ADVERTISEMENT

Sports movie mistakes/inaccuracies that drive you nuts

Lol yea me too. One of them came back with the dad as the dad made him apologize.. he later became an assistant coach. The other one (buddy?) just reappeared on the team. Imdb says there was a scene that explained it but it ended up getting cut

The Blu-ray has the deleted scene, it should have been left in. I saw the film in Germany when it was released. Me and a friend looked at each other and were like "WTF, how did Buddy get back on the team".

I can't stand watching all of the soccer clips in Ted Lasso. I litetally yell at my TV when watching it. The defending and goal keeping is scripted soooo poorly.

Not a movie but it bugs me.

Reactions: BioHawk
In varsity blues, mox throws the ball at the other teams mascot on the sideline instead of spiking the ball. He wasted precious time by not spiking it, plus if it was forwards which you can’t really tell, it could be intentional grounding.
Also a fat a$$ lineman wouldn’t be able to score a touchdown on the hook and ladder play they run.
They probably don’t lose that hangover game with today’s rules either. It would be a lot closer with PF’s, helmet to helmet, targeting, etc. on the opponent. West Canaan lost 20-3 (I think) with a pick 6 in there but a lot of those 15 yard penalties probably net them a score or two, plus negate the pick 6.

Remember the Titans was ruined for me when the opposing coach goes batshit crazy not expecting a pass when they had to get in the end zone at the end. You're clearly playing prevent d in that case knowing they need a td.

I brought up Remember the Titans in the military thread. When I found out how much of the movie was made up, it ruined it for me. Starting with the fact that Bertier didn’t get into a car crash until after the season and the schools in Alexandria had been integrated for years.

Notre Dame vs USC playing on Christmas Eve in the movie Die Hard. Yeah, not a sports movie, but c'mon. They need to get details like that right.
In The Godfather II Hyman Roth is watching a USC/ND game as well. I always head cannoned it as he was watching on Christmas Eve because Michael returns home after his trip to Miami asking Tom about his kids presents. Like it’s an annual Christmas Eve game according to Hollywood.

The Blu-ray has the deleted scene, it should have been left in. I saw the film in Germany when it was released. Me and a friend looked at each other and were like "WTF, how did Buddy get back on the team".

I've been telling my friends about this error and they always look at me like WTF you talkin about Willis?

In The Godfather II Hyman Roth is watching a USC/ND game as well. I always head cannoned it as he was watching on Christmas Eve because Michael returns home after his trip to Miami asking Tom about his kids presents. Like it’s an annual Christmas Eve game according to Hollywood.
The 1958 game. It was played November 29.

The scene in Hoosiers where Ollie is shooting free throws to win the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of the opposing players stand on the baseline, facing Ollie, staring him down? The big tough guy who said "I didn't know they grew them so small on the farm."

You must not have watched the movie.
Only once, because it was bad.
But I've seen tons and tons of stock car racing.
They sure as hell lean on each other hard at the bull rings. Yea, people that didn’t know better were trying to show that part/history of it at superspeedways, but it not absent in stock cars.

The guys in the front usually aren't doing it to near the degree the guys in the middle and the back are, lap after lap.

They can't at the aero tracks, just a different game entirely than where mechanical grip is more of the equation.

Bristol Motor Speedway
Northwest FL Speedway
Martinsville Speedway
|
|
V
Everything else.

Pretty sure "The Triple Lindy" breaks about 15 rules in diving and about 3 more in physics.

Only once, because it was bad.
But I've seen tons and tons of stock car racing.
They sure as hell lean on each other hard at the bull rings. Yea, people that didn’t know better were trying to show that part/history of it at superspeedways, but it not absent in stock cars.

The guys in the front usually aren't doing it to near the degree the guys in the middle and the back are, lap after lap.

They can't at the aero tracks, just a different game entirely than where mechanical grip is more of the equation.

Bristol Motor Speedway
Northwest FL Speedway
Martinsville Speedway
|
|
V
Everything else.
You mention the half mile tracks, of which there are 2. They do not bang cars like that elsewhere. Not Atlanta, Darlington, Texas, etc…of those 1.5 mile tracks. It’s comical you used Bristol as your example.

Daytona and Talladega are also a different kind of racing so don’t go there either. Might as well chain them together until the last 15 laps.

This is another good one. NASCAR drivers do not bang into each other like they were depicted in that stupid movie. I could barely watch it because of the constant collisions.
It's the Rocky of racing movies. Rocky would have been a vegetable at 35 if the movie was accurate.

I was wrong....sorry
Haha you are thinking of the end of teen wolf. MJ Fox jump shoots his free throws w the villain standing on the baseline/under the hoop per the refs instructions.

Per this thread the unrealistic basketball scenes of teen wolf ruin a realistic coaching philosophy of Bobby Finstock.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
In Vision Quest Matthew Modine is trying to lose weight to wrestle a guy who is clearly about 20 lbs heavier than him.

frank-jasper-who-played-brian-shute-in-the-80s-classic-movie-vision-quest-joins-me.jpg

20? Maybe 50 or so. That dude's arms are as big around as Modine's chest

Reactions: Carolina Hawk
You mention the half mile tracks, of which there are 2. They do not bang cars like that elsewhere. Not Atlanta, Darlington, Texas, etc…of those 1.5 mile tracks. It’s comical you used Bristol as your example.

Daytona and Talladega are also a different kind of racing so don’t go there either. Might as well chain them together until the last 15 laps.
I guess you missed the first part of my first response.
”They do at the good tracks.”

And now you’re going to double down by repeating my arguments as to why that is the case?

“Yea, people that didn’t know better were trying to show that part/history of it at superspeedways, but it not absent in stock cars.”

“They can't at the aero tracks, just a different game entirely than where mechanical grip is more of the equation.”

Dumbass.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
I guess you missed the first part of my first response.
”They do at the good tracks.”

And now you’re going to double down by repeating my arguments as to why that is the case?

“Yea, people that didn’t know better were trying to show that part/history of it at superspeedways, but it not absent in stock cars.”

“They can't at the aero tracks, just a different game entirely than where mechanical grip is more of the equation.”

Dumbass.
No I saw that and that's your opinion. The movie didn't only show races at Martinsville and Bristol. That's what I'm talking about. Stick to Russian propaganda, Yuri.

In the Kurt Warner movie they had him playing in an outdoor stadium at UNI. For shame

His roommate being a black cowboy made me upset. I drink beer and play darts with the guy all the time and he definitely is as white as I am. 🤣

The scene in Hoosiers where Ollie is shooting free throws to win the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of the opposing players stand on the baseline, facing Ollie, staring him down? The big tough guy who said "I didn't know they grew them so small on the farm."
Maybe thinking ending of Teen Wolf:

BGYykOnCMAAOm_b.jpg

Reactions: hawkirugged17
Umm.... The line was "I don't want your life". He was talking to his dad, a guy who peaked in high school, was a shitty football player and it's trying to live vicariously through his star son while entirely ignoring his son's much larger academic aspirations.

Fun fact-varsity blues is the one movie Paul Walker doesn't entirely ruin, although he tried really hard to.
His dad was a "no talent pussy" according to coach. But at least he listened!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT