ADVERTISEMENT

Sportswriter has 4 Pac12 teams to the Big 10 if pac12 goes down

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
His article was about where all the Pac12 teams remaining might land if the Pac12 goes down/dissolves. He said Cal, Stanford, Wash, and Oregon to the Big10. If that happens, and I really do not want it to as the west time zone should have its own major conference, and if the Big gets those 4 teams to swell to 20 teams then it is time for four divisions of 5 teams each. It would be time for a 10 game conference schedule to keep more income in the conference. It would be time for the 4 division champs to play two semifinal games followed by a title game.

Those four divisions (and really you could have 4 divisions after USC and UCLA join) would always be fun for fans and teams as it gives them a chance to be in the mix for a division title and a playoff much later in the season to generate excitement.

In a non-division, 16 team Big10 teams that have been knocking on the door like Minny, MSU, and some others like IU and jNW and Nebby will be toast after 3 conf weekends.

I have seen so many scenarios the last few days i dont know what to believe. That said, I think Wash. and Oregon make the most sense. And to a lesser degree, Florida State ,North carolina and possible Clemson.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
IMO, ND really becomes the tipping point for the BIG directionality. I would assume they are hitting the ACC hard trying to get un-even share distribution

If it was up to me I would not like to see further expansion, especially with four left coast teams. but of course it’s about money and TV deals, super conferences, so it will probably happen. I’d take Arizona over Stanford or Cal.

And I should have also said that the PAC 12 should have started scheduling a lot more of their games to start at at least 3 or 4 PM East coast time to try to get more viewers. I know they would usually have at least one game on at 2:30 or 3 PM Iowa time which is the preferred time slot for most tv sets.

I'm exhausted by all the speculation from every writer or talking head, I think locking up the west coast is a good idea but until there's actual fire to go with the smoke I'm tuning out

1 Cal
2 Stanford
Adds to western footprint/scheduling

3 North Carolina
Strengthens east coast footprint, esp. Bb

4 Notre Dame
The white whale, already has several B10 rivalries going back the the late 1800s as well as USC since 1926.

Added appeal: each school has top notch academics which will bolster the Big Ten Academic Alliance.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
From the Pac 12 the B1G will get: Cal, Stanford, Oregon and Washington
From the Pac 12 the Big XII will get: Utah, Arizona and Arizona State

Washington State and Oregon State will be the odd ones out.

Reactions: Mister Plow
The Big 10 will not take any pairing of teams that does not include ND. Any other speculation is ridiculous and does not understand what realignment is all about.

The only two brands remaining in the Pac-12 that remotely approach the B10 average are Oregon and Washington, and even then they only dilute the average payout rather than increase it.

Expanding just to expand is a Big 12 move.

The Big 10 will not take any pairing of teams that does not include ND. Any other speculation is ridiculous and does not understand what realignment is all about.

The only two brands remaining in the Pac-12 that remotely approach the B10 average are Oregon and Washington, and even then they only dilute the average payout rather than increase it.

The one concession to ND might be to pick one team from a preapproved list to come along with them.

And I should have also said that the PAC 12 should have started scheduling a lot more of their games to start at at least 3 or 4 PM East coast time to try to get more viewers. I know they would usually have at least one game on at 2:30 or 3 PM Iowa time which is the preferred time slot for most tv sets.
???? You do realize that its not up to them, when those games are scheduled, at least not if their going to be relevant and on TV. Its up the networks what time slot they get which is why their on late at night where they are now. The B1G and SEC are gobbling up the worthwhile TV slots on the top networks, and they get the late nights because thats what works.

If history is any indication, the B1G has considered both "brand" and TV market when adding teams. Nebraska was strictly about the former and Maryland and Rutgers were strictly about the latter. Cal and Stanford would bring the Bay Area TV market (#10) and Washington the Seattle market (#12). Oregon is a brand now thanks to Nike money. (It was also the filming location for Animal House.) It also would provide a relatively nearby rival for Washington, but not an especially big TV market.

Reactions: oldnewkirk.0
1 Cal
2 Stanford
Adds to western footprint/scheduling

3 North Carolina
Strengthens east coast footprint, esp. Bb

4 Notre Dame
The white whale, already has several B10 rivalries going back the the late 1800s as well as USC since 1926.

Added appeal: each school has top notch academics which will bolster the Big Ten Academic Alliance.
dont need none of that thar academiks

dont need none of that thar academiks
Unfortunately, it is the university presidents - academics - who vote on new member admissions, not the ADs. It’s safe to say they have somewhat different criteria than the ADs & coaches..,, although the Commissioner (Delaney, e.g.) can hold sway in that process.

Since ND is pipe dream…

Oregon
Washington
Virginia
North Carolina (or Miami)
Essentially adding all of those schools is just a move to keep the B12 and ACC at an even further arms length. Just need to get serious with ND. Sell them on they are going to have to pick between B10 and the SEC eventually, all they are doing by waiting is falling further behind.

His article was about where all the Pac12 teams remaining might land if the Pac12 goes down/dissolves. He said Cal, Stanford, Wash, and Oregon to the Big10. If that happens, and I really do not want it to as the west time zone should have its own major conference, and if the Big gets those 4 teams to swell to 20 teams then it is time for four divisions of 5 teams each. It would be time for a 10 game conference schedule to keep more income in the conference. It would be time for the 4 division champs to play two semifinal games followed by a title game.

Those four divisions (and really you could have 4 divisions after USC and UCLA join) would always be fun for fans and teams as it gives them a chance to be in the mix for a division title and a playoff much later in the season to generate excitement.

In a non-division, 16 team Big10 teams that have been knocking on the door like Minny, MSU, and some others like IU and jNW and Nebby will be toast after 3 conf weekends.
Agree with the idea of a 20 Team Conference
Agree with 4 Regions of 5
Agree with NFL Format where Regional Champs play
Don't agree with Cal. as a team
Utah makes more sense

Below is from Tony Altimore @TJAltimore

F2PXzYdXMAA1Gpf

Reactions: hawkinarkansas
There are a lot of rumblings on the internet that Oregon, Washington, Clemson, and FSU are headed to the Big 10. Nothing confirmed, but this is the same type of stuff that has happened before previous additions.

I’ve been following this stuff for 13 years. I would say the most reliable sources are correct 35-40% of the time. With that said, they are the ones promoting the above scenario. Not sure how or why, but I guess we will see what happens.
A lot of this is driven by the networks. And if they are willing to pay, then there will be movement. The consolidation of brands brought CBS and NBC a lot of new advertisers. So maybe that’s the why?

Reactions: warriors dad
I don't think the Pac-12 will dissolve. It will remain in some form.
In a lesser form where they will be like the Big12 and raid a bunch of mid majors. They will pickup the likes of San Diego State, Colorado State, Boise State, etc. you have the Power 2 in SEC and Big Ten then the mid-conferences like ACC, Big 12, PAC 12 then the rest.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Agree with the idea of a 20 Team Conference
Agree with 4 Regions of 5
Agree with NFL Format where Regional Champs play
Don't agree with Cal. as a team
Utah makes more sense

Below is from Tony Altimore @TJAltimore

F2PXzYdXMAA1Gpf

I understand what you are saying based on those graphs but perhaps Cal and Stanford in central CA area bring in a totally larger number of overall viewers than Utah. I know eyeballs are a big metric with advertising rates and contracts but perhaps the potential of eyeballs is part of the metric also.

Plus, the important academic aspects of Cal vs Utah probably favors Cal although I know about Cal from history and more news reports but I know very little about Utah academically.

I understand what you are saying based on those graphs but perhaps Cal and Stanford in central CA area bring in a totally larger number of overall viewers than Utah. I know eyeballs are a big metric with advertising rates and contracts but perhaps the potential of eyeballs is part of the metric also.

Plus, the important academic aspects of Cal vs Utah probably favors Cal although I know about Cal from history and more news reports but I know very little about Utah academically.
F2J6yOtWgAIiJ49

Utah is an AAU member per Tony Altimore @TJAltimore

from a few years ago ..........................

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.c...football-5-year-attendance-records-low-pac-12

Cal ranked dead last in the conference by averaging just 69.57% of the stadium filled compared to capacity. That mark trailed UCLA by over a whole percentage point and the rest of the Pac-12 by nearly 10 percentage points.

It also ranked fifth-worst in the Power-5 and 84th-worst among all 130 teams in the country.

Those are some bleak numbers when comparing them against the conference and against the country.

Here’s how the Pac-12 stacked up in each figure:

Average 5-year attendance:
1. Washington
2. USC
3. UCLA
4. Oregon
5. Arizona State
6. Utah
7. Colorado
8. Arizona
9. Cal
10. Stanford
11. Oregon State
12. Washington State

Filled Stadium Capacity %:
1. Oregon
2. Utah
3. Washington
4. Washington State
5. Colorado
6. Stanford
7. USC
8. Arizona
9. Oregon State
10. Arizona State
11. UCLA
12. Cal

from a few years ago ..........................

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.c...football-5-year-attendance-records-low-pac-12

Cal ranked dead last in the conference by averaging just 69.57% of the stadium filled compared to capacity. That mark trailed UCLA by over a whole percentage point and the rest of the Pac-12 by nearly 10 percentage points.

It also ranked fifth-worst in the Power-5 and 84th-worst among all 130 teams in the country.

Those are some bleak numbers when comparing them against the conference and against the country.

Here’s how the Pac-12 stacked up in each figure:

Average 5-year attendance:
1. Washington
2. USC
3. UCLA
4. Oregon
5. Arizona State
6. Utah
7. Colorado
8. Arizona
9. Cal
10. Stanford
11. Oregon State
12. Washington State

Filled Stadium Capacity %:
1. Oregon
2. Utah
3. Washington
4. Washington State
5. Colorado
6. Stanford
7. USC
8. Arizona
9. Oregon State
10. Arizona State
11. UCLA
12. Cal
Obviously horrible for Cal, but I’d like to know their average attendance before that five-year span. Attendance was much better during the Tedford era and they would have sell-outs, even against opponents not named Stanford. I did a quick scan of 2007 and 2022, and noticed the smallest crowd in 2007 was bigger than 2022 Stanford crowd and about 20,000 greater than the typical 2022 game. And this was before the stadium remodel.

Obviously horrible for Cal, but I’d like to know their average attendance before that five-year span. Attendance was much better during the Tedford era and they would have sell-outs, even against opponents not named Stanford. I did a quick scan of 2007 and 2022, and noticed the smallest crowd in 2007 was bigger than 2022 Stanford crowd and about 20,000 greater than the typical 2022 game. And this was before the stadium remodel.
Times are changing so fast, like change has accelerated exponentially the last 10 years. Peoples' preferences changing, generational changes, etc.

I honestly don’t think the Bay Area cares all that much about Stanford and Cal unless they are winning, and even then not so much. Not necessary to go after them. People just get stuck on the academics thing with our conference, but that isn’t really all that true anymore after Nebby was added.

Washington should make sense aside from them being on an island up there by themselves. Oregon is new money, but Phil is getting old and the money may dry up. I look at that as an interesting but risky investment. Utah is also interesting but not a no brainer. That is pretty much it for anything west of the Mississippi River that we would have a chance at since Texas wouldn’t be coming now.

ND is a no brainer.

Virginia and NC bring good basketball history but not football. BC would just dilute the payout to teams. GT isn’t even the largest fan base in its hometown. Clemson and FSU wouldn’t be good fits with the Big Ten and are likely SEC bound eventually. Anyone else that matters is in the SEC.

Best solution is to send Nebby back to the Big 12 where they would have a good chance at dominating the new conference and pick up ND. Hold par otherwise.

Money is slowly destroying college sports. NIL quickly evolved to pay to play. Everyone (individuals and schools) is looking to get paid. Hunter Dickerson, as a B1G example, was not getting paid enough at Michigan so he left as an unrestricted free agent. Kansas ended up outbidding Kentucky for his services.

And now, if the TV revenue is not there, schools (Colorado and more to follow) will be jumping to another conference so that they, too, can get paid.

The PAC 12 is on life support. The ACC has a really bad TV deal and their member schools are not happy about it. It will be interesting to see what "conferences" look like one, two, three years from now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT