ADVERTISEMENT

Sportswriter has 4 Pac12 teams to the Big 10 if pac12 goes down

The Big 10 will not take any pairing of teams that does not include ND. Any other speculation is ridiculous and does not understand what realignment is all about.

The only two brands remaining in the Pac-12 that remotely approach the B10 average are Oregon and Washington, and even then they only dilute the average payout rather than increase it.

Expanding just to expand is a Big 12 move.
this

Clone fans would then start saying Iowa is afraid to play with them.

If both conferences expand, both teams might be forced to play 10+ league games. I’d think both ADs would prefer to have easier non-conference foes than the Cyclones and Hawkeyes.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Looks like Oregon & Washington is happening....

As I've predicted all along.

After that the conference should stand pat at 18 ...no need to rush to 20/24.

Wait for the inevitable collapse of the ACC first and go hard after UNC, Virginia, FSU, GT or Miami.

Need to focus on securing the B1G's Eastern/Southern flanks while simultaneously staking a claim to some of those fertile recruiting grounds.

Ahhh yes, it's all coming together as expected.

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: Franisdaman
The ACC is about to crumble, too....
Statements from FSU's president and the rumors of Clemson's feelings are surely concerning to ND. Those two leaving the ACC would be akin to OUT and USCLA leaving their respective leagues. The overall value of the leftovers being substantially lower and thus lower $$ media revenue. We may very well soon find out the future home of ND as well, cuz expanded leagues mean expanded conference schedules which means ND would have very few meaningful non-conference opponents available which means fewer opportunities at the CFP

Clone fans would then start saying Iowa is afraid to play them.
Who cares? Any price we'd have to pay to not play them anymore is worth it. Lose-lose for us every time and always will be. Let ISU have fun in their new conference for the time being. Any of their fans who think it'll last are beyond delusional. It'll only be the B1G and SEC from now on until the two merge (which they've already been colluding anyway honestly). ISU fans likely won't exist any longer in 15-20 years, at least, not in a true Division 1 capacity.

Suffice it to say, small price to pay imo. ISU is dead and they don't even know it yet...

Also, honestly, I'm not even trying to be an asshole either. I've been saying mergers or takeovers were likely for the last 20+ years at some point. This is all about money and we're not immune either (but still a top 25 moneymaker). I'm unhappy this is all happening as I hate the NFL and that's what this is becoming.

Last edited:
from a few years ago ..........................

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.c...football-5-year-attendance-records-low-pac-12

Cal ranked dead last in the conference by averaging just 69.57% of the stadium filled compared to capacity. That mark trailed UCLA by over a whole percentage point and the rest of the Pac-12 by nearly 10 percentage points.
Those are interesting numbers. I am not sure I would look at UCLA's attendance as a % of full house since they play in a 100,000 seat rose bowl stadium iirc. I know, huge school and in a huge city but there are also a bazillion more things to do there in Sept-Nov than in the midwest.

Honestly, I'd prefer not to see Oregon join. I think they are pretentious douche bags with their weekly tacky uniforms and being backed by Nike.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-bi...g-pac-12-with-uncertain-future-163742534.html

Pretty much a done deal now. Should be free Nikes for all other teams. USC just has to love Oregon getting back in with them.

Sources: Big Ten adding Oregon and Washington, leaving Pac-12 with uncertain future​

Dan Wetzel · Ross Dellenger
Fri, Aug 4, 2023, 11:37 AM CDT·2 min read

The Big Ten is in the final stages of negotiating an expansion to 18 teams and adding the Universities of Oregon and Washington, industry sources told Yahoo Sports.

The move adds a Pacific Northwest presence to the arrival of USC and UCLA while bringing two known football brands to the Big Ten’s broadcast offerings.

Both schools are expected to agree to a cut rate — perhaps as low as 50 percent — of the Big Ten’s media revenue that could reach $65 million/year per institution. That is still more than the Pac-12’s proposed media deal with Apple TV+, which is estimated to be in the $20-25 million range.

While contracts are not signed, deals have been agreed to in principle. Big Ten presidents met Friday morning to discuss expansion and settled concerns about increased travel and the logistics of an 18-team conference.

After a roller coaster of exploration and negotiation across the week, the Ducks and Huskies will exit the Pac-12, leaving the 108-year-old league with an uncertain future.

The University of Arizona is thus expected to take an offer to head to the Big 12, and both Arizona State and Utah could follow. The Pac-12 was already down to nine teams with the defections of Colorado, USC and UCLA in 2024.

The four remaining schools — Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State — will need to regroup, either on their own or together. If the Pac-12 survives as a brand, it will be unrecognizable to its reputation as the "Conference of Champions" that served as the pre-eminent college athletics league out west for generations.
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-bi...-pac-12-with-uncertain-future-163742534.html#

Last edited:
Welp, this stinks. I can't stand these "80 yard TD pass or nothing" teams. I didn't really mind USC and UCLA, but with addition of Washington and Oregon, does Iowa ever have a chance of winning the B1G again? I just honestly no idea what's going to happen in the future. I just feel like I'll be enjoying football a lot less.

Big 12 should just try to add Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Wazzu also.
It's only a temporary solution and a slow death. It would buy those schools 7 years to try and become competitive enough to gain entry into the B1G and SEC but markets matter.

Welp, this stinks. I can't stand these "80 yard TD pass or nothing" teams. I didn't really mind USC and UCLA, but with addition of Washington and Oregon, does Iowa ever have a chance of winning the B1G again? I just honestly no idea what's going to happen in the future. I just feel like I'll be enjoying football a lot less.
No, we don't. However, since college football is becoming NFL-Lite, there may be more equity amongst the "haves", of which, we are via affiliation. Who knows? I'd expect us to perseverate amongst the middle though going forward which isn't too different than where we typically are right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT