ADVERTISEMENT

Springfield Hellcat

It's interesting in a post Kap-kneel society the flag is now viewed in a negative light. I stand for the anthem and fly the American flag outside my home. However, I'm NOT a MAGA guy, a racist, or a white nationalist. I'm just a veteran who respects both the flag and those who choose to kneel.

Strange times.

“Post-Kap society”? Come on, its a goddamn tattoo, and a sleeve at that. How about this: ask your grandfather what he thinks about sleeve tattoos and how they celebrate their patriotism?

Reactions: billanole
“Post-Kap society”?
Yes. There was a period of time before Kap where everyone stood for the flag and folks who flew the flag weren't viewed as racist nationalists. "Post Kap" the lines are blurred. Folks who kneel are traitors and those who stand are racist nationalists. Yes, that's a broad brush. Yes, I'm only describing the fringe. I don't personally believe this, but I see this type of rhetoric constantly flow through social media feeds.

..ask your grandfather what he thinks about sleeve tattoos and how they celebrate their patriotism?
They are dead, but my maternal grandfather had a Army Tattoo on his forearm. It wasn't a sleeve.

However many you need, lock them up. Kid in my sons class killed himself with his dads gun this week.
That's awful and I hope your son and his classmates are learning to deal with a horrid and very sad event.
I don't own guns and they terrify me.

I recommend you don't conceal carry.

I also recommend a laser sight for home defense:

reactor-xds-grn-front-rt-grn-hr.jpg

I have no interest in conceal carry or owning a gun.

If either changes, I'll take the laser sight suggestion under advisement.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I have no interest in conceal carry or owning a gun.

If either changes, I'll take the laser sight suggestion under advisement.

Guns are not a bad thing,... concealed carry is probably not a good idea for most people,... laser sights are cool...

Pepperman hates America.

No, I don't. I just happen to be more culturally-aware than you and I'm not in favor of perpetuating the image of America as being some gun-happy violent culture. We have so many shootings and problems with gun violence (including and perhaps even PRINCIPALLY inner cities) in the US, and I don't wish to associate the American flag with guns. Yes, I own guns, including the scary AR-15. But I think that image is tone-deaf and that's what I'm expressing here.

Yes. There was a period of time before Kap where everyone stood for the flag and folks who flew the flag weren't viewed as racist nationalists. "Post Kap" the lines are blurred. Folks who kneel are traitors and those who stand are racist nationalists. Yes, that's a broad brush. Yes, I'm only describing the fringe. I don't personally believe this, but I see this type of rhetoric constantly flow through social media feeds.

They are dead, but my maternal grandfather had a Army Tattoo on his forearm. It wasn't a sleeve.

And what would he have said about a sleeve of an American flag? The rest of your post has little to do with the post you complained about with “Pre-Kap”.

No, everyone has never stood for the flag at all times. Who decided that those who kneel are traitors?
Are you OK not standing out against those who paint with this broad brush?

If the gun was not available...
Then what, he'd have not done it? You simply cant say so and i've been close to enough depressed people over my lifetime to believe that. Good friend growing up brother jumped off an over pass into on coming traffic. Neighbors boyfriend hung himself. High school buddy popped a bottle full of xanax and chugged as much tequila as he could.
Blaming an object for how a depressed person chooses to end his or her life does nothing to bring the real root cause to light... and actually diminishes the complex issues of mental illness by oversimplifying it as a "gun issue".

No, everyone has never stood for the flag at all times.
Prior to Kap, I can't recall any isolated events being publicized.

No, everyone has never stood for the flag at all times. Who decided that those who kneel are traitors?

Typically, I've seen false patriots and close-minded people who refuse to make an attempt to understand why they kneel.

Are you OK not standing out against those who paint with this broad brush?
Not exactly sure what you mean, but I am very vocal in the fact I stand in support of those who kneel. IMO, my service was for freedom to choose, not tyranny to force.

Now, do I wish another platform was chosen for the protest? Most certainly. The topic is too important to cause division...the issue at hand should unite Americans not divide them. As a veteran, I understand why so many take offense, but I'm also not blind enough to not also recognize false patriotism...you know, the clowns who will condemn kneeling while standing in line for a beer chatting while ignoring the anthem playing in the in the stands above them.

I think Obama addressed it very well and recognized both sides.

Last edited:
Ya, but what did you think of the gun itself? Personally, I like the fact it's only 6-inches long and 4-inches high (I'm a small dude) and doesn't surrender magazine capacity by offering an 11+1 clip.

hellcat3.jpg

I'm not sure on the rules, but I think by using that word you've completely discredited yourself on any further gun talk.

On a more serious note. Does the +1 refer to one in the barrel?

I'm not sure on the rules, but I think by using that word you've completely discredited yourself on any further gun talk.
hehehe I half wondered if anyone would catch that. Here's what I originally typed: "...and doesn't surrender magazine capacity by offering an 11+1 capacity." It seemed redundant and bothered me, so I went with clip. I figured most in this thread were just complaining about gun love and wouldn't notice.

Does the +1 refer to one in the barrel?
Yes, well the chamber, not the barrel...or the firing cylinder (see, I can play too. ;)). There are two types of concealed carriers. Those who have one in the chamber and those who don't. @Jerome Silberman

On a more serious note. Does the +1 refer to one in the barrel?

Very close. It's in the chamber (which is the backend of the barrel). The difference is the chamber is basically contoured to the shell and not rifled while the barrel is more contoured to the bullet and rifled to create the spin on the bullet.

Very close. It's in the chamber (which is the backend of the barrel. (The difference is the chamber is basically contoured to the shell and not rifled while the barrel is more contoured to the bullet and rifled to create the spin on the bullet).
I beat ya by a few seconds @ghost80 :cool::D

Reactions: ghost80
hehehe I half wondered if anyone would catch that. Here's what I originally typed: "...and doesn't surrender magazine capacity by offering an 11+1 capacity." It seemed redundant and bothered me, so I went with clip. I figured most in this thread were just complaining about gun love and wouldn't notice.

Yes, well the chamber, not the barrel...or the firing cylinder (see, I can play too. ;)). There are two types of concealed carriers. Those who have one in the chamber and those who don't. @Jerome Silberman

What if I'm old school and sneak around with a revolver?

Reactions: lucas80
What if I'm old school and sneak around with a revolver?

Used to be many people did walk around with the hammer resting on an empty chamber (in the cylinder) too. Revolvers now have a safety mechanism that prevents the gun from discharging if dropped on the hammer. That wasn't always the case and it used to be that if you dropped a revolver on the hammer there was nothing stopping the spur from striking the primer and igniting the round in the chamber. IF you think about it for the hammer to be struck when dropped, the barrel would probably be in an upward position which meant the bullet could hit someone (or something).

First gun issued was an old unprotected spur gun which would have required me to carry it loaded with only 5 rounds. While I did accept it from the armory as a spare, like most guys I carried my own approved sidearm.

And what would he have said about a sleeve of an American flag?
My apologies. I missed this response. I doubt he would have said anything since he had a tattoo himself. Maybe I'm missing your point.

The rest of your post has little to do with the post you complained about with “Pre-Kap”.
I don't recall complaining about anything "Pre-Kap". However, I did make a few posts regarding the rhetoric I've seen in the years since the kneeling controversy started on how folks who do and do not kneel are viewed and I did refer to that time period as a "Post-Kap" period. I also clarified my position on kneeling to billanole above.

@theIowaHawk

My apologies. I missed this response. I doubt he would have said anything since he had a tattoo himself. Maybe I'm missing your point.

I don't recall complaining about anything "Pre-Kap". However, I did make a few posts regarding the rhetoric I've seen in the years since the kneeling controversy started on how folks who do and do not kneel are viewed and I did refer to that time period as a "Post-Kap" period. I also clarified my position on kneeling to billanole above.

@theIowaHawk

Your grandfather had an army tattoo therefore hed have no comment on a sleeve? I call bullshit.

Instead of trying to outthink “the point” you are concerned i was making, you could've just been honest and answered. To each their own.

Your grandfather had an army tattoo therefore hed have no comment on a sleeve? I call bullshit.

Instead of trying to outthink “the point” you are concerned i was making, you could've just been honest and answered. To each their own.
I assure you, I am not being obtuse. What am I missing regarding a sleeve tattoo? Is it taboo or something? I know my mom and wife doesn't like them, but I remember my Papaws Army tattoo. I also remember he never talked about the war until Saving Private Ryan came out. After that he shared a lot of his experiences with me. (a little of topic there, sorry)

Still sincerely curious about what I haven't answered. I'm usually pretty straight forward, so please ask again or maybe a different way (if you really want to know my thoughts on something, of course.)

@theIowaHawk
I have seen that clip of Obama before. It is one that everybody should watch and consider with an open mind. This was one that he nailed, IMO. Thanks, @alaskanseminole

My GF wants one too. Take a look at the new sig 365 SAS.

Last weekend had the chance to do a side my side of the Hellcat and SIG 365. Both are excellent carry guns but I've given the nod to the 365.

Here is why for me.

365 has been around the block, is readily avail, and has some "street" time. Many dealers have their Hellcats on backorder and there is no track record yet on the gun.

While both guns are quality pieces the SIG is mfg in the USA. The Hellcat is imported from Europe. All things equal I'll support US every time plus if something goes wrong and it has to go back to the mfg the time can be greatly increased if it has to go overseas.

Price. 365 was $30 cheaper for the Plain Jane model of each.

Big advantages of the Hellcat (1 extra round and optics) just weren't a big enough issue for me.

Sold my Glock 19 (4 Gen) and when Ruger sends me my replacement LC9s that will be relegated to a backup/spare to my 365. Hopefully it will last better with fewer rounds through it.

The 365 hits the range tomorrow and will be my new primary cc weapon.

Last weekend had the chance to do a side my side of the Hellcat and SIG 365. Both are excellent carry guns but I've given the nod to the 365.

Here is why for me.

365 has been around the block, is readily avail, and has some "street" time. Many dealers have their Hellcats on backorder and there is no track record yet on the gun.

While both guns are quality pieces the SIG is mfg in the USA. The Hellcat is imported from Europe. All things equal I'll support US every time plus if something goes wrong and it has to go back to the mfg the time can be greatly increased if it has to go overseas.

Price. 365 was $30 cheaper for the Plain Jane model of each.

Big advantages of the Hellcat (1 extra round and optics) just weren't a big enough issue for me.

Sold my Glock 19 (4 Gen) and when Ruger sends me my replacement LC9s that will be relegated to a backup/spare to my 365. Hopefully it will last better with fewer rounds through it.

The 365 hits the range tomorrow and will be my new primary cc weapon.
You gun nut, you. Why do you hate women and children?

Reactions: ghost80
Hitting the range with my 365 again today. Have put 1,100rds through it (plan to add 150 to the total today) and am both comfortable and feel the weapon is sufficiently broken in.

No issues with the 365. Comfortable with it as my primary CC.

Bumping to see if anyone has been shooting the Hellcat and has an opinion. Not out of the possibility in the future I could ditch my newly replaced LC9s and buy a Hellcat too. Happiness is a Warm Gun (or 2 or 3).

I saw a slickly made add that is designed to magnify irrational fears and spur panic buying. I saw a guy repeatedly shooting from the relative safety of an SUV, which led me to believe this is being marketed to gang bangers. Otherwise the rational act in that scenario is to put the SUV in drive and move to safety. I thought the scene were the guy extends his left hand and strikes the dummy attacker in the forehead would be the end of most muggings. The four shots to the torso and the head shot would be unnecessary in 98 percent of all muggings if the average person spent an hour taking a self defense class, and carried pepper spray. Or, just monitored their surroundings more carefully and avoided sketchy areas.
Tattoo guy looks like my stereotypical image of the people who have 20+ guns, and jerk off every day just hoping they get to shoot somebody some day.
I liked the one scene where after putting 4-5 rounds in the torso the dummy gets finished off with a head shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT