ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford wrestling saved

Is it. How many will stay? Who wants to go there now given the stability? Who are they getting for a coach?
Could you please elaborate here? Was Stanford a big draw for lots of top recruits? Did they have a top tier coach?

They’ll be in the market for the same recruits they always were and will have a serviceable coach.

Regardless of the quality of their wrestling, which just so happened to have championship level athletes this season, Stanford long prided itself on the number of intercollegiate athletic programs it fields. To have a school like that cut wrestling and these other sports was not a good thing for any of those 11 sports.

So from that standpoint, this is a good thing for those who like collegiate athletics- especially the Olympic ones which are truly collegial and not pseudo-pro

Could you please elaborate here? Was Stanford a big draw for lots of top recruits? Did they have a top tier coach?

They’ll be in the market for the same recruits they always were and will have a serviceable coach.

You think they are better off then they were before the announcement? They were trending well for them, grabbing a few top 100 recruits the two previous years. Who is going to be their coach, maybe they get someone better. I know the jobs are few and far between so chances are they can land on their feet, but I wonder if any assistant with something semi stable will go their given the situation. Toughest county for restrictions in the United States. Maybe they get some guys that are more interested in the education and decent wrestlers. If the qualifiers they had this last year don't stay I wonder the next time they will have a qualifier that scores any real points at NCAA's. The main point I was making was that the damage may already be done and that it could still be catastrophic, I hope I am wrong. For the moment it is a win but time will tell, and it very well could go they way you envision it.

You think they are better off then they were before the announcement? They were trending well for them, grabbing a few top 100 recruits the two previous years. Who is going to be their coach, maybe they get someone better. I know the jobs are few and far between so chances are they can land on their feet, but I wonder if any assistant with something semi stable will go their given the situation. Toughest county for restrictions in the United States. Maybe they get some guys that are more interested in the education and decent wrestlers. If the qualifiers they had this last year don't stay I wonder the next time they will have a qualifier that scores any real points at NCAA's. The main point I was making was that the damage may already be done and that it could still be catastrophic, I hope I am wrong. For the moment it is a win but time will tell, and it very well could go they way you envision it.
Perry?

This reminds me a bit of when Arizona State dropped wrestling. That action got Art Martori of Sunkist Kids and other donors to write big checks and, magically, wrestling was reinstated. As I understand it ( and, lord knows, I could be wrong) $11 million was pledged to save Stanford wrestling. Will that money end up in the Cardinal athletic department coffers? How much money would come in if Barta "dropped" wrestling?

Meh. They were nothing more then a mediocre team ever. Given their advantages in academics and location, I think it’d be very hard for them not to be similar to where they have been over the last decade.

This reminds me a bit of when Arizona State dropped wrestling. That action got Art Martori of Sunkist Kids and other donors to write big checks and, magically, wrestling was reinstated. As I understand it ( and, lord knows, I could be wrong) $11 million was pledged to save Stanford wrestling. Will that money end up in the Cardinal athletic department coffers? How much money would come in if Barta "dropped" wrestling?
That's a scary thought, GG. The loyalists with deep pockets penny up now, and it you tell them that the sky is falling too many times, they'll stop believing and stop giving.

Meh. They were nothing more then a mediocre team ever. Given their advantages in academics and location, I think it’d be very hard for them not to be similar to where they have been over the last decade.
That's fair. Some others making some very good points also. I guess I initially saw this just blowing up in their face, but they have some things to offer that could keep them status quo with what they have been doing.

Athletic Extortion, essentially.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT