the hoop from like a foot away from the rim. Annoys the shit out of me.
Or when the quarterback throws a ball sidearm that would not make it 10 yards… then cut to it falling into the receiver’s hands 50 yards down the field.

Days of Thunder

"You better go high Cole" - Harry Hogue

In what phuqing world do races continue through that kind of wreckage where the driver sees it from a half mile away and is going to "drive through it" ?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Umm.... The line was "I don't want your life". He was talking to his dad, a guy who peaked in high school, was a shitty football player and it's trying to live vicariously through his star son while entirely ignoring his son's much larger academic aspirations.

Fun fact-varsity blues is the one movie Paul Walker doesn't entirely ruin, although he tried really hard to.
Another star QB that FSU missed out on, like Joe Mauer

Why did Reg Dunlop sit the Hanson Brothers for so many games before playing them? No way you would have gone with 6 forwards while just leaving a capable line just sitting there for weeks on end. Dunlop is 40-something years old and he’s skating 30 something minutes a night? Please. No wonder he was a losing coach.
Same reason Pop Didn’t play Roy Hobbs for weeks on end.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
1. Art Howell was a bad, fat manager.
2. Boxing referees routinely let fights go on when an opponent is literally teeing off on a guy and sending him across the ring with his punches repeatedly.

Obviously a spinoff of the military thread.

In The Replacements after a kickoff they took a timeout to stop the clock. That's something if you are doing a movie about football someone should notice.
Seems like Kirk has done something like this fairly recently?

Nuke Laloosh had 18 walks and 18 strikeouts in his professional debut. That's 126 pitches right there, minimum. You know those 18 walks weren't on 4 pitches and the 18 Ks weren't on 3. Plus, he needed 9 other outs.

I've just always hated in basketball movies when they show the guy shooting and then immediately cut to just showing the ball going through the hoop from like a foot away from the rim. Annoys the shit out of me.
Ya but without Coach Carter how would you know that our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure?

Reactions: sober_teacher
I've only seen a clip of the ending of Trouble With The Curve, but seriously? The kid they drafted #1 overall can't hit a curve?

Ruined the whole 2 minute clip for me.
Even more unbelievable that the kid was a 5 tool player built like an OL.

Tom Berenger in Major League moved and ran like he had polio. Good lord, shoot him already.

Also, despite the fact that I am a huge Karate Kid fan, can someone please explain to me why the crane technique "no can defend"? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There was something in Hoosiers that never added up. I'll have to re-watch. I think it might have been the number of the players on the bench/team

There was something in Hoosiers that never added up. I'll have to re-watch. I think it might have been the number of the players on the bench/team
It was one of the players that walked out of practice and quit, then mysteriously was on the team later in the movie with no explanation

Remember the Titans was ruined for me when the opposing coach goes batshit crazy not expecting a pass when they had to get in the end zone at the end. You're clearly playing prevent d in that case knowing they need a td.

It was one of the players that walked out of practice and quit, then mysteriously was on the team later in the movie with no explanation
They explained one of the them coming back, but the numbers still didn't add up. Glad I'm not the only one to notice.

I've probably watched that movie 40 times

They explained one of the them coming back, but the numbers still didn't add up. Glad I'm not the only one to notice.

I've probably watched that movie 40 times
Lol yea me too. One of them came back with the dad as the dad made him apologize.. he later became an assistant coach. The other one (buddy?) just reappeared on the team. Imdb says there was a scene that explained it but it ended up getting cut

Especially in the late 80's. HS wrestlers back then were always cutting weight. Poor bastards would sit at the lunch table and watch us eat all the while spitting into a plastic cup. I don't think they had rules back then about weight cutting.

I had a friend that was a defensive lineman, weighed around 170-175 (Class 1A school) and would lose like 40 lbs to wrestle. I thought he was insane even though he weighed more than me after he cut weight.

Days of Thunder

"You better go high Cole" - Harry Hogue

In what phuqing world do races continue through that kind of wreckage where the driver sees it from a half mile away and is going to "drive through it" ?
This is another good one. NASCAR drivers do not bang into each other like they were depicted in that stupid movie. I could barely watch it because of the constant collisions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT