ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Depth Chart & Roster Notes

I know nothing because I know Jimmys word is meaningless? Ok...

And you have too many posts. Get a life, right Scott!
You literally had zero evidence to support Harbaugh pulled his offer. You started talking out of your ass, and tried using Jaz Patterson as an example, who had a way different recruitment and it wasn’t in anyway similar to Koens. That is what proved to everyone that you know nothing.

Dude go do something you shouldnt be here posting...
Here is a suggestion. Why don't you cut your posts in half, and take the other time to educate yourself yourself. First, learn the difference between a decade and 20 years. Second, make sure when you are chiming in your opinion is relevant to what your responding to, and if your going to talk shit, at least be good at it. You are self employed, but you don't know the difference between a decade and 20 years? Okay........LMAO Please proceed, I am sure you still have another 20 posts to meet your daily quota. ;)

This really does seem to be an open competition. I hope Labas takes advantage and wins it because we have seen what the other guys can do and it isn't good.
So this! All we heard all of last year was how many heads Labas was turning in practice. If he doesn’t win the starting job, then it’s going to be hard not to think quarterback play is going to suck yet again. FTR, I fully expect Labas to have his struggles should he win the starting job. With that said, we all know what we get with Petras and Padilla—and it’s not good.

We have some of the most talented playmakers on the outside and in the backfield during the KF tenure. Our issue happens to be the QB. Figure that out, and we will run the West.
If Iowa can get average production out of the quarterback position, and the running game builds off the Kentucky performance, they should easily repeat as West champions (and won’t need an upset the final weekend to do so).

So this! All we heard all of last year was how many heads Labas was turning in practice. If he doesn’t win the starting job, then it’s going to be hard not to think quarterback play is going to suck yet again. FTR, I fully expect Labas to have his struggles should he win the starting job. With that said, we all know what we get with Petras and Padilla—and it’s not good.

There's always a guy, somewhere in the country, that has that magic senior season. Expecting quality QB play from our incumbents would seem to require magic.

Petras has the tools, makes some great throws and has shown, on a couple of occasions the ability to lead come from behind wins but ... he would need substantial improvement to be a game manager for an otherwise good offense.

I do think the offense will be otherwise good. The biggest problem last season was, other than Lindy and Shooter (toward the end of the season) the most talented linemen and receivers were all in the freshman, RS freshman class. Richman, Colby, Stephens, Davidkov, Elsbury, Myslinski and Volk were all freshmen. Not everyone is Tristan Wirfs, linemen tend to grow into the job. It's reasonable to expect significant growth from freshmen to sophomore seasons and a second year with a new coach. If we see significant line improvement we will see significant improvement in the rest of the offense.

Running backs, same thing. The Williams tandem are going to be good. Significant depth too. The Williams may not fit through some tiny holes with Tyler's quickness, but they both hit the hole fast and hard. If the line improves the running backs are going to see holes that Tyler never got to see last season. So, the net effect is a better and more consistent running game.

WR, same story, most talented players were freshmen. Both 4* and both of whom showed major big play ability. They need consistency, which comes with experience. Both should be better in '22.

Which leaves us where we started ... need at least competent, low turnover quarterbacking to bring all those pieces together.

Still see a 10-2/9-3 record. Wisconsin in Iowa City decides the Division. Iowa wins that game. Probably get beat down by tOSU twice next season.​

Last edited:
I don’t worry too much about specific positions for this year, but think this team would take several steps forward if we just find a few more guys with -baum in their name. Figure out which position they will dominate once they get here.

Reactions: Randall Stanhope
QB , OL , K . Iowa is fine at WR I have complete faith in Johnson, Bruce and Jones, Now if they can find a QB who throws to them and not the 20th row .
How can you have complete faith in those guys? Lots of drops and numbers weren’t good. I see potential in Johnson and Bruce but it’s mainly just that at this point and. Ragaini and Jones are just ok. Pretty thin at the position as well. Johnson goes down and a walkon is starting

Live look at nbanflfactory:
1305523587250.jpg
I put him on ignore long ago..... not worth the frustration listening to his ignorance

We should all know by now that the depth chart for skilled players means very little. Bruce lV wasn't even on the depth chart most of last year, and he still played a LOT down the stretch. He and Jones will play a great deal....
My comment was more related to what has happened to Ragaini vs the exact depth chart. Its just weird, he blasted onto the scene early but has really not done a ton recently. Realize these things are somewhat useless the way KF handles. Agree that Bruce and Jones will get lots of snaps.

The top 4 Iowa wide receivers had only 90 catches. Granted LaPorta (53) and Goodson (31) were the leading receivers.

If big Sam improves his hands and catches all of the balls that hit him in the hands, he could be looking at a 100- catch season. That would have to open up the field for the receivers. Drag a couple defenders out of the box and the running game will sure look better.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
The top 4 Iowa wide receivers had only 90 catches. Granted LaPorta (53) and Goodson (31) were the leading receivers.

If big Sam improves his hands and catches all of the balls that hit him in the hands, he could be looking at a 100- catch season. That would have to open up the field for the receivers. Drag a couple defenders out of the box and the running game will sure look better.
Iowa always likes to throw to the tight ends. The best wide receivers were freshmen and will be even better in 2022. Get the ball in their hands and the offense will move downfield.

My takes:

Defense should be legit. Would like to see more of Craig and the possibility of another outside rusher in portal or a younger guy situationally. LB is going to be insane. CBs again very solid but not sure what their plan is with DeJong. Seems like he should be a safety.

Offense will again be as good as the QB play is. I REALLY hope they give AP and JL legit shots to win the job. SP seems like a great dude but is not a great QB. RB should be really solid- what we lose in home run ability we gain in toughness and hitting the hole harder imo.
WR should be alright but would still like to see some size/height on the outside...Brecht?
OL...looks good but RT is still a major concern.

My takes:

Defense should be legit. Would like to see more of Craig and the possibility of another outside rusher in portal or a younger guy situationally. LB is going to be insane. CBs again very solid but not sure what their plan is with DeJong. Seems like he should be a safety.

Offense will again be as good as the QB play is. I REALLY hope they give AP and JL legit shots to win the job. SP seems like a great dude but is not a great QB. RB should be really solid- what we lose in home run ability we gain in toughness and hitting the hole harder imo.
WR should be alright but would still like to see some size/height on the outside...Brecht?
OL...looks good but RT is still a major concern.
I completely agree with you, but also had to chuckle at the thought of Nick DeJong playing safety.

Reactions: hexumhawk and WSC72
My comment was more related to what has happened to Ragaini vs the exact depth chart. Its just weird, he blasted onto the scene early but has really not done a ton recently. Realize these things are somewhat useless the way KF handles. Agree that Bruce and Jones will get lots of snaps.
He did much better with Stanley at QB. They had a good vibe between them.

Thanks for your ask, HawkinK.C.1. Scoop is when guys rehab they add two additional hours to their daily schedules. Injury is a crushing blow to every player and the rehab lasts far longer than the commercial break. Ethan is fortunate he lives close to home. He has our support and checks in with us often to organize the setbacks. I cannot imagine where he would be right now if he was from out of state. It is a long and lonely road to recovery for so many guys, and the mental grind they must endure at age twenty (ish) is really incredibly intense. It is no wonder at all that guys step down when they are so far from home. As for Ethan, I will share this - after his very first game on Kinnick Field, he zipped up to our parking spot on his moped and his first words out of his mouth, "That was, so far, the best day of my life." So, yeah, when he had bone spur surgery after his fall practice his freshman year and was out - did rehab all season and worked up to play last fall, he felt he'd arrived.... and so the story goes - for so many athletes who've gone before him.
I am a teacher. I teach writing. I'd rather give more perspective than less. Forgive my wordiness.

Thanks for your ask, HawkinK.C.1. Scoop is when guys rehab they add two additional hours to their daily schedules. Injury is a crushing blow to every player and the rehab lasts far longer than the commercial break. Ethan is fortunate he lives close to home. He has our support and checks in with us often to organize the setbacks. I cannot imagine where he would be right now if he was from out of state. It is a long and lonely road to recovery for so many guys, and the mental grind they must endure at age twenty (ish) is really incredibly intense. It is no wonder at all that guys step down when they are so far from home. As for Ethan, I will share this - after his very first game on Kinnick Field, he zipped up to our parking spot on his moped and his first words out of his mouth, "That was, so far, the best day of my life." So, yeah, when he had bone spur surgery after his fall practice his freshman year and was out - did rehab all season and worked up to play last fall, he felt he'd arrived.... and so the story goes - for so many athletes who've gone before him.
I am a teacher. I teach writing. I'd rather give more perspective than less. Forgive my wordiness.
I remember that Karl Klug was plagued by injuries through his first few years at Iowa too. Finally got a little traction in '08 as a backup (as a RS SO) ... then started his final two years.

If memory serves, Logan Lee was dinged through his first few years too. Finally enjoyed some health this last season ... and put up one heck of a solid season for a first-year guy at DT.

I agree with the prior poster ... I was really heartened by what I saw from Ethan last fall. I can understand why he felt that he had arrived. He 100% looked like he "belonged" ... really nice pursuit and we really fast off the ball. Early on, I truly thought that he looked to be one of our most promising young guys.

For his sake (and that of the teams) I hope that he can make it through the grind - because it sure is fun cheering those guys on.

How Iowa is it going to be when they don't use Xavier N until his 3rd year..
Is that a comment about how AJ Epenesa was used? If so ... he played a significant number of snaps as a TR FR ... and played a lot as a SO too.

Matt Roth didn't start as a TR FR either ... and he ended up doing alright for the Hawks too!

Is that a comment about how AJ Epenesa was used? If so ... he played a significant number of snaps as a TR FR ... and played a lot as a SO too.

Matt Roth didn't start as a TR FR either ... and he ended up doing alright for the Hawks too!
KF has mentioned before about how the further away from the ball/LOS you get, the easier it is to play early. It's why we have at least one true freshman play in the secondary almost every year.

2021: Cooper DeJean
2020: Some snaps for Reggie Bracy, but shortened season likely had more to due with the lack of one here.
2019: Dane Belton
2018: Riley Moss and Julius Brents
2017: Matt Hankins and Geno Stone
2016: Manny Rugamba and Amani Hooker
2015: Michael Ojemudia
2014: Josh Jackson and Brandon Snyder
2013: Desmond King

And the list goes on.

Being he's a level of recruit we haven't gotten since Epenesa and he plays at a position where we historically let young guys loose early, I fully expect XN will be starting at least part way through the season.

KF has mentioned before about how the further away from the ball/LOS you get, the easier it is to play early. It's why we have at least one true freshman play in the secondary almost every year.

2021: Cooper DeJean
2020: Some snaps for Reggie Bracy, but shortened season likely had more to due with the lack of one here.
2019: Dane Belton
2018: Riley Moss and Julius Brents
2017: Matt Hankins and Geno Stone
2016: Manny Rugamba and Amani Hooker
2015: Michael Ojemudia
2014: Josh Jackson and Brandon Snyder
2013: Desmond King

And the list goes on.

Being he's a level of recruit we haven't gotten since Epenesa and he plays at a position where we historically let young guys loose early, I fully expect XN will be starting at least part way through the season.

I could be wrong but I thought Cooper only played special teams last year

Reactions: pink shizzle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT